Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

Are fountain pens at risk of leaking just by being on an airplane during flight or is it only if you try and use them?

Just debating if it's worth emptying my pen and taking some ink in a sample bottle to fill it with when I land or if I can just leave it filled.

Fill it completely and you'll be fine. It's the air bubble that pushes ink out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Solkanar512 posted:

Fill it completely and you'll be fine. It's the air bubble that pushes ink out.

Yep! Either have it empty or completely full. Last time I flew, I had three pens completely filled and stored nib-up in my bag; not a single drop spilled. I only used them briefly, less than a page all together, and two of them puked everywhere on the return flight.

Store them in a zip-lock bag that's rolled tight on itself just to be sure. :v:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Sticking pens in an empty soda bottle works well in my experience. I've never had any leaks, even when the pen wasn't quite full.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Store them nib up and it'll be fine.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Soricidus posted:

Sticking pens in an empty soda bottle works well in my experience. I've never had any leaks, even when the pen wasn't quite full.

This. It stabilizes the pressure. Or get a vacuum pen and be free!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kim jong-illin posted:

Are fountain pens at risk of leaking just by being on an airplane during flight or is it only if you try and use them?

Just debating if it's worth emptying my pen and taking some ink in a sample bottle to fill it with when I land or if I can just leave it filled.

The pressure differential may cause it, but YMMV.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anybody needs a cheap pen that holds an assload of ink, convert a Sheaffer No Nonsense to eyedropper. I filled mine in September and finally used it all up today and had to refill. It holds something like 3ml and has a screw-on cap (if you get an older one, not sure about the quality or build of the newer ones so YMMV on those). I didn't use it daily but did write with it at least once a week and never had any problems with the nib drying out thanks to the tight seal on the cap. Mine is one of the calligraphy ones so it also has a nice fat italic nib that really gushes ink and it was nice to have the capacity to keep up with it.

There was actually a little ink left but it had reached the point of being too empty and was starting to have the ink burp out when my hand warmed it up so I figured it was time to top it up; I wonder if I can write for most of another year on it without a refill.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2022

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Any of you guys have any luck with the refillable highlighters? I do a lot of highlighting at work and it seems a wiser choice than constantly buying Staples highlighters.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Honestly the only refillable highlighters I've seen are platinum preppies and the pentel retractable once. The preppies are more conventional in that they use an actual cartridge (or if you're truly insane you can convert them to eyedropper) and the pentel ones you replace the inside core if that makes sense.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

Any of you guys have any luck with the refillable highlighters? I do a lot of highlighting at work and it seems a wiser choice than constantly buying Staples highlighters.

You might want to check out brush pens, which I've seen used with highlighter inks. Noodler's Konrad brush pens use a piston-fill mechanism.

The problem with them is that you have to buy replacement brushes/felt tips. It'll probably be cheaper than constantly buying normal highlighters though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Didn't Pelikan have a highlighter version of the M2xx? I'm pretty sure it was basically a demo with a BB tip or something silly. But working off that, couldn't you just use something with a larger italic point and highlighter ink to highlight? I mean, I'm not sure I'd trust it over something I'd written with a non-waterproof ink, but for highlighting books or something that ought to be fine, right?

Actually, here:

I used a C1 nib (~4mm) and Noodler's Dostoevski, since my copy is appallingly light. It worked out alright, but I'm reasonably certain both things I highlighted were bulletproof to some extent, and they were very certainly dry. Highlighting something that's not quite dry'll just leave a mess, but I doubt that'll be an issue for you.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I was looking at combining these

http://www.gouletpens.com/Yellow_Platinum_Preppy_Highlighter_Pen_p/plat-cscq-150-30.htm

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Firefly_Ink_3oz_p/n19170.htm

With a converter.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Get the Pelikan highlighter ink and put it in a clean pen with a stub/italic/very broad nib.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
So something that's constantly concerning me is the question of pressure; i.e. how much is good/bad/necessary? I notice with my fine nibs I can just fly across the page leaving a very thin line, but with a bit more pressure (not enough to flex a nib or anything, but actually just solidly touching pen to paper) I can get a thicker, wetter line. What's right? what's wrong? Can I hurt my nibs?

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

So something that's constantly concerning me is the question of pressure; i.e. how much is good/bad/necessary? I notice with my fine nibs I can just fly across the page leaving a very thin line, but with a bit more pressure (not enough to flex a nib or anything, but actually just solidly touching pen to paper) I can get a thicker, wetter line. What's right? what's wrong? Can I hurt my nibs?

That's flexing the nib. Certain nibs are designed to flex; others not too much. You can damage nibs which aren't designed to flex if you put too much pressure on them. That said, you can even coax some line variation out of the "nail" steel nibs from Lamy.

