Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
On the subject of Microsoft test books, if you're ordering from microsftpressstore.com make sure that you use one of these discount codes:

Save 40% off print books + FREE U.S. Shipping with discount code MPNMEMBER
Save 50% off eBooks with discount code MPNEBOOK

Full price is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Check the cert section of the Cisco site. You get a digital copy of the CCNET, I for some reason you feel you need it.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

mythicknight posted:

Just passed ICND2. Some of those sims at that low res are ridiculous. Glad its out of the way though. Wonder how long it'll take for me to get it in the mail. Still haven't gotten any CCENT stuff when I passed it last month. Maybe I'll just print it out this time...

And now I'm wondering what to do next. Relax, enjoy my victory for a while, or hop right back into the books for another cert. Probably either ITIL Foundation or CCNA Voice since my place is gonna splurge on cisco voip in the near future.

Also STP is witchcraft.

I just took ICND1 a few weeks ago, and the setup the testing center had was annoying. It was basically a flat table made of glass, and the monitor was set underneath the table at an angle, facing up at you. Made it annoying to see, for me at least.

Anyways, any advice for someone who is gonna take ICND-2 here in a few weeks?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone actually gone from MCSA in 2012 to MCSE: Server Infrastructure? I'm toying with the idea, but I'll be honest, the content is so Hyper-V heavy that it seems like it's not worth doing unless I'm trying to :yotj:, which I'm not (for once in my career). It seems like it's there only to have the MCSE title, but the content seems less than relevant since I've got my VCP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MJP posted:

Has anyone actually gone from MCSA in 2012 to MCSE: Server Infrastructure? I'm toying with the idea, but I'll be honest, the content is so Hyper-V heavy that it seems like it's not worth doing unless I'm trying to :yotj:, which I'm not (for once in my career). It seems like it's there only to have the MCSE title, but the content seems less than relevant since I've got my VCP.

I was toying with the idea as long as my work pays for it. I can't get excited about anything 2012 at the moment and the servers I deploy with it just function like 2008 r2 with a weird UI.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

high six posted:

I just took ICND1 a few weeks ago, and the setup the testing center had was annoying. It was basically a flat table made of glass, and the monitor was set underneath the table at an angle, facing up at you. Made it annoying to see, for me at least.

Anyways, any advice for someone who is gonna take ICND-2 here in a few weeks?

Know your show commands, especially for ospf/eigrp/frame relay. Practice mapping out STP. Yell at the test for being 800x600.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

mythicknight posted:

Know your show commands, especially for ospf/eigrp/frame relay. Practice mapping out STP. Yell at the test for being 800x600.

Nothing fits on the drat screen.

Also yeah, I took the CCNA but with show you get pretty much everything you need. Don't worry about syntax, "?" works, worry about the theoretical knowledge.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Digitalpope posted:

Well, that's the VMware vSphere course paid for with Stanley...now to wait on the rather ambiguous 'a few days before' instructor email telling me when they're happening...now to start playing with the Scott Lowe books between here and there. Many thanks to you guys for pointing out stanley's program at a very reasonable price....cert my way into my own :yotj:

I ended up accepting this class (opposed to the company offered bootcamp, to avoid being committed for a year). Looks like we will be in the same course.

I grabbed the required textbook, at first it seemed cheap until they charged a $20 shipping cost to it.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Is MCSA 2008 still worth going for or should I just do 2012 instead?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mythicknight posted:

At this point it doesn't matter unless you want to work for a Microsoft Partner.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I ended up accepting this class (opposed to the company offered bootcamp, to avoid being committed for a year). Looks like we will be in the same course.

I grabbed the required textbook, at first it seemed cheap until they charged a $20 shipping cost to it.

Return it if you can. You wont need it at all. But the Scott Lowe book http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141 instead.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

mythicknight posted:

Practice mapping out STP.

How would you suggest someone that only has access to the Netacad courses and Packet Tracer for practice?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Sickening posted:

At this point it doesn't matter unless you want to work for a Microsoft Partner.

In an attempt to land a network engineering job at a service provider, would CCNA + RHCSA be the recommended course?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

How would you suggest someone that only has access to the Netacad courses and Packet Tracer for practice?

