Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think Scott went in really loose and relaxed because he knew he had to gently caress up really bad to lose to Jason. If it were Joy maybe different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

OmegaBR posted:

Scott was the right choice. Although he owes a debt to Joy.

A new season already? I wonder how long it actually takes to film?

Hey, Scott owes nothing to Joy. She made a mistake and went apeshit when called out.

From what I hear, about 5 weeks. And about 5 months to edit, trim, cut, slice, and dice the contestants until they're all caricatures.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fox has been known to have multiple seasons in the can just to have them around to fill a hole in the schedule. Some of them have aired over a year after filming.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

liltimshady posted:

Hey, Scott owes nothing to Joy. She made a mistake and went apeshit when called out.

From what I hear, about 5 weeks. And about 5 months to edit, trim, cut, slice, and dice the contestants until they're all caricatures.

That's why it's fun to see contestants talking to their families like they haven't seen them in a year. Scott's wife said something about all the new words their son was learning. Although at that age, I guess they do learn a lot over a couple weeks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

JoshGuitar posted:

That's why it's fun to see contestants talking to their families like they haven't seen them in a year. Scott's wife said something about all the new words their son was learning. Although at that age, I guess they do learn a lot over a couple weeks.
They were watching Gordon's old BBC shows uncensored. :haw:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sticky Keys Man posted:

If you'd have told me halfway through the season Scott was going to win, there's no way I would have believed it.

The only reason I didn't think he was going to win was because I was certain the finale would be Scott vs. Rochelle (as it should have been) in which case she would have destroyed him. I did call that halfway through the season though. :v:

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
The shots of Jason's mom looking all sad is... sad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Scott's face when he walked through the door was as shocked as a human could possibly be.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

liltimshady posted:

"Scott's got family. I don't need that poo poo."

From a guy who hates his family: Stay classy, Jason. :jerkbag:

Gonna have to stick up for Jason here because I don't think he's as bad as he's edited. He actually said, "gently caress Scott, he's got kids and crap. He's got a good enough life. I don't have that poo poo - I need this now in my life."

Anyway, all up this was an OK season. Better than the last couple - I actually made it to the end this time.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm just happy to not have to look at Jason's sweaty, bulgy-eyed, beet-red face anymore.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Scott's prize is the Head Chef Glorified Line Cook position at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill at Caesar's Palace that was originally meant for Ja'Nel last season.

I thought it had gone to Jon, but nope, he's working at Gordon Ramsay Steak in Vegas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hand of the King posted:

Yea it was like "Oh my god my son finally did something! Oh wait, he lost like he always does because he's Jason."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hand of the King posted:

Well, imagine how you would feel if you were his parents.

Zero Star posted:

Scott's prize is the Head Chef Glorified Line Cook position at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill at Caesar's Palace that was originally meant for Ja'Nel last season.

I thought it had gone to Jon, but nope, he's working at Gordon Ramsay Steak in Vegas.

How many restaurants does he have in Vegas? I guess that's an economically smart thing to do considering the kind of money that goes through Vegas, but seems like there's a point where you're cannibalizing your own sales.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

raditts posted:

Well, imagine how you would feel if you were his parents.

How many restaurants does he have in Vegas? I guess that's an economically smart thing to do considering the kind of money that goes through Vegas, but seems like there's a point where you're cannibalizing your own sales.
He's got three according to Wikipedia: Pub & Grill at Caesar's Palace, GR Steak, and BurGR.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like 3, Steak, Burgr and Pub & Grill.

The latter two would compete with each other, but there's so many of those types of restaurants everywhere that I really doubt it matters.

Steak on the other hand is your fu fu $70 entree kind of place that Ramsey's image tries to push, so yeah, probably can't have multiple of those in the same area.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I've been comparing the American MasterChef to some other versions (UK Professionals, AU) and it's such a shitshow. It's over-edited, has an intrusive soundtrack, it doesn't focus on the food, the people swing between boring and annoying, and the drama is forced. It's a disappointment in every way. This is coming from someone who used to watch MastrChef all the time.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

rudecyrus posted:

I've been comparing the American MasterChef to some other versions (UK Professionals, AU) and it's such a shitshow. It's over-edited, has an intrusive soundtrack, it doesn't focus on the food, the people swing between boring and annoying, and the drama is forced. It's a disappointment in every way. This is coming from someone who used to watch MastrChef all the time.

Yeah welcome to the hate club. Maybe next year we start a MasterChef AU thread. Though I don't know if there's anything to actually talk about. American one being so loving stupid and edited I think is what drives any of the conversation.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The first two seasons of US Masterchef were great. I wish they had kept that tone going.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

rudecyrus posted:

I feel like these aspects of the show have gotten a lot worse over the past couple of seasons, or at least I don't recall it being so bad in the first season or two. Maybe it was there all the time and I'm just wise to it now. I swear season 1 at least was pretty food focused and pretty much free of interpersonal drama.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

rudecyrus posted:

I loved the most recent show:

"Gordon's going to be preparing it, Graham will be cooking it, and I...*looks all smug*...will be eating it."

If I didn't find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xax0T396Ko, I'd swear Joe couldn't cook. That's the *only* video on Youtube of him actually cooking something, though - so there's a chance he can only do pasta or something. vOv

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2014

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

smg77 posted:

The first two seasons of US Masterchef were great. I wish they had kept that tone going.

