Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pulled it out of storage. Pulled the battery off the charger. Checked fluids, chain, tires. Full tank of gas with a can of seafoam. Then I rode 400 miles in the rain.

Feels good to be back on a bike again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
What I did to my ride today was pay 700 euros :gonk: to get it fixed up. Had the Buell shop check all the bearings and do the fork oil; steering head bearings were completely hosed, so bad that once they were out the bottom bearing was completely impossible to turn by hand. He also noticed that my belt wasn't in the best shape so I had that replaced too, going on a 3000mi trip soon after all. 14000 miles on the bike, I sure hope the new bearings and belt last longer than that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I subscribe to the "bring a spare" belt philosophy, it's easy enough to swap in a parking lot. But then again I have room to stow one.

Steering head bearings are a common fail point on XBs not because of engineering or parts quality, but because people like to wheelie them. Mine are also not good, which I may have contributed to.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
So some idiot somehow squeezed the front brake with it off the rotor. What's the easiest way to get them apart so I can mount them again?

I really don't want to open the whole system so I may just see if I can slide a putty knife in between.

Any magical fixes?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Putty knife works. Whatever you can get in there to spread the pistons and not mar the surface is fine.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

advion posted:

So some idiot somehow squeezed the front brake with it off the rotor. What's the easiest way to get them apart so I can mount them again?

I really don't want to open the whole system so I may just see if I can slide a putty knife in between.

Any magical fixes?

I used a nylon bread scraper. A hard nylon putty knife (2 for $1 at harbor freight) also works great. Those hard nylon putty knives are also wonderful for general scraping-of-stuff without damaging paint or scratching chrome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

What I did to my ride today was pay 700 euros :gonk: to get it fixed up. Had the Buell shop check all the bearings and do the fork oil; steering head bearings were completely hosed, so bad that once they were out the bottom bearing was completely impossible to turn by hand. He also noticed that my belt wasn't in the best shape so I had that replaced too, going on a 3000mi trip soon after all. 14000 miles on the bike, I sure hope the new bearings and belt last longer than that.

Is there more to this story? How old is that bike? I don't think I've ever seen a bike younger than like 1993 with hosed steering bearings.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I saw your bike on Facebook, High Protein.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I used a nylon bread scraper. A hard nylon putty knife (2 for $1 at harbor freight) also works great. Those hard nylon putty knives are also wonderful for general scraping-of-stuff without damaging paint or scratching chrome.

Thanks gents. I'll get the bike rebuilt tomorrow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is there more to this story? How old is that bike? I don't think I've ever seen a bike younger than like 1993 with hosed steering bearings.

I've owned three. It happens with mileage and being outdoors; bigger, heavier bikes seem to destroy theirs faster.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It also happens when you wheelie the poo poo out of it all the time. My ex had a Tuono that she tracked and hooned like a goof and head bearings were a 1-1.5 year maintenance item on that thing.

vvv I'm well aware of this

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Bugdrvr posted:

My ex had a Tuono that she tracked and hooned like a goof

Shoulda kept that one

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

7 years old. I don't know, it could be that one of the two PO's wheelied it to bits. Or maybe it's because I tend to take speed bumps at full speed while standing on the pegs but I doubt that. There was some corrosion on the steering head stem so the weather's played a role too, however since I got it at 5000 miles at least it's not seen that much rain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If they get loose and you don't tighten them up (most people don't) they self destruct pretty quickly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me sometimes I feel like a moron. Last night I went to replace the plugs on my bike. I found I could do all of them excet #3 because it's directly under the frame, and my lovely around-the-house tools couldn't get in there (Honda :argh:). I resolved to go to a second-hand tool shop this morning and buy the appropriate extension, which I did. Just now I stuck all the plugs in, ran the bike and it had a crazy misfire and sounded like a triple.

After an hour of fault finding I realised that when I reassembled the bike last night, I was in a hurry to watch game of thrones and stuck #1 and #2 leads around the wrong way :doh:

It doesn't sound like a really lovely parallel twin, all of a sudden!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

gently caress me sometimes I feel like a moron. Last night I went to replace the plugs on my bike. I found I could do all of them excet #3 because it's directly under the frame, and my lovely around-the-house tools couldn't get in there (Honda :argh:). I resolved to go to a second-hand tool shop this morning and buy the appropriate extension, which I did. Just now I stuck all the plugs in, ran the bike and it had a crazy misfire and sounded like a triple.

After an hour of fault finding I realised that when I reassembled the bike last night, I was in a hurry to watch game of thrones and stuck #1 and #2 leads around the wrong way :doh:

It doesn't sound like a really lovely parallel twin, all of a sudden!

