Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Jackard posted:

I would consider Patrick's telepathy to be a tier one combat ability.

We haven't really seen any "supervillains" besides him and maybe Daniel

There was that telekinetic guy that the Guardians fought with Feral's crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well I was definitely wrong on which direction they planned to take this, but now that we're going down this road I'm really enjoying it and eager to see how Alison responds and grows from this.

I wonder who's going to be more resentful, Moonshadow or Pintsize?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I kinda figure if Feral isn't tier one then tier one basically becomes "just Allison and Cleaver" which is pretty much useless.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sonar is probably tier one in that he can hear a pin drop during rush hour. Perhaps hear a punch coming and dodge (most of) the blow.

It's just that bullets travel faster than sound.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

nimby posted:

Sonar is probably tier one in that he can hear a pin drop during rush hour. Perhaps hear a punch coming and dodge (most of) the blow.

We actually have no idea what he can do, much less that he can "hear a pin drop during rush hour"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

I kinda figure if Feral isn't tier one then tier one basically becomes "just Allison and Cleaver" which is pretty much useless.

I would gauge Tier One as being someone effectively unstoppable by a non-super. So Allison, who can knock down skyscrapers; Cleaver, whose body is made of swords; Patrick, who can manipulate people into anything.

That seems like a useful distinction to make, at least. Feral could be stopped by mundane means, just not killed or seriously injured. She doesn't appear to be exceptionally physically capable, so you could probably just pin her down.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nimby posted:

Just because you can hear (or see) punches coming doesn't mean you can dodge.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

idonotlikepeas posted:

Moonshadow has been consistently represented as overweight in the past. In the present, she's shaped up - we first see her in the present working out. I'd guess this has something to do with Alison leaving.

I like the parallel between her relationship with the Guardians and this sequence:

It's also interesting that the tier classification is at least partially political. It makes sense - the Guardians seem to be the major crime-fighting organization, when they were active, so classifying them all as tier one probably increases their value as a deterrent.

I think tiers might relate to how different your powers are from the norm even if they are non-combat related; but with the proviso that they're generally thought of as as combat related.

Someone who is Captain America strong is tier 3, someone who is Spider-man kind of strength is tier 2 and tier 1 is Alison. Similarly you could be a tier 3 person for having really top notch senses, tier 2 for wolverine type senses and tier 1 for really high-level senses plus extra senses which humans don't even have.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 22, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

team overhead smash posted:

Someone who is Captain America strong is tier 3, someone who is Spider-man kind of strength is tier 2 and tier 1 is Alison.

Spider-man would probably be Tier 1, but then again Spider-man never uses his full strength.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MikeJF posted:

Spider-man would probably be Tier 1, but then again Spider-man never uses his full strength.
Didn't someone control Spider-Man and punch a hole in someone by mistake? Maybe it was someone else.

DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.

Elysiume posted:

Didn't someone control Spider-Man and punch a hole in someone by mistake? Maybe it was someone else.

Doctor Octopus took over Spider-Man's body and tore off Scorpion's jaw in one punch.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MikeJF posted:

In this universe, spidey would probably be tier one, but nowhere near Alison-level within that - he's probably wind up mashing his hand on her if he punched her full pelt. From memory he's at the 'press around 10 tons' level.

The really interesting thing when considering tiers, is that all the ACTUAL tier one (i.e. people with ridiculous, world-altering or world-saving powers) all got killed off...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
but what tier would goku be?

please, tell me more about power levels

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PleasingFungus posted:

but what tier would goku be?

please, tell me more about power levels
Could Goku beat up Dr. Manhattan?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

thespaceinvader posted:

The really interesting thing when considering tiers, is that all the ACTUAL tier one (i.e. people with ridiculous, world-altering or world-saving powers) all got killed off...

Alison could change the world if she thought it through.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jackard posted:

Could Goku beat up Dr. Manhattan?

