Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

Lets say I wanted to run 400mA DC through a 28-awg wire, insulated, and part of a larger bundle...reasonable? I'm okay with "some" heating, and the 400mA is the absolute maximum which would not occur continuously. This violates the power transmission rating (225mA or so), but my understanding is this basically means no heating at all.

According to this:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~ecelabs/appnotes/PDF/techdat/CCCofCC.pdf

It shouldn't be a problem.

Any idea for average current/duty cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Lets say I wanted to run 400mA DC through a 28-awg wire, insulated, and part of a larger bundle...reasonable? I'm okay with "some" heating, and the 400mA is the absolute maximum which would not occur continuously. This violates the power transmission rating (225mA or so), but my understanding is this basically means no heating at all.

According to this:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~ecelabs/appnotes/PDF/techdat/CCCofCC.pdf

It shouldn't be a problem.

Those charts are typically de-rated heavily but also don't forget voltage drop. If you're trying to transmit low voltage power it can add up.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Aurium posted:

Any idea for average current/duty cycle?

Really hard to say - its ultimately driving a motor whose load changes dynamically. It certainly won't be at 100% for any extended periods of time. I'd estimate maybe something like ~200mA 2/3rd of the time + 400mA 1/3rd =~ 266mA average.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

asdf32 posted:

Those charts are typically de-rated heavily but also don't forget voltage drop. If you're trying to transmit low voltage power it can add up.

It's only about 3 feet, so < 0.5 ohms. At 400mA, that's a power dissipation of 0.08W, which isn't much.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

It's only about 3 feet, so < 0.5 ohms. At 400mA, that's a power dissipation of 0.08W, which isn't much.

Well I was talking about voltage drop. If you have 0.5 ohms on each wire, positive and negative, then it's 1 ohms total for a drop of 0.4V at 400mA. That may not be insignificant if you're working with 3.3 or 5V.

(Looking at actual numbers it looks like you're at just about 0.5 ohms total for 6' of 28awg)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At 5 volts, 6 feet of 28ga aluminum wire will drop about 0.5 volts, yeah. If you go up to, say, 22ga you're down to 0.1 volts drop. What's the reason you have to use the tiny stuff? Is it already wired into a harness or something?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
How would I convert 450 VDC into 240 VAC with 95% efficiency while handling up to 2 kVA loads in less than 40 cubic inches?

I'm asking for a friend...

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

Really hard to say - its ultimately driving a motor whose load changes dynamically. It certainly won't be at 100% for any extended periods of time. I'd estimate maybe something like ~200mA 2/3rd of the time + 400mA 1/3rd =~ 266mA average.

These estimates make it sound fine. Is this a one off? Can you build it up and take some data?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Stabby McDamage posted:

How would I convert 450 VDC into 240 VAC with 95% efficiency while handling up to 2 kVA loads in less than 40 cubic inches?
Zero Point Modules can sustain higher loads than that and roughly fit within the size requirements. They house a pocket of subspace-time known as a quantum foam (subatomic wormholes constantly opening and closing and fading in and out of subspace). Zero Point energy can be extracted as AC voltage from this pocket by employing a crystaline matrix. I think the reason you don't see them used for this application already is that there's nowhere in this universe to plug the DC power into. Mouser lists them but doesn't stock them, so you'll need to order them at least 12 parsecs in advance.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A parsec is a unit of length, not time.

:goonsay:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Stabby McDamage posted:

I know the answer, but for a million dollars I'm going to keep it to myself.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Stabby McDamage posted:

While I'm fully aware that "that's not how poo poo works", I'm also looking at my 3400W audio amplifiers, which have absolutely no trouble feeding you a pure sine wave at 60Hz forever...

...except they weigh 40 pounds. Still, 3-4U rackspace.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm thinking about entering it actually, similar to my graduate research where I built a 10kW model -- but that was purely industrial and based around SiC JFETs. I've got the hardware I want to use for this in mind already to boot...

