Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You also don't need as much str/dex if you're infusing your weapon because most of your damage will be from faith anyway. Or magic, or both as the case may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I made it to what looks like the second bonfire in the DLC but I seem to be stuck here. I had to drop down a bunch of ledges to get there and the only exits look like death drops.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You also don't need as much str/dex if you're infusing your weapon because most of your damage will be from faith anyway. Or magic, or both as the case may be.

You do if you are using the Drakewing UGS or the Curved Dragon Greatsword! :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hold the big weapons in both hands, cut the strength requirement.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hold the big weapons in both hands, cut the strength requirement.

I like singlehanding the weapons sometimes. :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You also only do half the poise damage you could if you don't meet the strength requirement normally.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Artificer posted:

You do if you are using the Drakewing UGS or the Curved Dragon Greatsword! :v:

Well you shouldn't be infusing those anyways since the special attack is based purely on physical attack. :colbert:

Malformed skull on the other hand is a different story.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I see the DLC is out. When during your first playthough would be a good time to access it?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I see the DLC is out. When during your first playthough would be a good time to access it?

Near the end of the game. It's probably supposed to be played after the main game but there's no reason not do do it after the Drangleic Castle areas. Which is what I'd suggest.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

IGgy IGsen posted:

Near the end of the game. It's probably supposed to be played after the main game but there's no reason not do do it after the Drangleic Castle areas. Which is what I'd suggest.
Yeah I'd dive in after the Crypt or so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dis astranagant posted:

I made it to what looks like the second bonfire in the DLC but I seem to be stuck here. I had to drop down a bunch of ledges to get there and the only exits look like death drops.

If you mean the tower of prayer, drop off the ledge to get back down, then head down into a cave somewhere below it.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

They aren't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, DLC done - managed to solo the bosses, even that one - so I'm feeling pretty good with myself! Trusty Blue Flame+5 is worth its weight in gold at the moment. Just need to slay the King (especially now I have the Sunken Crown and Ashen Mist Heart...) then I can make the jump to NG+. Whoop whoop.

Would anyone suggest joining the CoC for an NG+ run? I heard it feels like the 'proper' way the game's balanced.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Is there some reason that my durability is poo poo sometimes against the same opponents using the same weapon? Sometimes it will last a long time then sometimes it seems like I can only kill like ten enemies before my weapon breaks. This seems to happen most frequently with spears, and seeing as they're my favorite weapons typically, this is very frustrating.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've finally had the chance to get the Season Pass for this game. I booted up my old save, joined the Sun Bros again, and off I was praisin' the sun.

I gotta say, the Sanctum was REALLY fun. I didn't progress into the Cave of the Dead yet, but I beat both bosses of Dragon's Rest. Spend some time sun-broing for people! For some reason, the dragon - while being an incredibly fun fight, on par with Kalameet, I'd say - was really easy for me. I had a blast cosplaying as Velstadt while taking him down for others. His attack pattern gets really wonky with multiple people in the area so that it's much safer to just pummel him in melee. I got a couple questions for the area though!

- What's up with the big circular door near the spike field? I didn't find any corresponding switch - where is it?
- What's the deal with the first boss' summoning? At first I figured she couldn't have more than one summon in place, but then she dropped Velstadt on me with still one skeleton alive (incredible dick move, love you From). Is there any pattern to it? I read somewhere players can get summoned too, does it work similar to the Looking Glass Knight?
- I read that there are new spells for any school except Pyromancy, but I haven't found the Miracle yet. Is it in the Cave of the Dead (if so, don't tell me where ;) ) or did I miss it?
- What the hell is up with that creepy tree in the city? I figured it would have some significance since it had its separate area and all, but, uh, nothing. Anything known yet?

Oh well - curious what the Cave of the Dead is about, now. And it sure doesn't have any great stats, but I'll be rocking the Sunken Crown for the rest of the DLC now. :toot:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm thinking about saying gently caress it and putting down my 50 faith and 30 or so attunement into something else and switching to bows or something.