...and then Jennifer won and it all went to poo poo.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Whitney was the best part of all of the masterchefs put together

I miss whitney

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Masterchef Australia question:

After hearing all the differences between US and Aussie versions, I decided to finally watch a season. I have access to both 5 and 6, but I started with 5. I'm 2 episodes in and I'm a little turned off by the 'Battle of the Sexes' gimmick. Is it worth it to stick it out through 5? (It seems to have more of the American-style drama than it sounds like 6 has) Or should I just skip it and watch season 6 instead?

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Capt. Sticl posted:

After hearing all the differences between US and Aussie versions, I decided to finally watch a season. I have access to both 5 and 6, but I started with 5. I'm 2 episodes in and I'm a little turned off by the 'Battle of the Sexes' gimmick. Is it worth it to stick it out through 5? (It seems to have more of the American-style drama than it sounds like 6 has) Or should I just skip it and watch season 6 instead?

The boys vs girls thing goes on for 2 weeks (7 episodes excluding the masterclass episodes). I've seen seasons 4, 5 and 6, and 5 was the least enjoyable for me because of the extra drama. (I also don't agree with who won.)

That said, it's nothing compared to MasterChef US, where it's all about drama and it wouldn't matter if they were building stuff out of lego instead of cooking.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Meowbot posted:

Whitney was the best part of all of the masterchefs put together

I miss whitney

Whitney was the best. :swoon:

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Capt. Sticl posted:

Out of all the seasons of MasterChef Aus I feel like 5 is the weakest of the seasons in terms of the cast of characters. 5 picks up and has some crazy challenges. To me, season 5 did have some of the more grating characters in any of the seasons of MasterChef Aus though.

I saw season 5 first, then 1 through 4, and then All Stars, but I couldn't find all of season one, so I started part way through. Season one does have some drama inducing contestant driven eliminations rather than only judge driven ones. It's a little easier to forgive the season one missteps, though, since it is the first season where the show is still figuring out its own footing. Things are done quite differently in season one compared to the others. What I'm disappointed in most this season is that they've not shown most of the MasterClasses, only the notable guest chef ones have been shown. The pacing this season feels quite different.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

trem posted:

. . . it's all about drama and it wouldn't matter if they were building stuff out of lego instead of cooking.

gently caress, I want to see this show now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Capt. Sticl posted:

Five was dry and overall pretty bad. I was worried the show was basically going to die after that season but they did a good job of mostly turning it around in season six. I think three was my fave season.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
Netflix has US Kitchen Nightmares seasons 3 and 4, uncensored. It sounds a lot more natural without the constant beeps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sootikins posted:

Netflix has US Kitchen Nightmares seasons 3 and 4, uncensored. It sounds a lot more natural without the constant beeps.

BBC America sometimes airs KNUS episodes that have everything but the "gently caress"s uncensored and they seem to try to patch it up as much as possible to make it more similar to the UK version. It doesn't really work though, I guess you can only fix it so much.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So the dude with the most times getting put up for elimination wins. Thats awesome. I have to say this is the first time I've seen a winner get a losers edit like he did.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

ded posted:

So the dude with the most times getting put up for elimination wins. Thats awesome. I have to say this is the first time I've seen a winner get a losers edit like he did.
He's also the oldest HK winner ever

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If this were Masterchef US, then Laura would definitely win (and it sort of already looks that way). However, I think that Brent is probably a slightly better chef by a tiny bit at this stage.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

ded posted:

Half the times he was put up, he didn't deserve to be put up. (Joy was shielding Kaisha most of the time.)

I have to admit though, the editors did a hell of a job this season. We all thought that Joy would win it all and then she just went - :tizzy:.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ntan1 posted:

If this were Masterchef US, then Laura would definitely win (and it sort of already looks that way). However, I think that Brent is probably a slightly better chef by a tiny bit at this stage.

All that ho can do is make Italian. It bothers me she's still on the show after they talked poo poo about the annoying Asian who could only cook Korean

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

benisntfunny posted:

All that ho can do is make Italian. It bothers me she's still on the show after they talked poo poo about the annoying Asian who could only cook Korean

Cooking, and over-enunciating, Italian is all Joe cares about.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ghostpilot posted:

Cooking, and over-enunciating, Italian is all Joe cares about.

Talking about MasterChef AU. Joe doesn't exist there. It's actually three likable judges.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Emelia for example was good at mostly desserts only.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ntan1 posted:

I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Emelia for example was good at mostly desserts only.

Desserts are a bigger category than Italian anything. I just found it annoying they didn't say poo poo to her about it and in fact perpetuated it more than anything. Everyone else gets poo poo for being predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah I think Laura should have been axed a bit of a while ago. I forget quite when, but I feel like she's ~just eked by~ a couple of the pressure tests. And she totally didn't deserve the automatic final 3 spot over Emilia. Yeah, the texture/flavor on Emilia's eggplant was a bit messed up, but her attempt at a fix showed a clever instinct and she actually bothered to flavor her Roo AND she ALSO bothered to put a creative twist on Lebanese. Laura's looked like it came from the cheap hole in the wall down the street, and not in a good way.

Glad to see Brent through, sorry to see Jamie gone.