Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That's it exactly, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Fat Samurai posted:

I remember playing a pretty old (90-something) PC turn based strategy game about dragons.

You played as one of several competing wizards that tried to find three fragments of a McGuffin, using dragons as your troops. Each turn, you could send a dragon to conquer territories, at which point the game turned to a SHMUP, the dragon fighting the realm's defences.

There was some alchemy and incubation of eggs going on, but I cant remember the details.

I distinctly remember the AI players losing the game on their own, at least in the easier settings.

The name, unsurprisingly, was Dragon Something (or Something Dragon)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-lord is this it yo

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Yes, thanks!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm having vivid flashbacks to an Amiga game that was about this spaceship stuck on a giant spiderweb. You would move along the strands, avoiding enormous space spiders or something. I remember the game having an overly long intro, and I was positive it was called "Arachnophobia", but clearly that's not the case.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Possibly just plain Phobia? It had a level select like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, the graphical style is similar, but it wasn't a shmup. You could move in any direction and the screen would scroll up and down as you moved along the web.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Hakkesshu posted:

No, the graphical style is similar, but it wasn't a shmup. You could move in any direction and the screen would scroll up and down as you moved along the web.

Punching likely words into lemonamiga: Web of Terror?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Prenton posted:

Punching likely words into lemonamiga: Web of Terror?

Yep, that's it, thanks. Boy, it looks awful! I remember the cover, though, which rules:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 3, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They look like a couple in bed who've just had an argument

"Cmonnn I'm sorry, I like your space gun. I think it's neat!"

*sniff* 'Y-you do? Really?'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is a top down PC RPG/adventure game that came out in the late 90s/early aughts. You play as a bumbling farm boy who discovers he's the chosen one after his abusive family is brutally murdered by the dark lord. The graphics are pre-rendered 3D like in Baldur's Gate and the gameplay is similar to Blood Omen or Zelda in its progression. It's kind of cheeky with a lot of RPG cliche jokes and I think one of the bosses is a vicious chicken that was a joke of the killer rabbit in Monty Python.

It might have been sold at one point but it was released as freeware and featured prominently in PC game rags. The title is probably the main character's name and it was goofy like Guybrush Threepwood.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

al-azad posted:

This is a top down PC RPG/adventure game that came out in the late 90s/early aughts. You play as a bumbling farm boy who discovers he's the chosen one after his abusive family is brutally murdered by the dark lord. The graphics are pre-rendered 3D like in Baldur's Gate and the gameplay is similar to Blood Omen or Zelda in its progression. It's kind of cheeky with a lot of RPG cliche jokes and I think one of the bosses is a vicious chicken that was a joke of the killer rabbit in Monty Python.

It might have been sold at one point but it was released as freeware and featured prominently in PC game rags. The title is probably the main character's name and it was goofy like Guybrush Threepwood.

Sounds like Dink Smallwood.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Sounds like Dink Smallwood.

Bingo.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm looking for a browser-based, goon-made video game music guessing game. It wasn't a flash game, and it would play a song, and you had to guess the song or a common nickname for the song. IIRC it was updated pretty frequently as well. I think the author also made some applications to help creating Let's Plays, but I could be mistaken.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm surprised I still can't find this on google over the years.

This was an early 90s DOS game I found in one of those "3000 games!" shareware discs. It was a 2d side-scroller with no sound and where you choose between 3 different types of balls (categorized by weight). The backstory is that the world is now ruled by these metal balls and they kill humans for sport. It was a puzzle-ish game where the goal was to kill all the humans on screen by rolling over them while navigating the level's hazards (fans, pits, etc). The game was very gory and had different animations for each type of ball. The small, lightweight ball would punch a hole right through the humans. The larger ball would simply crush them. The balls themselves would end up covered in blood and there was a dedicated button to wipe it off.

