Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you even knew how deep the shuffler conspiracy ran you wouldn't be able to look at a hasbro product for the rest of your life..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A Moose posted:

I feel like the new client is definitely loving with land amounts. All 6 of the games I played in the free pre-release ended up with either 5-land hands with 5 more land draws or 3 lands all game. Didn't help that both rounds I lost my opponents had double triplicate spirits and 2 of the black promo demon that Pillar of Light is perfectly useless against.

Edit: Red seems like it should be really really good in theory, but all of its good stuff is at uncommon except generator servant, along with a bunch of crap like the guy that makes dragons when you put auras on him. and I've never had a pre-release or draft deck with more than 1 of them. I've never even seen a Cone of Flame. But I always get 3-4 Blastfire Bolts. Common distribution is weird.

The client doesn't even have a say in what hands you draw, that's all server side. You're imagining things.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
How is everyone getting mana screwed while I'm getting mana flooded? Hasbro pls
e: poo poo why is my opponent taking so long doing poo poo? 14 minutes remain on his clock and it's game 1.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A Moose posted:

I feel like the new client is definitely loving with land amounts. All 6 of the games I played in the free pre-release ended up with either 5-land hands with 5 more land draws or 3 lands all game. Didn't help that both rounds I lost my opponents had double triplicate spirits and 2 of the black promo demon that Pillar of Light is perfectly useless against.

Edit: Red seems like it should be really really good in theory, but all of its good stuff is at uncommon except generator servant, along with a bunch of crap like the guy that makes dragons when you put auras on him. and I've never had a pre-release or draft deck with more than 1 of them. I've never even seen a Cone of Flame. But I always get 3-4 Blastfire Bolts. Common distribution is weird.

It would be a lot easier to just use legitimate random number generation than to somehow seed it in some weird way. I'm not even certain the cards you get is a client-side operation.

neetengie posted:

How is everyone getting mana screwed while I'm getting mana flooded? Hasbro pls
e: poo poo why is my opponent taking so long doing poo poo? 14 minutes remain on his clock and it's game 1.

It's a "free" draft so people who have little skill, familiarity with the client and/or familiarity with the game are logging on to get free stuff.

PleasantDirge posted:

I'd just go with thinking at large and self awareness as your weak points

It'd be easier to just PM me for my address so you could leave a bag of flaming dog poo on my doorstep.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 26, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mikujin posted:

4 Pillar of Light and 4 Flesh to Dust, plus a Garruk's Wake, in my pool. And 2 Meteorites. Avacyn and a Tormentor to get the sick beats in. My deck looks slow as hell, but my pool has only 4 two drops across all colors (and they're across 4 damned colors). Bears gonna beat me down.

Turns out 8 main deck removal options (4 Flesh to Dust, 1 Pillar, 2 Meteorite, 1 Constricting Sliver) and a Wrath effect are super good in limited.

Also Avacyn + Typhoid Rats is a pretty funny stall condition.

E: Oh, guess I have Necrobite too. That's 9 removal spells and a wrath. :whatup:

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 26, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a "free" draft so people who have little skill, familiarity with the client and/or familiarity with the game are logging on to get free stuff.
I don't know man, he seemed in a rush when he had 7 seconds on the clock and wanted me to die since I lost the first game.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

neetengie posted:

I don't know man, he seemed in a rush when he had 7 seconds on the clock and wanted me to die since I lost the first game.

Double Queing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What determines what the payout for 2-man queues is? I figured I'd play some pauper and get some packs but then I won one and remembered the payout is in worthless JOU packs. Do I have to wait for Khans for that to change? I pretty much only play pauper for constructed.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
They said they were bringing back something old for Khans right?

I think they're bringing back Djinn.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Veyrall posted:

They said they were bringing back something old for Khans right?

I think they're bringing back Djinn.

They said they were bringing back something that players have been asking for, and they are doing something new that players were asking for. I don't think anyone's really clamoring for a creature type.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Come on guys, we already figured out it's banding.

(I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's Battle Cry.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Maybe they figured out a good generic name for Bushido?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

(I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's Battle Cry.)

