Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

Have you considered buying a mind seize on line? I got interested in the commander decks this june and that's how I got mine. Still need Prossh and Marath

I got some of the Commander decks (Oloro, Prossh, and Derevi) so I'm happy on that front. Lost interest in Mind Seize once I saw everyone and their mom had a list for Nekusar and Derevi basically stole my heart with all the little tricks there are to be had with Bant compared to Nekusar just doing the same thing over and over "Everybody draw cards. Everybody draw more cards. Everybody draw more cards, oh, I win."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Stab posted:

e: how busted would this be?:
Morph of Will
Morph - Discard a blue card
when ~ is turned face up, counter target spell
0/0

Does it have to morph into a permanent? I know Time Spiral played with some non-creature morph cards, but what would happen if it were an instant with morph? Like, it seems like some no-brainer design space to do, I'm just wondering if under the current rules the spell would just hit the stack when you morph as if you cast it, or if cards like this would require some rule changes. While we're at it lets have cards that can only be morphed in response to your opponent doing a specific thing (or can then do so more cheaply, Zendikar styles) so we can live the dream of "You activated my trap card!!"

Also, if morphing into an instant is, indeed, a thing, what do y'all think reasonable/likely costing would be for tacking morph onto staples like Counter and Shock like Theros did with scry? Having never played when morph was in the format I'm interested in what the value it has in & of itself.

ALSO, on another note, someone on Reddit suggested that delve could be a possible contender for one of the clan mechanics. I could see it happening! MaRo's talked before about it being likely to return somewhere, and it would fit nicely with some of the, as of now, largely pointless self-mill on a handful of cards that'll be in standard with Khans.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
What we can safely say will be important in Khans is the graveyard. Looking at a lot of design on M15 cards including Jace it seems very reasonable to say this. Delve could definitely come back, or maybe an 'improved' delve?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It would require a big rules change, but having it morph into a spell would be way better (it could be countered by things other than stifle).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wedge block announced?
Mana confluence is now $30 on starcity and $25 on tcgplayer :allears:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I have never once seen someone remember their Soldier of the Pantheon lifegain trigger on stream.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cernunnos posted:

Well alright then. Should be interesting.

Now the only question is which one will end up selling out everywhere and then being re-listed online and in LGS' for double price. (I have never seen a Mind Sieze pack outside of a game shop :()

Sadly that will have to wait until like October.

The Commander decks are freely available online yet Toxic Deluge still somehow costs more than buying the deck from the store, and True-Name Nemesis is only a few cents less.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mortimer posted:

Wedge block announced?

Technically it's just the first set that's about wedges.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I wonder if there is any sort of morph dual land in the works, and if there is , would they be strong enough for rare or would they be a cycle of uncommon lands. You'd have to imagine the second time around with morph they have to go to some crazier design space.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

One thing that would actually be kinda cool would be a cycle of morph creatures that you can cast for one color pair and unmorph for the other. Like Whip-Spine Drake.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The Commander decks are freely available online yet Toxic Deluge still somehow costs more than buying the deck from the store, and True-Name Nemesis is only a few cents less.

My LGS has Toxic at 14 bucks and it comes in the Oloro deck which you can find reasonably at Walmart and Target for 30 bucks. Luckily I picked mine up at Target it was in the wrong section and we got it for 19.99 (plus American tax). Although since then I've cut out the majority of cards and it's becoming a Wedwyn thing. Oloro is horrible because everyone focuses on you.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Kurtofan posted:

I'd guess the Large Small Large block structure also means Wedge, Non-Wedge, Wedge.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I feel like they can say this 10,000 times and there will still be a significant portion of the Magic community that assumes the entire block is wedge-themed based on the first set.

It sounds like this block is really ambitious, and I hope they pull it off for the casual crowd because I'd love to see things shaken up like this more often.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lord Of Texas posted:

I feel like they can say this 10,000 times and there will still be a significant portion of the Magic community that assumes the entire block is wedge-themed based on the first set.

It sounds like this block is really ambitious, and I hope they pull it off for the casual crowd because I'd love to see things shaken up like this more often.
Honestly it's really dumb for them to only put wedges in one set. I wouldn't blame the players on this one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mortimer posted:

Wedge block announced?

Provided this happens, this is exactly why you buy your lands early and quickly.

Korak posted:

Honestly it's really dumb for them to only put wedges in one set. I wouldn't blame the players on this one.

I don't understand when Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Theros had 5 rare lands in it when you're probably getting your enemy fetches anyway??? :haw:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Looking forward to some more future sight nonsense cards. Cards with negative attack and Land creatures would be cool

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oraculum Animi posted:

My LGS has Toxic at 14 bucks and it comes in the Oloro deck which you can find reasonably at Walmart and Target for 30 bucks. Luckily I picked mine up at Target it was in the wrong section and we got it for 19.99 (plus American tax). Although since then I've cut out the majority of cards and it's becoming a Wedwyn thing. Oloro is horrible because everyone focuses on you.

