Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Rinkles posted:

If it doesn't use the stack (which I'm aware of), then shouldn't the opposite also hold: you can't unmorph in response to a shock?

You have priority after a Shock, so you have a chance to unmorph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

If it doesn't use the stack (which I'm aware of), then shouldn't the opposite also hold: you can't unmorph in response to a shock?

No, it basically happens at the speed of a mana ability, I believe.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Technically speaking, unmorphing a card is a 'special action' like playing a land (although it doesn't have the timing restrictions that playing a land does).

Archenteron posted:

Convoke used to be a cost reductor instead of a mana ability, so they miiiight change this for conveniences' sake.

I doubt it. The convoke change doesn't make a difference outside of a few cases, but this would make all creatures with morph significantly worse.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

ungulateman posted:

Then Lee wins by Snapcasting with a graveyard that has no Lightning Bolt? :psyduck:

Haha, did her opponent just snap concede assuming she was naming Lightnig Bolt without bothering to check if it was there (or waiting for her to name it)?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How does morph respond to split second?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Gensuki posted:

How does morph respond to split second?

Just like a mana ability. You can respond to split second with morph just fine.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Guessing that the keywords might relate to their dragon aspect:

Mardu - Speed - Since this is aggro, maybe Base/Power Toughness matters? Something that helps weenies, punishes fatties.

A revised form of Flanking or Bushido would be my guess? Those both represent some kind of in-combat superiority based on agility.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

No, it basically happens at the speed of a mana ability, I believe.

I read something once--I think it was by a judge or something--that pointed out that talking about the 'speed' at which different things happen is misleading, since there aren't different speeds in the sense that gets tossed around a lot, just differences in when you can play things, when players get priority, when costs get paid, whether or not something uses the stack (this last one is probably the closest to 'speed' in a proper sense).

In many cases speed is a harmless shorthand, but for example one bit of wisdom that I've heard tossed around on the proverbial playground is 'nothing is faster than a sacrifice,' which while true in the frequent sense of paying costs for a spell or ability can (and did) mislead people into thinking that upkeep sacrifice abilities couldn't be responded to.

I'm being :spergin: here but I think it's important to keep in mind what's actually being talked about when it comes to operations like this, precisely because it helps avoid confusions on interactions with things like morph.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's an example of mis-morphing costing a "heavy favorite" a place in the top 8.

Bad Play of the Week: Mishap in Mainz

"Last weekend, German Nationals was held in Mainz, Germany. The tournament brought out all of the old-guard German pros, such as Frank Adler and Peer Kroger. However, after 11 grueling rounds, Kai Budde was primed for another Top 8. Not only was he the returning champion, but he was the heavy favorite. With only two rounds left, there was little doubt in anyone's mind that the German Juggernaut was going to retain his throne, and continue his conquest of America. In game 3 of Round 11, Andre Muller scooped up his cards in defeat. Kai went through the motions, the handshake, the signing of the match slip, and the obligatory revealing of the morphs. Kai revealed his Daru Sanctifier, the only problem was that it was a Whipgrass Entangler! Unfortunately for Kai, (and very fortunately for the U.S. team), at some point in the game he had misplayed. Kai received a game loss, and missed Top 8. The United Arab Emirates are early favorites to take home the title in Berlin."

ancient magic article

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Wow, Clerics used to look cool.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The return of Morph makes me hopeful that we will finally get a limited format full of on board tricks again, although I know they have been shying away from that in design for years.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

The return of Morph makes me hopeful that we will finally get a limited format full of on board tricks again, although I know they have been shying away from that in design for years.

There's quite a few in M15...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Holy poo poo this is the worst coverage I have ever seen. Wizards should literally fire everyone involved with their coverage and replace them with diseased hobos, because it would be an improvement.

We start off with video that looks like it's being shot through a dirty screen door, late 90's quality overlay, and STILL NO loving ROUND TIMER.

We cut away from Twin mirror to Pod mirror because the match "was unwatchable" according to the commentators.

Then a Pod player plays Melira and they debate whether it was a good play because, while it turns off his opponent's Gavony Township, it turns off his own Scavenging Ooze.

I'm done with WotC's coverage for pretty much forever.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Toshimo posted:

Then a Pod player plays Melira and they debate whether it was a good play because, while it turns off his opponent's Gavony Township, it turns off his own Scavenging Ooze.

Are you loving kidding me?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Holy poo poo this is the worst coverage I have ever seen. Wizards should literally fire everyone involved with their coverage and replace them with diseased hobos, because it would be an improvement.

We start off with video that looks like it's being shot through a dirty screen door, late 90's quality overlay, and STILL NO loving ROUND TIMER.

We cut away from Twin mirror to Pod mirror because the match "was unwatchable" according to the commentators.

I'm done with WotC's coverage for pretty much forever.

SCG has been running Standard all day, is that of any help to calm your ire?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gensuki posted:

Wow, Clerics used to look cool.

The armor they're wearing is, IIRC, a sort of improvised armor woven out of reeds and stuff using basketwork. I remember that at the time it was the source of some mockery from certain parts of the fanbase, although to be fair there were cards where it looked stupider than it did on those.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oraculum Animi posted:

SCG has been running Standard all day, is that of any help to calm your ire?

The mono black devotion vs jund midrange/walkers match that just ended was good. The threat of a lethal Liliana ultimate won g1 for the jund player.

