Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I don't know. I think it's kind of refreshing to have a hero who did a legitimately hosed up thing and to not have it glossed over in order to avoid controversy. I agree it shouldn't be his defining trait, but I don't see what's so bad about continuing to acknowledge that 1) it's a thing that happened, 2) it was really bad, and 3) he's still trying to make up for it.

But it kind of rubs me the wrong way when people say that it should just be forgotten about. I say either retire the character or continue to acknowledge that he's a man with severe mental and emotional issues who once struck his wife in anger. I don't understand what's to be gained by pretending that it didn't happen, other than preventing real world ugliness from intruding into our escapist funnybooks. I mean, has there ever been a story that suggested what he did was okay?

Lots of people have talked about how Tony's fuckups are glossed over in the comics but even in the movies, we've seen Tony put on the Iron Man armor while drunk and endanger civilians and even the movie itself completely glosses over Tony's alcoholism and the abuse of the Iron Man armor.

Hopefully some other film won't gloss over it so much but god drat did IM2 suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

redbackground posted:

Why does Superman need a shield? Put that down and give it to Robin or something.

Cap's Shield blocks magic, which at the time was sort of important.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sentinel Red posted:

All I'd say about the hammer thing is if he can't quite pick it up now, how is he going to be able to do so later? He's already the loveliest, most decent guy in the world, I can't quite imagine what more he could do between now and (presumably) the Thanos moment that would make him worthy enough.

Shaking off the bad influences of his peers and reuniting with Bucky.

After being defrosted, Cap has spent years working for HYDRA while just throwing in the occasional limp objection. The same is true of his working with Stark.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I''m surprised there wasn't more news on other Marvel films coming out of SDCC. You would think they would've at least formally announced Dr. Strange and given the release date, if not more films on the slate that they've got dates for.

I'm surprised WB/DC didn't have any non-BvS announcements either, we were at least expecting a Rock/Shazam confirmation. Are there still more panels where those projects could be announced?

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Are there seriously no blurry rear end pics or vids of the AoU trailer? I can't find any anywhere. I just wanna hear James Spader's voice come out of the CGI metal man and see the hulk punch stuff.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Are there seriously no blurry rear end pics or vids of the AoU trailer? I can't find any anywhere. I just wanna hear James Spader's voice come out of the CGI metal man and see the hulk punch stuff.

I'm wondering if the footage may end up being shown as the GOTG post credits

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate? I think it holds up great.

When was the last time you read it? I picked up a TPB back up a month ago while replacing stuff lost in a fire and it's just dull stock Miller to me. Transformative for the time it was released but the fight is the only thing that actually stands out anymore and I'm not sure if that's just nostalgia or not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dacap posted:

I''m surprised there wasn't more news on other Marvel films coming out of SDCC. You would think they would've at least formally announced Dr. Strange and given the release date, if not more films on the slate that they've got dates for.

I don't think they want to get in the way of Guardians, so they might be saving all that for NYCC. Either way they obviously weren't ready.

Dacap posted:

I'm wondering if the footage may end up being shown as the GOTG post credits

I doubt it. Marvel have been good about the post-movie ads not just being straight up clip reels like the one for DoFP after ASM 2.

SirDan3k posted:

When was the last time you read it? I picked up a TPB back up a month ago while replacing stuff lost in a fire and it's just dull stock Miller to me. Transformative for the time it was released but the fight is the only thing that actually stands out anymore and I'm not sure if that's just nostalgia or not.

I have never read TDKR, and I'm also not a huge Miller fan. Maybe I'll check it out and see if it holds up!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

This is apparently the first Ultron body in the movie

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

This is apparently the first Ultron body in the movie

Haha, Christ that's terrifying.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wonder if they're going to go with the 'daddy issues' aspect of Ultron and have him kidnap Pepper

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hakkesshu posted:

I doubt it. Marvel have been good about the post-movie ads not just being straight up clip reels like the one for DoFP after ASM 2.

It's what the last movie that led up to an Avengers film had.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SirDan3k posted:

I watched the animated version not too long ago and thought the central themes held up really well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

It's what the last movie that led up to an Avengers film had.

Did it? That was Cap 1, and it just had the scene where he woke up in the present day. I don't remember an actual teaser for Avengers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cap had a post credits teaser which was just a bad trailer. Kind of like how The Matrix Reloaded had one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WT2A79FEI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, I don't remember that at all. I wonder if they showed it in my country.

Edit: I guess it might have been after the credits, and I didn't stick around.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 27, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Cap had a post credits teaser which was just a bad trailer. Kind of like how The Matrix Reloaded had one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WT2A79FEI

That's not the version of it I saw, but yeah, that thing. Besides, what are they going to advertise after Guardians anyway?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Gunn has said now on twitter that the SDCC footage is not the GOTG sting and that he directed the post-credits tease himself.

Also:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dacap posted:

Gunn has said now on twitter that the SDCC footage is not the GOTG sting and that he directed the post-credits tease himself.

Also:

Well, I guess that answers the discussion from earlier in the thread.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Depending on how much he's in the movie I'm guessing the GotG stinger will be more Thanos setup

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Opopanax posted:

Depending on how much he's in the movie I'm guessing the GotG stinger will be more Thanos setup

My guess is that it'll be him showing up and taking the Infinity Gem that Sif and Volstagg brought the Collector in the Thor 2 post credits scene.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

My guess is that it'll be him showing up and taking the Infinity Gem that Sif and Volstagg brought the Collector in the Thor 2 post credits scene.