I'm fairly certain the game was called either "Balls of Death" or "Death Balls" but apparently no one else has ever heard of it. It was quite a novel idea, and even though it had no sound, the sprite graphics were very well done.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Bouchacha posted:

I'm surprised I still can't find this on google over the years.

This was an early 90s DOS game I found in one of those "3000 games!" shareware discs. It was a 2d side-scroller with no sound and where you choose between 3 different types of balls (categorized by weight). The backstory is that the world is now ruled by these metal balls and they kill humans for sport. It was a puzzle-ish game where the goal was to kill all the humans on screen by rolling over them while navigating the level's hazards (fans, pits, etc). The game was very gory and had different animations for each type of ball. The small, lightweight ball would punch a hole right through the humans. The larger ball would simply crush them. The balls themselves would end up covered in blood and there was a dedicated button to wipe it off.

I'm fairly certain the game was called either "Balls of Death" or "Death Balls" but apparently no one else has ever heard of it. It was quite a novel idea, and even though it had no sound, the sprite graphics were very well done.

Is it Deathball Incarnate?

dregan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 12, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

holy poo poo
How the hell did you find this?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

A year or two ago, I played the demo of some indie game that had a pretty cool concept. Not sure if it was ever released (probably not), but here's the basic gist.

It was a first person puzzle game, along the lines of a very stylized Myst - lots of white space punctuated with bright colors - where the object was to layer backgrounds on top of one another by rotating the screen to create new doorways or trip switches. For instance, you could rotate a door over the top of a silo and then enter the door to unlock a new area. I think I remember one puzzle having to do with a dragon float in a parade?

Is this ringing a bell for anyone? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cervixalot posted:

A year or two ago, I played the demo of some indie game that had a pretty cool concept. Not sure if it was ever released (probably not), but here's the basic gist.

It was a first person puzzle game, along the lines of a very stylized Myst - lots of white space punctuated with bright colors - where the object was to layer backgrounds on top of one another by rotating the screen to create new doorways or trip switches. For instance, you could rotate a door over the top of a silo and then enter the door to unlock a new area. I think I remember one puzzle having to do with a dragon float in a parade?

Is this ringing a bell for anyone? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

I don't know which game that is, but the shadow manipulation reminds me of the gameplay of Echochrome II for ps3. I think it uses the PSMove, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSzGCKj_5E

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Chinook posted:

I don't know which game that is, but the shadow manipulation reminds me of the gameplay of Echochrome II for ps3. I think it uses the PSMove, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSzGCKj_5E

Unfortunately, that's not it. Good thought, though. Thanks!

It was definitely a browser-based game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
God drat I know that game but I don't know the name too. :( I think it done by the same dude who did that one where it's first person and you have to walk around a maze and collect people's coffins in the right order and the entire level is the title screen text. Like you walk into it and the perspective shifts and you realize the letters are the maze.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is it Antichamber?

Edit: Crap, you said browser based.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
OK this is going to be a hard one.

I recently watched nidoking's lp of Toonstruck, thinking it was a certain adventure game. It was not the one I was thinking of.

In about the same time period (Windows 95 and Sierra were things) there was another cartoon themed adventure game. I had seen a trailer a few times, I think it was on a pc gamer demo disk or something.

The clearest image I remember is of a thin bald cartoon man in a yellow jumpsuit with a crazed expression (wide grin, crossed red eyes) pointing a gun at the viewer, at a dutch angle. I think it was some kind of glop gun???

I tried using mobygames gamebrowser a bit and couldn't find it, maybe some else knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I don't remember the thin bald man, but the only other cartoon-themed adventure game I remember from that era is Stay Tooned!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bouchacha posted:

I don't remember the thin bald man, but the only other cartoon-themed adventure game I remember from that era is Stay Tooned!