Is anyone really clamouring for Battle Cry to make a comeback? Besides, Scars block was only four years ago.

Then again, they made a big deal before Theros was released about bringing back a Future Sight card, and it just turned out to be Nessian Courser, so who knows.

vOv posted:

Maybe they figured out a good generic name for Bushido?

Or maybe they're bringing back Flanking? Fits the horsemen theme.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 26, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The returning mechanic is horsemanship. The new mechanic is contraptions.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is anyone really clamouring for Battle Cry to make a comeback? Besides, Scars block was only four years ago.

Then again, they made a big deal before Theros was released about bringing back a Time Spiral card, and it just turned out to be Nessian Courser, so who knows.

How prevalent were rumors of Goyfs in Theros after they said that?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Obviously it's a new un-set with a wedge-based tribal theme set on Kamigawa.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Saw Scuttling Doom Engine twice in the last round!

... Hit it with Pillar of Light twice, too. :c00lbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BrokenKnees posted:

Obviously it's a new un-set with a wedge-based tribal theme set on Kamigawa.

Sounds awesome to me.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Woah. On v4 MTGO for the first time. At first it looks so nice and pretty. Trading makes more sense and everything...

But then I couldn't figure out how to use the sweet prerelease sealed packs they gave me. Weird stuff!

*Edit: I did figure it out after a few minutes. But... a "Go here to use this!" would have been nice

deftest fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 26, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have 100 bucks in store credit at my LCS, they're holding a big tournament for a Volcanic Island for First Place and a Scaling Tarn for second.

They don't have the two Nissas I need to finish my Green Devotion Deck. :argh:

So basically I go into this store on Sunday to compete.

What do I do goons?

A) Hope they get those Nissas I asked them to hold for me till Sunday (they're good like that), and if they don't, play the imcomplete Mono Green.

B) Play the finished Mono Black deck that is tried and true and probably more likely to succeed?

Also, unrelated. I learned today Genesis Hydra's Wave ability resolves as you cast it. That was literally the biggest grin on my face in about a month. And also the best Hornet Queen ever.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just went 4-0 in my release event. Such a beating. Since I'm bad and forgot to take a picture of my deck:

//Lands (18)
8 Plains
10 Swamps

//Creatures (13)
1 Typhoid Rats
2 Gargoyle Sentinel
2 Midnight Guard
1 Witch's Familiar
1 Shadowcloak Vampire
1 Zof Shade
1 Will-Forged Golem
1 Nightfire Giant
1 Constricting Sliver
1 Avacyn, Guardian Angel
1 Indulgent Tormentor

//Spells (9)
4 Flesh to Dust
1 Triplicate Spirits
2 Meteorite
1 In Garruk's Wake
1 Pillar of Light

... With 3 more Pillars in the board, plus a couple Oppressive Rays. I won 3 dice rolls, opting to go second every time (which was the right choice by far), and only dropped a game. If I got to 5 mana, it was usually a tipping point where I'd just keep popping all my opponent's best dudes while I gummed up everything else with my 3 and 4 drops. Meteorites were insanely good, and were the reason for including Nightfire, who managed to twice land while I had 10 mana/double Meteorite, prompting quick concessions from my opponent. Avacyn is also pretty insane when you've got 14 mana - I locked a UB aggro/midrange deck out because none of his guys could hurt me - until I Wake'd him.

Definitely a pretty insane pool, but given my other colors were completely lacking (I guess red had a Lightning Strike?) I'm ok with the way things turned out.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I have 100 bucks in store credit at my LCS, they're holding a big tournament for a Volcanic Island for First Place and a Scaling Tarn for second.

They don't have the two Nissas I need to finish my Green Devotion Deck. :argh:

So basically I go into this store on Sunday to compete.

What do I do goons?

C - if you have a friend with Nissas, see if you could borrow them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Eddie Whitson posted:

C - if you have a friend with Nissas, see if you could borrow them.

Unfortunately everyone I've asked as of recent doesn't have them/is using them for decks on Sunday. :suicide:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Based on small sample size, I have decided that stormtide leviathan is playable in the right deck. You must have tons of removal and control, but if you do it can work. I resolved it 3 times so far in my matches.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Northjayhawk posted:

Based on small sample size, I have decided that stormtide leviathan is playable in the right deck. You must have tons of removal and control, but if you do it can work. I resolved it 3 times so far in my matches.

