Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lungboy posted:

It would have to be very good FNP to make it worthwhile, Iron Hands termies already get 6+ FNP but they still don't get used much.

Termies need one of three things: 2 wounds, T5, or have their points cost reduced.

Right now they are too expensive for what is basically just a marine with a 2+/5+ (and relentless and deep strike too I guess). Ideally they'd just reduce the points cost, thus allowing you to field more, which means more kits being sold.

But, well, that's not happening any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

SRM posted:

Isn't Ragnar's symbol the same as the default Space Wolves icon?
The "default" Space Wolves icon was retconned into Ragnar's icon in 3rd edition. Space Wolves now only bear their Great Company icon, and have no Chapter symbol as such.
:goonsay:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vondizimo posted:

Does anyone know where the latest 40k rules for the Contemptor Dread are? I used to have them in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition from FW but that is now out of date.

Are they in the vanilla 40k Apoc book? Escalation? The Adeptus Astartes book from FW? This is getting too much .

EDIT: Solved. They're in IA: Apocalypse still. The 40k Apocalypse book is just formations. The number of 40k supplements in print is getting a bit OTT. :psyduck:

The only difference I can think of is that their BS went down to BS4 from BS5...

...unless you are playing a legion army :smuggo:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

thegodofchuck posted:

The "default" Space Wolves icon was retconned into Ragnar's icon in 3rd edition. Space Wolves now only bear their Great Company icon, and have no Chapter symbol as such.
:goonsay:

:smugbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I found some funky looking terminators in a bit box of mine, I think they might be grey knights? Can anyone identify them?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

ijyt posted:

I found some funky looking terminators in a bit box of mine, I think they might be grey knights? Can anyone identify them?

Those are proper oldschool grey knights. Back when a unit of them cost 2500 points.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

I'm facebook friends with Aaron Dembski-Bowden

I'm friends with Cataphract.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Some of my stuff I've posting in the Oath thread.

Here he is hanging out with the guys I painted last month:

As a bonus here are the chaos cultists from the same set I painted before I started doing oaths:

Just the hellbrute and two more chaos marines and my half of the Dark Vengeance box is done!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My dad got in a legal battle with GW in the 80s.

Also Relic needs to make a Dawn of War 3 and sponsor me to make a video for it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm one of the people responsible for Xcom: EU. Its not a coincidence that some of the mechanics feel familiar- the most influential designer (not me) is a huge 40k fan.

He's also a goon.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 26, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh I also met David hasslehoff one time

To get back on topic... He's a plastic man

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

SRM posted:

No, they should get you to do all the graphics work on it

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xtothez posted:

Just look at these guys.

Not only are Malanthropes ~super-awesome~ but they also let you get Preferred Enemy without spending a trillion points on a lovely Swarmlord.

I still wish Malanthropes were monsters... though uber venomthropes is a good second!

The carnifex are hilarious and I might have to get two more. They only get a max of 2 attacks base though, which is pretty crappy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm one of the people responsible for Xcom: EU. Its not a coincidence that some of the mechanics feel familiar- the most influential designer (not me) is a huge 40k fan.

He's also a goon.

Please patch Enemy Within for PS3. It is like unplayably buggy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LordAba posted:

The carnifex are hilarious and I might have to get two more. They only get a max of 2 attacks base though, which is pretty crappy.

Read the Sweep Attack rule!

Also I swear conscripts already had frags and that's what brute shields already did? Was I hallucinating? I can't read my book right now.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 26, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I once met Edward Meese (please to be recognized) and told him I knew him from an old episode of Bloom County that had a nuclear armed basselope called an "Edward Meese Peace Piece". He was not amused.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

SRM posted:

You can't just say something like that and not expand on it.

Also are you a 2nd generation?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LordAba posted:

I still wish Malanthropes were monsters... though uber venomthropes is a good second!

I'd take the trade off for str10 ap2 hammer of wrath attacks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ With rerolls against vehicles and stuff! Brutal... though you need a unit of gargoyles to screen them a bit so it's easier to get the charge in the first place.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Read the Sweep Attack rule!

