Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
For some reason, I recall that Audi's were known for exploding their sunroofs sue to minor impacts or temperature changes, and it was suspected that improper installation at the factory was to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Speaking of blipshift shirts, how's the quality? People online were bitching and moaning about them being too thin or something. I typically wear undershirts and hang dry my T's.

Edit: read the blipshift site and see they've changed some stuff. Lightweight fitted it is!

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 26, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'm now aware of the terror I inspired in my parents when I borrowed their cars for the first time. I just lent my car to my dad in an interesting reversal due to the headlight relay in the F-250 failing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think it's safe to say something is hosed with my glucose meter.

Took 5 readings in a row, in 3 minutes, from the same bloodletting from my thumb.

Washed my hands again, and wiped down the finger with alcohol. 5 more readings, same piercing, still all over.

Time to raise hell with Bayer I guess. Or get a better reader.

e: instead of posting #s, posting screenshot from my tracking app. loving bizarre.

:wtc:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 26, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

E2M2 posted:

2014 Honda Accord. It was early in the morning, 5AM or so. Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento.

2014?

I'd be at the dealership raising hell!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I think it's safe to say something is hosed with my glucose meter.

Took 5 readings in a row, in 3 minutes, from the same bloodletting from my thumb.

Washed my hands again, and wiped down the finger with alcohol. 5 more readings, same piercing, still all over.

Time to raise hell with Bayer I guess. Or get a better reader.

e: instead of posting #s, posting screenshot from my tracking app. loving bizarre.

:wtc:

You've got really low compression on cylinder 3. You should do a leak down test.

E: God dammit, you edited you post between when I read it and hit quote.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been doing leak down tests multiple times a day since I got home from the hospital, I'm getting really sick of them.

A couple of them were really unexpected I need to rent a Rug Doctor or buy a new drivers seat :saddowns:

And you of all people should know I edit my posts like 20 times in 5 minutes :f5:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

I had one explode in a ford festiva. but it was some weirdass aftermarket one.

Stop getting erections in cars with sunroofs.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

mafoose posted:

2014?

I'd be at the dealership raising hell!

Yea, the Dealership was about 3 hours away. I just got a new one with someone's employee discount.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Stop getting erections in cars with sunroofs.

No one has ever gotten an erection in a Festiva.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

No one has ever gotten an erection in a Festiva.

Put a BP-T in one, and report back.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I see you've talked to DiscoMike.

The worst is the morons with a P38 that continue to throw random parts when you say "check relays, check fuse box and clean your electrical connections - start simple first" and completely ignore the advice only to see 10 posts later say "I replaced x relay and its fine" I even post a photo of the wiring diagram and they ignore it.

Or the "is a P38 reliable?" Posters. When you go through the list of common broken poo poo (everything) and say I hope you have a back up ride and other posters are saying that your full of poo poo only to see the posts they have issues with the exact same poo poo you mentioned.... gently caress them. I just stay off there and chat with CSB on rover poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The worst is the morons with a P38 that continue to throw random parts when you say "check relays, check fuse box and clean your electrical connections - start simple first" and completely ignore the advice only to see 10 posts later say "I replaced x relay and its fine" I even post a photo of the wiring diagram and they ignore it.

Or the "is a P38 reliable?" Posters. When you go through the list of common broken poo poo (everything) and say I hope you have a back up ride and other posters are saying that your full of poo poo only to see the posts they have issues with the exact same poo poo you mentioned.... gently caress them. I just stay off there and chat with CSB on rover poo poo.

othercarforums.txt

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

E2M2 posted:

Yea, the Dealership was about 3 hours away. I just got a new one with someone's employee discount.

From the dealer you bought from or any Honda dealer? That's definitely an issue I would raise hell with at a dealer, it's a little late now but you can go and ask for reimbursement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

WTF
Actually I accidentally rubbed my eye after touching a chile yesterday. Thankfully, it was a very mild one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife is a bad good influence.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Protip: If you ever wanna get a part-time job... don't be a mechanic. I'm going to school, and every listing/place I call wants full-time availability, mon-sat.

I get why that is, but it kind of loving sucks when I'm looking for a job that won't pay poo poo and I actually have experience in.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Someone please find this warehouse and empty it! http://sfglobe.com/?id=2048

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
ACEofsnett's sunroof on his truck spontaneously exploded while we were out 4 wheeling once... I look in the rearview and he isn't moving, just picking broken glass out of his hair. Without an obstacle capable of damaging a sunroof anywhere nearby. :wtf:

Not really sure why, we assumed a small tree branch brushing it sent it over the edge but it was probably thermal stress.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

thegasman2000 posted:

Someone please find this warehouse and empty it! http://sfglobe.com/?id=2048

Thats neat but I wish I was warned I was giving a click bait headline a view beforehand.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

gently caress FCP. They erroneously canceled my order and then refused to honor the next-day shipping of my original order that I paid 70 loving dollars for. The guy I talked to was basically like whoops, they could've at least thrown me a coupon code or upgraded my shipping for free.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ah the stuff we send to scrap. Uninstalling the kraken supercomputer, these pipes are from the cooling plumbing. Nice high pressure rated stainless steel. Wish I could think of a good use for it...we have a ton of lots of sizes and lengths. At least we're using the scrap money to throw a party.

Also have about 2k worth of custom built aluminum radiators, I might grab a couple of those for projects.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

WTF
Actually I accidentally rubbed my eye after touching a chile yesterday. Thankfully, it was a very mild one.