Just be careful and don't spring your nib. I've sprung the nib on my Namiki Falcon which is actually designed to flex because I was going a little over the top.
Not a good idea.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Generally you only want to use enough pressure to just keep the nib on the paper.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
A Pilot Parallel makes for a good highlighter, if a little large.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

Fountain pens are meant to be used with a light hand, so don't consciously press unless you know why you're doing it. That said, most modern pens have stiff nibs because they're built under the assumption that people will press down like they're using a cheap biro so the nibs don't break all the time.

If you want to press down on nibs without damaging them: Buy a couple of cheap dip pens. Use them and flex them, and eventually break them. You will know to avoid doing the same when flexing an expensive fountain pen nib.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

blowfish posted:

Fountain pens are meant to be used with a light hand, so don't consciously press unless you know why you're doing it. That said, most modern pens have stiff nibs because they're built under the assumption that people will press down like they're using a cheap biro so the nibs don't break all the time.

If you want to press down on nibs without damaging them: Buy a couple of cheap dip pens. Use them and flex them, and eventually break them. You will know to avoid doing the same when flexing an expensive fountain pen nib.

Yeah, I totally know about flexing nibs and stuff (I've got a falcon for niftier writing), but my question was more about having the pen feel like it's touching paper (and getting a small bit of tooth), vs. feeling like you're not touching paper and are just close enough to apply ink.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Not enough pics. Here's the daily drivers I'm using today.

A Lamy Al-Star and two nicer pens inside a markiaro case.

Two Omas 360s. One actual vintage full size in black and rhodium (I'm assuming it's rhodium), and one Omas 360 Vintage Limited in the ruthenium trim.

Both nibs write spectacularly, and are quite soft. If you couldn't tell, I actually really like the triangular shape of the 360. It's very comfortable to hold, and for such a large pen it's very light as well.

The ruthenium trimmed one is a demonstrator, but the effect is very subtle. Currently I've got noodler's black in it. No other black comes close to it's pitch black colour. It's pretty good in terms of lubrication as well. Being bulletproof is also a bonus. Much easier than the sailor nano black to deal with in terms of cleaning as well, with no risk of nano particles clogging the ebonite feed.

The old school one has sailor jentle blue black in it. It's a poor man's Iroshizuku shin-kai. Apparently the ink has water resistant properties but gently caress if I know for sure.

The lamy has got Waterman south sea blue in it. Very nice colour, but not really suitable for anything that will be seen by anyone else.

What's everyone else here using?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

Yeah, I totally know about flexing nibs and stuff (I've got a falcon for niftier writing), but my question was more about having the pen feel like it's touching paper (and getting a small bit of tooth), vs. feeling like you're not touching paper and are just close enough to apply ink.

Ah, sorry.
I don't consciously put pressure on any normal modern nib when writing since it's not necessary.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I dunno if anybody still gives a poo poo but the nice affordable Pilot Metropolitan is on sale at Massdrop (free signup required) as a two-pack for 24.99 + tax, free ground shipping to the US. You get a choice of fine or medium nib and get to pick from the old selection line of black/silver/gold with matte band. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did with my Metro when I moved, so now's a good time to double down (and get that fine tip too).

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Popped to see my dad today, and he said that he'd been recently to The Pen Museum in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter (UK). He had a good time, bought me an old Waterman's (sic) ink bottle, and a few nibs that he'd pressed himself.

That's a fat italic!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

aldantefax posted:

I dunno if anybody still gives a poo poo but the nice affordable Pilot Metropolitan is on sale at Massdrop (free signup required) as a two-pack for 24.99 + tax, free ground shipping to the US. You get a choice of fine or medium nib and get to pick from the old selection line of black/silver/gold with matte band. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did with my Metro when I moved, so now's a good time to double down (and get that fine tip too).

We need to get the F model in Europe. All I can find are Ms.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blowfish posted:

We need to get the F model in Europe. All I can find are Ms.

As a victim of the Metro M tip, that poo poo is like a paintbrush.

I need to find a F nib replacement, or an EF.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

You must have minuscule handwriting. The Metro M Nib isn't really that broad.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Loucks posted:

You must have minuscule handwriting. The Metro M Nib isn't really that broad.

There's one thing to be said for ballpoints, and it's that "medium" is actually a line width usable for note taking.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I get along fine with a medium metro. I do want a fine one out of sheer nerdish acquisitiveness, but a medium pilot nib suits me fine. I must have a larger hand.

Also I've found myself trying to snipe Snorkels on eBay. Fountain pens are weird, and I want the weirdest of all.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Loucks posted:

I get along fine with a medium metro. I do want a fine one out of sheer nerdish acquisitiveness, but a medium pilot nib suits me fine. I must have a larger hand.

Also I've found myself trying to snipe Snorkels on eBay. Fountain pens are weird, and I want the weirdest of all.