Packet Tracer is actually perfect for this because it has switches with a simulated IOS CLI, something even GNS3 doesn't have. Pause Packet Tracker, set up a switch topology that includes a loop (start with a basic triangle), mess with the STP priority settings on the switches, draw the topology (including priority/MACs) on paper, and see if you can work out which ports will end up blocking. When you think you've got it, hit play on PT, and see if you got it right.

Start with simple loops (like, say, a triangle), and work your way up to more complex ones- including topologies with non-equal cost paths.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks for the info. Sounds like one of those things where you just try throwing in a bunch of switches and try to predict based on the info, after enough times you will get it, sort of thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yep. In addition to the actual STP rules, remember how you can see the port roles in the CLI, and definitely remember (aka: memorize) the STP path costs. Maybe not all of them, but you should know that a GigabitEthernet path costs 4, and a FastEthernet (100 mbit/sec) path costs 19.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Return it if you can. You wont need it at all. But the Scott Lowe book http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141 instead.

poo poo. I'll see if I can cancel it.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Is there any real hope for a person getting a CAPM certificate (http://www.pmi.org/en/Certification/Certified-Associate-in-Project-Management-CAPM.aspx) who has no experience in project management? I'm happy starting at the bottom, but would this even get me in at the bottom?

thegrimace
Feb 24, 2011
So I have been wanting to round out my skills and move up to an administrator role. As such I have decided to go after the following certifications, and was wondering if anyone has any others they would recommend getting, or if I should skip any of these.

Ccnet
Ccna
Mcsa
Rhcsa
Vca
Vcp

Thanks for any input.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

thegrimace posted:

So I have been wanting to round out my skills and move up to an administrator role. As such I have decided to go after the following certifications, and was wondering if anyone has any others they would recommend getting, or if I should skip any of these.

Ccnet
Ccna
Mcsa
Rhcsa
Vca
Vcp

Thanks for any input.

VCA is still a new cert and I don't know how far it'll take you. If you're in a position to get your VCP, skip the VCA unless you can get a great deal on the test.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I was going cisco and mcsa route. However my job is so networking heavy and we do not administer the servers that I'm just going to focus on cisco stuff. My two senior coworkers let their MCSEs expire. One of them and even a different coworker are on a CCIE path. I'll be done with school in November so I'll have a BS and network certs from Cisco on my track.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
MCSA or CCNA?

Which is more worthwhile to obtain?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Race Realists posted:

MCSA or CCNA?

What are you going to be doing? That's like asking "what's better, a tractor or dune buggy?"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
^ A dune buggy, my god you're terrible at analogies.

The network is slow and the servers are slow. Pick one of these problems to fix and get that certificate.

Also yes, never get the VCA. A certificate is worth the knowledge you gain (none) and the respect it demands (none). Also, I wouldn't get the MCSA and the RHCSA, I'd much rather focus the time potentially spend on one to reach engineer level on the other.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 26, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm going to start off as helldesk, then preferably move up to network administrator/technician

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Talking about the "value" of two certifications in separate career fields is kind of a waste. Strictly speaking, certifications are more of a barrier to entry in the networking arena, so earning a CCNA will possibly open up many doors that were closed before if you're trying to do that track. And while I'd prefer that every sysadmin knew about basic networking so as to avoid the "here be dragons" mentality that is so pervasive, if you're interested in doing Windows server stuff then you'd most certainly be better served focusing on the MCSA first.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

^ A dune buggy, my god you're terrible at analogies.

It's been a long day. A long week. It's bad when your DB outages are reported by news outlets.

And agreed. The VCA is "I know enough to pitch virtualization to my company on VMware's behalf."

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Having the VCA can be beneficial in so far as when it comes up in the interview, use it as an example of your honest character and explain that it's really just an overview of VMware products written by their marketing team.

This is assuming of course that honesty is considered a valuable trait in the organisation you're interviewing for. If not, then you can practise fitting in by telling them it was a valuable experience and not a complete waste of the Sunday afternoon it took to obtain it.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Is the official ciscopress book solid for learning/taking the CCNA Voice? Some of the reviews say it's missing some things so I'm not sure..

