Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ames is trolling Reason quite entertainingly:

http://pando.com/2014/07/24/as-reasons-editor-defends-its-racist-history-heres-a-copy-of-its-holocaust-denial-special-issue/

quote:

“The German concentration camps weren’t health centers, but they appear to have been far smaller and much less lethal than the Russian ones.”

—Reason magazine, January 1976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemeaninDemon posted:

I wonder if GOP asshats like him and Ryan have booze chats like we do.

ufarn posted:

I think Boehner buys it by the gallon.

People need to pronounce it as "boner" more often. "Well, if it isn't that Republican Boner again!" That's probably what they do when they're shooting the poo poo and talking about booze.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People need to pronounce it as "boner" more often. "Well, if it isn't that Republican Boner again!" That's probably what they do when they're shooting the poo poo and talking about booze.

I took civics when he ascended to Majority Leader, and my teacher was a former Republican congressman and colleague of his. He would punish students for pronouncing it "boner."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVzmv0fGo8

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ames is a weirdo but I applaud his good work here.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i would like to say that i just got back from a brief trip to austin where i got very #turntup and interstate driving when exhausted is hard! thank goodness for 5 hour energy. how is eveyrone's weekend going so far? :)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/editors-note-an-apology-to-our-readers

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

I thought plagiarism was their business model?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No, their business model is to be so bland that it might as well be plagiarism, but without all the risks actual plagiarism raises.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I find it pretty surprising that The Blaze and BuzzFeed didn't have higher standards.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i personally browse buzzfeed for miracle-babies-to-warm-your-heart-today and i'm downright shocked that this post contained plagiarised miracle babies.

i'm really upset right now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm kinda shocked at the apparent amount of work they did compiling that list.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i just hope zipper stuck? you're in luck: 21 Emergency Makeshift Beauty And Wardrobe Hacks or 23 Cats Who Are Channeling Beyonce are pure unadulterated buzzfeed magic. i'm not sure i'd be fine - ethically speaking - with reading a plagiarised post about 29 Puntastic Jokes That Only Pinoys Will Understand.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dreylad posted:

they like lists

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thankfully, the BuzzFeed articles now link back to the original content on Yahoo! Answers, so I know where to go for higher-quality information.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dreylad posted:

500 Articles We Might Have Plagiarized!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

http://flavorwire.com/469305/plagiarism-explained-in-forrest-gump-gifs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

R. Mute posted:

they like lists

that's the one thing missing from Clickhole. that and comments.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We hired a former employee of Glenn Beck. What happened next will not actually surprise you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

3 Great Posts You Won't Believe I Came Up With In Response To This One Weird Editorial Apology:

i just hope zipper stuck? you're in luck: 21 Emergency Makeshift Beauty And Wardrobe Hacks or 23 Cats Who Are Channeling Beyonce are pure unadulterated buzzfeed magic. i'm not sure i'd be fine - ethically speaking - with reading a plagiarised post about 29 Puntastic Jokes That Only Pinoys Will Understand.

We hired a former employee of Glenn Beck. What happened next will not actually surprise you.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Discendo Vox posted:

3 Great Posts You Won't Believe I Came Up With In Response To This One Weird Editorial Apology:

This article sponsored by A Koch PAC.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
They actually fired him because he wasted all that time writing 459 pieces of original dreck, when he could have just copy-pasta'd, like, thousands in that time.

pause it lively
Aug 31, 2006

ignore.
So how's this experiment going so far you think

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
p good. No major complaints. Have you noticed a reduction in non-germane derails in other threads Xylo?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

quote:

And Ames's treatment of Russian teenage girls is documented with frightening glee. In the book he recounts one evening with an expat investment banker pal and what he thought were three 16-year-old girls:

"When I went back into the TV room, Andy pulled me aside with a worried grin on his face. 'Dude do you realize...do you know how old that Natasha is?' he said.

"'Sixteen?'

"'No! No, she's fif-teen. Fif-teen.' Right then my pervometer needle hit the red. I had to have her, even if she was homely."

After they do it, she tells him she has a three-month-old baby.

"It was hard to imagine that Natasha had squatted out a baby," Ames writes. "Her oval office was as tight as a cat's rear end....I'd slept with mothers before--they're a lot wider. Sex with them is like probing a straw in a mildew-lined German beer mug."

Later he learns that she's lying--she has no baby, but rather is four months pregnant. After she has an abortion, he writes about her in the Exile, suggesting that she be sterilized and awarded "one of those cheap trophy cups with the inscription 'World's Greatest Mom.'"

I actually tweeted this picture to him with the line "Does this make your pervometer needle hit the red?"... and ended up getting my account suspended.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The only thing more annoying than an inane list is an article patched together from animated image macros. gently caress Web 2.0! Bring back dialup!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Monkey Man posted:

I actually tweeted this picture to him with the line "Does this make your pervometer needle hit the red?"... and ended up getting my account suspended.

Nixon posted:

Jesus Christ.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wasn't the exchange quoted as:
HALDEMAN: Hot pants.
NIXON: Jesus Christ.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have no idea what the circumstances were, but Ames claims that the piece in question was satire. With that crew of Ames and Taibbi and so on in Russia at that time it's impossible to say. Even if it is satire it's not funny (even subject matter aside, it's not structurally funny at all), so I have no idea, but it's the first thing he gets hit with every time he does an attack piece and his response has been consistent.