The Collector is the one getting all the gems together. So I don't think that would be the case. I'm thinking Thanos is using the Collector as an intermediary to get the gems, since nobody would really think much about that. But if Thanos is all of a sudden getting these things, people would take notice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dacap posted:

I'm surprised WB/DC didn't have any non-BvS announcements either, we were at least expecting a Rock/Shazam confirmation. Are there still more panels where those projects could be announced?

I don't know what's up with Cap 3, but I'm fairly certain that Dr. Strange was a case of Marvel wanting to make a casting announcement but simply not closing a deal in time.

WB, on the other hand... Could mean that they're waiting for some future date and other deals to close, could mean that their post-BvS plans are still very much in flux. I lean towards the latter, but we'll see.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't help but think shattered Cap shield will lead to Black Panther. Stark can make a holographic shield like in the comics as a stopgap weapon, but Steve's going to want to get old betsy fixed up. Tony checks his dads notes and find out the material the shield was made out of was originally found in a small, unexplored African Nation, Wakanda. I could see Cap 3 starting off with them going there and finding their way into the court of the Panther God.

If i was to put a nickle on it, I'd say the after credits sequence would be Ant-man related.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I can't help but think shattered Cap shield will lead to Black Panther. Stark can make a holographic shield like in the comics as a stopgap weapon, but Steve's going to want to get old betsy fixed up. Tony checks his dads notes and find out the material the shield was made out of was originally found in a small, unexplored African Nation, Wakanda. I could see Cap 3 starting off with them going there and finding their way into the court of the Panther God.

If i was to put a nickle on it, I'd say the after credits sequence would be Ant-man related.
Isn't the simplest interpretation of the broken shield just that they're doing the Infinity Gauntlet plotline?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ufarn posted:

Isn't the simplest interpretation of the broken shield just that they're doing the Infinity Gauntlet plotline?

In Age of Ultron? Not a chance.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

ufarn posted:

They're doing it, but not until avengers 3.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I loved Hank Pym's portrayal in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as a generally pacifistic dude who was far less interested in locking up supervillains as he was in studying them and trying to rehabilitate them. Being a superhero was very low-priority for him compared to being a scientist and humanitarian, and it was fun watching his motivations clash with Janet's who was just hella jazzed about the whole hero thing.

Avengers: EMS was just really good and in a perfect world that would be Hank's primary personality. I remember Edgar Wright was using the show as one of his inspirations for the film, which got me really excited but then, well... :smith:.

WickedHate posted:

That's still not equal at all.

Yeah, Thanos could still use a leg-up.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ladyboy pancake posted:

I loved Hank Pym's portrayal in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as a generally pacifistic dude who was far less interested in locking up supervillains as he was in studying them and trying to rehabilitate them. Being a superhero was very low-priority for him compared to being a scientist and humanitarian, and it was fun watching his motivations clash with Janet's who was just hella jazzed about the whole hero thing.

Avengers: EMS was just really good and in a perfect world that would be Hank's primary personality. I remember Edgar Wright was using the show as one of his inspirations for the film, which got me really excited but then, well... :smith:.

Yeah, Thanos could still use a leg-up.

I also like that EMH made Ultron creation a shared action amongst the team instead of solely putting it on Hank's head.

edit:

Oh poo poo, the Avengers are hosed

Dacap fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 28, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Here's the audio from the Avengers Footage, Ultron sounds like....James Spader. Shocking!

https://soundcloud.com/agent1420/robot-can-be-mean

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dacap posted:

Here's the audio from the Avengers Footage, Ultron sounds like....James Spader. Shocking!

God drat I need to see this it sounds fun as all gently caress.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat I need to see this it sounds fun as all gently caress.

I really like the music.

I hope they show this before/after Guardians.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is Guardians supposed to be good in 3D? I usually don't bother.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

One of the people who saw an early screening suggested it in the CD thread.

Bewildrbeast posted:

GotG was exceptional. lots of fun, the 3D looked how 3D is supposed to look (I hate 3D but was blown away; it's immersive through and through and doesn't rely on stupid random things popping out at you) and plenty of humor from all characters, not just Quill and Rocky.
the screening I was at last night had a bunch of cosplayers which was really weird. do people usually dress up for screenings / opening nights?

e: and the comments about the 3rd act being legit are true. it kept going all the way through with no slowing down and the fights (of which there are oodles) all felt exciting, even if we already knew the characters were gonna make it.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 28, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

I also like that EMH made Ultron creation a shared action amongst the team instead of solely putting it on Hank's head.

edit:

Oh poo poo, the Avengers are hosed

You have to wonder what the first man on the moon would do if he could alter reality and people's minds. What more would he want? To be President again?

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

Dacap posted:

Don't really know much about Mr. Spader but man he sounded great as a gravelly voiced Ultron. Really wish there were photos of this at least.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It has been over 24 hours. I am so mad at you for not leaking Avengers footage, internet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

muscles like this? posted:

Pay the extra. It's a great movie, and the 3D was excellent. I already saw it, and I'm still anxiously waiting to see it on opening day.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Did the comic-con teaser for Man of Steel a few years ago ever get an official airing/posting? It seems like it was different in some way than the one that made the mainstream rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
I don't think it did, can't find a non-cam version online.

• Locked thread