Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
PvP is still a thing, regardless of everything else.

But yeah, it seems like they went a little heavy on the lighting spell nerfs, hopefully they'll balance them back up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
They hosed up the balance for pretty much everything from the get go and they're trying to fix it incrementally which means it's still hosed up but the way it's hosed up keeps changing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

They hosed up the balance for pretty much everything from the get go and they're trying to fix it incrementally which means it's still hosed up but the way it's hosed up keeps changing.

From seems to balance the game as if it was just PvP rather than primarily PvE. As it is, they should be erring on the side of too much damage rather than too little, in my opinion.

Although, :darksouls:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That is true. I still would have liked for him to have dropped his own soul because that makes sense.

edit: I mean it's not literally his soul because I guess he doesn't really have one, but an Ancient Dragon soul.

Well, again, the point of him NOT dropping an Ancient Dragon Soul is to reveal that he isn't actually an Ancient Dragon, or a non-ancient dragon. It would really defeat the purpose of the lore twist if he did, it was deliberate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just the cast reduction would have been fine, I think. Though maybe 6-4-2 for them would have been a better alternative to 3-3-2. Really no reason to use the base version of the miracle at all as it is.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Well, again, the point of him NOT dropping an Ancient Dragon Soul is to reveal that he isn't actually an Ancient Dragon, or a non-ancient dragon. It would really defeat the purpose of the lore twist if he did, it was deliberate.
The point, though, is that killing the Ancient Dragon right now just gives you a pile of souls and bragging rights. CJacobs was mildly disappointed that there wasn't at least some additional reward, such as a corresponding boss soul (Aldia is one likely party here) or a fancy weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just the cast reduction would have been fine, I think. Though maybe 6-4-2 for them would have been a better alternative to 3-3-2. Really no reason to use the base version of the miracle at all as it is.

I think the number of casts they have now would be fine if they didn't get what is effectively a nerf. Faith magic is more about support than full on offense, so you;re offensive options should only be able to be used sparingly.

Speaking of changes in the patch, Mace of the Insolent received a significant boost to its dark damage. I've been using it lately and buffed with Dark Weapon it's pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beado-r6M0w

How is the quality on this video btw?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Inspector_666 posted:

From seems to balance the game as if it was just PvP rather than primarily PvE. As it is, they should be erring on the side of too much damage rather than too little, in my opinion.

Fixing PVE balance is a lot more complicated though because you have to redo the AI of everything that has a back of its left leg.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Genocyber posted:

I think the number of casts they have now would be fine if they didn't get what is effectively a nerf. Faith magic is more about support than full on offense, so you;re offensive options should only be able to be used sparingly.

Speaking of changes in the patch, Mace of the Insolent received a significant boost to its dark damage. I've been using it lately and buffed with Dark Weapon it's pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beado-r6M0w

How is the quality on this video btw?

All I could think of during that video was 'Jump attack! Jump attack now!'

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure what the point of balancing PvE is because the entire point it seems is "this is hard? There's a easier path, numbnuts." I think it's as pointless as balancing Dynasty Warriors, things are going to die because most enemies go strike,strike, big opening (stab me).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Of course there's a point to balancing PvE. Like, what?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think the issue he has with balancing PVE is that stuff balanced for PVE tends to not be balanced for PVP.

They are two different ballgames, as they say.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Was magic nerfed as well or is it just that all the DLC dudes resist it? I stopped playing for a while so I can't remember my sweet numbers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
DLC dudes are pretty much resistant to elements.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't started the DLC but will I be in for a poo poo time if my guy is 40 Faith and his main weapon is Lightning Defender sword?

My other weapon is a lightning Heide sword :v: I've never had a reason to not make everything lightning.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Just bring something pure physical as a backup. Hell, bring an uninfused mace if you're boring.
I haven't really used Lightning in the DLC yet but the overal elemental resistance seems to be higher.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My Solaire dude did pretty well with his Throne Defender sword but I haven't fought any bosses yet with him. My Lightning Bow of Want wrecked dudes pretty well too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't started the DLC but will I be in for a poo poo time if my guy is 40 Faith and his main weapon is Lightning Defender sword?

