Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Sometimes now, months after my surgery, I'll rub my eyes a bit too hard and my vision will go blurry for a few moments before correcting itself, does anyone else get this?
Scares the hell out of me, but nothing permanent seems to happen.
I also want to know if it's OK to wear an eye mask when sleeping. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I had LASEK through Optical Express 4 weeks ago. My vision's great now, but I have to say that the first 2-3 days were horrible. The discomfort paired with bedrest on my own was so frustrating, so I just drugged myself up on unholy amounts of co-codamol and slept as much as I could.

Also Optical Express hosed up my financing- they'd incorrectly put me down for the more expensive LASIK, so my operation was delayed for almost an hour while we sorted that out, and then further delayed (while I was actually lying in theatre) because the patient they were working on before (shudda been after) was asking so many questions. The delay meant I had to travel across London in rush hour, while in mild shock and a fair amount of pain. The nurse also failed to explain to me that one of my drops needed shaking before use and it wasn't written on the bottle, only in the literature.

I was supposed to have a follow up appointment on Monday to check how things are doing, but I missed it because of a migraine. Find it a bit suspicious that they haven't phoned me to point this out or try to rebook me.

Love the fact I don't have to gently caress around with my fingers in my eyes dragging out lenses in the morning or before bed any more though! Can't wait to go camping or swimming. It was definitely worth the 3000.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leidend posted:

I'm a bad sleeper - anyone hosed up their surgery by rubbing too much?

The first week or two things could get messed up but it doesn't happen frequently because people are usually careful about it. The rare complications (caused directly by the patient) are due to not using the drops diligently and getting infections. So don't jump in a hot tub or a river/lake soon after the surgery.

hitension posted:

Sometimes now, months after my surgery, I'll rub my eyes a bit too hard and my vision will go blurry for a few moments before correcting itself, does anyone else get this?

I also want to know if it's OK to wear an eye mask when sleeping. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution.

You'd have to rub really hard or scratch your eye in a freak accident to dislodge the flap months after the surgery. A mask wouldn't be an issue.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Has anyone had SBK (Sub-Bowen's Keratomileusis) before? I've heard it's just a newer form of LASIk (No blades, just lasers) and I'm thinking about getting it. I"m terribly near-sighted but at my consultation they said they think they could correct my vision to something like 20/13 and even improve my night vision (what up super thick corneas). Seems like a good deal and the few people I've heard who had it done had great results.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

madlilnerd posted:

I was supposed to have a follow up appointment on Monday to check how things are doing, but I missed it because of a migraine. Find it a bit suspicious that they haven't phoned me to point this out or try to rebook me.

The places that I checked out in the USA and ultimately had the surgery at all void any warranty or liability if you miss you follow up appointments.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
From -8 to -0.05.

So loving worth it. 20/15 in my right eye and the left is almost there. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Advanced custom wavefront LASIK is done. Some eye bruising but all of it is covered when looking forward, only a small spot on left eye when looking to the right.

I can read an entire eye chart with both eyes now, not even 24 hours later. Glare from screens etc is not great yet and near sighted news actually seems worse, is that normal?

They gave me a coupon for 30% off Sunglass Hut sunglasses too, which is nice since I haven't bought a pair since I started wearing glasses.

Getting eyedrops to drop in the right spot and not rubbing my eyes is much more difficult than anything else.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

26 hours after SBK/LASIK procedure and my vision is already 20/15 and it's supposed to keep improving over the next few days. I don't have almost any glare or blurriness, but there's still quite a bit of discomfort. It doesn't hurt but just uncomfortable, but I'm supposed to keep putting drops in for a long time. Don't really have any dry eyes yet.

Overall it was awesome, would recommend it to anyone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leidend posted:

I can read an entire eye chart with both eyes now, not even 24 hours later. Glare from screens etc is not great yet and near sighted news actually seems worse, is that normal?

After my first surgery I found some things to be bright for a week or two so I actually wore sunglasses while watching TV/computer on and off.

It can also take a week or two for your eye muscles to adjust to focusing on close things as well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Brightness tolerance is pretty much 100% but my left eye especially is getting itchy and red-ish. I had bruising on both eyes that wasn't visible unless I pulled my eyelid back, but it seems to be getting closer to my iris (also fading into a gross peach colour).