Definitely seems like Literally Any Green Deck would fold to it, honestly.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I tossed one in my Grixis Mid-Range Generator Servant deck as a finisher and it defintely seems like it might be a card that Mono-Blue deck with Nythkos and some control in would love the hell out Stormtide. It's also way more playable when you can power it out on 6 mana with a Generator Servant. It's just really strong against a ton of the good creatures in Standard right now.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 26, 2014

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
PTQ TOMORROW

Could you guys check out this post of mine over in the Eternal Formats thread.

I'm really nervous and could use any and all advice.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Worth noting that the Khans of Tarkir SDCC panel is tomorrow at 12:00PM PST. It will not be streamed, because of some reasons that seem kind of bullshit to me. It'll eventually be on YouTube, and folks on panel will be tweeting highlights regardless. People will probably repost those highlights in this thread because we like to be helpful and share the enthusiasm.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell
New to MTGO...what can I expect the M15 booster prices to bottom out at? I'm trying to decide if 2.5-2.6 tix is good to buy at and the price wiki has flatlined for the day. I guess on the flip side, will they go back up at some point to sell the ones I win? I seem to remember Brian Wong discussing this on LR and was thinking most boosters are around 3 tix but I could be wrong.

StainlessBanner fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 26, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DoctorOozy posted:

Now would be the time to take it up again, the M15 set is a good one.

No, I'm not taking this game back up because I'd want to go right back to Modern and Legacy and spend more than my parents do on their house payment for a playset of cards.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
First FNM in a few weeks and especially since M15 just came out. Rolled out the Minotaurs deck (-3 swamps +3 Temples, -2 Fanatic (one in sideboard) +1 Slaughter Games from sideboard, +1 Fellhide Spiritbinder), went 4-1 :hellyeah:

Round 1 vs Boss Sligh w/random M15 test cards: Lost 2-1. Game 1 I rolled over him, Game 2 got manascrewed, Game 3 he set up the perfect storm of creatures and burn and killed me on turn 4 right after I dropped a Whip. As it turns out, when you drop a lot of creatures on the board, that 4 damage convoke burn spell is really good, ow.

Round 2 vs some R/W aggro/burn thing: Won 2-0. I think it was some cross between Sligh and Burn? The kid was kinda young so I don't know. Had more creatures than burn, but also had helixes and phoenixes (and madcap skills?) and the other burnspells. Game 1 was a lot of killing on both sides until I set up enough beef to run him down, Game 2 he mulliganed to five, drew no land, and imploded.

Round 3 vs Mono-G: Won 2-0. Game 1, killed his Coursers before he could find Nykthos, had a Dreadbore ready for Polukranos, Trample+Deathtouch through everything else. Game 2 he was stuck on one forest for most of the game but kept dropping Mystics, Caryatids, Satyrs, and Coursers as I kept running them over with bulls, it was still pretty impressive.

Round 4 vs R/U Artifacts: Won 2-1. Game 1 I start by T2 Mortars-ing his T2 Generator Servant because I will have none of that poo poo. Chump blocked his eventual Ensouled Darksteel Citadel and beat him to death with a regenerating Madcap Skills'd minotaur. Game 2 is T1 Ornithopter T2 Ensoul and I don't have a killspell, RIP. Game 3 I start pulling my sided-in Rakdos Charms and keep him in control as I throw cows at him. Turn 4 I topdeck my 1-of maindeck Slaughter Games, and laugh as I nuke his Ensoul Artifacts. He ends up having to sacrifice two or three Generator Servants to overload a Cyclonic Rift to keep me off lethal, but I replay my creatures across two turns and Trample+Deathtouch through his topdecked Doom Engine to kill him with Doom Engine's would-be-lethal damage on the stack.

