Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rincewind posted:

And then a letter from Doux Heraklios Altuntekin of Paphlagonia-- yes, the descendant of that Doux Altuntekin, the one who put Komitas Branas on the throne-- arrived in the Senate.

You had me at Altuntekin.

Vote B! Vote all the B!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sorry Senator Sniper, but I'm afraid I must vote with my heart: A.

Basilike and her son have proven with this French war that they are incompetent, worthless louts, unworthy of the throne on which they squat! Why not let France have Savoy? They need all the resources they can get their hands on if they are to destroy the Chinese stains in the West! If they are to help us defeat the remaining Catholic filth! Now, look where we are: we have ruined our relations, pissed away our army, and fallen into the turbulence these reforms were designed to prevent!

It is has been Yaroslavich all along. The world would be better if Dobrava had been sent to a monastery, let's hope this new Altuntekin has the stuff!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Sorry Senator Sniper, but I'm afraid I must vote with my heart: A.

Basilike and her son have proven with this French war that they are incompetent, worthless louts, unworthy of the throne on which they squat! Why not let France have Savoy? They need all the resources they can get their hands on if they are to destroy the Chinese stains in the West! If they are to help us defeat the remaining Catholic filth! Now, look where we are: we have ruined our relations, pissed away our army, and fallen into the turbulence these reforms were designed to prevent!

It is has been Yaroslavich all along. The world would be better if Dobrava had been sent to a monastery, let's hope this new Altuntekin has the stuff!

Gurgen II Qutuzid

Openly and shamelessly voting for the romanophiliac Doukal filth. You make your ancestors proud senator Cyrahzax, and just like my ancestors before me I despise you and your entire bloodline for it. I'll see you on the other side!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Luhood posted:

Gurgen II Qutuzid

Openly and shamelessly voting for the romanophiliac Doukal filth. You make your ancestors proud senator Cyrahzax, and just like my ancestors before me I despise you and your entire bloodline for it. I'll see you on the other side!

Likewise, Qutuzid. And you dare use "romanophiliac" as an insult? As if the love of Rome shouldn't be the foremost thing on all our hearts? I love Rome more than my wife, my children, my better slaves, and even my loyal dog! I love Rome enough to do what is best, rather than allow the cycle of civil war to continue without end under the least deserving dynasty to ever crawl on her throne!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Pious Marius III

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Likewise, Qutuzid. And you dare use "romanophiliac" as an insult? As if the love of Rome shouldn't be the foremost thing on all our hearts? I love Rome more than my wife, my children, my better slaves, and even my loyal dog! I love Rome enough to do what is best, rather than allow the cycle of civil war to continue without end under the least deserving dynasty to ever crawl on her throne!

If you loved Rome, you'd throw yourself off the Theodosian wall and spare Rome decades of your treacherous inanity! In fact, as a military man, your wrong-headed backing of the cowardly doux shall make my victory all the sweeter! I shall personally see to it that you have the opportunity to meet your precious Altuntekin face to face- sans body!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Gurgen II Qutuzid

I would've used the word "grecophiliac", but that would include the tolerant Greek populace not to mention the Greco-Turks of western Anatolia. It shouldn't be the love of Rome that is in our hearts but the love of its Empress and her people! The only dynasty least deserving to ever sit on the throne in Constantinople is that of Barnas, put there by the ancestors of the very Altuntekin you currently support, the one who lost us Venice and the northern coast of the Black Sea.

I haven't found a worthier enemy than you, Cyrahzax! May our rivalry last for a thousand moons!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
##Vote B

And castrate every Altuntekin you can get your hands on. This family line needs to end.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Luhood posted:

Gurgen II Qutuzid

I would've used the word "grecophiliac", but that would include the tolerant Greek populace not to mention the Greco-Turks of western Anatolia. It shouldn't be the love of Rome that is in our hearts but the love of its Empress and her people! The only dynasty least deserving to ever sit on the throne in Constantinople is that of Barnas, put there by the ancestors of the very Altuntekin you currently support, the one who lost us Venice and the northern coast of the Black Sea.

I haven't found a worthier enemy than you, Cyrahzax! May our rivalry last for a thousand moons!

Ten thousand, until the end of this world and into the next!

Listen to yourself! Are you ready to pull out the alter of the Divus Julius too? Such sycophantism to the Emperor is disgusting, immoral and utterly worthless! It is Rome herself, not the Emperor or "people" that endures, that must be safeguarded! A civil war now will put us at the mercy of all our horrifying foreign foes: the loathsome Da Qin, the Hui filth polluting Germany, and even His Unholiness! Let the doukes have their way: the Senate will exist, we will be able to oversee the transition, and work with the doukes, the people that actually rule the provinces, to build a better Rome.

There is no need for a civil war.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
##Vote A

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

##Burn the Doukes!

