Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

PirateNipple posted:

I guess I could play it for a day and then sell it for 3d World, too.

Some people have been trading their physical games in exchange for the download code you get after you register Mario Kart 8. Personally I like NSMBU more than 3D World so I wouldn't get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo Challenge starts in five minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V1L3Br2GYk

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the live Twitch stream they just announced the NES Remix retail copy is coming to the US this holiday season.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

On the live Twitch stream they just announced the NES Remix retail copy is coming to the US this holiday season.

That's cool since I not bought any of the NES Remixes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

How much is it gonna run? Also will it include all the volumes because I can't imagine any of the games taking up that much room.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

How much is it gonna run? Also will it include all the volumes because I can't imagine any of the games taking up that much room.

Dunno the cost, but they did say it has NES Remix 1 & 2 together.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Japanese release of NES Remix 1 and 2 cost 2858 Yen, which converts to $28 USD.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

The Japanese release of NES Remix 1 and 2 cost 2858 Yen, which converts to $28 USD.

That's not bad once you figure in eventual store discounts.

I hope some of their other VC titles make it. They've already done a Mario and Kirby Compilation for the Wii, it couldn't hurt to put one out for every major series.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
NES Remix isn't really just a collection of VC games though, and they go for $30 combined. It's more like the Warioware games with longer challenges, or the Game Center CX game on the DS.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

homeless snail posted:

Speaking as someone who thinks the NSMB series ranges from mediocre fangame quality to complete garbage, NSMBU is actually totally worth playing. Not as good as 3D World clearly, but easily the best NSMB game. I hear the Luigi DLC is really good too.

The Luigi one makes me feel bad at video games at several points, so it's totally worth getting.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How does Pikmin 3 compare to the previous games in the series? I'm finally getting around to playing it as my free MK8 game, and I've never played another game in the series. I kind of dig it, now I'm wondering if I missed out on a couple great games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They're showing Bayonetta 2 on the Nintendo stream now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You missed out on a couple of great games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

How does Pikmin 3 compare to the previous games in the series? I'm finally getting around to playing it as my free MK8 game, and I've never played another game in the series. I kind of dig it, now I'm wondering if I missed out on a couple great games.

The first two Pikmin games got re-released on the Wii with wiimote controls, so you can try to hunt down copies of those.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Astro7x posted:

Pikmin 3 is definitely the best in the series, but I think the other two games still have a lot of charm and are worth checking out, especially Pikmin 2. Going all the way down to Pikmin 1 will be hard since it only has the three primary Pikmin and one captain, but it's also the game with the strictest time limit so it might have some value just in terms of challenge.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Elliotw2 posted:

NES Remix isn't really just a collection of VC games though, and they go for $30 combined. It's more like the Warioware games with longer challenges, or the Game Center CX game on the DS.

It's still a compilation because it's featuring both games. And I'd imagine doing something similar for Zelda, Metroid and the like couldn't hurt either.

The Gamecube Zelda Compilation is still pretty high in demand. And it's the only way to get the most recent version of Majora's Mask in physical form.

I'd hope for an Earthbound physical release on a disc but they would probably need to put more than Earthbound on it. or maybe just put in extras like the Mario and Kirby ones. It's not exactly like the Wii-U has a loaded release schedule in the near future either. So there is definitely room for novelty titles.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 26, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Bayonetta 2 demo being shown actually has graphics that say DEMO on them whereas most E3 builds like Toad Treasure Tracker didn't, so I think this may be a demo that Wii U owners will get to play at some point (and Wonderful 101 got a demo too so it's not out there).

The build had Prologue, Chapter I and I think Chapter IV but IV wasn't shown.

e: They decided to show it after all woops!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 26, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Pikmin 3 is definitely the best in the series, but I think the other two games still have a lot of charm and are worth checking out, especially Pikmin 2. Going all the way down to Pikmin 1 will be hard since it only has the three primary Pikmin and one captain, but it's also the game with the strictest time limit so it might have some value just in terms of challenge.

I also think 1 and 2 are worth checking out, and acknowledge that 3 is the best in the series. But I think 1 is more similar to 3 in spirit than 2, and also way more charming than 2. 1 has the same types of carefully arranged, densely-packed environments that 3 does, whereas most of 2 takes place in sparse, drab, randomly-generated caves.

Though 2 does have more Pikmin types and captains (and thus more multitasking) which makes it feel a bit closer to 3 at times.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
First Bayonetta is one of my favorite games, loved seeing the new weapons and enemies shown off in the demo. That was perfect. Curious changes to the magic system though, wasn't expecting that.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Nintendo, please do not put celebrity guest stars onto your streams if they do not play your games.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Looks like I missed Bayonetta and now it's just two dudes playing Mario and being told they'll be cut if they screw up. I'm not sure I'm ready for a Nintendo this dark.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd hope for an Earthbound physical release on a disc but they would probably need to put more than Earthbound on it. or maybe just put in extras like the Mario and Kirby ones. It's not exactly like the Wii-U has a loaded release schedule in the near future either. So there is definitely room for novelty titles.

I am not sure why they haven't tried to offer a retail disc game that is just a collection of VC titles. I guess they sort of did that with Super Mario Allstars.

Have stuff like the Mega Man collection discs just not been that successful?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Astro7x posted:

I am not sure why they haven't tried to offer a retail disc game that is just a collection of VC titles. I guess they sort of did that with Super Mario Allstars.

