Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Midorka posted:

Oh, well I feel dumb. I didn't even know there was a Mad Dog Pro. Sorry for wasting your time.

For what it's worth, the LCD2 seems to have the same cord positioning.

Edit: Finished my review of the Rock-It R-50. The short of it is that these are excellent IEMs for those who don't need sub-bass rumble. Excellent for almost everything that isn't bass heavy electronic music.

Yeah I have never used any of the other mad dog's but I can say the pro is the best pair of headphones I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hamelekim posted:

I would suggest IEMs rather than noise-cancelling, if you don't mind having something in your ear. Specifically, using foam or triple flange tips. If you really want to get wild, you can go with a pair of custom IEMs, or get some decent IEMs and then get some custom moulds made. In the end the sound will likely be better than what you pay for noise-cancelling headphones, and you get better isolation.

I would suggesting reading up on the noise-cancelling headphones at the following link http://www.headphone.com/collections/noise-cancelling-headphones. If you want bose, which have the best noise-cancelling, they are going to cost you 300+ dollars, and the audio quality is not very good compared to other headphones.

As I said, I would suggest going with IEMs rather than headphones with active-noise cancelling. You just need to find the right pair that seal out enough outside sound. Anything with foam or triple flange should do the trick.

Hmm. I've been trying some (admittedly cheapo) triple flange tips on my Pistons, and I really don't find them comfortable at all.

Also I find it hard to imagine that just isolation will help in this case - the noise is really pervasive - and I know that my colleagues who have noise cancelling really seem to think it makes a difference. But maybe it's all snake oil and it's just gonna be a side effect of flying in a tiny plane. I guess even if I didn't hear the sound of the engines at all, I'd still be feeling the vibration and that's pretty uncomfortable as well.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
My Sennheiser HD201s finally died after many years of use and I'm looking to maybe step things up a bit this time.

Budget - $100
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Not really. I'm open to either, but I'd prefer closed.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear. Comfort is important as I generally sit for a long time listening to music.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD201: Great headphones. Very comfortable good sound.
Sony MDR-XD300: Also very comfortable. Loved the sound.
Preferred Music - Rock

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Midorka posted:

Edit: Finished my review of the Rock-It R-50. The short of it is that these are excellent IEMs for those who don't need sub-bass rumble. Excellent for almost everything that isn't bass heavy electronic music.

I bought a pair of these a while back for work. Your review seems pretty spot on as far as my experience goes.

Other than that, I've had the tip pop off the earbud a couple times. Usually if I'm in a hurry to get them off for a work conversation or something. One even got stuck in my ear briefly. That was exciting.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

ineptmule posted:

Hmm. I've been trying some (admittedly cheapo) triple flange tips on my Pistons, and I really don't find them comfortable at all.

Also I find it hard to imagine that just isolation will help in this case - the noise is really pervasive - and I know that my colleagues who have noise cancelling really seem to think it makes a difference. But maybe it's all snake oil and it's just gonna be a side effect of flying in a tiny plane. I guess even if I didn't hear the sound of the engines at all, I'd still be feeling the vibration and that's pretty uncomfortable as well.

In all fairness, there's a world of difference in the isolation between the Pistons and most any Etymotic, a company who also makes professional earplugs. A good seal in your ears with a set of ER-4's will make the sound of your body louder to you than airliner noise. Right now I have a set of Etymotic EREK-5's in and am snapping my fingers in front of my face. I hear it as much through the inside as the outside.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ineptmule posted:

The Pistons don't isolate particularly well, so they really can't be used for a meaningful comparison here.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I ended up getting the Pistons for work and portable gaming / working out, but wanted to give a comparison against an older pair of $100 buds, Shure SE210s.

Simply put, they aren't quite as nice, highs are a bit tinny, base doesn't get quite as low as the more expensive buds. The sound isolation isn't fantastic, but the Shures are a bit unrivaled in that area, as I once used them as makeshift earplugs when my newborn was crying like crazy and I tried to hold him until he calmed down. That said, if you aren't comparing them with something 4 times as expensive, they sound pretty damned good, and are a bit more comfortable than the Shures. So yeah, if you need a good, cheap pair of earphones that are probably better sounding then anything else in it's price range, you can't do much better than the Pistons.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ineptmule posted:

It seems like this thread always jumps to the opinion that there are no good reasons to use active noise canceling.

I own doctor-molded in-ears, but I still like my cheap ANC headphones for short flights, especially now that the electronics ban is gone and I don't have to hide my 'phones.

There's no pressure in my ears and I can slide them off quickly to tell the flight attendant that "No, I don't want peanuts, and thanks for waking me to ask."