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 27, 2014

ConConHead
Apr 9, 2007
Geek-Girl
##Vote B

Too long the Doukes have mocked the power of the Imperial throne. Screw them.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
##Vote B

The person who now asks the empress to abdicate is of the same blood as the one who gave us an emperor to run Rome into the ground! We cannot let this happen again, we are still only just recovering from THAT tragedy.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ten thousand, until the end of this world and into the next!

Listen to yourself! Are you ready to pull out the alter of the Divus Julius too? Such sycophantism to the Emperor is disgusting, immoral and utterly worthless! It is Rome herself, not the Emperor or "people" that endures, that must be safeguarded! A civil war now will put us at the mercy of all our horrifying foreign foes: the loathsome Da Qin, the Hui filth polluting Germany, and even His Unholiness! Let the doukes have their way: the Senate will exist, we will be able to oversee the transition, and work with the doukes, the people that actually rule the provinces, to build a better Rome.

There is no need for a civil war.

A Rome built by the Douxes will be a feudal empire, a confederation of provinces with a figurehead Emperor or Empress. This is anathema to our motto of "Centralization and Modernization."

Throwing ourselves on the mercy of the Douxes dooms us to irrelevancy. We must fight now for the Rome we wish to build.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

A Rome built by the Douxes will be a feudal empire, a confederation of provinces with a figurehead Emperor or Empress. This is anathema to our motto of "Centralization and Modernization."

Throwing ourselves on the mercy of the Douxes dooms us to irrelevancy. We must fight now for the Rome we wish to build.

I must disagree. A civil war now would have the same effect, amplified a thousandfold. Vultures circle around us, and we must not give them a chance to strike! Who says the doukes can't be fellow architects of the Rome we wish to build? Surely at least a few of their grievances are legitimate. If we work with them now, a centralized state will be easier to build. If we continue to antagonize them, there will be more civil war down the road, something we must avoid!

If we fight, we might lose, which will send us far further down the path you wish to avoid. Compromise now will nip those problems in the bud, and give us a state apparatus capable of working together.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
##Vote B! Death to traitors!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

B

Stupid outdated Douxes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:fuckoff:

(b)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Ahem, greetings Senators. I have just passed my civil service exams and believe I'm uniquely qualified to tell you what the wisest of sages would have to say about this situation.

When the ruler is benevolent and his subjects filial, Heaven grants the state blessings and beneficent prosperity. However, when the ruler, whose job it is to harmonize Heavens with Men and Earth, fails at this duty, the state experiences hardships: losses abroad, bad harvests, revolts, and all manner of ill-fortune. The experiences of the past few years have clearly shown that Heaven has withdrawn her favor for House Yaroslavich.

##Vote A! Capitulate to the Douxes

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012
## Vote B

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

##B is for Blood.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I must concur with Senator Song's assessment. Look what happened to the empire of Chang Yuchun when Heaven took back her favor. Furthermore, we simply cannot withstand another civil war on the magnitude of years past, and for whom? The emperor who has only brought us defeat in an unnecessary war and bankruptcy? Though it may already be too late, I call upon the voices of reason in the Senate to seek peace in these trying times.

##Vote A
/

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
## Vote B

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Patter Song posted:

Ahem, greetings Senators. I have just passed my civil service exams and believe I'm uniquely qualified to tell you what the wisest of sages would have to say about this situation.

When the ruler is benevolent and his subjects filial, Heaven grants the state blessings and beneficent prosperity. However, when the ruler, whose job it is to harmonize Heavens with Men and Earth, fails at this duty, the state experiences hardships: losses abroad, bad harvests, revolts, and all manner of ill-fortune. The experiences of the past few years have clearly shown that Heaven has withdrawn her favor for House Yaroslavich.

##Vote A! Capitulate to the Douxes

Your over-emphasis on the works of the Orient does you no credit. The Lord has bestowed the right to rule upon the Empress, and he has place the Douxes in our way to test our resolve. We must prove ourselves worthy of not only his favor, but the new Empire we hope to build.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

sniper4625 posted:

Your over-emphasis on the works of the Orient does you no credit. The Lord has bestowed the right to rule upon the Empress, and he has place the Douxes in our way to test our resolve. We must prove ourselves worthy of not only his favor, but the new Empire we hope to build.

Very well. The examination did require a familiarity with the holy works of our faith as well. Perhaps this is more relevant to you: mene mene tekel upharsin: the House of Yaroslavovich has been weighed and found wanting. Its dominions shall be divided between douxes and foreigners. Will you be wise like Daniel and withdraw your support from this doomed Belshazzar?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Very well. The examination did require a familiarity with the holy works of our faith as well. Perhaps this is more relevant to you: mene mene tekel upharsin: the House of Yaroslavovich has been weighed and found wanting. Its dominions shall be divided between douxes and foreigners. Will you be wise like Daniel and withdraw your support from this doomed Belshazzar?