I'm level 256 with:

50 STR
36 END
31 VIT
30 ATT
45 STR
40 DEX
15 ADP
12 INT
50 FTH

and this hit to lightning feels like I should go back to pure strength/dex. Is it me or did they also nerf the defender sword? I swear it had an S rating to Lightning, and now it's set to B.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did you actually lighting infuse it?
Also whats the point of going pure str/dex with soul level that high, the cutoff gets really bad around 50 str/dex I think.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

FrickenMoron posted:

Did you actually lighting infuse it?
Also whats the point of going pure str/dex with soul level that high, the cutoff gets really bad around 50 str/dex I think.

Yeah, it's lightning +5 infused and everything, and it says B scale now.

I lugged around alot of Lightning spears, and now they're scarcer and less powerful, at least in Shulva, i'd be better off using a bow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Oh well - curious what the Cave of the Dead is about, now. And it sure doesn't have any great stats, but I'll be rocking the Sunken Crown for the rest of the DLC now. :toot:

You may not have noticed, but the Crown of the Sunken King actually grants stat boosts. If I'm remembering right it removes one point from both VIT/VIG and adds one to each of END/STR/DEX/INT/FTH.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Apparition posted:

Is there some reason that my durability is poo poo sometimes against the same opponents using the same weapon? Sometimes it will last a long time then sometimes it seems like I can only kill like ten enemies before my weapon breaks. This seems to happen most frequently with spears, and seeing as they're my favorite weapons typically, this is very frustrating.

Durability loss is mostly tied to hitting stuff that doesn't take damage, except for some reason nobody knows that also includes "attacking corpses / dying enemies" and the more frames that your weapon spends in such a state, the higher the durability loss is, so weapons with attacks which cover a large area or distance such as spear thrusts will be both more likely to hit multiple corpses or enemies with a single attack and spend a larger amount of time during the actual animation for each attack made. As I mentioned earlier, this is really bad with the Old Whip because it seems as though it counts killing blows on enemies as attacks against corpses which makes it basically unusable for PvE unless you're extremely careful.

And yes this is based on framerate which is why it's even worse for PC users running at 60 fps. The whole system of hitting corpses = durability loss is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a videogame, if it was an intentional design decision (I'm still holding out on From's B team just being too incompetent to fix it).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I read somewhere players can get summoned too, does it work similar to the Looking Glass Knight?

I read this on the wiki too and I'm pretty sure it's not true since other ones don't mention it.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I kinda wish poise worked in pvp.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Zaius posted:

I kinda wish poise worked in pvp.

It does.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Despite the high praise here I'm having a hard time getting into the expansion. I'm not sure what it is, but I think a lot of it has to do with how green and bland everything is. Jester Thomas was a great fight though.

I think that at least part of it is that I'm obsessive about SM, and each failure to get to the next bonfire tends to tack on another 100,000 to my total. I might go up through Dragon Sanctuary and then come back to it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

sector_corrector posted:

I think that at least part of it is that I'm obsessive about SM, and each failure to get to the next bonfire tends to tack on another 100,000 to my total. I might go up through Dragon Sanctuary and then come back to it.

Use your rings, man. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm kinda leery about SM at the moment. I'm SL 130 and hovering around something like 2-2.5 million (I spent at least 500k souls on hoovering up vendor items, spells, titanite, etc after Nashranda...). I shouldn't be bothered by it but I am.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRagamuffin posted:

Use your rings, man. :colbert:

I do, but going back to Majula every 3 deaths is getting tiresome too. Plus regardless of whether you save the souls with a RoP or not, you're still tacking them on to your total.

I might just be burnt out on the game at this point.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Finally got back into this game, tried my cleric again for a while but I just couldn't get back into it after the changes so I just started over. Still no idea what I'm really doing but my plan is to just get enough STR/DEX and Vit to use a big sword/Hammer and shield.

