Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Zorak posted:

The thing is that Time Spiral block actively drove people away from the game for being too complex and incomprehensible for non-entrenched players

I can't possibly imagine why WOTC would consider that a bad idea!!

Oh yeah, I definitely understand why it was considered a failure. I'm actually a little concerned that they're doing a set that looks like Khans in a year where sales are performing under forecast, because history could definitely repeat itself.

The other part of me looks at the fact that I didn't buy a single pack of Born and Journey and think "it's nice to see them swing for the fences again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Korak posted:

Why do I keep reading about people being upset that morph is back? I thought morph was an alright mechanic.

When they said they were bringing back something old that players have been asking for, I think everyone started to daydream about what it could be. Almost no one was thinking about morph.

Morph is a good mechanic, if they would have announced it in the dark I think people would cheer its return, but the "returning mystery thing" got overhyped.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ramos posted:

0/5

It isn't Colbert punching the bear.

This can be fixed :colbert:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely understand why it was considered a failure. I'm actually a little concerned that they're doing a set that looks like Khans in a year where sales are performing under forecast, because history could definitely repeat itself.

Sales were only down for Q2 2014 compared to Q2 2013. Overall sales in 2013 were incredible, and the Fall sets are going to sell gangbusters (especially since the new Commander sets are going to move like crazy). WOTC isn't exactly at risk.

Northjayhawk posted:

When they said they were bringing back something old that players have been asking for, I think everyone started to daydream about what it could be. Almost no one was thinking about morph.

Morph is a good mechanic, if they would have announced it in the dark I think people would cheer its return, but the "returning mystery thing" got overhyped.

I'm pretty sure the thing WOTC was referring to was Orcs. Folks want Orcs.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Throwing this out there: "Temur", the RUG clan, has a very similar name to Genghis Khan originally did (Temujin), and is in Sarkhan Vol's two original colours.

I think there's some parallels being drawn here, and I think we know which tribe Sarkhan was a part of.

Then again, Sarkhan was the Jund planeswalker of Alara so any tribe that has RB or RG (or I guess BG, but dragons...) could handle him. That would leave WBR and WBG too. In the visual spoilers, he seemed color coordinated to WBR?

Sarkhan just doesn't seem to mesh with RUG, but that might be why he planeswalked away, assuming he chose to leave, and that he didn't choose to stay because DRAGONS!!!

Zorak posted:

I'm pretty sure the thing WOTC was referring to was Orcs. Folks want Orcs.

My favorite Orc is Orcish lumberjack, which turns forests into black lotuses with upside. Because you need 5 drops on turn 2. Here's hoping for a reprint!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Wow, Tarkir looks baller.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chill la Chill posted:

I will be disappointed if it doesn't make it to a battle blanket.

If it does I will buy it in a heartbeat and give my brother the Blood Crypt one I won at a Pre-release.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zorak posted:

The thing is that Time Spiral block actively drove people away from the game for being too complex and incomprehensible for non-entrenched players

I can't possibly imagine why WOTC would consider that a bad idea!!

My introduction to the game in 2004 was in a school club that had a gigantic mess of cards from every era of the game for club use. Because of this, I was familiar with most of the mechanics going in. Time Spiral remains my favorite block to this day, and I wouldn't consider myself "entrenched" after only (at the time) 2 years of very limited casual play. I knew enough to be able to enjoy the nostalgia aspect and recognize the time and color shifted cards, and that was enough for me.

Someone starting from scratch wouldn't have had that kind of introduction to old mechanics and cards and probably would have been overwhelmed, so I definitely understand why it is considered a failure. At bare minimum, it had way too many mechanics coexisting in the same block. Add in the multitude of references to old cards that new players simply wouldn't get and you have new players that are confused and don't "get" 80% of the cards in the set.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Gensuki posted:

My favorite Orc is Orcish lumberjack, which turns forests into black lotuses with upside. Because you need 5 drops on turn 2. Here's hoping for a reprint!

Since time travel is a thing in Khans,

hopefully we can get this sweet art to Orcish Lumberjack

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

If it does I will buy it in a heartbeat and give my brother the Blood Crypt one I won at a Pre-release.

It should ideally be a triptych. Man punches bear, bear punches dragon, dragon punches man. Each one represents the eternal control, combo, and aggro circle of life.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh my god you guys.

I just figured out the best possible Planeswalker we could get from these "Legends who didn't get cards" Commander ideas.

Slobad, while he had the spark on Mirrodin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

There is basically no way this card would see reprint in Khans for a host of reasons.

E: the main one being it's actually an insanely powerful card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

GonSmithe posted:

Oh my god you guys.

I just figured out the best possible Planeswalker we could get from these "Legends who didn't get cards" Commander ideas.

Jaya or bust

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Jaya or bust

Yeah, this is the correct answer. Her proto-planswalker creature card from Time Spiral doesn't count.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Wurzag posted:

That deck only has 20 lands. I appreciate that most of the deck is really cheap mana cost wise but did you not find yourself screwed for mana all the time (especially with 4 coming in tapped)? I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'd like to play somethimg similar

Most of the deck is 2-3 drops, the key 3 drop makes everything cheaper, and I really hate putting more than 20 land into a deck since I usually play things vaguely aggro-themed and I am a baddie at deckbuilding. It usually works though. Usually. Putting in another land or two to replace Madcaps probably wouldn't hurt (especially if they were Mutavaults, but :homebrew:) but that probably won't become an experiment until Khans when my shocks and every single noncreature spell all rotate out en masse and there's currently no adequate replacement for them

Replacing Mortars, Dreadbore, and Madcap with Lightning Strike, Doom Blade/Downfall, and ...Inferno Fist? Hammerhand? does not sound appealing in the slightest, and I'm hoping hard for Sulfurous Springs to somehow be in Khans to finish the M15 cycle as well as whatever else may be the new lands. I'm hoping hard for Khans to give me adequate replacement tools overall.

