Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Veotax posted:

Footage of the Platinum Korra game from Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

It looks easy, but the demo is probably on the 'I don't play character action games' setting.

I don't know if it's great or terrible that they turned Naga sections into endless runners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Su Yin's a traitor, but I don't think she has Korra's safety as her top priority when she sends him after Ai Weh. Note that when Ai Weh first brings up that it had to have been a mole, Su Yin shouts "Whoever betrayed my city will suffer the consequences!" She is taking Ai Weh's betrayal very personally, so much so that she's willing to put Korra at risk to get him back.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't think Su Yin's a traitor, but I don't think she has Korra's safety as her top priority when she sends him after Ai Weh. Note that when Ai Weh first brings up that it had to have been a mole, Su Yin shouts "Whoever betrayed my city will suffer the consequences!" She is taking Ai Weh's betrayal very personally, so much so that she's willing to put Korra at risk to get him back.

Before Su came knocking at night, I turned to my husband and said, "Sure, attract an elite group of bender-terrorists into a densely-populated city." Taking Korra back to Republic City is a poo poo idea for many reasons, that being one of them but -- gently caress it, that'd bring the plot to a grinding halt in a number of ways. Su's not wrong when she says her city was literally the safest place to be, mole not withstanding, but even if the RCPD is capable of fending off the crack team of season villains, I don't think any of us want to see that realty play out.

I think Su is certainly acting to bring Ai Weh to justice, but also acting because she recognizes that taking Korra to Republic City is a poo poo idea regardless. She's the cool kid who cut her teeth driving getaway cars -- she's not going to be a fan of taking the conservative approach. Launching the avatar headlong into a threat is pretty much how Su has operated in the past, given what the show has told us. Risk is worth it if the reward is on par, and in this case, it's not that bad of a bargain.

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't see how anyone in this show could possibly think Republic City would be safer than the futuristic Zao Fu. What nonsense.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

Veotax posted:

It looks easy, but the demo is probably on the 'I don't play character action games' setting.

the thumbnail looksl ike korra's about to start pelvic thrusting

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
i'm calling it that suyin is working with zaheer's gang, and if i'm right everyone has to suck my dick

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In Nick's defense, if I was an advertising executive for a children's network, there are more than a few episodes of Korra that I would just have no idea what to do with.
"This week, ON KORRA! Lin is ON SHAKY GROUND as BURIED FEELINGS about her half-sister SURFACE! And a certain BLIND EARTHBENDER is back, and she CAN'T SEE any way to protect her children without LOSING SIGHT of her career!"

"This week, ON KORRA! Tarrlok's past is FLOODING BACK, as he tells Korra and Mako what drove him off THE DEEP END! Will they forgive him for what a big SPLASH he caused? Or will they THROW HIM TO THE WOLVES?! *shot of wolves being tortured with bloodbending*"

lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Did someone catch the name of the Red Lotus members from the beginning? I don't think they've been mentioned before then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Did someone catch the name of the Red Lotus members from the beginning? I don't think they've been mentioned before then.

They've all been mentioned at one time or another, either with them talking to each other or other people yelling (X) has escaped or whatever. Not so straight up though.

It's Zaheer, Ming-Hua, P'li and Ghazan

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Preview clip from the next episode. Korra does the thing. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Veotax posted:

It'll probably be like Metal Gear Rising where hard is the actual normal difficulty you;d expect from a Platinum game.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That was great. Goofy Korra expressions are always welcome.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nickelodeon says that the plan is for new episodes to go live online Fridays at 12pm EST.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Veotax posted:

It just occurred to me that the Avatar state will be this game's equivalent to Devil Trigger/Ripper Mode and for some reason that's hilarious to me. :allears:

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
in season 4 korra is arrested for rape

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
I bet Bolin picks up sand bending rather then metal bending. We haven't seen sandbenders in a long while.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Or the metal bending will kick in at a crucial moment like the air bending did for Korra.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
how come waterbending, earthbending, and firebending all have some kind of specialized alternate technique but airbending doesn't. i mean bloodbending, metalbending, and lightning bending respectively

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

raspy trashfucker posted:

how come waterbending, earthbending, and firebending all have some kind of specialized alternate technique but airbending doesn't. i mean bloodbending, metalbending, and lightning bending respectively

Probably because basically all the airbenders were dead while all those other alternate forms were being invented.

Well, maybe lightning-bending existed already.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think Airbending's thing is "Astral Projection". Kind of fitting it'd be the least "offensive" of the special-type bendings.