My other weapon is a lightning Heide sword :v: I've never had a reason to not make everything lightning.

I did fine with a Dragonslayer Spear throughout the DLC. It was actually better than my quality halberd in most cases.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Haven't picked the game in a while, prob 4 months or so, any big changes? I heard people complaining heavy armor got nerfed?

Inspector_666 posted:

yeah, breaking games is fun, balanced tends to waver the fine line of strategic and boring

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess I really shouldn't bring around GLS/Sunlight Spears anymore huh? I have a ton of points in faith to power Lightning weapons and get Sunlight Spear, but if lightning element is so bad now maybe I should respec. Although I was still doing good damage with my lightning weapons, like my +10 Grand Lance, that was probably more they're physical attack being good than anything else.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You'd probably get more mileage out of lightning crossbow bolts from an Avelyn overall as far as lighting themed ranged attacks go. Not as visually satisfying but what are ya gonna do.

Sunlight Blade is still worth using too

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
After extensive research I have discovered one thing: I am terrible at research and need help with my Blue Flame(s) again. I'm mostly using them to buff one another and dual wield into combat, with stuff such as Soul Spear and Soul Greatsword used for distance combat or to throw PVP opponents off balance. Both my weapons are currently Raw and I have 40 Intelligence...am I better off enchanting them with magic, or what?

The stats screen show that both magic and physical attack take a huge hit if I enchant magic, but scaling goes slightly up. I have no clue what the end result would be and all the stuff I've found just confuses me further with math and calculations and :psyboom:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

After extensive research I have discovered one thing: I am terrible at research and need help with my Blue Flame(s) again. I'm mostly using them to buff one another and dual wield into combat, with stuff such as Soul Spear and Soul Greatsword used for distance combat or to throw PVP opponents off balance. Both my weapons are currently Raw and I have 40 Intelligence...am I better off enchanting them with magic, or what?

The stats screen show that both magic and physical attack take a huge hit if I enchant magic, but scaling goes slightly up. I have no clue what the end result would be and all the stuff I've found just confuses me further with math and calculations and :psyboom:

A good rule of thumb is to always enchant any weapon that already has a natural element.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Infuse your Blue Flames with Magic, then cast Great Magic Weapon/ Crystal Magic Weapon on themselves. The magic damage is the power of the catalyst, so by making it raw you're weakening your Soul Greatswords and Soul Spears, and the bonus scaling damage on magic should be enough to compensate if you're strong enough to use Soul Spear (at the blacksmithing screen, hit Y a couple times before selecting the type of infusion and it'll show you the total damage the weapon will do. Changing from Raw to Magic should show that value increasing, to show you what the base damage + scaling damage will equal out to). Personally I prefer just to use a standard weapon and a Black Witch's Staff, just because Blue Flame isn't super great at spellcasting without the spell buffs, and I use all four schools of magic at the same time.

Similarly there's no real reason not to make a Fire BKGS or a Lightning Heide weapon that I know of.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

he magc

Magic is the best. Just note what the overall damage is before and after the infusion, as well as the magic damage specifically, since that's the most important part.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, that makes it easier for me. Thank you guys. Again! :v:

I love games like this but the numbers fly over my head. I think I finished the original Dark Souls without ever infusing a weapon because oh no my main damage would go down slightly, completely misunderstanding the benefits.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
All this talk of double blue flames buffing each other makes me want to try blue flame/sanctum shield and rock magic weapon and magic shield at the same time.

e:

RBA Starblade posted:

Infuse your Blue Flames with Magic, then cast Great Magic Weapon/ Crystal Magic Weapon on themselves. The magic damage is the power of the catalyst,

Does this mean that if you kept alternating which blue flame you were enchanting with, the enchantment would be stronger each time? :aaaaa:

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 27, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