I meant online as in Magic Online, sorry.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oraculum Animi posted:

So it's not just the Target I work at that has this problem.

I picked up the M15 Clash pack for 20 bucks because it was in the wrong spot.

My Derevi deck is now the proud owner of the shiny as gently caress Temple of Mystery and Prophet of Kruphix. :getin:

I then proceeded to trade the Courser inside for 15$ in value so :shrug:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

So it's not just the Target I work at that has this problem.

I picked up the M15 Clash pack for 20 bucks because it was in the wrong spot.

My Derevi deck is now the proud owner of the shiny as gently caress Temple of Mystery and Prophet of Kruphix. :getin:

I then proceeded to trade the Courser inside for 15$ in value so :shrug:

Target and Walmart are so large and the cards are in the front so kids probably mess them up so often it's hard to keep that area organized. I was surprised the cashier didn't go back and check to see if I was lying, he just took our word for it. I've either got a trustable face, it's happened to him before and is common, or he's just gullible.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I like how they're doing Multicolor Block -> Block that pushes single colors -> Wedge set.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Mortimer posted:

Wedge block announced?

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/journey-into-nyx/mana-confluence

No...it's not?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:gonk: I had foil selected. I wanted to believe.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Bleck posted:

I don't understand when Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Theros had 5 rare lands in it when you're probably getting your enemy fetches anyway??? :haw:

I don't know why people keep assuming this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Target and Walmart are so large and the cards are in the front so kids probably mess them up so often it's hard to keep that area organized. I was surprised the cashier didn't go back and check to see if I was lying, he just took our word for it. I've either got a trustable face, it's happened to him before and is common, or he's just gullible.

Most people, myself included, don't give enough of a poo poo to make a big deal about 10 bucks, and we usually just adjust the price because oh no big mulch-billionaire store has to lose 10 bucks.

I don't know how Walmart does it but Target executives don't generally make a big fuss over 10 dollars.

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't know why people keep assuming this.

I'm not being serious.

But it would be nice. If not a nice thought.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Chorocojo posted:

Jaya is in a weird limbo. Jodah says she died in the Planar Chaos novel but that's an off-screen death in a storyline built around alternate timelines.

Feroz is a weird one because he's almost strictly an artificer. Like he never does a not-artifact thing. Even Feroz's Ban, which should be a drat white enchantment, is an artifact.

Here are all of the 'walkers I can think of not from the harper prism books:

-White-
Daria, Commodore Guff, Kristina of the Woods, Lord Windgrace, Serra, Feroz???

-Blue-
Bo Levar, Teferi, Urza

-Black-
Leshrac, Tevesh Szat

-Red-
Jaya, Jeska, Sandruu
-Slobad was a planeswalker for like five minutes

-Green-
Freyalise

-Multi-
Azor I - Not happening
Dakkon Blackblade - Not happening
Ramaz - Will probably show up in a future storyline
Taysir - Dude is all five colors and was a key part of his character

-???-
The Lithomancer - Gonna be some big reveal later on
Ugin - Maybe in Tarkir?

-gently caress you-
Any of the Carthalions, Ravidel, Geyadrone Dihada - gently caress those terrible comics.

Few more, some inclusions are odd, but Tef "lost his spark" so I think anyone else who had a weirdness to their spark is fair game:

Black: Grandma Sengir (which I would LOVE them to do), Ob nixilis

Red: Baltrice

Green: Glissa

Unknown: Parcher, Meshuvael, Baltrice, Masrath, Tessebik, Radha

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xaerael posted:

Few more, some inclusions are odd, but Tef "lost his spark" so I think anyone else who had a weirdness to their spark is fair game:

Black: Grandma Sengir (which I would LOVE them to do), Ob nixilis

Red: Baltrice

Green: Glissa

Unknown: Parcher, Meshuvael, Baltrice, Masrath, Tessebik, Radha

I wanted to say Glissa would've been a choice for Green, but she literally never ever ascended.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Chorocojo posted:

Jaya is in a weird limbo. Jodah says she died in the Planar Chaos novel but that's an off-screen death in a storyline built around alternate timelines.

Feroz is a weird one because he's almost strictly an artificer. Like he never does a not-artifact thing. Even Feroz's Ban, which should be a drat white enchantment, is an artifact.

Here are all of the 'walkers I can think of not from the harper prism books:

-White-
Daria, Commodore Guff, Kristina of the Woods, Lord Windgrace, Serra, Feroz???