Also I swear conscripts already had drags and that's what brute shields already did? Was I hallucinating? I can't read my book right now.

You are correct on all points; the FAQ clarified specific pages (in the war gear section brute shields work like you think, in the reference it only gave you a 5++ in close combat).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I still say Terminators are good, but T5 would go a long way toward making them more viable. Since the end of 3rd edition I've said they need this- if a bike or battle suit can do it why not a ghastly mass of fiber bundles and exoskeleton
with armor on top?

rzal posted:

Some of my stuff I've posting in the Oath thread.

Your guys look so gnarly in the best way, and black bases aren't always easy to pull off (can very well look "unfinished"). Nice work!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

For the fellow Chaos Space Marine Players, someone came up with this and I played it a few times , changed it a bit but it's actually really good and expensive. Chaos Space Marines don't get a lot of love but kind of got a mini death star.

It's

Ahriman
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Term Armour, Spell Familiar , Choosing Sanctic to fish for GOI
3 Obliterators

If you allied you could take another CSM sorcerer

Anyway

It has a 3++ if you get Sanctic and it has Gate of Infinity, plus Ahriman can choose Telepathy and fire off 3 Psychic Shrieks. Ahriman Also get's the Free Tzeentch thing but has to roll but he may get Bolt of Change or whatever and there's a chance he'll get Invisibility which makes it even harder to kill. Plus he has a ST8 Force Weapon if you cast Hammerhand.

I made it with Typhus and it was fun.

I liked it a lot and CSM doesn't get a "death" star unit really.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Well poo poo if we are still doing brushes with greatness. I was Vin Diesel's personal security for three months. Played him at Tony Hawk on PS2, a lot! Nice guy, but don't leave your girlfriend alone with him. I also had lunch with Chow Yun Fat. A more down to earth star I have yet to meet. Working in film for about 5 years exposes you to a lot of star and former stars and it's amazing how many of them are massive arse holes. Can't really blame them though, when people kiss your rear end 24/7 it screws up you perception of life.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ugh, less talk about dirty handjobs in the bathroom of Chile's to second rate actors, more plastic Space Men.

Also, my claim to fame is giving a dirty handjob to a B movie star in a Chile's.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You have to tell us who it was man

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hey Ghost Hand, would you mind sharing any more information on the Elysian list in IA4? I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I haven't seen any information about it anywhere else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

You have to tell us who it was man

Some guy from the Puppet Master series who's name I can't remember.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hollismason posted:

Ugh, less talk about dirty handjobs in the bathroom of Chile's to second rate actors, more plastic Space Men.

Also, my claim to fame is giving a dirty handjob to a B movie star in a Chile's.

You can keep it on topic by claiming it was for more plastic space men.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just noticed that the my IPad CSM codex got an update for 7th which was a pleasant surprise.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's Chili's with an i, get it right. :colbert:

In Canada Alberta, it's Chili's Texas Grill for some reason. :eng101:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

The Sisko posted:

Just noticed that the my IPad CSM codex got an update for 7th which was a pleasant surprise.

Was it just faq info or was it something different?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Was it just faq info or was it something different?

All the clickable index stuff now has updated rules and so on.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Grey Knights and Astra Militarium iPad codexes got updates pretty soon after 7th dropped, the Inquisition codex too.

Necrons, Space Marines, Daemons, Tau, and Tyranids got updates fairly recently (and apparently CSM too but I dont own that one.

My brush with fame is I sold script writing software to Kevin Grevioux which he may have used to write the first Underworld movie... so, sorry about that :(

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They have not yet updated the psychic cards app for 7th ed :argh:

e: Richard Simmons waved at my hollywood tour bus.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 26, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tequila Ranger posted:

My brush with fame is I sold script writing software to Kevin Grevioux which he may have used to write the first Underworld movie... so, sorry about that :(

Never apologize for Kate Beckinsale.

EDIT: Does the tyranid IA book outline the terrain still? I have some of the older kits, and would love actual rules for them with point values.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 26, 2014

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So is there going to be 5 weeks of drip drip drip before the Space Wolf codex or what?