Does this mean that if you kept alternating which blue flame you were enchanting with, the enchantment would be stronger each time? :aaaaa:
Sadly no. The weapon buff spells in DaS2 have no scaling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

All this talk of double blue flames buffing each other makes me want to try blue flame/sanctum shield and rock magic weapon and magic shield at the same time.

e:

He's wrong, the buff has nothing to do with the catalyst itself. Duration depends purely on the relevant stats you have (e.g. Int for magic buffs) and the damage boost is a flat number of points added and a % increase.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Duration depends purely on the relevant stats you have (e.g. Int for magic buffs) and the damage boost is a flat number of points added and a % increase.

The duration also doesn't scale, weapon buffs don't scale at all, in any way. The only way to increase it is to use the Lingering Dragoncrest ring.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

The duration also doesn't scale, weapon buffs don't scale at all, in any way. The only way to increase it is to use the Lingering Dragoncrest ring.

Patch before last changed that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yup. If you have low investment they last much less time (down to ~20 seconds) and if you have high investment they last up to ~2 minutes or so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I think the issue he has with balancing PVE is that stuff balanced for PVE tends to not be balanced for PVP.

They are two different ballgames, as they say.

It is true that it is really hard to balance everything for both and they've never quite managed it, but that doesn't mean they should just not care about PvE. That's the entire game for most people, especially in DkS2 where you can go an entire first playthrough without being invaded once. I don't think we'll ever have perfect balance for both things but they'll probably get closer the more they patch the game. Probably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

He's wrong, the buff has nothing to do with the catalyst itself. Duration depends purely on the relevant stats you have (e.g. Int for magic buffs) and the damage boost is a flat number of points added and a % increase.

No I'm not, spells get more powerful when cast from more powerful catalysts. Infusing with Magic and using Crystal Magic Weapon makes the Blue Flame a more powerful catalyst. Crystal Magic Weapon (and other buffs) however only increase things by a set value. I didn't say anything about stronger catalysts making the buff stronger.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 27, 2014

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
finished the DLC and it was money well spent! I thought the pacing was weird though, I thought I was just getting started when it all ended.

are there any good story explaining youtubes? I didn't really understand anything that happened

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skilleddk posted:

finished the DLC and it was money well spent! I thought the pacing was weird though, I thought I was just getting started when it all ended.

are there any good story explaining youtubes? I didn't really understand anything that happened

There's not a lot to explain. The Sunken King worshiped the dragon and built a city around it, with Not Nashandra accruing power similar to Nashandra, then Yorgh and his knights, who worship dragon blood, poked the dragon in the chest with a spear, awakening the dragon who then puked out all the poison it built up inside itself during its long sleep, killing the city.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Where the hell can you buy arrows? I am running a bandit build and have like, zero ranged attacks. I am running the standard bow and have pretty high dexterity (21)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where the hell can you buy arrows? I am running a bandit build and have like, zero ranged attacks. I am running the standard bow and have pretty high dexterity (21)

Lenigrast has wooden arrows and limited iron arrows. McDuff has infinite iron arrows, Gavlan* has poison arrows, Ornifex has fire arrows, Wellager has magic and lightning arrows, and Agadyne has dark arrows.

*Infinite at the Doors of Pharros, limited in No Man's Wharf and Harvest Valley.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

There's not a lot to explain. The Sunken King worshiped the dragon and built a city around it, with Not Nashandra accruing power similar to Nashandra, then Yorgh and his knights, who worship dragon blood, poked the dragon in the chest with a spear, awakening the dragon who then puked out all the poison it built up inside itself during its long sleep, killing the city.

I wonder how she felt, watching all her work go up in poison because some dickhead decided to piss off Sinh. Not even like Nashandra whose plan started to fall apart because Vendrick pieced together what she was doing, no, just because some unrelated third part decided that he desperately needed some blood from this specific dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

argondamn posted:

Patch before last changed that.

Are you sure? Dark weapon with 55 INT 52 FTH took exactly 90 seconds to run out.