Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It bothers me that in Mandrake humanity decided to build a colony on the moon instead of Mars. 50 000 years into the future. I mean even if the Earth is completely paved it's still not a worse place to live than the moon.

Fingerpori

- The police are asking to report sightings of a stolen sailboat
- I see thunder clouds and an oystercatcher

Purjeveneestä can mean both "of a sailboat" and "from a sailboat". Havainto means a sighting, an observation, a perception etc. (any occurence of witnessing something with one's sight, pretty much).

Fok_It

Video games!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Squishy posted:

Maybe it's a mouse getting stepped on, all you can see is a tail and a foot.
Well, a) it's a green mouse, and b) that doesn't make any more sense because at that point hominids had been up and running for 4-5 million years.

vvv yes :colbert:

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ghostlight posted:

Well, a) it's a green mouse, and b) that doesn't make any more sense because at that point hominids had been up and running for 4-5 million years.

This is a story about a magic man who is visited by a lady from the future with a time travel device shaped like a pie pan and this is where you're losing your suspension of disbelief?

Cul-de-sac

A hybrid of what? :psyboom:

The Creeps goons.png

Poptropica

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Paige mentioned something on her FB page regarding keying the date wrong at GoComics which is the cause for the missing Mon-Wed Jane's World strips. She posted them, but I'll be damned if I can find them on her page now. If I can re- turn them up, I'll post, but in the meantime, here are Thursday's and today's:

Sounds like maybe some sexy time happened earlier this week.

... and is about to occur again?

Non Sequitur

Yes, all banks are inherently corrupt, Wiley.

Here's yesterday's Heavenly Nostrils? Was Dana late again yesterday? I'm losing track. Anyway...

Kliban

I chuckled at at that... :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 7/25/2003

Just more BrookeSpeak®. Nothing to see here.

Zits

I knew this would happen. :v:

Kevin & Kell

God... :ughh: So do microbes have their own camp too? Are viruses, and bacteria seperated? Jeeze...

Right. :stare:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps goons.png

I can't wait for the strip in a few months where thin creep says 'turnips' and nobody will know what the gently caress.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy's friend keeps it in the family. (May 5, 1927)

Peanuts, featuring Good Ol' Chronic Depression Brown (July 28, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean, in which the Funkyverse gives Holly another big, wet smooch on forehead, and Garagecon Tony gives us genuine dealer-style horror.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 11-12, 1925)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

:(

The Dinette Set

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

Can't argue with that. I've decided on cheesecake for lunch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yes, all banks are inherently corrupt, Wiley.

Yes, they are. All forms of usury are predatory and if there is an objective measure of good or evil, banks are clearly the latter.

Now let's Stare at Animal Comix.

Pooch Café

What kind of bird are they supposed to be, anyway? I don't know, the colourist doesn't know, I don't even think Paul Gilligan knows.

Ballard Street

This is the greatest Ballard Street strip yet.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps goons.png

EasyEW posted:

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Thank you, Ballard Street. This was shaping up to be a really rough day :allears:

Wanamingo posted:

Dick Tracy

Speaking of rough, is it just me or is this the most hateful and worn-down that Gert has ever been shown as? Was that a thing in '90s-early '00s Tracy?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Heathcliff

There is no way that is not ape piss.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

That cow is raising so many questions. So many wonderful questions.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

I feel like Peanuts would have earned some of the same general reception Funky Winkerbean gets these days when it started pulling out strips like this one and Snoopy's night anxieties.

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blhue posted:

So is this actually happening at night and the colorist is a fuckup, or is Mary Worth a vampire, sleeping through the day?

You've never met an actual retiree, have you?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac

A hybrid of what? :psyboom:

It's an electric car joke. To be honest, I'm really not a fan of how the kids in this comic always talk and act like adults.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps goons.png

Holy poo poo. :negative:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Posting -- comics -- Howard the Duck? Yes

Next: COMICS

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That car is still an amazing example of design, and a number of auto manufacturers are incorporating elements of it in cars today. Those puffy front wheels are the driving motors, and later models had them on every hub. Three of them could burn out and the car would still keep going. The combustion engine only acted as a generator and didn't provide any direct power to the wheels, giving it a power-to-weight ratio that wouldn't be matched for decades.

The only problem was high fuel consumption from the always-on generator. If battery technology had been a little further along, every car would have followed the Lohner-Porsche Electromobile.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Darthemed posted:

I feel like Peanuts would have earned some of the same general reception Funky Winkerbean gets these days when it started pulling out strips like this one and Snoopy's night anxieties.