It's not enough to gross out people at work but my left eye doesn't look great. Would've been nice if they told me about this sooner than 30 seconds before surgery.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I looked like I'd gotten punched in the face for a day or two after surgery, and they definitely didn't tell me that would happen at any point before the surgery. I had a concerned lady in the mall pull me aside and ask if everything was ok and if I needed to talk to anyone.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
For anxiety what is commonly given? Ativan? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Looking at iLasik, $2500 per eye.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Veinless posted:

For anxiety what is commonly given? Ativan? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Xanax is commonly given. It wouldn't surprise me if Ativan was as well as those two are substituted for one another frequently.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I got a Valium. It was a really tiny dose and honestly I'm not sure it wasn't just a placebo because I didn't feel loopy at all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

After my week check up they said my corneal swelling was a bit worse than usual. Gotta go back in another two weeks and maybe go on strong medication to fix it.

If my eyesight were to stay as it is I wouldn't regret the procedure, since I never have to use glasses, but I hope it gets better. Never expected near-sight to get worse when it was perfect before.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I'm going in for LASIK in one hour. I'm very nearsighted and have been wearing glasses since I was five. Wish me luck, I'll post my experience/results tomorrow.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Helmholz posted:

I'm going in for LASIK in one hour. I'm very nearsighted and have been wearing glasses since I was five. Wish me luck, I'll post my experience/results tomorrow.

I'd been in glasses since I was 7 and got LASIK at 24, it took a good solid month at least to break the habit of grabbing at my face to take off my glasses before bed and waking up in the middle of the night going "poo poo I forgot to take out my contacts!!"

For those of you with chronic dry eye, Systane Gel Overnight Therapy is amazing. I put a glob or two in each eye before bed and my eyes are fine the whole next day despite staring at a computer screen all day.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

They gave me a teddy bear to strangle while they zapped my eyes. I don't know what some posters were talking about when they described being able to smell their eyes cooking under the laser, I couldn't smell anything. The most uncomfortable part wasn't the laser flap-creation, I couldn't even feel that. The worst part was what felt like a cylinder being pushed into my eye socket to force my eye open and stabilize it. The nurse kept telling me to "quit squeezing" although I was doing so involuntarily. The numbing drops wore off pretty quickly and another poster in this thread accurately described it as "not pain, more like a hundred eyelashes stuck in your eye at once," except the eyelashes are all inside of your eye and pointing toward the back of your socket. It's been six hours and I'm just a little sore now.

I came home and turned off every light in the house. Extreme sensitivity to light, instant headache from brightness. I can already see just as well as I could with glasses, my eyes are just fugged-up, puffy and my vision is slightly blurred. It's back to work tomorrow. You know the "fuzzy barn" eye test where you've got to look at the barn in the distance and watch it come into focus? When laser does its thing, the entire room came into focus just like that. It felt loving awesome. I'm just having trouble falling asleep after the nap I took once I got home. I was told that in a few weeks, I'll see better than I ever did with glasses or contacts. Can't wait.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

It's been 24 hours since the procedure and my eyes are only a little (little) bit sore. I was at least -6.5 in both eyes, my post-op shows me at less than -0.4 in both now, they said those numbers will only improve over the next two months as I fully heal. I was able to work and drive today, and I can see better now than I ever could by wearing contacts or glasses. I'm freaking out over how loving rad this is.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
You are making me so jealous and I feel like I should rearrange all my financial planning around when I can soonest get my eyes fixed.

I wanted you to know this, you lucky and beautiful person.

(An actual question for the thread: Do you think a clinic would be irritated if I came in for an assessment, but knew I didn't have the money to seriously consider the treatment for at least a few more years?)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Your regular eye doctor can make the call about whether or not you're a candidate for LASIK, just ask next time you go in for a regular exam and set up a time to get your corneas measured :)

I had my initial consultation in the fall last year but put off doing the actual surgery till this spring because I wanted to have a chance to sock away more flex dollars to pay for as much as I could tax free.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I had PRK last year so I can talk about that.
PRK is when you have the laser burn straight through your cornea instead of cutting a flap.
Post op I was laid out for about a week, it was quite painful but nothing too bad and I still get dry eyes sometimes.
Things I've learnt about it first hand:
You can't correct vision better than you can with glasses, anyones vision can probably be improved by putting a fine tuned lenses in front of it even people who can see fine.
There is a transition zone around the treated lens and the edge which creates a slight lens flare effect.
Things appear brighter, I imagine it's because there's less matter for the light to travel through. I believe my night time contrast may be worse.
The eye drops are very important
Wear eye shields at night until they tell you to stop.
There are some that have a life time insurance policy which will re correct your eyes if they readjust back to being wrong.

Was it the right choice at this point?
Yes defiantly.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Vavrek posted:

(An actual question for the thread: Do you think a clinic would be irritated if I came in for an assessment, but knew I didn't have the money to seriously consider the treatment for at least a few more years?)

