Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On a separate note, I noticed that Joseph doesn't Ripple the flesh bud in the manga after the Lovers leaves his brain.

Which is probably why I was wondering why Joseph didn't just do that from the beginning when I saw it in the anime. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On a separate note, I noticed that Joseph doesn't Ripple the flesh bud in the manga after the Lovers leaves his brain.

Which is probably why I was wondering why Joseph didn't just do that from the beginning when I saw it in the anime. :v:

Because he still had a Stand in his brain that is capable of killing him regardless?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Which brings up the question that if The Lovers was just manipulating Joseph's brain to cause him pain, why didn't the drat thing just pull some strings to stop his heart, or something similarly instant-killing?

Heck, it's JoJo, we all know the answer is cus the badguy was so confident that he instead chose to just mess around instead of cutting to the chase.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Which brings up the question that if The Lovers was just manipulating Joseph's brain to cause him pain, why didn't the drat thing just pull some strings to stop his heart, or something similarly instant-killing?

Heck, it's JoJo, we all know the answer is cus the badguy was so confident that he instead chose to just mess around instead of cutting to the chase.

Yeah, Steely Dan is another fine example of JoJo villains with really broken powers who are held back from their full potential due to their own arrogance and/or stupidity.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Presumably despite being able to control Lovers inside the brain one of the Stand's rules is that he can't hurt the person whose brain it's in directly except by mirroring his own injuries. It's not explicitly stated (as far as I remember anyway) but it's either that or Steely Dan being stupid.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Presumably despite being able to control Lovers inside the brain one of the Stand's rules is that he can't hurt the person whose brain it's in directly except by mirroring his own injuries. It's not explicitly stated (as far as I remember anyway) but it's either that or Steely Dan being stupid.

He can still kill the victim by harming himself.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

Jotaro is the coolest when it comes to punching dudes, but I like Kakyoin's random travel tips, Polnareff having toilet troubles, and Joseph saying OH MY GOD more thus far. Though Jotaro has had some nice one-liners throughout.

According to Araki, the reason Jotaro is so silent is because he's always trying to come up with new one-liners. :allears: That's how the edits on the previous page were born.

Star Platinum fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 26, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like how Steely Dan was naive enough to think Jotaro wasn't just gonna pummel them both to death if Joseph died.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
If Joseph died, Dan's remains would have fit in a matchbox. I wonder if Jotaro would fire off a cheesy one liner in such dire circumstances.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pomp posted:

I like how Steely Dan was naive enough to think Jotaro wasn't just gonna pummel them both to death if Joseph died.

I know, right? He was pretty much screwed no matter how you looked at it.

Steely Dan did make a pretty smart move targeting the only guy who could've destroyed the flesh bud first, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pomp posted:

Yeah that was the worst plan. "I'm going to have the guy with the physically strongest stand follow me around until his grandfather dies, keeping him from harming me by inflicting that onto grandfather. This plan doesn't have an expiration date at all."

Steely Dan was such a moron :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that was the worst plan. "I'm going to have the guy with the physically strongest stand follow me around until his grandfather dies, keeping him from harming me by inflicting that onto grandfather. This plan doesn't have an expiration date at all."

Steely Dan was such a moron :allears:

I think his plan was to sneak it into Jotaro's brain after killing Joseph, since Jotaro was too far away to know when Joseph died. Still not a great plan due to Star Platinum's precision.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, he was an idiot, but it's not quite as bad as you think. He says right at the beginning that as soon as Joseph dies the stand will jump to Jotaro and infect him instead; all he really did was underestimate Star Platinum's speed and accuracy.

(e:f,b)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If Joseph died, it'd still be a major blow to the Crusaders, and a big advantage for DIO. This would also make Steely Dan Dan of Steel one of the most competent adversaries yet. Of course, the only other competent villain so far is Hol Horse, so that's not really saying much. And even if Kakyoin and Polnareff were off'd, Jotaro could probably punch his way over to DIO through the sheer force of getting pissed off.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

If kirito doesn't voice Steely Dan in the dub, I'll quit right there.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I just binged this whole series over the last couple days so I missed the dub, is it lurking around anywhere still?

personally DIO's voice in my head is Tim Curry.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
DIO is voiced by the dude that does dracula in the pretty-recent-but-pre-lords-of-shadow castlevania games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU

trigger warning, symphony of the night w/ new not hilarious voices

e: actually dio sounds better then this dracula does, because he isn't talking though that wierd castlevania voice filter

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Jotaro is expressionless most of the time, so it's hard to figure out what's going on in his head, unless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Nki0dUHQ

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Silver2195 posted:

I think his plan was to sneak it into Jotaro's brain after killing Joseph, since Jotaro was too far away to know when Joseph died. Still not a great plan due to Star Platinum's precision.