Or you might have a hand without excessive flourishes so it doesn't become ugly and illegible from overlapping lines.
Snorkels are cool and it's a shame they're not made anymore. They're pretty much the ballpoint age low effort fountain pen.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Massdrop today is Rhodia notebooks
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/rhodia-notebooks

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I kinda want to buy a set because at regular price webnotebooks are expensive but I've never joined a Massdrop before.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Got some neat pens today from His Nibs. The store is very Web 0.1 (you email the owner to order) but up to date and navigable. Customer service is top notch and the site has an interesting selection of pens from some lesser known and Chinese brands. Owner Norman Haase examines the nib of each pen sold to ensure quality.

I wanted one of the Duke M12 "Heart Clip" pens and had emailed Norman back in February to see if he had any idea when they would be back in stock. July 30th he got a new shipment and sold out almost immediately, but he set one aside and emailed me to see if I still wanted it! So I bought that and one of the Dollar demonstrators.

Opened the box to find a fancily folded note sealed with a neat wax seal

so I peeled the seal off and opened it

The Duke pen comes in a fancy book-like box.

Inside the pen lies in a nice bed of white velvet, fancy!

It's a very slim pen, the barrel being not much thicker than a standard Bic ballpoint at its thickest point, and can only use the converter that comes with it. The piston is actuated by directly sliding it rather than having a twist mechanism. There's a clear ball inside for an agitator.

The grip is knurled metal and the nib has the Duke logo on it. It writes pretty smooth and the line is maybe a touch thicker than the Pilot M nib, somewhere between a western fine and medium.

Thought the underside of the feed looked neat. I hadn't seen one that was smooth like that before.

Dollar is a Pakistani company that sells a lot of pens in Asia. I haven't seen their products anywhere else but the demonstrator version of the 717i is cute so I went for it. It's a piston filler with the twist mechanism under a cap on the end of the pen. The grip, feed, logo on the end of the cap, and the piston screw are burgundy while everything else is clear. Comes in black or blue variants too.

Company name on the clip

Logo on the pen cap (a dollar sign, of course!)

Nib is inscribed Iridium Point under another dollar sign. Writes on the fine side, maybe a touch on the scratchy side compared to a Pilot F.

Even the feed is burgundy.

And my normally terrible handwriting is even worse due to holding the notebook in the air instead of putting it down on the desk.

I'm totally in love with the Duke. Its both gorgeous and writes nice and smooth. Its very slim but has a satisfying weight and the cap posts securely on the back.

The Dollar is interesting, its very light but supposedly tough. The ink capacity seems pretty large but I haven't measured it. I like the aesthetics of the clear pen with colored accents, especially with a matching ink in the barrel.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

About to do some international travel soon, and I'm kind of tempted to pick up a Vac 700 even though I feel like I have enough pens, which already includes three other TWSBIs :ohdear:

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

404notfound posted:

About to do some international travel soon, and I'm kind of tempted to pick up a Vac 700 even though I feel like I have enough pens, which already includes three other TWSBIs :ohdear:

VAC700 is an amazing pen. It also holds an astounding amount of ink. I highly recommend it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

laertes22 posted:

VAC700 is an amazing pen. It also holds an astounding amount of ink. I highly recommend it.

I used to cycle my pens for work, but now I pretty much just use the Vac700. Part of this is due to its capacity, but it really is just a nice pen all around. I did ink up my Lami and Metro last night for some project notebooks I started up at home, freakin' Metro continues to impress.

Also discovered that I had forgotten there was ink in the Scheaffer and it leaked in the pen chest...so there's a big dark green splotch in one of the slots now :(

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm thinking of getting another pen, something with a finer nib and more ink capacity (or an easier refill mechanism) than the Metro. I've seen the TWSBI Diamond 580 and Vac700 lauded in this thread several times, and they seem to be just what I'm looking for. They're in the same price range ($70 vs $65). Which one should I get?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any recommendations for a dark brown ink that's waterproof? Noodler's is out because I'll have to import it from the US with the long wait and additional customs fees that comes with any purchase from the US.

I really like Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri but it's not waterproof, which causes me problems at work.

e: feel free to recommend a relevant Noodler's ink anyway just for reference for the next time I order some stuff from Goulet Pens.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Solumin posted:

I'm thinking of getting another pen, something with a finer nib and more ink capacity (or an easier refill mechanism) than the Metro. I've seen the TWSBI Diamond 580 and Vac700 lauded in this thread several times, and they seem to be just what I'm looking for. They're in the same price range ($70 vs $65). Which one should I get?
I think the 580 should only be $50 unless you're looking at the fancy one with gold trim.

The 700 is slightly larger, holds a little more ink, and doesn't need special precautions to avoid leaks on planes. The 580 is smaller, cheaper, and doesn't need the end to be unscrewed slightly whenever you want to write. Honestly there's not much in it. If nothing above sounds important to you then you might as well just pick whichever you think looks nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

laertes22 posted:

I got a dude to modify the feed and put an Eversharp nib in my VAC 700 for the gold flex nib. Wonderful pen, but sometimes can take awhile to start up (not necessarily a hard starter, just takes awhile for feed saturation).