Someday we're going to have to explore the difference between a lovable loser and an unbearable downer, because that's the key to why Charlie Brown isn't Les Moore. That and not being allowed to age.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

I remember this one confusing me as a kid. I had only heard of ingredients used in the context of the thing under the nutrition facts on boxes. So I didn't think of this as eating the peanut butter, eating the jelly, eating the bread, but as in eating the flour, eating the dextrose, eating the yeast...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Someday we're going to have to explore the difference between a lovable loser and an unbearable downer, because that's the key to why Charlie Brown isn't Les Moore. That and not being allowed to age.

Also, Tom Bat is an unbearable prig who is convinced that he's not just drawing a comic strip, he's Doing Art, and it oozes through the tone of the strip (especially when it comes to Les). Schulz was never anywhere near as pompous.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Couldn't help myself.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You get that filth out of here.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wanamingo posted:

You've never met an actual retiree, have you?

It's an electric car joke. To be honest, I'm really not a fan of how the kids in this comic always talk and act like adults.

It's like a modern day Skippy at times - kids repeat things adults say but don't really understand what they mean, hence 'hybrid of what' :thejoke:

Other times it has the very best child logic ever like dill and the mail slot or the motor not working because it was full of parts!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Couldn't help myself.

Me neither.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Peanuts is relatable, though. We've all felt like Charlie Brown at one point or another. Batiuk just spreads his rear end in a top hat and shits tragedy all over his characters. "You get cancer! And you get cancer! And you get seriously injured in Afghanistan! And you lose your arm in a traffic accident or whatever! And here's a little moment of levity, some nice people helping out a lady doing something nice for her war veteran son, OH WAIT, HERE'S THE CANCER WIDOWER MOPING SOME MORE." Charlie Brown's just sort of a sadsack overreacting on feelings we've all had before. Winkerbean is just a cavalcade of meaningless misery written by a man who thinks that tragedy is inherently deep and artistic.

Also what Selachian said about Batiuk disappearing up his own rear end in a top hat with his delusions of artistry.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Except for the very first year or so of strips that have been posted here in the past, I have to admit that I've never really liked Peanuts. :( I don't hate it either I guess, but it's never really done anything for me. I guess I sort of like the Christmas cartoon, for nostalgic reasons.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

I didn't realize Emmy Lou was so progressive!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Third Murderer posted:

Except for the very first year or so of strips that have been posted here in the past, I have to admit that I've never really liked Peanuts. :( I don't hate it either I guess, but it's never really done anything for me. I guess I sort of like the Christmas cartoon, for nostalgic reasons.

I'm not a big fan of Peanuts either, and I've never really understood the fuss over the comic strip, but the Christmas special is a really, really superb piece of work.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Third Murderer posted:

I absolutely love the early years of Peanuts when the art was uniquely beautiful and there were typically 14 words total in each strip. But yeah, the strip that people usually think of when they think "Peanuts" has never seemed all that great to me. I don't find it strange that most people seem to love it so much, but it does make me happy to know that there are other people out there who don't really care for it.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Just adding my voice to all the others who can't believe we always used to skip over Prince Valiant as kids because it looked all boring and serious and grownup. I want to go back in time and smack the poo poo out of my dumb little kid self. Prince Valiant OWNS.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like pretty much all of Peanuts, but I did really like the old strips where Snoopy is actually a dog.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo totally went there. And isn't ashamed, either. :pervert: (July 27, 1956)

Bonus Peanuts will continue until morale improves. Or until I see a shiny red ball. Y'know, whatever comes first. (July 27, 1956)

Seriously, no harm in not feeling the love. It's very interesting that the ones who aren't into the "peak oil" Peanuts lean towards the year one strips, though.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 26, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good to know Charlie Brown's an Alan Kulwicki fan.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

EasyEW posted:

Bonus Peanuts will continue until morale improves. Or until I see a shiny red ball. Y'know, whatever comes first. (July 27, 1956)

Seriously, no harm in not feeling the love. It's very interesting that the ones who aren't into the "peak oil" Peanuts lean towards the year one strips, though.

Peak Peanut Oil? :rimshot:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Oh, Brother

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I don't know... I'm just not sure what...

OH! Ok! I got it now! Thanks, buddy!

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

"The best part of being in the papers is so that all my friends can see my achievements."

• Locked thread