That rings bells so that's probably it, thanks so much

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There was an old FPS from the 90s, right around the time Bungie made Marathon and Pathways into Darkness. It was conspiracy storyline where you're a guy who gets a distress call from a lady friend who works in Washington DC, you fight through some secret service guys only to find her dead body, and one of the dead secret service guy's earpiece you hear them mention you and go "who are they gonna believe, the secret service or a crazy guy who just killed a bunch of people"

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

There was an old FPS from the 90s, right around the time Bungie made Marathon and Pathways into Darkness. It was conspiracy storyline where you're a guy who gets a distress call from a lady friend who works in Washington DC, you fight through some secret service guys only to find her dead body, and one of the dead secret service guy's earpiece you hear them mention you and go "who are they gonna believe, the secret service or a crazy guy who just killed a bunch of people"

Prime Target?

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 24, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yup

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

There was an old pc Spaceship simulator where I only remember that there was MULTIPLE Squads using the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Epsilon system and i remember one of the boss's being a Very Very long ship with multitude of turrets and fighters guarding it.. and you had to stop it before it got to warp and it was one of my favourite spaceship games going but i can't really remember any of it.. Because i played it like 14 years ago

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Zyntherius posted:

There was an old pc Spaceship simulator where I only remember that there was MULTIPLE Squads using the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Epsilon system and i remember one of the boss's being a Very Very long ship with multitude of turrets and fighters guarding it.. and you had to stop it before it got to warp and it was one of my favourite spaceship games going but i can't really remember any of it.. Because i played it like 14 years ago

Maybe Descent: Freespace?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zyntherius posted:

Descent: Freespace or Freespace 2?

If neither of those, maybe one of the X-Wing/TIE fighter games, which I believe used the same wing naming convention.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I believe X-Wing Alliance specifically had a squadron system like that and one or more missions where you had to stop a star destroyer from warping.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

Descent: Freespace or Freespace 2?

If neither of those, maybe one of the X-Wing/TIE fighter games, which I believe used the same wing naming convention.

You glorious bastards.. Thank you so god drat much

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zyntherius posted:

You glorious bastards.. Thank you so god drat much

If you grab Freespace 2, there's still an active mod community that has released graphics updates, voice recognition, head tracking support, and so on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shine posted:

If you grab Freespace 2, there's still an active mod community that has released graphics updates, voice recognition, head tracking support, and so on.

And have ported the original Freespace to run in the upgraded FS2Open engine, too.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm looking for a point-and-click horror adventure game. I don't remember much about it, but it was a download for PC. I recall the main character is a girl of some sort living in an apartment, her neighbor is an old psychic gypsy lady type, and the game's story line involves some kind of gathering of objects in order to summon something (a ghost of a long lost relative, maybe)? I remember one of the screens being a park/carnival area.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

I'm looking for a point-and-click horror adventure game. I don't remember much about it, but it was a download for PC. I recall the main character is a girl of some sort living in an apartment, her neighbor is an old psychic gypsy lady type, and the game's story line involves some kind of gathering of objects in order to summon something (a ghost of a long lost relative, maybe)? I remember one of the screens being a park/carnival area.

That's sounds a lot like Blackwell Legacy.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

That's sounds a lot like Blackwell Legacy.

This is exactly what this is! I'm a big sucker for urban fantasy games like this. Thanks!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

There are 5 games in the series, which just finished this year. Enjoy :)

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I can't find a freeware game I found interesting a few years back: a reasonably recent (as in: the last decade. Well, post 2000. Probably.) homebrew murder-mystery adventure game, deliberately done using Sierra's old (pre-SCUMM? SCI? AGI?) game engine, set in an oil refinery in the Antarctic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Prenton posted:

I can't find a freeware game I found interesting a few years back: a reasonably recent (as in: the last decade. Well, post 2000. Probably.) homebrew murder-mystery adventure game, deliberately done using Sierra's old (pre-SCUMM? SCI? AGI?) game engine, set in an oil refinery in the Antarctic.

Thinking this: http://home.deds.nl/~femo/projects.html#enclosure

• Locked thread