Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

like SQL people weren't like oh this is cool, lets throw it in here as a cool feature.

they're integral to good database design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Squinty Applebottom posted:

you need info for resourceid = 509 out of 1 billion

clustered indexes will be orders of magnitude more performant, especially if you start joining on resourceid between tables

well either way you have to do an index lookup. with a clustered index now you have your data. with a regular index you have to do up to one more seek to get the row from the block cache. it will help if you do a super ridiculous amount of primary key lookups and have a low hit rate on the block cache. this isn't something i've ever run into, that's all

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

dunno man i just put jackson on the classpath, annotate the controller class with @RestController, and return pojos from my controller methods

a little config fuckery is required if i want to ensure clients only ever get json cause spring likes to autodetect the poo poo out of everything and it'll probably produce csv if you don't tell it not to. but that's a cross i just have to bear

i found all this out by reading the docs and the source. like maybe do find usages on webinvoke and see how MVC is processing it & deciding what format to send the response

I wasn't doing MVC.

I was trying to work with a old .NET 2.0 forms thing. Sr Dev doesn't do MVC and nobody else there does either. Then again right now he's the ONLY other programmer. By the way, I've read the documentation, and stack overflow, and none of it worked. I built, rebuilt, cleaned, checked assemblies, restarted VS, restarted my machine, did all the voodoo I can think of, and welp nope.

I busted out fiddler, went through the motions, kept seeing my poo poo wrapped up in xml. POST, GET, content type, all that poo poo.

No CSV though, lol.

I'm just going to do it in loving MVC, because I've done this in MVC before. Goddamn. I did this exact loving thing all day thoughtlessly.

I know there's SOME config thing somewhere, and I was wondering if anyone else had ran into this, but I guess everyone would rather just assume "pee pee doo doo lazy/bad/lazybad programmer" because we're all bitter loving goons.

raruler posted:

and a reminder to be constantly vigilant in the face of SQL joins

w-wat about hash j-joins??

is there weed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all my indexes are clustered and highly available

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

all my indexes are clustered and highly available

that's what your mom said last night, my seeks executed in O(2n) but I only paid for O(n)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress them posted:

I wasn't doing MVC.

I was trying to work with a old .NET 2.0 forms thing. Sr Dev doesn't do MVC and nobody else there does either. Then again right now he's the ONLY other programmer. By the way, I've read the documentation, and stack overflow, and none of it worked. I built, rebuilt, cleaned, checked assemblies, restarted VS, restarted my machine, did all the voodoo I can think of, and welp nope.

I busted out fiddler, went through the motions, kept seeing my poo poo wrapped up in xml. POST, GET, content type, all that poo poo.

No CSV though, lol.

I'm just going to do it in loving MVC, because I've done this in MVC before. Goddamn. I did this exact loving thing all day thoughtlessly.

I know there's SOME config thing somewhere, and I was wondering if anyone else had ran into this, but I guess everyone would rather just assume "pee pee doo doo lazy/bad/lazybad programmer" because we're all bitter loving goons.

w-wat about hash j-joins??

is there weed

what i'm suggesting is to step through ASP.NET with a debugger as it builds the response. or does MS not let you see the source lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

whats the use case for a clustered index, i've never run into a situation where seeks to fetch rows were a big part of execution time. table scans, big problem

They may or may not fix the joins.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

what i'm suggesting is to step through ASP.NET with a debugger as it builds the response. or does MS not let you see the source lol

Well, that's one of the first things I did.

I built up my JSON perfectly. Then it's time to return the string (actually send poo poo down the pipe) and then end the method then end the class then the debugger goes back into my browser.

Then jQuery bleats.

Then I look in fiddler and WELP IT'S WRAPPED IN XML STRING TAGS.

Every single setting I could find to annotate/decorate/throw glitter on the method that actually serializes the thing and poots it out says "ITS JSON" and "ITS GET OR POST WHATEVER YOU SET IT TO LAST" and nope, xml string or xml envelope.

I'm just gonna do it fresh in MVC over the weekend or something, to hell with it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

I guess everyone would rather just assume "pee pee doo doo lazy/bad/lazybad programmer" because we're all bitter loving goons.
*posts in thread for terrible programmers*

*is offended when people draw the natural conclusion*

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Soricidus posted:

*posts in thread for terrible programmers*

*is offended when people draw the natural conclusion*

I was assuming it was sarcasm and that this was just the green help thread, not the "come here for abuse when one merely wanted argument" thread.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so like return a poco and let asp.net turn it into json

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

so like return a poco and let asp.net turn it into json

Maybe I was asking too insistently and should just let it do it on its own time. Good idea.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i'm getting this sense that you're reading posts entirely different from the ones i've written. and also that you're drunk

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
in memory column store

get on my level

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I was assuming it was sarcasm and that this was just the green help thread, not the "come here for abuse when one merely wanted argument" thread.