Starting this game as deprived feels a lot different than what I'm used to. I really liked the change of pace and how much slower I had to take everything and also how I had to go through every item I was finding to equip myself properly. My cleric never looked twice at any weapon or armor I was finding.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Don't stress about Soul Memory, everyone else has the same problems with ~*non optimal use of souls~* besides the ultra-spergs and if they invaded you then you probably wouldn't have won either way. Just have fun killing some mans, looking cute and praising the sun.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pwnstar posted:

Don't stress about Soul Memory, everyone else has the same problems with ~*non optimal use of souls~* besides the ultra-spergs and if they invaded you then you probably wouldn't have won either way. Just have fun killing some mans, looking cute and praising the sun.

Co-op is my favorite aspect of the game, and I don't want to screw myself over from being able to do that. I also recognize that it's at least partially a psychological tic on my end, and likely doesn't really matter in the long-run.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

There've been quite a few posts since I last checked the thread so I might have missed it, but with regards to the "weird tree thing" -

I don't know what it is supposed to be or who it is, but striking the tree with the notched whip seems to repair your other gear for some reason.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

This should be in the OP.

Invading in the DLC can either be really fun or disastrous. With how loving huge the map is and all the hiding spots, unless you're shown their healthbar for whatever reason it's impossible to find your victim.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

sector_corrector posted:

Co-op is my favorite aspect of the game, and I don't want to screw myself over from being able to do that. I also recognize that it's at least partially a psychological tic on my end, and likely doesn't really matter in the long-run.
Your SM is going up, but so is everyone else's. The availability of co-op seems to have more to do with the order in which you do things than soul optimization strategies, and because everyone does things in different orders it's a crapshoot whether you'll see tons of signs or none at all. Actually, trying to minimize your soul gain might hurt your ability to find players in the later parts of the game, because you may be too low. Just join the Sunbros and use the small sign to max out your range.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I respecced into a powerstanced Great Warrior Club setup for co-op in the DLC, so far it has been a smashing success.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Invading in the DLC can either be really fun or disastrous. With how loving huge the map is and all the hiding spots, unless you're shown their healthbar for whatever reason it's impossible to find your victim.

I've only had one invader in the DLC so far and they were just as bad at PvP as i am and i still wrecked them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't tell if "Abbess Feeva" is a NPC or not I keep seeing her and if it's a player they keep acting like one. Also, it's great that Sinh is the first dragon to realize he can just crane his neck a little to breath fire on whoever is stabbing him in the butt (ie; me).

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 26, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Are there any light armour sets with some poise which aren't generally lovely? It feels like all the good poise armour is the really heavy stuff and if you don't want to be super slow you just use a couple of pieces. Havel arms + legs with light chest and maybe a hood or something looks loving stupid :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RabidWeasel posted:

Are there any light armour sets with some poise which aren't generally lovely? It feels like all the good poise armour is the really heavy stuff and if you don't want to be super slow you just use a couple of pieces. Havel arms + legs with light chest and maybe a hood or something looks loving stupid :(

Alva's armor's good for the weight, and though it has no poise I also like the Black Leather set.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't tell if "Abbess Feeva" is a NPC or not I keep seeing her and if it's a player they keep acting like one. Also, it's great that Sinh is the first dragon to realize he can just crane his neck a little to breath fire on whoever is stabbing him in the butt (ie; me).

Joke's on him, it's a way worse attack then that fly up in the air and breath fire directly down attack that all the lovely dragon fights have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't tell if "Abbess Feeva" is a NPC or not I keep seeing her and if it's a player they keep acting like one.
She's an NPC, as is Transcendent Edde. Feeva seems to be a healbot, since her only source of damage is lightning spears and that boss resists lightning. Edde is a champ, though, best non-Jester Thomas summon since Ashen Knight Boyd.