I think the $60 Noisehush i7's are a pretty good Bose clone. I've compared them beside the real deal and was glad I saved my money. They're not hi-fi, but they're comfortable, have adequate sound quality, and the ANC is decent.

There's also the Monoprice set for $100 which have some positive reviews.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The thing is that ANC won't do much that a good pair of full-sized passive isolation headphones can't do.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Midorka posted:

The thing is that ANC won't do much that a good pair of full-sized passive isolation headphones can't do.

Maybe I'm a rube, but they seem to cut out more low end rumble than 280-pros ever did.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Basically, flying in a private plane isn't all its cracked up to be :(

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Can anyone recommend a decent (but reasonably priced) pair of wireless (bluetooth) earplugs? I don't need anything fancy, just want to listen to music/audio books without dealing with wires. Budget of $100-150.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of portable/travel headphones.

Budget - $75-$125
Source - Phone, which is currently a Nexus 5
Isolation Requirements - As much as reasonably possible since they'll be used mostly for travel.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural though would be okay with supra as well
Preferred Tonal Balance - Fairly balanced with a firm bass.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 515 is the only decent pair I've ever owned and I'm pretty happy with their sound. If I could get the portable version of that I would be thrilled. I guess what I like most is the clarity and soundstage.
Preferred Music - Mostly indie/alt rock and a bit of rap and electronic

McKracken fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 17, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
^^ e: This applies to you too, if you want bluetooth headphones.

Apoffys posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent (but reasonably priced) pair of wireless (bluetooth) earplugs? I don't need anything fancy, just want to listen to music/audio books without dealing with wires. Budget of $100-150.

I know you've asked for IEMs, but if you are okay with over-ear headphones I honestly don't think you can do better than a pair of mrd-10rbt headphones. They run about 120$ and are completely worth it.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 18, 2014

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Trompe le Monde posted:

My 6-7 year old gaming headset is dying slowly and right now I can afford to buy some new headphones so I thought, after reading this thread, that I might go for decent non-gaming specific headphones and maybe get a usb mic at some point if I need to. I don't know anything about audio stuff at all.

Budget - 150 NZD (132 USD right now apparently) max, although I'd prefer lower
Source - For use in my computer only.
Isolation Requirements - My computer is in my room so I don't really need any isolation.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural preferably or supa-aural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bassy
Past Headphones - lovely gaming headphones that were actually pretty comfortable after being worn in.
Preferred Music - Everything at some point, but primarily electronica, rock, jazz and rap.

Comfort is probably one of my top priorities as sometimes I can be wearing my headphones for 3-4 hours at a time. And again, I don't know anything about audio stuff. Is 3.5mm preferred to USB? I'm ready to make the transition to decent quality audio. My body is ready.

Didn't get any recommendations for this yet; I'm in NZ so anything that I'd have to import would be unideal

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

^^ e: This applies to you too, if you want bluetooth headphones.

I know you've asked for IEMs, but if you are okay with over-ear headphones I honestly don't think you can do better than a pair of mrd-10rbt headphones. They run about 120$ and are completely worth it.

Thanks, but I need something a bit smaller. Doesn't have to be in-ear, but I'd feel a bit silly walking around with that on the street.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Id like to pick up a pair of pistons... is boat2014 on Amazon the only reliable source we know of?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Travic posted:

My Sennheiser HD201s finally died after many years of use and I'm looking to maybe step things up a bit this time.

Budget - $100
Source - PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear. Comfort is important as I generally sit for a long time listening to music.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD201: Great headphones. Very comfortable good sound.
Preferred Music - Rock

I've been stuck at the same place for a decade but each time I just end up getting another pair of HD201s.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Travic posted:

Budget - $100
Source - PC
Preferred Music - Rock
NVX XPT100

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

GokieKS posted:

I would want something that both bands would rest on. The Audio-Technica HPS550 would definitely be the best choice, but yeah, I'm not really thrilled with paying $85+ for one. I ended up ordering this - while I really don't love the Omega design, at least it looks better in acrylic than wood and it's pretty cheap.

So, the acrylic omega headphone stands turned out to be pretty mediocre, mostly because it's narrower than the wood ones - the W1000 pads actually hang off it on both edges, which leads to an indentation on the fabric of the cups.