I was cutting a bunch jalapenos for relish once and when I was done went to take a leak. Yup.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

leica posted:

I was cutting a bunch jalapenos for relish once and when I was done went to take a leak. Yup.

I did that except I got much more intimate with myself. NEVER AGAIN

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Related to my post above what would be the best way to cut a lot of stainless steel pipe? Horizontal band saw with a stainless blade? We have 1000+lb of pipe with aluminum and copper fittings, if I chop the fittings off it's worth three times as much and I can keep the difference.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

Did that once, after finely dicing habaneros. I was extremely close to rushing out into the kitchen and dousing myself in milk.

I wear latex gloves now for any pepper cooking.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Related to my post above what would be the best way to cut a lot of stainless steel pipe? Horizontal band saw with a stainless blade? We have 1000+lb of pipe with aluminum and copper fittings, if I chop the fittings off it's worth three times as much and I can keep the difference.

Portable or horizontal band saw would be fine, not sure about blades though, sorry.

Radiator replacement on the fiat was a breeze, I got a cheap temp sensor as a blanking plug, they had no large sump plugs but £3 for a sensor was better than driving elsewhere. Flush with success I tried fixing the dodgy window switches and one exploded into brittle plastic bits, which is annoying. Then I riveted some perforated ally scraps together as a boy racery rad guard, it looks terrible but the wife loves it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cross-postin':

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

A bandsaw might do the job, but it really depends how hardened the stainless is. If it's hard (as I suspect it may be for high pressure piping) you may be better off with an abrasive chop saw, as you'll burn through bandsaw blades pretty fast trying to cut very hard material. That said, most hardened stainless is still not terribly hard, so you may be fine. You can get carbide bandsaw blades, but I think they're probably ludicrously expensive. The downside of the chop saw would be that it's way louder, more dangerous (abrasive cutting discs can shatter) and produces a lot of dust rather than chips.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

A bandsaw might do the job, but it really depends how hardened the stainless is. If it's hard (as I suspect it may be for high pressure piping) you may be better off with an abrasive chop saw, as you'll burn through bandsaw blades pretty fast trying to cut very hard material. That said, most hardened stainless is still not terribly hard, so you may be fine. You can get carbide bandsaw blades, but I think they're probably ludicrously expensive. The downside of the chop saw would be that it's way louder, more dangerous (abrasive cutting discs can shatter) and produces a lot of dust rather than chips.
Chop saw with a carbide blade or something is what I'm starting to lean towards. Will be noisy and dusty as hell but that's kind of expected. I should be able to weigh what we have next week so I can figure out if it's worth the time to mess with it all. It's a lot of stupid little cuts to mess with and would be time consuming but it would be easy and I think worth a few hundred at least.

Phone posted:

Cross-postin':

Looks like a Miata engine, what's the success in that? What are you working on now?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looks like a Miata engine, what's the success in that? What are you working on now?

Bought a 2001 for $700 that had understeered off a gravel road. Went half in with asmasm ( http://tinyurl.com/pzcxkp6 ). He wants the VVT motor, I wanted the transmission, and sell the rest for sweet, sweet profit. It's been sitting in my driveway for the past 2 weeks, so today was the start date for pulling this hunk of poo poo apart.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Phone posted:

Cross-postin':

Go back and take that photo with the obligatory middle finger you pleb. I see the automotive, but it's missing the insanity.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

NitroSpazzz posted:

Chop saw with a carbide blade or something is what I'm starting to lean towards. Will be noisy and dusty as hell but that's kind of expected.

Don't do this. Stainless is stupidly sensitive to coolant/lubrication and rate of cut. Go with an abrasive cut off saw. It's messy and stupid loud but you don't have to lubricate it. Just go hog wild.

Wear ear and eye protection, and you can buy a cheap one at harbor freight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Old rad from my wife's car, was chilling perfectly but had a slight weep from a rock ding

Obligatory

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cancelled OnStar, as the insurance discount is no longer worth it. Their billing system is a clusterfuck that would make 70s GM assembly lines proud (I'm still getting collection calls from them for switching my payment method.. when I brought payment current months ago, and they randomly change my monthly rate).

Just looked at my bank account. There's an authorization hold from OnStar, for the exact amount of what was in the account, dated today (well, yesterday now). :wtc: That makes the 3rd time they've done this. I called them back, they said they don't see any pending charges, my account is closed and shows paid in full, and my next billing date was several days away anyway. So I'm taking it up with the bank once it posts.

Also found out a friend is likely going to jail - he just got a DUI while on probation (DUI wasn't for alcohol, most recent probation was for being pulled over with a drug collection that would make Hunter S. Thompson cream his pants, and it's not his first or even second drug offense. He gave me his ... collection. Some of it is stuff even I'm scared to touch.

leica posted:

Been there done that, right up with the ol' taint scratch... then grabbing the tip to shake off the last bit of dew drops. If my parents hadn't seen fit to remove that extra bit of skin early in my life, that part wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

Some of the hotter jalapenos I've eaten too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This is happening right now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

This is happening right now.

Yesssss! Do you have a camera for video? Id love to hear it ripping around the track.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fart Pipe posted:

Yesssss! Do you have a camera for video? Id love to hear it ripping around the track.

Incar video will be had. Not sure how audible the exhaust note will be but this car knows how to make some noise, so maybe.

Edit: RallyX is fun but always involves a whole bunch of sittin around staring at some dude's bumper.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like when life starts going well, no real problems that a stiff drink at the end of the day can't fix.

Then some loving prick from my past decides to open his mouth, accuse me of cheating on my girlfriend and cause a huge clusterfuck in the middle of my day.

• Locked thread