I personally wouldn't bet on Jotaro's sense of self-preservation keeping him from kicking my rear end, but hey :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Everything I hear about the manga makes me think Araki just forgot that hamon existed, so it's nice that the anime crew remembers that Joseph can just bust out his Solar Hero Style any time he needs to.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Having Joseph overdrive his own head is kinda weird and raises questions like "Why couldn't he do that with Lovers in there?" and "Why did Joseph say he couldn't do anything for Kakyoin when he had a bud in him?" Otherwise, I'd just assume Kakyoin and Polnareff destroyed it or pulled it out with their stands off-camera.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

Having Joseph overdrive his own head is kinda weird and raises questions like "Why couldn't he do that with Lovers in there?" and "Why did Joseph say he couldn't do anything for Kakyoin when he had a bud in him?" Otherwise, I'd just assume Kakyoin and Polnareff destroyed it or pulled it out with their stands off-camera.

Kakyoin's bud was in his forehead and driving a spike deep into his brain that would've thrashed around the second Joseph messed with it. I guess the reason he couldn't do anything with lovers in there was that if he tried then lovers would just gently caress him up right then and there because it'd cause pain to lovers maybe and then back to dan and then back to lovers and then to Joseph or something, I'm not sure.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

Maybe if he tried that with Kakyoin, the flesh bud would freak out and turn his brain to mush. Whereas Joseph can channel the Ripple through his entire body. But really, doesn't seem like this flesh bud works the same way as the others did, because it did not mind control either Joseph or Enyaba, it just tries to kill people horribly.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
This is Joestars we're talking about here; Joseph probably overdrives his head for fun on Saturday nights. But who knows what it would have done to Kakyoin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Everything I hear about the manga makes me think Araki just forgot that hamon existed

Nah, the manga has Joseph use it a few times. The thing is that Araki actually didn't mention what happened to the flesh bud in Joseph's head in the manga. Presumably the Stands destroyed it offscreen.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I could imagine that Lovers could maybe intensify the the pain of sending the ripple directly through your own brain meat as an explanation of why he didn't just start with doing it.

EDIT: No wait scratch that, it only ever gives Joseph major pain when Dan gets hit. I got no good explanation. Aside from that though, Dan would still have Joseph basically held hostage flesh bud or not, and so long as he kept calling the shots and separating them he could have still been a threat 'till he got caught slippin'.

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 27, 2014

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I think it's because the flesh bud was wedged inside Joseph's head and only when they defeated Lovers, they could trim the flesh bud's appendages so that it wouldn't trash about during overdrive.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Joseph really didn't even need to use an overdrive, just breathing in the ripple rhythm should've been enough to destroy something as small as the flesh bud. but that's really just a small thing so it doesn't really matter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Joseph really didn't even need to use an overdrive, just breathing in the ripple rhythm should've been enough to destroy something as small as the flesh bud. but that's really just a small thing so it doesn't really matter.

Joseph hasn't used the Ripple in about fifty years, so he probably doesn't remember the subtleties of it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The better question is why is there a dancefloor and stage lights in Joseph's brain?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

The better question is why is there a dancefloor and stage lights in Joseph's brain?
I believe that's one of Dan's Stand abilities. His "Star Finger", if you will.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

amuayse posted:

Hamon

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

amuayse posted:

Play Psychonauts

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

amuayse posted:

He's a Jojo. True fabulousness comes from within.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Did this ever get brought up when Part 3 started? You can see a lil split second teaser of Hermit Purple in the Part 2 OP right at 9 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHUi90ouqmU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Meme Emulator posted:

Did this ever get brought up when Part 3 started? You can see a lil split second teaser of Hermit Purple in the Part 2 OP right at 9 seconds

That just reminds me how much I enjoyed P2. P3 has been enjoyable enough sure, but so far it still feels a bit lacklustre and there's rarely that sense of an overwhelming threat part 2 had ad its hard to take the bad guys seriously or even care about them, when they just keep getting toppled so quickly.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shanakin posted:

That just reminds me how much I enjoyed P2. P3 has been enjoyable enough sure, but so far it still feels a bit lacklustre and there's rarely that sense of an overwhelming threat part 2 had ad its hard to take the bad guys seriously or even care about them, when they just keep getting toppled so quickly.

Part 3 is very much monster of the week, so that feeling isnt gonna change.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I'm not seeing it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Stop the video at 0:11-0:12 and look in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It's kinda hard to top the impact of part 2, I seriously went HOLY poo poo when I first saw this opening.

• Locked thread