Also-- Poor Zhu Li. She works so hard. :smith:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

i'm calling it that suyin is working with zaheer's gang, and if i'm right everyone has to suck my dick

can I use my anus instead?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Nickelodeon says that the plan is for new episodes to go live online Fridays at 12pm EST.

Seems legit so far, last night's episode is already up. Which is good, given I forgot to watch it last night. I kind of hope they go back to doing two a week from here, though. If only because I'm impatient.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm pretty sure the astral projection thing is that. Jinora said that it was combination of high level airbending and some spiritual power, so the implication there is that only an airbender could do it. It makes sense: airbending isn't really offensive by nature so having a specialized form devoted to offense wouldn't make much sense, and the air nomad culture as a whole is all about spirituality and detaching oneself from the world. So being able to detach your own spirit from your body would be the logical culmination.

Also it's not like there aren't other inconsistencies between the elements. Why can firebenders just generate fire when everybody else needs to have some of their element around to bend? Why is waterbending the only art lacking an animal precursor and instead derived from a celestial body? It's not exactly a level field all around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Veotax posted:

Man, Republic city needs to work on it's pot hole problem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Also it's not like there aren't other inconsistencies between the elements. Why can firebenders just generate fire when everybody else needs to have some of their element around to bend? Why is waterbending the only art lacking an animal precursor and instead derived from a celestial body? It's not exactly a level field all around.

Because the atmosphere has oxygen in it. Similarly, high-level waterbenders can pull moisture from the air.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Man, Republic city needs to work on it's pot hole problem.

The game's set between S2 and S3. A spirit did it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Because the atmosphere has oxygen in it.

Yeah, but what's burning? Oxygen is a strong reducing agent, which is why it's so combustible with other materials, but what is being oxidized?

I know, I know, "Don't think about it, it's chi magic stuff". Still, it just sort of demonstrates that that sort of nitpick is irrelevant.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but what's burning? Oxygen is a strong reducing agent, which is why it's so combustible with other materials, but what is being oxidized?

I know, I know, "Don't think about it, it's chi magic stuff". Still, it just sort of demonstrates that that sort of nitpick is irrelevant.

Turns out, chi is highly flammable. Who knew?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I think Airbending's thing is "Astral Projection". Kind of fitting it'd be the least "offensive" of the special-type bendings.

Also-- Poor Zhu Li. She works so hard. :smith:

Sydin posted:

I'm pretty sure the astral projection thing is that. Jinora said that it was combination of high level airbending and some spiritual power, so the implication there is that only an airbender could do it. It makes sense: airbending isn't really offensive by nature so having a specialized form devoted to offense wouldn't make much sense, and the air nomad culture as a whole is all about spirituality and detaching oneself from the world. So being able to detach your own spirit from your body would be the logical culmination.

Yeah, I agree that it's probably this but also didn't Zaheer mention a Guru who worked out how to constantly levitate himself for his entire life or something? Flat-out flight would be a possibility. Personally though I think Air is broken enough to not need a higher form of bending and there's not really anywhere I can see for it to progress to anyway.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, I agree that it's probably this but also didn't Zaheer mention a Guru who worked out how to constantly levitate himself for his entire life or something? Flat-out flight would be a possibility. Personally though I think Air is broken enough to not need a higher form of bending and there's not really anywhere I can see for it to progress to anyway.

I actually think that the Guru Lahima story is a reference to the astral projection ability. The words Zaheer reads from Lahima's locket are: "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void - empty - and become wind." Sounds like a fairly accurate depiction.

But yeah, I'm with you that air is pretty broken. Its practitioners aren't generally offensive in nature, but we've seen through people like avatar state Aang and Zaheer that it can be downright devastating if you're on an all out attack.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Sydin posted:

But yeah, I'm with you that air is pretty broken. Its practitioners aren't generally offensive in nature, but we've seen through people like avatar state Aang and Zaheer that it can be downright devastating if you're on an all out attack.

If this show went all HBO, Air would have all sorts of explosive decompression or pulling oxygen out of people. Hell, I like the show's more kid friendly atmosphere and martial arts because it grounds everything nicely. Otherwise, Benders would literally be lethality incarnate no matter the element.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Airbenders could probably stormbend, too. I'd imagine if a practiced airbender knew how thunderstorms are formed, they could mimic it with airbending.