Unless he was fighting the Enterprise and a Star Destroyer at the same time: absolutely.

nimby posted:

Feral's storyline is a shameless ripoff of this comic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Feral's storyline is a shameless ripoff of this comic.

Yeah, but Weinersmith would realize that, while drug based painkillers may not work, just sticking a blade through the spinal cord and leaving it there through the surgery (to induce paralysis so she couldn't feel anything)1 would work.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

thespaceinvader posted:

In this universe, spidey would probably be tier one, but nowhere near Alison-level within that - he's probably wind up mashing his hand on her if he punched her full pelt. From memory he's at the 'press around 10 tons' level.

Spiderman is weird because most of the "official" stats are actually pretty drastic lowballs of what he can do in the actual comics. His thing is that he's actually stupid strong even for most superheroes but unlike most superheroes, he's fighting street-level guys more often than not and so he holds himself back to keep from pasting drug dealers across the sidewalk. As far as I'm aware, the 10 ton thing is more of a lower range of what he can do - he's chucked tanks at people before, and most tanks are in the 60-70 ton range.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, but Weinersmith would realize that, while drug based painkillers may not work, just sticking a blade through the spinal cord and leaving it there through the surgery (to induce paralysis so she couldn't feel anything)1 would work.

I thought about this, and my suspicion is that if they do this, her regeneration stops cold. She doesn't die, mind you, but she stops being properly alive until the shim is removed. It kinda-sorta makes sense?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
We don't quite know what it would do. It's basically magic that they're attempting to codify in a scientific fashion. Which is why so much of what they know is guesses based on observational data.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I thought about this, and my suspicion is that if they do this, her regeneration stops cold. She doesn't die, mind you, but she stops being properly alive until the shim is removed. It kinda-sorta makes sense?

Even if that were the case, they could harvest the organs just as easily with her being not-alive.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

MikeJF posted:

Even if that were the case, they could harvest the organs just as easily with her being not-alive.

Sure. Then they remove the shim, and she gets to feel them grow back. It's a modest improvement, but it's going to only mildly improve her comfort while drastically slowing donor organ production. I'm pretty sure if it was suggested to Feral, she'd tell us to go gently caress ourselves.

What she really needs is a hot girl to sit on her face during surgery.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

nimby posted:

Superman would be worked to death and nothing would actually change except some bank accounts if we are pretending to be realistic.

"But the brown people will die by the millions once he dies sir!" "Well then we better start charging them more for power while we can."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nimby posted:

In a very, very small way. She's strong, she's not loving superman. And the world is really, really, REALLY big. At a wild stab, she could probably run around a city-sized power station, best guess.

Have we seen whether she eats normally? Or does she have a ludicrously large diet like some superhero continuities force on their toughest?

The guy who I reckon has the biggest chance of changing the world, properly, of anyone we've seen in the comic so far? The long-distancer teleporter fashion designer. Depends on how much he can carry, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

The guy who I reckon has the biggest chance of changing the world, properly, of anyone we've seen in the comic so far? The long-distancer teleporter fashion designer. Depends on how much he can carry, though.

depends if he actually breaks causality

also i'm pretty sure that the superheros patrick were talking about werent actually tier 1, but their powers could actually meaningfully alter the status quo.

honestly that whole bit with the dead superheroes is probably one of the worst parts of the comic. Oh, a spooky illuminati that can conceal themselves even from the psychic guy managed to kill off all the really important superheroes before they can change the world because...why exactly? Because they're assholes?

it feels like comic book bullshit, for lack of a better term. I try to write it off as the webcomic trying to find its feet and using a poorly written, vaguely antagonistic force to kick off the plot.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

depends if he actually breaks causality

also i'm pretty sure that the superheros patrick were talking about werent actually tier 1, but their powers could actually meaningfully alter the status quo.

honestly that whole bit with the dead superheroes is probably one of the worst parts of the comic. Oh, a spooky illuminati that can conceal themselves even from the psychic guy managed to kill off all the really important superheroes before they can change the world because...why exactly? Because they're assholes?

it feels like comic book bullshit, for lack of a better term. I try to write it off as the webcomic trying to find its feet and using a poorly written, vaguely antagonistic force to kick off the plot.