Please, Senators, see reason! Basilike is a failure: she started an unnecessary war with a country that should be our closest ally, and now we are diplomatically isolated, our army is in ruins, and there will be civil war. Civil war is the greatest of invitations to the vultures and barbarians that surround us, we cannot let them see our blood! We must compromise!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
:siren: VOTE CLOSED

ABDICATE
Juvenalian.Satyr
Tevery Best
Readingaccount
Lord Cyrahzax
Muskatnuss
Patter Song
Raserys

KILL THEM ALL
Hitlers Gay Secret
Flesnolk
Not So Fast
Kor
NewMars
BwenGun
Frozen_flame
Horsebanger
AJ_Impy
sniper4625
Sparq
WeaponGradeSadness
YF-23
Ghetto Prince
TheMcD
Jeoh
ZearothK
Rejected Fate
Freudian
Blackunknown
Aeromancia
Lynneth
Luhood
GoatLord
Technowolf
ConConHead
tabris
Night10194
ThatBasqueGuy
Alexey
Alikchi
Unwise_Cashew

Gee, I wonder who won?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Rincewind posted:

Gee, I wonder who won?

Was it C: Form Voltron?

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
This barely even needed a vote. Of course we're going to kill some Douxes.

Enjoy your independence Crete, it won't last long if we have anything to say about it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

May the Lord bless us, our Empress, and our Empire in the days to come. May we emerge from the other side strengthened, united, and stronger than before.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I want to go on record stating, should our vassal states of Sicily, Ragusa, Belgorod, and especially the monastic state of Kartli, prove themselves invaluable through aid in the upcoming conflict, that I expect our most noble Empress and future Emperor reward them appropriately.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

YF-23 posted:

I want to go on record stating, should our vassal states of Sicily, Ragusa, Belgorod, and especially the monastic state of Kartli, prove themselves invaluable through aid in the upcoming conflict, that I expect our most noble Empress and future Emperor reward them appropriately.

Preferably by bringing them fully into the Imperial Fold.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

I agree. They should be rewarded by being graciously allowed to be closer to the Roman fold.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Merarch Altan Üzüntü

I know the vote has closed, but I wanted to say one last thing: I can see the wisdom in the people urging capitulation. It's a safe bet, a guaranteed victory, less rewarding but with less danger. But I didn't raise myself to the rank of Merarch in the Roman Army by playing it safe; sometimes, you must couch your lance and charge. If we lose this civil war, we will all suffer greatly, moreso than if we capitulated. That is true, and for that reason I don't think less of anyone in here who voted differently than I. But if we roll over onto our backs like a pack of whipped dogs, our new emperor will be at best a man obsessed with his own power above all and at worst an idiot the douxes can push around to their whim, weakening our nation--our Rome!--in a time that should be seeing the end of such feudal nonsense. And I think fighting against that is worth any risk. Right now I have two sons and a daughter in the Roman military, who may lose their lives in the civil war; but I would prefer that to seeing Roman might crippled by scheming feudal backstabbers. Yes, I said it: I would rather see my sons pierced with arrows, my daughter trampled underneath cavalry hooves, than watch them grow old and raise their children in a pathetic backwater, an unworthy place for such worthy soldiers, a Rome known not for its strength and bravery but its scheming gang of nobles desperately scrabbling over their own wealth while the nation decays. Glory or death, my friends.

((OOC: This was a hard vote for me, because I get the feeling we're probably not in a good position to fight them off. We had some time to recover but Rincewind being coy about what our military looks like now has me worried that we're making a mistake. But like I said, death or glory. I'm sure Rincewind has something in mind for us to do even if we lose and get purged.))

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I realize this is a little late, but you might wanna make another pass at the Silla names because I have general Yeoun Smith leading one of my armies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

BwenGun posted:

Preferably by bringing them fully into the Imperial Fold.

theblastizard posted:

I agree. They should be rewarded by being graciously allowed to be closer to the Roman fold.

Were their lords to catch wind of such intentions they would most assuredly take advantage of the civil war to put their daggers on our back as well and leave us bleeding. The army is battered from the war with France and they're the most reliable source of support we have. We cannot risk jeopardising that.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

## Vote B

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

I'd apologize for tardiness, but it seems that the vote has moved in the favor I would have voted for. The governance of douxes is a thing of the past, and while I urge us not to pick fights so hastily (our encounter with France, the Not-Rome among a sea of Romes, should remind us what happens when we aren't properly prepared for war) but as has been brought up, the Douxes are both an old and increasingly unnecessary fragment of Feudalism. A modern Rome should not be so easily threatened by these Feudal threats.

I would like to also take this time to remind members of the Monternos Party of our agreed upon voting structure for party Leadership, so those wish to take Leadership should prepare their cases sooner rather than later.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
##Vote B!
Death to the Doukes traitors!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where would be the adventure in capitulating to pompous bluebloods? We've beaten these lily-liver baboons before, we'll do it again, and we'll keep doing it until they either get with the New Era or do the world a favor and drop dead.

Besides, I'd doubt they'd allow funding for THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm designs on the Suez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
## Vote B

• Locked thread