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mythicknight posted:

I'd get 2k8. It's a solid learning experience to get in, and most really big industries are only now finally phasing out 2k3 actively rather than just not doing server builds on it.

It's one exam to upgrade to 2k12 later. While tough if you aren't really, really immersed in 2k12 in your home lab (because it's probably a safe bet that there's no such thing as a pure 2012 shop outside of the Redmond metro area) it is doable to do the upgrade.

By the time you're ready to upgrade there'll be better R2 prep materials than just the MS Press book.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

MCSA or CCNA?

Doesn't loving matter, what do you like more? networking or systems ops?

thegrimace posted:

Ccnet
Ccna
Mcsa
Rhcsa
Vca
Vcp

Thanks for any input.

VCA is a morale boost and only good if you are helpdesk for a VDI/VMware environment.

What field are you looking to go into?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 27, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Race Realists posted:

MCSA or CCNA?

I'd say the CCNA.

Totally anecdotal, the CCNA is general seen as more difficult, more in-demand compared to the MCSA.

That said, if you don't enjoy networking you're going to hate your very life. It sounds like you're just starting out in IT, you should be picking something that you enjoy and while not necessarily fun but something that you could see yourself working with on a daily basis.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'd say the CCNA.

Totally anecdotal, the CCNA is general seen as more difficult, more in-demand compared to the MCSA.

That said, if you don't enjoy networking you're going to hate your very life. It sounds like you're just starting out in IT, you should be picking something that you enjoy and while not necessarily fun but something that you could see yourself working with on a daily basis.

I am sorry but no, the CCNA is not harder than the MCSA.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Sickening posted:

He said seen as, not is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

Uhh...

I think you if you actually read my post you'll see that I explicitly stated "Totally, anecdotal" and it's "generally[sic] seen as more difficult".

But go on and just tell me how I'm wrong because :rolleyes:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Uhh...

I think you if you actually read my post you'll see that I explicitly stated "Totally, anecdotal" and it's "generally[sic] seen as more difficult".

But go on and just tell me how I'm wrong because :rolleyes:

:ohdear: I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I apologize.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

:ohdear: I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I apologize.
You can make it up to him by telling me the best way to play Warcraft on public servers for free if I just want to putz around once in a while. A monthly subscription is so committal, I just want to nostalgia run Molten Core once in a while.

Slagwag
Oct 27, 2010

"I am not a nugget!"
So I was reading through this thread over a year ago and have been working in IT for quite some time. For whatever reason I figured, hey if a Goon can get some of these certs so can I. (No offense, or maybe yea some offense).

Since then I ended up snagging:
74-409, 70-325, 70-680, 70-681, and today I took my 70-410. First exam for my MCSA 2012. I also started a new gig and everything is going smoothly.

I just wanted to post on the thread to point out that it has been completely worth it for me. I've already had plenty of hands on and knew Server 2012 inside and out before getting into the test material ... only I really didn't. The biggest benefit for me has been learning about a lot of things I don't touch on a day-to-day basis. For Server 2012, some of the new features of SMB, Storage Spaces, Memory in Hyper-V.. etc.

It is definitely valuable to get into and does begin to get addicting when your other coworkers just want to collect that paycheck.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There is a lot of neat tech in windows that you'll spend years fully deploying everything (DirectAccess I see you). Hell even mastering the new basic powershell commands is going to be a feat unto itself.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
I'm looking into testing for my CCNA 6 months or so down the line as my actual networking knowledge is not strong and had some quick questions on online courses and if I'm getting ahead of my self.

Does anyone have any experience with this site/course?

https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/

I just jumped from our desktop team to our information security team and was going to start with CCNA and then look into certs more centered around security, does that sound like a logical path to those of you who have done something similar? I have read that S+ is a good starting point but comparing CCNA/S+ books they both seem to cover the same things with S+ obviously not being as wide ranging as CCNA so it seems kind of redundant trying for S+ then CCNA. Is that correct thinking?

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 28, 2014