Dude if you don't think the people in power regularly murder people who are upsetting the status quo I don't know what to tell you.

They do it to keep things the way they are, to keep milking the gravy train. Hell a lot of times the decisions are made at an abstract plausible deniability level. I doubt Muhtar Kent picks and chooses which union organizer get murdered, which gets tortured, and which gets bribed, but the order to keep things the way they are comes from on high and local thugs get hired and then it's all over but the screaming.

I back the idea Patrick is telling Alison what she wants to hear to manipulate her, but that people in power would start killing kids to keep their market share and relative position is the most plausible thing yet in this comic

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
I don't think it's meant to be an Illuminati Ruling Cabal Conspiracy either, that's the mistake that happens in a lot of examination of systemic forces ("what, now you're saying there's an active conspiracy of men to keep women down? because that's the only thing patriarchy could mean"). It seems like Patrick was just saying that any of the super-powered kids that would have posed a real threat to entrenched power groups were removed by those power groups, individually, just because that's how monopolistic powers operate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fried Chicken posted:

Dude if you don't think the people in power regularly murder people who are upsetting the status quo I don't know what to tell you.

They do it to keep things the way they are, to keep milking the gravy train. Hell a lot of times the decisions are made at an abstract plausible deniability level. I doubt Muhtar Kent picks and chooses which union organizer get murdered, which gets tortured, and which gets bribed, but the order to keep things the way they are comes from on high and local thugs get hired and then it's all over but the screaming.

I back the idea Patrick is telling Alison what she wants to hear to manipulate her, but that people in power would start killing kids to keep their market share and relative position is the most plausible thing yet in this comic

Yeah there doesn't even have to be a grand overarching illuminati for poo poo like this to happen, multiple pyramid schemes running in tandem will do the job just fine. That's what people fail to realize. Financial incentives coupled with power will do just fine, no secret society needed

Although in THIS case there probably is an Illuminati because the biodynamic phenomena is both A) probably manufactured and B) the people who killed those kids had pre-knowledge of their existence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You know I didn't ever realize that this was written by a man, which explains a lot. I always thought the creative team was the other way around. That a guy drew it and a woman wrote it.

This explains a lot.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
They co-write some of it, apparently.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Hollismason posted:

You know I didn't ever realize that this was written by a man, which explains a lot. I always thought the creative team was the other way around. That a guy drew it and a woman wrote it.

This explains a lot.

I'm pretty sure if she thinks it sucks she can tell him to fix it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Hollismason posted:

This explains a lot.
Could you elaborate on this?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Squidster posted:

Could you elaborate on this?

Oh if it was written by a woman, it'd be like this

From Kate Beaton's webcomic, but you probably already knew that.

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-31-4/

Proves that Sonar's powers aren't quite useless in a fight, though I still think giving him some marksmanship training and handgun would make him more effective in a fight against armed gangsters.

I'm also somewhat surprised that the government hasn't found less troublesome ways to employ all these young superheroes than simply having them fight mundane criminals. I'm having difficulty believing that a majority of them would insist on their daily work involving both use of their powers and fighting other people.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm surprised even if they did want them to go fight crime that they let them go do it alone against normal people rather than trying to integrate them into existing trained response units.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Showing them getting hurt puts this comic a world above things like Batman cartwheeling through machine gun fire without so much as a hole in his cape.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In this chapter the Guardians learn the difficulties of completing your run after the Tank quits.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Going from busting super villains to potheads, yeah I can see why that'd create some friction.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hey, she called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
At least this issue addresses the elephant in the room of " Everything these guys are doing is completely illegal in all courts of law" and how horrific battles of normal people vs. supers would be.

• Locked thread