Don't know if I can afford the development solo though, the test equipment needed will be pretty expensive.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

At 5 volts, 6 feet of 28ga aluminum wire will drop about 0.5 volts, yeah. If you go up to, say, 22ga you're down to 0.1 volts drop. What's the reason you have to use the tiny stuff? Is it already wired into a harness or something?

Yeah, it's part of an already existing custom cable bundle, and it would be preferable not to have buy new stuff.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Are Weller soldering irons still the way to go? What's the functional difference between this and this?

If it helps, I need this to assemble an ErgoDox keyboard although I occasionally find myself with projects that involve soldering.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mr. Glass posted:

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Are Weller soldering irons still the way to go? What's the functional difference between this and this?
The WES51 has a temperature setting, the other one only has a power setting.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Ah, so the station part of the WLC100 is just a glorified lamp dimmer?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mr. Glass posted:

Looks like it from the description, I have never used one myself.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

Yes, it is. That said I've used one and they're as good as that style gets. The wes51 is definitely worth the upgrade though.

Hakko is another good brand. The fx888d is beloved. They don't sell one with analog control anymore though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Looks like the choice is between the FX888D and the WES51, then. Thanks for the info.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm a Metcal purist, but we only have Wellers at work (WES50 and WES51) and they actually are not /that/ bad. The exact temperature control can be nice for certain operations.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I bought the Aoyue iron that the thread recommended earlier, and it's been quite nice.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Mr. Glass posted:

Looks like the choice is between the FX888D and the WES51, then. Thanks for the info.

I've been quite happy with my Hakko, though I don't have the digital version.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aurium posted:

Yes, it is. That said I've used one and they're as good as that style gets. The wes51 is definitely worth the upgrade though.

Hakko is another good brand. The fx888d is beloved. They don't sell one with analog control anymore though.

I have a Hakko FX-888D and I do, in fact, love it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

poeticoddity posted:

I've been quite happy with my Hakko, though I don't have the digital version.

Are you me, did I post this?

Because, I agree. It's awesome if not fischer-price colored.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

For what it's worth, if you're in a 240v country, just go with a Weller. Genuine 240v Hakkos are expensive, for no good reason. Also if you like digital display + analog knob, don't overlook Weller's wesd51. I wish Hakko did that with the 888d.

movax posted:

I'm a Metcal purist, but we only have Wellers at work (WES50 and WES51) and they actually are not /that/ bad. The exact temperature control can be nice for certain operations.

Interesting, usually you see Metcal at work and something else for personal.

What one do you have? (and what did you pay for it, if you don't mind) I often see decent deals on ebay for the STSS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aurium posted:

Yeah, because it was too badass for this world.

That's an iron that says "no we don't need any fuckin' bright colors or L-E-D displays or buttons or garbage like that. It has a dial, you turn the dial to where you want, and it goes there and it stays there and you don't need any more poo poo than that. Comes in any color you want so long as it's black."

I love my 936.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aurium posted:

For what it's worth, if you're in a 240v country, just go with a Weller. Genuine 240v Hakkos are expensive, for no good reason. Also if you like digital display + analog knob, don't overlook Weller's wesd51. I wish Hakko did that with the 888d.

Interesting, usually you see Metcal at work and something else for personal.

What one do you have? (and what did you pay for it, if you don't mind) I often see decent deals on ebay for the STSS.

Yeah, it's weird -- I keep asking them to buy a Metcal and they keep refusing and spending money on other stupid poo poo, like overnight shipping stuff because they don't understand the meaning of 'schedule'.

Anyways - I have the MX500 myself, it's really solid. I've been meaning to pick up the tweezer attachment off eBay for awhile now.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hooly poo poo, $500

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Anyways - I have the MX500 myself, it's really solid.
That's what I use at work. Seems nice.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Aurium posted:

Genuine 240v Hakkos are expensive, for no good reason.