If you just fixed the indexes, no one would abuse you

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I was putting a POCO into a javascriptserializer and I Was in fact sending JSON. I said it was JSON in prior posts.

The problem is the stupid server was wrapping it in a single XML string tag set which contained the JSON string. Then with one magic incantation of decorators and web config poo poo it was coming out as SOAP in an xml envelope.

I wanted to figure out how to loving stop that instead of capturing it and removing the xml tags in javascript. I mean yeah I could just loving hack it but I'm tired of that.

And yeah I'll probably just do it in MVC with a fresh project.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

coffeetable posted:

please compare and contrast your whining bout source control w/ EAT THE EGGS RICOLAs whining bout source control

<3

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
isn't gently caress them like 30 years old

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

at first i didnt think wpf would be decent at all but i actually like it and c# is really easy to use

what i'm saying is that shaggar was right

slowly but surely i've found myself agreeing with shaggar's opinions w/r/t c# and java

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
to be clear though i've yet to ever program in C# or java

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

uncurable mlady posted:

that's what your mom said last night, my seeks executed in O(2n) but I only paid for O(n)

:laffo:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

to be clear though i've yet to ever program in C# or java

lucky

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also is your content type application/xml because maybe windows servers are stupid like that?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

uncurable mlady posted:

also is your content type application/xml because maybe windows servers are stupid like that?

Nope, I set it to json. Pretty much everywhere I could set it I set it to json explicitly.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

gently caress if i know then, i dont do weird ms web poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why don't you just compile a c++ program as a .cgi and just run that?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
someone please tell me what i need to change in iterm 2 for osx so that i can jump between whitespace i dont feel like figuring this out right now

right now the function key jumps to the start of a line but all the other meta keys dont do anything

opt
Oct 10, 2007

slowly but surely i've found myself agreeing with shaggar's opinions w/r/t c# and java

i heard about mybatis from shagger, before that i was loving around with spring's jdbc templates. from then on, i learned that shagger is right

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
just wrote a lil script to scrape the music thread and get all the links. i might mess with the youtube api and see if i can easily add these to a playlist, or is it easy enough to do on the site itself? i don't think i've ever made a playlist on there before.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Papes posted:

just wrote a lil script to scrape the music thread and get all the links. i might mess with the youtube api and see if i can easily add these to a playlist, or is it easy enough to do on the site itself? i don't think i've ever made a playlist on there before.

yeah that'll be real easy. you can probably write a script to do it in the time it would take you to add them all to a list manually.

actually i dont know anything about the api but assuming it's like every other api it'll be easy. maybe they dont let you make playlists for some reason who knows.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did i miss a funny computar itt someone give me the update

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

also if you are using mysql you can use mysql connector c++

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

yeah that'll be real easy. you can probably write a script to do it in the time it would take you to add them all to a list manually.

actually i dont know anything about the api but assuming it's like every other api it'll be easy. maybe they dont let you make playlists for some reason who knows.

i've found the youtube api to be loving awful in my experience but i've only tried uploading stuff, not other account things

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

opt posted:

i heard about mybatis from shagger, before that i was loving around with spring's jdbc templates. from then on, i learned that shagger is right

same

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

BONGHITZ posted:

why don't you just compile a c++ program as a .cgi and just run that?

lol

lesson learned, don't try to defuck someone else's decade old poo poo unless you have a drat good reason :smith:

seriously though every loving DOCUMENTED setting I could find was used and abused and welp gently caress it

shaggar was right etc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

someone please tell me what i need to change in iterm 2 for osx so that i can jump between whitespace i dont feel like figuring this out right now

right now the function key jumps to the start of a line but all the other meta keys dont do anything

Just use Terminal.app, OP.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

lol

lesson learned, don't try to defuck someone else's decade old poo poo unless you have a drat good reason

im not sure if you're being sarcastic but this is a v good lesson to learn

it's been around for a decade, working, what the gently caress makes you think you can do better today

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

it's been around for a decade, working, what the gently caress makes you think you can do better today

because i wrote tests before i changed a single line

because i read the commit log to see how much was API and formatting churn and how much was fixes/features

because i deleted it instead of rewriting it

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Dessert Rose posted:

"Hey add this thing."

Ok.

[[Spaghetti intensifies]]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz4D9vMpmI4I_GwnBUAxP9T-pCPDVL-Ko

So I realized that after I ran the script that I wasn't checking for duplicates, I dunno why that just never crossed my mind. There didn't appear to be an easy way to just remove all videos so I just kind of spot checked and removed as many dupes as I could be bothered to. It's me I'm the terrible programmer.

• Locked thread