Zorak posted:

THE JESKAI ARE COOL AS gently caress YHOLY loving poo poo

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT BIRDMAN IS BUT IT IS GETTING OPEN PALM SLAMMED INTO MY EDH DECK SO HARD.

GonSmithe posted:

Oh my god you guys.

Give me Leshrac/Freyalise/Ravi/Serra/Tevesh Szat or give me death.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 26, 2014

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Pretty hyped for all the old Duel Decks being reprinted. That was a big unexpected reveal.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Know who's a legend without a card?

Fblthp:getin:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Arcanis saw near zero play in a totally different format and probably isn't being reprinted in a standard legal product anyway.

I thought that Arcanis was often reanimated in Odyssey-Onslaught type 2.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

OneDeadman posted:

Know who's a legend without a card?

Fblthp:getin:

Fblthp and Oglor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zorak posted:

THE JESKAI ARE COOL AS gently caress YHOLY loving poo poo

Is the blue guy an orc monk?

Also, what the hell is that slender fireman?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Kurtofan posted:

No, it's Fire Slenderman

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I am so excited for anything related to or can benefit or be used in commander I'll tell you what.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow this set sounded cool as heck even before Morph was announced. And Arcanis is (sorta) back? I chose a good time to return to Magic I guess.

OneDeadman posted:

So that's this guy's more efficiently costed grand daddy?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

My wild rear end guess: blue guy is a Djinn Monk, Red Guy is Efreet Monk.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Archenteron posted:

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT BIRDMAN IS BUT IT IS GETTING OPEN PALM SLAMMED INTO MY EDH DECK SO HARD.
Remember way back when we wanted cards like DIVING SUN PHOENIX, GLORY OF THE SKY - deal 3 damage? This post reminded me of that and I hope we get cards like that one day. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zorak posted:

My wild rear end guess: blue guy is a Djinn Monk, Red Guy is Efreet Monk.

They're in the set? Nice.

Chorocojo posted:

No, it's Fire Slenderman

Spooky :ohdear:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

No, it's Fire Slenderman

Not nearly as successful as the original due to how bad he was at sneaking up on people while constantly holding fire.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

The Jeskai are Cunning

Zorak posted:

MORPH IS BACK the gently caress is going onnnn

Jesus gently caress

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seems like they didn't post a good version of the Temur art, oh well:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Chorocojo posted:

No, it's Fire Slenderman

If he gets a card, his brother Saul really deserves one.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ensoul Artifact on a Springleaf Drum in this modern match... Gives me ideas for an interesting Standard deck. :black101:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Cifka playing Affinity at GP Boston and is getting the Ensoul Artifact on Springleaf Drum beats in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

MCRRIB ORCS ARE BACK

I KNEW IT I loving KNEW THE OLD THING BROUGHT BACK WAS ORCS YES YES YES :orks: :black101:

Oh hey Arcanis the Omnipotent he's pretty rad too.

I'm digging the names for the Wedges as well, and that the gimmick is Wedges and Time Travel. Also Morph.

Hmmm. Wedge Time Travel.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 26, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It looks like I picked a good year to fully get back into Magic. :allears:

Also glad to hear that Conspiracy sold well enough that they'll probably do another set like that. My LGS is running Conspiracy drafts still every weekend with no prize pool until there's no longer any in stock, since a bunch of us, including the owner, love playing it so much.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"gently caress it, we're out of ideas; :getin:": the block.

(Please note that I am joking and do not believe Wizards is actually out of ideas. Also, I think this block will be amazing.)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Maro posted on his blog details that were in the panel, but clear up some stuff from how they're stated:

quote:

Khans of Tarkir
- Wedges! Tarkir is Bizarralara!
- Morph returns!
- Large/small/large where the small set is drafted with both large sets
- The block is a time travel story
- Khans of Tarkir is a wedge set but it is not a wedge block as the story is about change
- The five clans are based off of aspects of dragons: endurance, cunning, ruthlessness, speed and savagery (based around a single color in WUBRG order with one ally and one enemy)
- Each clan gets it’s own mechanic plus morph so there are six mechanics in Khans
- Each clan has a three-color leader (aka the khans) who were all introduced

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's me. I am the person whi, for the last 3 years, has beeb harping on abiut how I wanted Morph back.

MORPH.

(course I'm a judge now, so I need to deal with all the morph bullshit.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Print Lithomancer in Commander.
Print Ugin in Commander and in Khans.
Wizards, take all my money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zorak posted:

The five clans are based off of aspects of dragons: endurance, cunning, ruthlessness, speed and savagery (based around a single color in WUBRG order with one ally and one enemy)

Is there a thematic element to calling colors in a wedge enemies and allies, or is it just a shorthand for the position of the colors on the Magic pentagon?

mehall posted:

It's me. I am the person whi, for the last 3 years, has beeb harping on abiut how I wanted Morph back.

MORPH.

I'm pretty stoked too. It's the mechanic introduced when I started playing MtG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Personally? I'm hoping for two things from this set.

Arcanis gets a planeswalker card.

And that this gets reprinted:

• Locked thread