I thought about getting in the Massdrop knock-off wooden omega stands, but inconsistent build and finish quality, along with the long wait, made me kind of iffy. In the ended I just sucked it up and ordered the A-T HPS550, since I found a seller on Amazon from whom I could get it for a decent price after EMS shipping.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this acrylic one though, since I'm keeping my old HD600s on the chrome banana hanger that it's been on for over a decade. Maybe I'll pick up a pair of smaller headphones that will fit on it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I travel regularly for work, so I'm looking for more compact headphones (already own ATH-M50s). Are the DT-1350s good for rap and indie electronic (Cut Copy, Postal Service, Crystal Castles), or are there any others I should consider in the same price range?

edit:

Budget - $150-$200
Source - iPhone 5S, Macbook Air (with Komplete Audio 6 interface at times)
Isolation Requirements - Preferred
Preferred Type of Headphone - On or over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - More balanced, if possible
Past Headphones - ATH-M50
Preferred Music - Rap, indie electronic, post-punk and new wave. Also for occasional studio monitoring with Ableton/Maschine.

second edit: Found my old pair of ATH-WS55, which are great for traveling. $200 saved!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 22, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Syano posted:

Id like to pick up a pair of pistons... is boat2014 on Amazon the only reliable source we know of?

Many of the YouTube reviewers I've seen who linked them from Amazon link boat2014 as the supplier.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
My friend's dog ate my previous IEMs and I'm looking for something new.

Budget - $100-$200
Source - Rockbox Sansa, Laptop, maybe phone.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral/Balanced
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD580, Etymotic Research ER6i
Preferred Music - EDM, Punk, Jazz, Rock, Spokenword/podcasts.

Looking at headfi lists etc I think I have it narrowed it down to; Rock-It Sounds R50, HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline, and VSonic VC1000. Am I overlooking anything significant? Has anyone used more than one of these and have input on them?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Syano posted:

Can we just put this in the title? 'Pistons ---> boat2014' or something? It gets asked on like every page.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

NOTinuyasha posted:

Can we just put this in the title? 'Pistons ---> boat2014' or something? It gets asked on like every page.

No, because they're poo poo. They're for poors like yourself.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

z06ck posted:

No, because they're poo poo. They're for poors like yourself.

I know you are trolling (right?) but am curious what other headphone that costs $25 is considered superior?

Not poor. Just knows that travel knockaround headphones shouldn't be $700 ones.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
I'm asking for a friend's daughter who needs a headset for learning Spanish.

Budget - ~$30
Source - Laptop, maybe iPad
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear
Use - Speech

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

hotsauce posted:

I know you are trolling (right?) but am curious what other headphone that costs $25 is considered superior?

Not poor. Just knows that travel knockaround headphones shouldn't be $700 ones.

Honestly I just use crappy audio technica ck55 for knockaround headphones. They seem to work out alright.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

biggfoo posted:

My friend's dog ate my previous IEMs and I'm looking for something new.

Budget - $100-$200
Source - Rockbox Sansa, Laptop, maybe phone.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD580, Etymotic Research ER6i
Preferred Music - EDM, Punk, Jazz, Rock, Spokenword/podcasts.

Looking at headfi lists etc I think I have it narrowed it down to; Rock-It Sounds R50, HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline, and VSonic VC1000. Am I overlooking anything significant? Has anyone used more than one of these and have input on them?

I love the R-50 for everything but electronic. Guitars are phenomenal on them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Midorka posted:

NVX XPT100

These look perfect. Thanks for the advice. I'm really interested in stepping into higher quality sound without getting uncomfortable headphones and these look to fit the bill perfectly.

Just as an aside how much better would a circumaural open headphone sound? I'm willing to give them a try if the sound quality improvement is worth the sound leak.

Everything I've been reading says the Grado Sr-80i is the best sub $100 headphone on the market. Are they really as uncomfortable as everyone says?

Travic fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 22, 2014

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Welp, just discovered a short in my Koss Portapro headphones. Guess I could send them in for the warranty, but considering I know jack poo poo about headphones, I'd like to know if there's anything around the same price range that has better sound.

Budget: $40-50
Source: PC
Isolation Requirements: Prefer open.
Preferred type of headphone: Over-ear
Preferred tonal balance: Neutal/balanced I guess, though it would be cool if the headphones had the capability for strong bass.
Past headphones: Koss Portapro, Koss KSC75
Preferred music: Rock, metal, electronic, also play a lot of video games.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Travic posted:

These look perfect. Thanks for the advice. I'm really interested in stepping into higher quality sound without getting uncomfortable headphones and these look to fit the bill perfectly.

Just as an aside how much better would a circumaural open headphone sound? I'm willing to give them a try if the sound quality improvement is worth the sound leak.

Everything I've been reading says the Grado Sr-80i is the best sub $100 headphone on the market. Are they really as uncomfortable as everyone says?

The biggest differences between open and closed is that open headphones tend to have a more spacious, speaker like, sound. Closed headphones tend to have better bass response though. These are generalities though, not absolutes. The XPT100 have a sound as open as many open headphones while the SR80i have a very narrow soundstage, sort of like the music is being injected into your ear, rather than surrounding it.

The SR80i, which I own and will never sell, are excellent headphones. They have character and a bright and aggressive sound, but I would not recommend them unless you have a very specific taste in music. They also aren't circumaural, they are on-ear.

