Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Well, I'll say this: this is definitely a more ambitious block than Theros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Calling it now, I bet some morph cards will be non-creature. I think thats an unexplored space, if it flips its some instant that goes off or its an enchantment.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Apparently 3x Khans, Small/2xKhans, some mix of Khans/Other large.

Other news: Teferi is not unique: C14 will have multiple past planeswalkers to be used as commanders.

Morph is not the (or not the only) reused mechanic that they're fitting into every block. There will be another.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Weird/cool that a white representative of speed is an orc built like a brick shithouse. Might even be playable.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Panel over, return to your homes.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Other news: Teferi is not unique: C14 will have multiple past planeswalkers to be used as commanders.

... are they going to let us mix and match which packs we want to use in draft for the winter and spring?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What's this big fluffy guy :3:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This block sounds hype as gently caress.

Northjayhawk posted:

Calling it now, I bet some morph cards will be non-creature. I think thats an unexplored space, if it flips its some instant that goes off or its an enchantment.

They don't really work the same anymore though(especially Lumithread Field) because damage doesn't go on the stack anymore.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kurtofan posted:

What's this big fluffy guy :3:

Orcs.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Seems like a smart choice for a wedge set--you at least have access to a Gray Ogre if you can't cast the actual card.

Good point, that'll definitely take a lot of the frustration out of limited for sure.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Northjayhawk posted:

... are they going to let us mix and match which packs we want to use in draft for the winter and spring?

The tweet says this:

quote:

draft kahn/kahn/kahn then add 2nd set, but then drafting large sets together

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

Future Sight had noncreature morph cards as Future Shifts. Lumithread Field (enchantment), Whetwheel (Artifact), and Zoetic Cavern (land).

Edit: Beaten. drat this thread is moving fast

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Morph is not the (or not the only) reused mechanic that they're fitting into every block. There will be another.

JAYA HELL YES

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I like orcs that look like big fluffy hamsters.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I like orcs that look like big fluffy hamsters.

Well, they're like that except they're white, naked hamsters. Also buff as poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Love the art.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Khans sounds like Kamigawa mixed with Alara.

I'm excited as gently caress.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Zorak posted:

MORPH IS BACK the gently caress is going onnnn

what.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Why yes I'd like to draw three.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
That blue mythic looks absurdly powerful

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Korak posted:

Why yes I'd like to draw three.

He's a reprint, son.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ARCANIS IS BACK HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Honestly, given the returning mechanics and creature types, the shifting mechanics and the time travel structure, what are the odds that this is their shot at doing Time Spiral right? Would explain why it took so long to figure out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arcanis is in a duel deck, chill your tits people. He didn't just learn to planeswalk.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The 40 Pre-release Promo's thing will actually be pretty cool. It should stop the usual "80% of people get <color> because it has the 'best' Promo and therefore the 'best' chance of winning" thing that makes turning up for a non-midnight Pre-release so feel-bad in some places.

The further you get from the midnight one the more likely the shop will be out of that color box. Whether you wanted to play it for the Promo or just because it's your favorite color small shops are probably out after Saturday afternoon.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AgentSythe posted:

ARCANIS IS BACK HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

iirc Duel Decks aren't actually Standard playable products.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Honestly, given the returning mechanics and creature types, the shifting mechanics and the time travel structure, what are the odds that this is their shot at doing Time Spiral right? Would explain why it took so long to figure out.

They did Time Spiral right the first time around

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Arcanis doesn't have a racial typing. Concerned how powerful it looks, but it's a big mana sink if you want to keep it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Sounds about right. I'm probably an outlier in that I loved the hell out of Time Spiral block, despite starting the game right as Future Sight released, so I really hope they capture the feeling again.

I missed most of Shards block (left around Conflux and only came back during Theros), so I'm looking forward to seeing three colours make a splash again. :)

LGD posted:

Also this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Northjayhawk posted:

That blue mythic looks absurdly powerful

Arcanis saw near zero play in a totally different format and probably isn't being reprinted in a standard legal product anyway.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

OneDeadman posted:

iirc Duel Decks aren't actually Standard playable products.

Any cards that are in Standard are but half of the lists will be reprints because Wizards figured it was time to reprint whatever.

Zurgo will be Standard playable when the deck releases but Arcanis will not.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

BizarroAzrael posted:

Arcanis doesn't have a racial typing.

"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager."

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

LGD posted:

I actually don't disagree with that assertion, but WOTC and Hasbro do.

EDIT: Clearly I should've put air quotes around "right"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Throwing this out there: "Temur", the RUG clan, has a very similar name to Genghis Khan originally did (Temujin), and is in Sarkhan Vol's two original colours.

I think there's some parallels being drawn here, and I think we know which tribe Sarkhan was a part of.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki posted:

Is there any card art that is just a closeup of someone dramatically getting punched in the face? It would be better if it was straight on the nose, but a follow through with the recipient's head being turned away would be cool too.

Yup. This is good art here. Unless there is a card of a bear punching a dragon (2G target creature you control gets +5/+5 and fights target creature?) I think this is just the best art wizards has for the set.

Possibly the best art ever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

blue.eyed.ash posted:

I actually don't disagree with that assertion, but WOTC and Hasbro do.

The thing is that Time Spiral block actively drove people away from the game for being too complex and incomprehensible for non-entrenched players

I can't possibly imagine why WOTC would consider that a bad idea!!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Why do I keep reading about people being upset that morph is back? I thought morph was an alright mechanic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Yup. This is good art here. Unless there is a card of a bear punching a dragon (2G target creature you control gets +5/+5 and fights target creature?) I think this is just the best art wizards has for the set.

0/5

It isn't Colbert punching the bear.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LGD posted:

I love TS but they clearly didn't do it right, if we look at observable metrics.

ungulateman posted:

Throwing this out there: "Temur", the RUG clan, has a very similar name to Genghis Khan originally did (Temujin), and is in Sarkhan Vol's two original colours.

I think there's some parallels being drawn here, and I think we know which tribe Sarkhan was a part of.

I feel like the most appropriate colors for Genghis are WB though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gensuki posted:

I will be disappointed if it doesn't make it to a battle blanket.

• Locked thread