I went to two different offices for an assessment before I settled on the one that performed my surgery. Neither one pressured me into setting up an appointment right away or asked me if I had any issue paying for it. Your experience may vary. They want you to choose their office over another. Several providers use the exact same laser, the only difference being the serial number on the machine and the technicians who load your automatically-obtained measurements into the computer.

My experience lasted less than forty five minutes, and I spent about fifteen of them underneath the machine itself.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Flannelette posted:

You can't correct vision better than you can with glasses, anyones vision can probably be improved by putting a fine tuned lenses in front of it even people who can see fine.

Is this true? I'm happy with lasik overall but assumed I'd get vision that was at least as good as my glasses, and it's not quite there yet after close to a month of healing. No one actually said this though, I just assumed by everyone else going wild about their results.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Flannelette posted:

I don't know what to tell you, man. I've been wearing glasses since I was five years old, and my vision is improved over what I would normally get with a fresh prescription. It's better than wearing a new pair of contacts, even.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I guess it depends on the prescription/eyes/type of eye error, mine corrected to about the same as my glasses but I imagine I could get a finely tuned lens to make it even better.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Maybe it's different for people whose vision isn't as terrible as mine used to be, but in my case at least, PRK turned out to be so much better than glasses or contacts ever were.

I was wearing glasses for severe astigmatism and myopia since I was in middle school (and honestly, should have had them earlier). These were coke bottle glasses, too. I was actually legally blind for at least high school on out (not that anyone ever told me until I looked into PRK). My surgeon got me to 20/20 in my right and 20/15 in my left. My nearsightedness and astigmatism are completely gone.

As for brightness, I always was sensitive to light, so I don't notice much difference now (though I was in agony without sunglasses the first few weeks).

I'm not sure what the lensflare effect is. Maybe another way of describing halos? I do have that issue, but two years after, it's nowhere near as pronounced and almost completely gone with my right eye. Hopefully it'll disappear or at least be hardly noticeable as time goes on.

Dry eyes are still sometimes an issue. Mostly during Ramadan, to be honest, since I'm not drinking water all day like I normally do.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Flannelette posted:

I guess it depends on the prescription/eyes/type of eye error, mine corrected to about the same as my glasses but I imagine I could get a finely tuned lens to make it even better.

Yea, it depends on a great many things and no two pairs of eyes are identical. "Vision" has many different meanings (not just acuity). Some see better with glasses and some see better with contacts for various reasons. Some have eye issues that cannot be fixed with surgery.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I had a consultation at the Harley Street branch of Optical Express. And they ran out of time for whatever reason and had to ask me to come back next Saturday, which sucks.

Has anyone else from the UK had their surgery in London and can recommend somewhere? Or even know how much I'm looking at to fix a -5 with a mild astigmatism prescription? I'm hoping to keep it at approx 2,000

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm booked in for a new procedure called SMILE RELEX which is flapless.
I'm -6 I think, in Australia $6200.

I went with these guys because this procedure is the newest I figured they'd have the best lasers :shrug:

Still not sure if I'm going to ask them to retain some of my near vision, apparently I will lose my excellent close up sight (like I do when wearing glasses)..

Anyone familiar with this SMILE system?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Just had LASIK performed last Thursday and as of my appointment this morning I've gone from 20/200 to 20/20. The difference is honestly more subtle than I thought it would be, like I have to think about the things I can see now that I couldn't before - oh, those are leaves instead of a big blob of green. Sometimes it's really dramatic though - I spent 15 minutes yesterday reading the chalkboard menu at a cafe not because I was having trouble deciding what to order but because I could.

The procedure itself was very uncomfortable, as was the night immediately afterwards but it wasn't painful and by the next morning I felt (and could see) great.

So far I'm very happy I did it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyone have any thoughts on things that are comfortable to wear to bed to keep me from accidentally rubbing my eyes in my sleep? I've been wearing sunglasses to bed and sleeping like poo poo. My doctor didn't seem to think wearing something to bed was necessary, but I'm paranoid.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

As long as you keep using your eye drops to prevent any itchiness you should be fine. My surgeon said the goggles were only really necessary for the first 24 hours or so. I only wore the goggles to bed the first night, they made it impossible to sleep and made my face sweat horribly. I never had any issues with rubbing my eyes in my sleep. The only rubbing issue I had was in the shower, I never realized how much I touched my face/eyes in the shower until I was consciously trying not to touch my eyes. However, I had years and years of conditioning not to rub my eyes directly for fear a contact would pop out, if you only ever wore glasses I'd be a little more proactive about keeping your hands out of your eyes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora-Capitah posted:

I'm booked in for a new procedure called SMILE RELEX which is flapless.
I'm -6 I think, in Australia $6200.