The XPT100 are one of my most recommended headphones because they do most things really well, are built well, come with extra pads, and have removable cables. It's hard to find a better bang for your buck in my experiences. The SR80i make for brilliant complementary headphones, but I don't think that I can fully recommend them to anyone who listened to a variety of music.

Edit: The SR80i comfort is not that bad unless you quarter mod them. Quarter modding them gives them a bolder, more polarizing sound, but also enhances what they do best.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Apparently these are the same as the XPT100s - is that true? The XPT100 is bloody impossible to get in the UK :smith:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Apparently these are the same as the XPT100s - is that true? The XPT100 is bloody impossible to get in the UK :smith:

Yup, without the warranty or pads that NVX made.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Midorka posted:

Yup, without the warranty or pads that NVX made.

How much are the pads worth it and do you know how the hell to get a pair in the UK?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

How much are the pads worth it and do you know how the hell to get a pair in the UK?

I haven't used the Jaycars so I don't know the quality of their pads, but I liked the NVX ones over the Brainwavz HM5 pads. As for getting them in the UK, no idea.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I totally forgot to post my trip report with the Valhalla 2, using my Essence STX as DAC and the HD 800s as headphones. The Valhalla 2 has been described as basically a tube amp that is still very neutral and I'd agree. What I really noticed was that I was able to have the same sound stage and separation that the Essence STX provided but all around the volume knob. On the STX I had to really crank it up (around 80% total output volume) on the highest gain levels and be in ASIO mode only to have the sound properly wrap around my head, while using the Valhalla as an amp in hi-gain mode lets me achieve the same thing with just normal "DS" output in Foobar with more of a range of volume. In fact, I've been hovering from 20-30% (modern "louder" music) to 50-60% (old school jazz, classical etc.). I couldn't see going louder than that for any extended period and not having your ears hurt after a while.

The bass definitely has more weight to it but never steps on anything, so I am pretty pleased. Sound overall is extremely clean and I don't notice any unpleasant "treble spikes" which some people have complained about when listening on the HD 800s. As for the tubes themselves, you'll only hear that "tube hum" in the background if you are playing no audio and turn the volume up to around 75-80% or more using the hi-gain toggle.

I find it strange that ASIO makes a huge difference on the STX when it is acting as an amp and absolutely none when it is only acting as a DAC. It may have to do with some ASUS setting on the card's control panel that is being bypassed in ASIO mode when it is acting as an amp. I ran it in "Hi-Fi" mode, which turns off all processing, EQ and effects, so your guess is as good as mine. Side note about Schiit customer service - I stupidly forgot my apartment number (recently moved out into a condo) and they responded within an hour to my query even though it was the end of the day. Though the amp had already shipped, they contacted Fedex the next day, had them change the address and emailed me along the way with status updates about the situation. It was a big relief for me.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 24, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
NVX headphones just came in the mail and I'm listening to them right now. So far I like them. Sound is excellent. They are very light despite their size and they are super comfortable. I'm using the flat pads, but I'll try the angled pads later today.

The only thing that put me off about them was that they isolate so well that I felt like I was under water for a while when I first started using them. I was even unconsciously trying to pop my ears for a while. I've since gotten used to it so it's not nearly as bad.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I'm looking to upgrade my headphones. in-built mic and media controls are necessary.

I'd like to step up in sound quality relative to my previous and current 'phones.

Budget:<= $200
Source: iPhone 5/256kbps audio
Isolation Requirements: Would like to block out inane chatter around me in bars/on public transport, along with associated engine noise. Would also like to avoid any audio leakage annoying others.
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM or Earbud, but open to other suggestions.
Preferred Tonal Balance: "balanced" relative to my listening preferences I guess.
Past Headphones: AudioFly AF45m (current), Sennheiser CX300-II (prior - blew them out after 18 months), Standard EarPods.
Preferred Music: Metallica, Eminem, EDM, Blues, guitar based Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
My headset is like 7-8 years old and hurts my ears with extended use, so upgrade time is here. Comfort's important, but I want to have some decent quality this time around as well. I don't know anything about headphones though.

Budget: preferably no more than €100 (about $135?)
Source: PC
Isolation Requirements: Using it in my room, so I guess it's not required.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced I guess? Although maybe for movies a strong bass would be good too.
Past Headphones: Creative HS-600. Sound was acceptable I guess, but I never had anything to compare. Also, they chafed my ears after a while, hence the over-ear preference.
Preferred Music: Kind of a mish-mash, lots of film music though. Also some gaming and lots of tv shows / movies.

Some headsets have surround sound, is that any good? Also, are wireless headphones worth bothering with?

Rad Gravity fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 27, 2014