EDIT: Sort of reminds me of Taibbi's famous death of the pope article. Also not at all funny. Not because I venerate the Pope for any reason, just because funny is funny wherever you find it and that article was just lame shock jock garbage.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 27, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone else become a big fan of clickhole?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

quote:

Know Your Rights! Things To Keep In Mind When Dealing With Police

We rely on the police to keep us safe, but let’s face it: We can’t always rely on them to tell us our full rights. Here are a few things to keep in mind during your next run-in with the law:

1. A police officer on a horse cannot arrest or fine you if you are also on a horse.

2. If you challenge a cop to a race, he legally has to race you. If you beat him, you are the cop.

3. If you’re eating a bag of pretzels and pass by a police officer, you’re not obligated to offer him one, although it certainly would be a nice thing to do.

4. If you forfeit your right to remain silent, make sure you say “off the record” before revealing anything incriminating.

5. If you get arrested, ask to sit in the front seat. You’re not a loving child and you deserve respect.

6. If you ask police officers if they’ve ever tried weed, they have to say “no,” but they can wink after saying it.

7. If a police officer asks to cut in while you’re dancing with a partner, it is legal for you to cut back in at the top of the next hour.

8. If you punch a cop, he gets to punch you back—but then you’re even.

9. If you see a cop whose uniform is all red, that means he’s evil and will help you with crimes! Make use of his expertise and long, sharp fingers.

10. If you’re stopped by a police officer, simply answer any questions truthfully and try not to remember that he could beat you to death with absolutely no consequences.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/know-your-rights-things-keep-mind-when-dealing-pol-616

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

I have no idea what the circumstances were, but Ames claims that the piece in question was satire. With that crew of Ames and Taibbi and so on in Russia at that time it's impossible to say. Even if it is satire it's not funny (even subject matter aside, it's not structurally funny at all), so I have no idea, but it's the first thing he gets hit with every time he does an attack piece and his response has been consistent.

EDIT: Sort of reminds me of Taibbi's famous death of the pope article. Also not at all funny. Not because I venerate the Pope for any reason, just because funny is funny wherever you find it and that article was just lame shock jock garbage.

Ames' piece wasn't satire. Part of his whole -- gimmick I guess -- is that in the period following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, everything became sort of unhinged. Things were wild, and real, because there weren't any rules and norms for a time. That's why he partied at the Hungry Duck, that's why he and Taibbi did ridiculous pranks, that's why they did all the drugs, that's why Ames hosed the 15 year old. I've read a lot of his writing and I genuinely come away with the sense that he thought he was living in a new frontier or something. And even the way he talked about coming back to the US initially, in addition to the poo poo with the Russian government there was a whole lot of "Russia is getting boring because the Duck is shut down, there's sushi bars and people acting respectable" etc. That story about the young girl may have been fictional but it wasn't satire.

I guess what the point of that dumb paragraph is that the satire defense is basically "I was taken out of context". Ames does good work sometimes, and the shady poo poo he has done or claims to have done in the past doesn't invalidate it. It also does not excuse it. Mark Ames!

e: clickhole owns also

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
John Dolan is the most interesting product of the Exile, especially now that the line between his actual self and his misanthropic alter ego is blurring more and more with each article he puts out.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i had barely started his memoir when i was like okay yeah dolan is brecher. i like dolan because we share an affinity for wallace stevens :3:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

apparently lowtax is reaping the benefits of democracy?

(link redirects to mayone.us which redirects to mayday.us)

this is the only forum ad i have ever clicked on.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Has mayday.us actually done anything yet, or did Lessig, Abramoff, Boyko, et al walk off with the money?

How long do PACs usually take to put money to use when they receive a windfall?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How much would it impact our democracy in America if senators could decide the way their successor was chosen? As in, on the day they were sworn, they had to submit a plan for choosing their successor and it could be anything they wanted. They could say "My office will be subject to an election in 6 years, where anyone in my state can vote regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity, who is 21 years of age or older" or they could say "I'm going to continue my office until I die, and my successor will be chosen by the Cat Fanciers Association of <big city> in <my state>." Senators would be allowed to change these plans at any time, but would have to submit something on the day they took office.

Obviously, plans for the future would become a big thing if there was an election for the seat, but I can't see how it would actually affect the political landscape.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

cheerfullydrab posted:

How much would it impact our democracy in America if senators could decide the way their successor was chosen? As in, on the day they were sworn, they had to submit a plan for choosing their successor and it could be anything they wanted. They could say "My office will be subject to an election in 6 years, where anyone in my state can vote regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity, who is 21 years of age or older" or they could say "I'm going to continue my office until I die, and my successor will be chosen by the Cat Fanciers Association of <big city> in <my state>." Senators would be allowed to change these plans at any time, but would have to submit something on the day they took office.

Obviously, plans for the future would become a big thing if there was an election for the seat, but I can't see how it would actually affect the political landscape.

I hold my office until I die and then my son/his son gets it.

Essentially similar to the status quo but without the veneer of respectability?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's what I'm saying would be possible. But here in the US we have that already, for example I'm watching the rising star of Delaware politico Beau Biden as we speak. We also have a lot of ways to complain and rabblerouse that aren't directly connected to the ballot box. I'm saying would having that privilege change our politics at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Interesting piece in NYT today about the shrinking foreign news bureau:

quote:

News systems are not designed for this. Reporters move like herds of sheep, flocking to the same places at the same times to tell us, more or less, the same stories. Foreign bureaus are closing. We are moving farther away.

News organizations tell us that immersive reporting is prohibitively expensive. But the money is there; it’s just often misallocated on expensive trips for correspondents. Even as I was struggling to justify costs for a new round of reporting in Congo, I watched teams of correspondents stay in $300-per-night hotels, spending in one night what I would in two months. And they missed the story.

Parachuting in with little context, and with a dozen other countries to cover, they stayed for the vote but left before the results were announced. A battle broke out in Kinshasa after they left, and I found myself hiding in an old margarine factory, relaying news to the world, including reports to this newspaper.

• Locked thread