I wonder how an airbender would fare against a hurricane or tornado. (Aside from the unexplained one in The Swamp... although Aang didn't fare well against it. I doubt they'd have much chance of doing anything against a hurricane, even working in large groups.)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Am I the only one who honestly thinks the game looks kind of ugly? It's mostly the bending; the fire looks kind of meh, and I'm not a fan of the weird coloration they give Korra to show what style she's using. There's gotta be a better way to convey that visually.

Crazy Ferret posted:

If this show went all HBO, Air would have all sorts of explosive decompression or pulling oxygen out of people. Hell, I like the show's more kid friendly atmosphere and martial arts because it grounds everything nicely. Otherwise, Benders would literally be lethality incarnate no matter the element.

One thing I've always appreciated about bending is that it requires movement. So even if the show was willing to go there, you couldn't necessarily just explode someone; you'd have to find the specific set of movements necessary to seize the air in their body and expand it, all while dodging whatever they are chucking at you. It's a nice bit of in-universe balancing and a major part of what annoyed me about Amon. A 'psychic' bender could be an awe-inspiring villain, but they pretty much gave us the lamest form of it imaginable. Imagine something like a psychic earthbender who could animate an army of literal terracotta warriors, or give himself earthen armor and a bunch of extra fists so he is basically this guy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The first three episodes are on Hulu, although they mislabeled them as "Season Two"

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Spergatory posted:

One thing I've always appreciated about bending is that it requires movement. So even if the show was willing to go there, you couldn't necessarily just explode someone; you'd have to find the specific set of movements necessary to seize the air in their body and expand it, all while dodging whatever they are chucking at you. It's a nice bit of in-universe balancing and a major part of what annoyed me about Amon. A 'psychic' bender could be an awe-inspiring villain, but they pretty much gave us the lamest form of it imaginable. Imagine something like a psychic earthbender who could animate an army of literal terracotta warriors, or give himself earthen armor and a bunch of extra fists so he is basically this guy.

Agreed to some extent. There is still things like Azula's rocket boots or Iroh's fire-breath that seem more D&D than Martial Arts, but I'm more than capable of overlooking those for the sake of a cool scene or good effect. I like my Martial Arts moving to be a bit more fantastical to begin with so there that as well. At first, I was a bit leery of the new Waterbending villain not having arms till someone in the thread mentioned Phantom Limb possibly being the cause, and I thought that was neato. The idea of the character bending water based on the feeling of her missing limbs is very cool.

I will defend Amon's bending though. I agree that his plot arc is lacking and I really wanted more with the Equalists as that's very interesting to me but his "moves" so to speak were consistent with what we saw. He is usually palm down, fingers clenched, marionette controlling-esque we saw from the first avatar series. I do not pretend to know martial art fighting styles, but I always felt his moves were consistent with what we saw of waterbending, or at least using water as a cutting tool and how to "hold it". When he was bloodbending, he was as if he was keeping the blood/water from flowing as if it was ice-slush. Ugh, the sound that happens when is blood-bending those wolves still bugs me. I don't think he was psychic, or at least any further than of the show just hand waving "The villain can now bloodbend during the day because...", but thats cartoons/anime being cartoons/anime for ya.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised we've not seen a Earth Bender make a simulacra to fight along/with. Aang kind of does it where he makes Earth Armor for himself and than rushes the Aang shaped armor out towards his opponent but that's it really.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I like that the super-rare Firebending is actually just called Combustionbending. It also sounded like Lavabending isn't entirely unheard of either. I'm curious if water arms is unique, or like the others something that has been done in-universe before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I like that the super-rare Firebending is actually just called Combustionbending. It also sounded like Lavabending isn't entirely unheard of either. I'm curious if water arms is unique, or like the others something that has been done in-universe before.

Well, multiple water-benders have done the Water-Arms thing. Katara did it for example. Just never without the actual arms.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised we've not seen a Earth Bender make a simulacra to fight along/with. Aang kind of does it where he makes Earth Armor for himself and than rushes the Aang shaped armor out towards his opponent but that's it really.

Toph THE MELON LORD! kind of had these, but they were styled to just be like training dummies.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
True, but I don't remember them being able to keep them "always on" like she does. I do like the phantom limbs explanation, I'd just be curious if she's the only amputee bender that does it.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

thexerox123 posted:

Toph THE MELON LORD! kind of had these, but they were styled to just be like training dummies.

Man, I'd totally forgotten this scene. I really should do a big re-watch though the Original series some day soon. Thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

thexerox123 posted:

Man this gif's loop is goddamn Sisyphean. Sokka and Suki are going to fight the Melon Lord's minions forever.

• Locked thread