I went with these guys because this procedure is the newest I figured they'd have the best lasers :shrug:

Still not sure if I'm going to ask them to retain some of my near vision, apparently I will lose my excellent close up sight (like I do when wearing glasses)..

Anyone familiar with this SMILE system?

The videos showing off this system are amazing. Amazing.

Hope you don't have any problems with your eyeballs being 'handled'.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

VorpalFish posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on things that are comfortable to wear to bed to keep me from accidentally rubbing my eyes in my sleep? I've been wearing sunglasses to bed and sleeping like poo poo. My doctor didn't seem to think wearing something to bed was necessary, but I'm paranoid.

Several years ago I slept badly on my arm and caused some serious nerve damage that left two fingers in my hand numb. The cure was to stop bending my arm as much as possible to let the nerve recover, which in the end took about a year. Anyway, to stop me bending my arm in my sleep the doctor told me to wrap my arm up in a towel around the elbow so it was vaguely immobilised. Worked a treat, and was pretty comfortable.

However, I can't think how you'd do that to both arms so maybe I'm not really being helpful at all.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sri.Theo posted:

So I had a consultation at the Harley Street branch of Optical Express. And they ran out of time for whatever reason and had to ask me to come back next Saturday, which sucks.

Has anyone else from the UK had their surgery in London and can recommend somewhere? Or even know how much I'm looking at to fix a -5 with a mild astigmatism prescription? I'm hoping to keep it at approx 2,000

I had it done at that exact branch, and went for the LASEK. 4 months later, my eyesight is perfect, but my experience at that branch was not good. My surgery was delayed by over an hour because they got my financing wrong, and I felt I was really rushed afterwards. Plus, getting the bus anywhere from Oxford Circus is loving horrible especially as by the time I'd gotten out it was rush hour. The receptionists/other staff were not particularly accommodating, welcoming, or reassuring, and this is coming from someone who has worked at clinics and knows good patient customer service.

I wish I'd had mine done in Reading and convinced my parents who live in Berkshire to play taxi instead.

The consultation shouldn't be taking so long that they're running out of time. I had my consultation in Monument and it only took 30 minutes or so? Harley Street need to get their loving act together.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ibntumart posted:

Maybe it's different for people whose vision isn't as terrible as mine used to be, but in my case at least, PRK turned out to be so much better than glasses or contacts ever were.

I was wearing glasses for severe astigmatism and myopia since I was in middle school (and honestly, should have had them earlier). These were coke bottle glasses, too. I was actually legally blind for at least high school on out (not that anyone ever told me until I looked into PRK). My surgeon got me to 20/20 in my right and 20/15 in my left. My nearsightedness and astigmatism are completely gone.

As for brightness, I always was sensitive to light, so I don't notice much difference now (though I was in agony without sunglasses the first few weeks).

I'm not sure what the lensflare effect is. Maybe another way of describing halos? I do have that issue, but two years after, it's nowhere near as pronounced and almost completely gone with my right eye. Hopefully it'll disappear or at least be hardly noticeable as time goes on.

Dry eyes are still sometimes an issue. Mostly during Ramadan, to be honest, since I'm not drinking water all day like I normally do.

I had pretty atrocious vision and got basically no side effects from my PRK. Sitting at 20/15 in both eyes, though my right eye was always a little worse and might be 20/20.

My recovery seemed to be worse than average though, I was out for basically a month though and the night after my surgery was probably the most painful of my life. Literally I woke up that night and thought I was getting stabbed in the eye ball.

Totally worth it two years later.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I just had my two year checkup last week. My left eye's closer to 20/20 rather than 20/15 now, but I'm definitely not complaining! Also wasn't complaining too much about pain the first several days because I was hopped up on Valium and/or Vicodin quite a bit.

So I'm with you: so very, very worth it. It's made my wife think that maybe she should schedule a consultation within the next year or so.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
What is the general view of the lifetime guarantee offer? For the cost of $400, is it at all worth it? Has anyone here experienced using it?

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Ingenium posted:

What is the general view of the lifetime guarantee offer? For the cost of $400, is it at all worth it? Has anyone here experienced using it?
No lifetime guarantee can protect you from the many things that could rule out further surgery. If you got severe dry eyes for example they won't be able to retreat you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I paid for it, $300, seems like cheap insurance if I need an enhancement.

• Locked thread