-Blue-
Bo Levar, Teferi, Urza

-Black-
Leshrac, Tevesh Szat

-Red-
Jaya, Jeska, Sandruu
-Slobad was a planeswalker for like five minutes

-Green-
Freyalise

-Multi-
Azor I - Not happening
Dakkon Blackblade - Not happening
Ramaz - Will probably show up in a future storyline
Taysir - Dude is all five colors and was a key part of his character

-???-
The Lithomancer - Gonna be some big reveal later on
Ugin - Maybe in Tarkir?

-gently caress you-
Any of the Carthalions, Ravidel, Geyadrone Dihada - gently caress those terrible comics.

There's always Greensleeves. She was an archdruid, so I guess green? She cast everything though.

She also burned out her spark but whatever, if the only other green option is Freyalise I may as well name her.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Count Bleck posted:

I wanted to say Glissa would've been a choice for Green, but she literally never ever ascended.

I think the thing to remember is the EDH decks are pretty much non-canon. So while really unlikely, there's the chance they could do a "lookit the potential this one would have had!" thing.

TBH, I just want a Grandma Sengir Planeswalker. I also hope if they do it's a really weird card with some sort of "stops being a planeswalker" effect somewhere to emulate her senility. Even something weird like a coinflip on upkeep.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Garth One-Eye. Repping house of Oor-tael since I was 13 and read bad fantasy novels!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Xaerael posted:

I think the thing to remember is the EDH decks are pretty much non-canon. So while really unlikely, there's the chance they could do a "lookit the potential this one would have had!" thing.

TBH, I just want a Grandma Sengir Planeswalker. I also hope if they do it's a really weird card with some sort of "stops being a planeswalker" effect somewhere to emulate her senility. Even something weird like a coinflip on upkeep.

I don't think this is true, but I think EDH isn't in the current timeline. So they can make pre-mending planeswalkers etc.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I have to say that I really like the idea of the small middle set being drafted with the bookending large sets. I think with WotC's current design paradigm that it's very hard for them to make a fun limited format that crosses three sets at a time.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:drat: this Pod Infinite Life Combo on the GP stream deck tech...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pinwiz11 posted:

:drat: this Pod Infinite Life Combo on the GP stream deck tech...

It is so stupid. I hate pod.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

jassi007 posted:

It is so stupid. I hate pod.

Is the opponent supposed to concede to the infinite life or what?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

always be closing posted:

You don't have to but seriously what are you going to do? Some decks can battle through arbitrarily high life totals, but most can not. Keeping in mind that after pod goes banana's on life, then they'll start pod chaining to get some finishers.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Mill them out :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A lot of been playing Archangel of Thune so they also have a few dudes with arbitrarily high power and toughness which ends the game quickly.

BXCX posted:

Mill them out :getin:

I have done this and it owns

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AgentSythe posted:

A lot of been playing Archangel of Thune so they also have a few dudes with arbitrarily high power and toughness which ends the game quickly.

I personally play Sun Titan as a finisher (varies if it's in the main or side), which is also a fetch target for when I want to pod my Reveillark to recur combo pieces (and is itself another recursion method). Reveillark itself can smash in some teeth, and of course Archangel of Thune.

Everyone hates on pod as a combo deck, but I'd say I only win through combo in 15-20% of my games, usually it's just a really efficient and versatile beatdown deck.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I was in a chat wondering this, and I was curious what the thread thought.

What are the mechanics that fit for a wedge? The only thing I could think of is that First strike is almost exclusive to White, red, and black. The only green or blue cards with first strike that I can find that are legal in modern and don't rely on one of the other colors are two legends, Glissa and Mirri.

EDIT:^^ Also, holy crap the Mardu goblins look amazing.

Blue, Green, and Black all sacrifice creatures to draw cards (Greater Good, Drowned Rusalka, Altar's Reap), so something like the cycling-from-play ability seen on cards like Yavimaya Elder would make a good BUG mechanic. In general, it could be the grindy card-advantage wedge.

BRW would be aggro-based, although aside from first strike there's not many abilities I can think of that fit well in all three.

RUG strikes me as the combo wedge, I guess, but that's not really a clear enough identity by itself. There's not a ton of overlap; the fundamental problem is that green is the most creature-based color and red and blue are the least creature-based. An ability like Heroic could combine the creature-based and non-creature-based aspects, I suppose.

RUW is weird and doesn't have a ton of overlap. RUW constructed decks tend to be control decks, but red isn't very controlling in general aside from creature and artifact removal. If you were to give RUW a keyword, it would probably be something like Radiance.

BGW would obviously be graveyard-themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oraculum Animi posted:

What? This is a thing? American law or something?

The prices on the shelves here say what product it is so it would say like Clash Pack $30. If the Clash Pack was moved over to another spot for something that says $20 you get it for that price? Even though the toy area looks like a war zone half the time? Weird.

Also is the new MTGO making it hard for bots to adjust pricing or something? I'm used to goatbots being fairly competitive, but there have been half ticket differences recently with bots like cardbot.

• Locked thread