This pisses me off no end. It costs £125 (~$200) for an FX888D that sells for what, $90 in the US? It's cheaper to buy a 110V US iron, ship it to the UK, then buy a replacement 240V transformer from a Hakko distributor than it is to just buy a 240V iron to begin with.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I have a specific question about sourcing a part that I think may have a more general answer. I'm looking for an 8-to-3 priority encoder like an MC10H165 that doesn't use an absurd amount of power like an MC10H165 does (the thing has a supply current of ~140 mA :gonk:). I assume the Right Answer is to find an analagous 74HC part. Is there any bijection between 10H-series and 74-series parts? Or is there a better way to look for this stuff than googling or trying to wrangle Digikey's unwieldy-for-this-purpose parametric search?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The 74xx148 is an 8-to-3 priority encoder. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between 74-series part numbers and the ECL 10K-series unfortunately.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Oh, it looks like TI's SN74HC148 draws 80 uA and runs off a reasonably low supply voltage too. The inputs and outputs are active-low but that's easy enough to fix. Perfect!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've been meaning to compile a cheat sheet for the TI logic families for awhile now, but here's a good basic PDF that goes over the differences between LVT, LVC, AUP, AVC, LVTH, LVCZ, HC, ABT, AUC, etc and how to pick whichever one you need (TTL inputs, CMOS inputs, speed vs. power, etc).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's the best way to learn how to SPICE? I want to model out some circuits using parts that aren't available in that Java applet (what I've been using up through now), but SPICE is a bit overwhelming for me. :ohdear:

I swear, this hobby moves super quick from "ok yeah, I understand how this works and what's going on" to "holy poo poo this is over my head"

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

What's the best way to learn how to SPICE? I want to model out some circuits using parts that aren't available in that Java applet (what I've been using up through now), but SPICE is a bit overwhelming for me. :ohdear:

I swear, this hobby moves super quick from "ok yeah, I understand how this works and what's going on" to "holy poo poo this is over my head"

Try LT-Spice. It's graphic, it'll simulate most any basic circuit you need and it's free.

If money is no object, Multi-sim is balls awesome for anything that doesn't have an MCU that needs to be emulated (although it can do a basic PIC or 8088).

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Not many people seem to know about it but my favourite is Micro-cap. It's GUI super-intuitive to use - much better than LT Spice IMO.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've got a kind of specific question, I'm hoping someone else can see what i'm missing.

I've got a 4033 7 segment decade counter/decoder hooked up to 2 4 digit 7-seg leds. Instead of having a bunch of 4033s cascading, i've got one with it's a-g outputs hooked to all of the inputs on both displays. I then have a plain jane 4017 decade counter with it's clock attached to the carry out of the 4033. I am driving all of this with an Arduino, and I'm really trying to keep the pins down because I eventually want to use an Arduino Trinket to drive this display and sensors.

Anyway, everything is fine on boot. The arduino sends a Reset pulse, the right most digit displays a zero, everything is peachy keen. The 4033 COut is high at this point. When I send a high pulse to the 4033 clock, the decade counter advances to the next digit, and the digit shows a 1. This digit then counts it's way up to 0, then when it rolls over to 1 it advances to the next digit. The next 6 digits all work exactly the same.

I put in an LED on the COut of the decoder, and it goes HIGH when the digit goes from 9 to 0, BUT the decade counter does not advance. According to the data sheet, it should click over on the high side.

It's probably something really stupid that i'm not seeing because i've been staring at this breadboard for too long. I'll post some schematics too while I'm at it. Ignore the LEDs on the right side, i'm using ExpressSCH and it doesn't have 7-seg displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

A bit late to the party but I have an 888D and it is absolutely awesome (and unlike my previous idiot trash iron, I don't have time to go have a beer while it heats up). Apparently (according to the salesman at the store who made REAL drat SURE I knew this) its one downfall is that if people don't read the giant warning and turn it on without the iron plugged in, it fucks it up. Not sure by what mechanism it fucks it up, but apparently that's a thing.