Also if I can source some Sanctus Reach boxes, do people want mini-rulebooks, special characters and 3xKKanz for £15 a pop plus postage?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would take the Space Wolf character for £15.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have been working on an Ork list, this is my best try so far with the standard "0-1x CAD" + "0-1x Other" format:

Everything can scout and it has an orky alpha strike with decent follow up with CC bodies. Bike HQs scout and ride with kopptas and either hide around wagons or Lukky Stick/turbo boosting for 3+ reroll cover depending on the threats. I had one tankbusta unit and one loota unit, but with 12"scout and 6" move and 18" squigs + 24"killkannon it's hard not to go for the bustas. That and redundancy feels right.

My famous person/world impact fact is kinda :black101: related.

On a daily basis I work directly with the guy who was the 'Live Show Director' for this glorious clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8
He had nothing else to cut away to so that's why there's a (painfully) slow pan of the product while the host squirms underneath. The man that walks in to cover is the guest 'expert' who had no idea what to say.

My brother and I saw this video when we were kids, I never would have thought I would work so closely with the man who was such a large part of it's creation.

Now he's an 'On-Air Producer' at HSN and a really laid back guy who laughs when anyone brings up this incident. How can you not?

"...we may need emergency surgery... in the studio."

Live TV is fun :buddy:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

You can't just say something like that and not expand on it.

Also are you a 2nd generation?
My dad had a miniatures game that involved the words "Space Marines" in the title back in the 80s/early 90s. This used to be a very general sci-fi term, but GW was trying to copyright it in spite of this. They obviously won out, but it's why when people were up in arms over GW taking out somebody's sci-fi book with space marines in it a few years ago I wasn't surprised one bit. To this day my dad says he likes the sculptors, rule writers, and creative guys from GW, but absolutely loathes their legal team and bean counters. I agree pretty wholeheartedly.

2nd generation wargamer, 1st generation ham. My dad still plays 40k with me, but he plays using my armies when we hang out. I've been playing miniatures games of one kind or another since I was 6 or 7 years old.

Also I had an idea that would have been an on-topic potential brush with greatness too. So Dawn of War: Soulstorm is well remembered for its awful, awful voice acting, which I capitalized on in my dumb cartoons. Iron Lore studios, the company that developed it, was actually in Boston before they went under. I figured "Hey, maybe the voice actor for Boreale is still in town and works cheap, since that performance was awful and I could hire him to do original voice work for future Dawn of Awesome cartoons!" I looked him up, and it turns out it's Scott McNeil, who has voiced almost everybody in the Dawn of War games as well as appearing in every anime ever: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573926/

So yeah, I think he's probably out of my price range.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

For the fellow Chaos Space Marine Players, someone came up with this and I played it a few times , changed it a bit but it's actually really good and expensive. Chaos Space Marines don't get a lot of love but kind of got a mini death star.

It's

Ahriman
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Term Armour, Spell Familiar , Choosing Sanctic to fish for GOI
3 Obliterators

If you allied you could take another CSM sorcerer

Anyway

It has a 3++ if you get Sanctic and it has Gate of Infinity, plus Ahriman can choose Telepathy and fire off 3 Psychic Shrieks. Ahriman Also get's the Free Tzeentch thing but has to roll but he may get Bolt of Change or whatever and there's a chance he'll get Invisibility which makes it even harder to kill. Plus he has a ST8 Force Weapon if you cast Hammerhand.

I made it with Typhus and it was fun.

I liked it a lot and CSM doesn't get a "death" star unit really.

This looks really fun, I might try this today if we don't end up playing Deathwatch. Plus it makes Ahriman actually, you know, useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

So is there going to be 5 weeks of drip drip drip before the Space Wolf codex or what?

Also if I can source some Sanctus Reach boxes, do people want mini-rulebooks, special characters and 3xKKanz for £15 a pop plus postage?

I wouldnt mind Krom Dragonggaze for 15GBP either.

• Locked thread