Have stuff like the Mega Man collection discs just not been that successful?

I'm sure publishers think why put four games on a disc that costs money to print and distribute when people will happily buy four individual games digitally.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Soul Glo posted:

I'm sure publishers think why put four games on a disc that costs money to print and distribute when people will happily buy four individual games digitally.

Except this is exactly what the NES Remix disc literally is. And the Super Mario one was the ROM just slapped onto the disc.

So if they're going to do it, why not just go all out? Package the games with a full sized artbook like they've done in japan. Hell the e-shop titles already take up a good chunk of the display at Gamestop and all they're giving you is a code. Again we're not exactly dealing with a system that's awash in titles so having a bunch of bargain games that are the progenitors to well established series helps.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The Taint Reaper posted:

Except this is exactly what the NES Remix disc literally is.

So if they're going to do it, why not just go all out? Package the games with a full sized artbook like they've done in japan. Hell the e-shop titles already take up a good chunk of the display at Gamestop and all they're giving you is a code.

NES Remix is a game based on small parts of virtual console games.

It is not the virtual console games themselves.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shelf Adventure posted:

NES Remix is a game based on small parts of virtual console games.

It is not the virtual console games themselves.

You're still selling two VC titles that were originally only available there in a physical disc.

I mean geez I'm certain you could get stuff like that nice Metroid Artbook they released over in Japan translate it and put in Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid for 30-40 bucks and it would sell. I mean people bought Hyrule Historia and that came with no games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 26, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The Taint Reaper posted:

You're still selling two VC titles that were originally only available there in a physical disc.

I mean geez I'm certain you could get stuff like that nice Metroid Artbook they released over in Japan translate it and put in Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid for 30-40 bucks and it would sell.

No. You're selling two eshop titles that weren't available on disc previously. VC is just old roms. This is more akin to them putting the new wii sports on disc.

I think you're vastly over estimating the amount of people who would buy compilation VC titles. People already think the download versions are too expensive as they are. If the numbers for the Kirby and Mario compilations had been good enough we'd be swimming in those compilations by now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sega's compilations have done reasonably well for them. Of course, they put sixty games on a disk and charge twenty bucks for it rather than fifty dollars for four games.

Here's a basic plan for Nintendo to make money on physical releases for old games: bundle them together as a history on the disk. Minimal development time and effort. They could easily license some minor games from other publishers to put together at almost no cost. Then release as a series of disks that cover periods. Drop alternate versions in, some old material from the vault, maybe a couple of video interviews, and you're good to go. They could release another volume every six months and allow some cross cutting between volumes to round them out a bit, justified by the international releases (a disk containing all of the NES launch line up on it, for example). They don't even have to go in order so they don't have to worry about "dud" volumes depressing sales of the series.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 27, 2014

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
NES Remix also serves as a great advertisement FOR virtual console games, so it makes a lot of sense to offer it as a physical product.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Here's some Bayonetta 2 for those that missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHk7xMJs1M
I never played the first one, including it with the sequel was a great idea and has guaranteed my sale, and the sequel just looks better and better.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm happy to be living in a world where Nintendo shows off the Bayonetta anime at Comic Con.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Are there any games on any system where you play as Bowser other than the sports titles and RPGs?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
An adventure game playing as Bowser the whole time would be fun.

I really liked the segments in The Thousand Year Door playing as Bowser :)

You can play as Bowser in Smash Brothers!

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up

Kly posted:

Are there any games on any system where you play as Bowser other than the sports titles and RPGs?

Also the new Mario Party, one player will get to play as Bowser against 4 other mario cast members.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kly posted:

While it's part of the Paper Mario series, the action RPG spinoff Super Paper Mario lets you play as Bowser after a few hours in, and he is really good in it once you get the pixel that functions as a moving platform, since it lets Bowser use his flame breath in midair and while moving instead of being stationary.

Which speaking of Paper Mario, the second game had a few short 'Bowser segments' inbetween chapters, with a few playing like Mario 1, with Bowser getting stronger as he eats meat.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Misandu posted:

NES Remix also serves as a great advertisement FOR virtual console games, so it makes a lot of sense to offer it as a physical product.

This is definitely the case, I decided to pick it up as my Club Nintendo reward and now really want to play Excitebike and Balloon fight. Joke's on nintendo though since I have an original NES still. But otherwise!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dr. Dos posted:

This is definitely the case, I decided to pick it up as my Club Nintendo reward and now really want to play Excitebike and Balloon fight. Joke's on nintendo though since I have an original NES still. But otherwise!

I always thought Balloon Fight was better than Joust since it made more sense as far as how you were supposed to hit enemies. And I thought it was weird that the physics in that game mirror the underwater segments of Super Mario Bros. until I read somewhere that they were in fact the same.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Balloon Fight is better than Joust because a) the movement is much smoother, and b) Balloon Trip.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Kly posted:

Other than the games where you get to play as Bowser? No, there's no games where you get to play as Bowser outside of those where you do. Seriously though, what an arbitrary distinction to make, if you remove that you realize there's plenty of games where you can play as Bowser. Bowser's Inside Story in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

Other than the games where you get to play as Bowser? No, there's no games where you get to play as Bowser outside of those where you do. Seriously though, what an arbitrary distinction to make, if you remove that you realize there's plenty of games where you can play as Bowser. Bowser's Inside Story in particular.

Bowser's inside story was good but then dream team was such a letdown.

the Mario RPGs still have not topped TTYD though.

• Locked thread