Round 5 vs G/W Tokens: Won 2-0. Game 1 he plays a lot of Soldier of the Pantheons, Experiment Ones, and centaur tokens, I Madcap Skills a regenerating trampling minotaur (that eventually gets deathtouch) and just swing it through all his stuff while having stabilized with enough 3-4 toughness things back to block. Game 2 he mulls to 6, doesn't look happy, and drops a T2 Fleecemane and T3 Unflinching Courage. I topdeck a Blood Crypt (opening hand of three mountains, no black sources) to Dreadbore it and proceed to set up the eventual wall of beef, though my swing for lethal is with me at 1 life swinging for 14 trample+deathtouch at him with 13 life and mana for an Advent in hand.

Minotaurs own (as long as nobody has U/W)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 26, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Unfortunately everyone I've asked as of recent doesn't have them/is using them for decks on Sunday. :suicide:

I don't know why you feel like you need to select a deck now- you say your monoblack deck is complete and contextually you appear reasonably comfortable with both decks, so just bring both of them and make the call immediately before the tournament based on availability of Nissa/the perceived metagame/how you're feeling. Unless you were planning to devote a substantial portion of the next 24 hours to extremely in-depth testing (or there is some other circumstance you haven't mentioned) there isn't any real pressure on you to make a decision, so wait until you have better information.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zorak posted:

Worth noting that the Khans of Tarkir SDCC panel is tomorrow at 12:00PM PST. It will not be streamed, because of some reasons that seem kind of bullshit to me. It'll eventually be on YouTube, and folks on panel will be tweeting highlights regardless. People will probably repost those highlights in this thread because we like to be helpful and share the enthusiasm.

The real reason is that SDCC doesn't allow panel streaming (at least, that's what Maro said on his blog). I'll try to attend the panel, but it really depends what the line is like; the line for the Hasbro merchandise counter queued up at 4 a.m. apparently, so I don't think I'll be picking up any of the M15 limited edition cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 26, 2014

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
I downloaded MTGO a couple weeks back so I would get the free M15 prerelease. Just played my first game and tried to convoke stoke the flames...ended up accidently targeting my own creature. Hopefully that's a mistake I won't make a 2nd time.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
When do the monochrome planeswalkers go online to buy from Hasbro's website?

Edit: Another general poll to the crowd: Does your LGS allow you to bring your own packs to draft or sealed tournaments? Would you understand it if they didn't allow this?

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 26, 2014

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I feel what MaRo was talking about bringing back is the full art basic lands. We've already seen them.

Also, TODAY is the VINTAGE ROTISSERIE DRAFT! Starting at 11:15a and running basically ALL DAY, you can watch professionals such as TRAVIS WOO (Whom may or may not have smoked too much weed this week and freaked out on Twitter) and MORE (like ME) battle out in the MOST INTENSE MAGIC FORMAT EVER!!

Well, it's pretty fun.

https://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus

Plus we're playing for booze.

Plus Brian Wong from LIMITED RESOURCES will be doing commentary!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Edit: Another general poll to the crowd: Does your LGS allow you to bring your own packs to draft or sealed tournaments? Would you understand it if they didn't allow this?

Mine doesn't and it makes perfect sense, since they charge $10 for a draft and offer small prizes(pack per win)

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Quick mechanics question from a recent sealed:

I cast hoarder dragon and exile an artifact. He bounces the dragon, then I recast next turn. Mtgo gives me the prompt to search for an artifact again, but as there's only one in the deck and it is still exiled, I have no choice but to decline.

Eventually he kills the dragon, but the artifact stays exiled. Intended?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

tirinal posted:

Quick mechanics question from a recent sealed:

I cast hoarder dragon and exile an artifact. He bounces the dragon, then I recast next turn. Mtgo gives me the prompt to search for an artifact again, but as there's only one in the deck and it is still exiled, I have no choice but to decline.

Eventually he kills the dragon, but the artifact stays exiled. Intended?

Yup. The dragon has to die to get the artifact. If it's exiled or bounced, it ceases being that same card in terms of what has happened to it previously. It doesn't see that it had once hoarded it's precious because, for all intents and purposes, it's a freshly summoned dragon.

Artifact is gone forever, and dragon has nothing to hoard. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yup. The re-cast dragon is a whole new object in the eyes of the game, so you don't get the old artifact back.

• Locked thread