Sep 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

The mono black devotion vs jund midrange/walkers match that just ended was good. The threat of a lethal Liliana ultimate won g1 for the jund player.

Are they going to be showing Modern tomorrow or their usual Legacy coverage?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Onslaught is the best block and the block I started playing in.

Those old clerics were awesome looking, go onslaught. go morph. Bring back onslaught

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I read something once--I think it was by a judge or something--that pointed out that talking about the 'speed' at which different things happen is misleading, since there aren't different speeds in the sense that gets tossed around a lot, just differences in when you can play things, when players get priority, when costs get paid, whether or not something uses the stack (this last one is probably the closest to 'speed' in a proper sense).

In many cases speed is a harmless shorthand, but for example one bit of wisdom that I've heard tossed around on the proverbial playground is 'nothing is faster than a sacrifice,' which while true in the frequent sense of paying costs for a spell or ability can (and did) mislead people into thinking that upkeep sacrifice abilities couldn't be responded to.

I'm being :spergin: here but I think it's important to keep in mind what's actually being talked about when it comes to operations like this, precisely because it helps avoid confusions on interactions with things like morph.

That's fair; I was actually aware of the rules implications, but I was using the lazy shorthand to try to describe what is going on, even though it's not entirely accurate.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I hope some company decides to print sleeves that act as proper Morph creatures. Something like this (which I threw together in a card maker last year):

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Archenteron posted:

Second from the left. That makes two birdmen. Avens are back, baby, oh yeah :parrot:

gently caress that, Aurochs are back.

Sep 13, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

I hope some company decides to print sleeves that act as proper Morph creatures. Something like this (which I threw together in a card maker last year):

What company allows you to print sleeves? What kind of sleeves do you use? Is there a link you can post?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

gently caress that, Aurochs are back.

Are there actually going to be Aurochs people because if so :vince: best block all years

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

What company allows you to print sleeves? What kind of sleeves do you use? Is there a link you can post?

I haven't actually gotten this printed, I just threw the image together. No clue what company makes custom sleeves.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

JerryLee posted:

Are there actually going to be Aurochs people because if so :vince: best block all years

Not Auroch people, but

Looks pretty Auroch to me. Just 1 new Auroch card and I'll be happy.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Niton posted:

A revised form of Flanking or Bushido would be my guess? Those both represent some kind of in-combat superiority based on agility.

I always viewed Bushido as "stepping it up against a strong opponent", but some form of evasion could definitely be true. Not flanking per se, because they should all be new, but at least as functionally different as Devotion is from Chroma.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Niton posted:

RAMPAGE :getin:

Tardigrade posted:

I want to see how they do Temur's RUG flavor. So far the spoiled art looks like straight-up RG, not seeing the Blue side (yet, at least).
I hope it's something shaman related.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I want to see how they do Temur's RUG flavor. So far the spoiled art looks like straight-up RG, not seeing the Blue side (yet, at least).

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Niton posted:

Amarou Kithkin effect.

Tardigrade posted:

The art you're seeing is before each subject's wing unfurrrrrllllll! :angel:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

No joke, this is the ability I want returned more than any other.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

No joke, this is the ability I want returned more than any other.

Rampage is never coming back, we might get neo-rampage again though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Elyv posted:

Rampage is never coming back, we might get neo-rampage again though.

Bushido is essentially rampage light, since it only triggers once but works on blocking. I like rampage better because it made you think about double blocking creatures, especially the bigger numbers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

Bushido is essentially rampage light, since it only triggers once but works on blocking. I like rampage better because it made you think about double blocking creatures, especially the bigger numbers.

When I said neo-rampage, I was referring to cards like Rabid Wolverines.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Elyv posted:

When I said neo-rampage, I was referring to cards like Rabid Wolverines.

I didn't even know that card existed. Huh.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

BeefSupreme posted:

Question to any of you Modern players out there:

Any decks that are fun, playable, and semi-competitive for around $50 or $75? It would be the sort of thing that I could upgrade over time, but I'm looking for something I could build and play for cheap. I do have access to some of the non-basic lands crucial to multicolored decks, which could keep costs down.
A little bit late to this, but I've been running this at modern night at my LGS and I've already won more store credit than the deck is worth.
Assuming you have 20 Forests, you can pick all of the maindeck off tcgplayer for under $60 and you can knock about $25 off the price by dropping the Wilt-Leaf Liege and Thrun and trading them for Dungrove Elders. It's not gonna take down a GP or Pro Tour anytime soon, but it's got at least adequate game against most decks in the format.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

I didn't even know that card existed. Huh.

It's an ability that they don't really use anymore, there were some others as well but the only cards I remember offhand having the ability are Rabid Wolverines and Elvish Berserker.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Going back to the poo poo done by players who are conceding at comp REL, if anyone reaches over and starts flipping my library over or anything like that, prior to conceding, my hand's going up, and I'm shouting 'Judge!'. I'll let someone handle my cards to read it, if they ask first, and haven't just been eating messy food, but this is my side of the table, that's yours, and pro player or not, my main rule is 'seriously, don't be a dick.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Does an unmorphed creature count as a different creature for purposes of spells that target? I.E.: If I unmorph in response to a shock, does shock fizzle due to no legal targets?

I can't imagine it counts as a creature entering the battlefield.

• Locked thread