Joffrey does that to people.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Installed Givi rack and plate on the back of my BMW, took a couple hours to figure out how to mount them because the instructions were pretty basic with only photos and some numbers saying what hardware to use where. Luckily I found a decent online guide to installing it all. Yeah the garage is a mess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus at least stack poo poo instead of just piling. Did you have a tetris when you were a kid?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like, a tetris block? Or a tetris game? Or even a single game of tetris? Or do you also talk through a bluetooth and post on the internet using your CPU?

:goonsay:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm trying to capture the old-person-speaking feel. I always remember it being called 'the tetris' by everyone over 30.

"I'm using 'the email'."

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Put back on the handguards after spending an hour at the diy store trying to find right-ish allen bolts.

Put on the mapping that was originally on the bike to give that a try again; this map has worse MPG due to not running closed-loop ever and being richer all around, but dang the bike is so much more well behaved with it.

Ordered a PR4 front, old PR3's got about 7000 miles on it has plenty of thread left for puttering around, but not enough for a 3000+mi trip. So I'm going to replace it at the very last minute.

Futzed around with figuring out how to mount a bit of luggage; glad I never sprang for a fender eliminator kit as there's a hole behind the indicator stalk that's perfect for hooking a bungee into. Thanks Erik!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

a 3000+mi trip

figuring out how to mount a bit of luggage

there's a hole behind the indicator stalk that's perfect for hooking a bungee into

How much load is that bungee going to be carrying, exactly? Do you think that's strong enough to support a fully loaded set of bags (in whatever direction it ends up being) for 3000 miles?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

How much load is that bungee going to be carrying, exactly? Do you think that's strong enough to support a fully loaded set of bags (in whatever direction it ends up being) for 3000 miles?

I'll mostly be underwear, maybe a bottle of oil. A bag small enough that I can still comfortably sit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Careful with altitude and open loop. I found my ceiling on a rich OL map to be about 7000ft.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Wired up the brake lights in the Givi top case. I also put in the correct passenger peg bolts that came with the SW-Motech Alu-Rack kit. Now the side bag mounts are held on by more than 4 threads!!

http://youtu.be/VRwcPxtHjgM

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Did 98.000 km maintainance(oil, oil-filter, plugs, air-filter refresh) and replaced the stator. But, when I error checked the electrical system for errors trying to find why it didnt't charge the battery I stopped when I found one error. So I missed that the R/R is also faulty.. Back to waiting for parts.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Reattached the rear fender that rattled off at some point over the 100km trip I took that day. Thankfully the two side screws and the wiring held it on and the load bearing bolts didn't back out fully.

That makes the list of poo poo that's rattled loose on my bike: my license plate, camera (mounting bracket snapped), camera (adhesive pad tore), fairing panel, fender and about a million learner/provisional plates. Yay thumpers.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I changed the oil on my klr for the first time. Dropped about half a quart of oil in it before I realized I had not put the drain plug back in yet. Oops.

Then I did my wife's scooter. Then the lawn mower.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed out my front brake pads. Took 15 minutes; God bless America and Erik.

It took me longer to get screws off the dogbone so I could tighten down the steering head cap nut. The nut moved a bit before the torque wrench clicked and the steering doesn't seem to drag or be notchy. Hopefully that sorts out the "pop" when coming to a stop.

Also,

I crashed my friend's dad's garage where they were busy installing a new clutch cable, changing gearbox oil, and installing some aluminum swing arm mount doodads (because Harley swing arms are rubber mounted for some insane reason) on his gorgeous '98 Road King. That bike is great, it has ported heads, PM brakes, a bagger brace, rear shocks off a '07 Ultra Classic, and a low and wide beach bar. It did a 6000 mile trip last summer on a day's notice without much drama (flat tire, needed brakes bled once at high altitude).

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 28, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Changed out the OEM torture rack grips with a pair of OURYs. Trimming sticky rubber is a bitch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Changed out the OEM torture rack grips with a pair of OURYs. Trimming sticky rubber is a bitch.

Protip for the future: a big set of tin snips will work on more than tin :science:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got some longer screws and added spacers to the Windstrom screen, gonna go for a ride to check the buffeting now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a bummer the Strom doesn't do shieldless. That's how I get no buffeting at all on the Uly. Bonus: the flyscreen pops right off and goes back on almost as fast, maybe even faster since I don't have to be as careful when pushing it on.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

It's a bummer the Strom doesn't do shieldless. That's how I get no buffeting at all on the Uly. Bonus: the flyscreen pops right off and goes back on almost as fast, maybe even faster since I don't have to be as careful when pushing it on.
I cut down the Givi the PO had on and reduced a lot of it although the blast hit right at the bottom of the helmet making it ungodly loud, taking off about 2 more inches is on my to do list for a hot weather screen. I also went shieldless for a day and it was a glorious day of clean airflow, the cowling diverted the blast right into my lower chest.

Anyway, the spacers seem to work. There's enough flow under the screen to negate any vacuum the screen creates and it's quiet enough to not need earplugs all the time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Protip for the future: a big set of tin snips will work on more than tin :science:

That would help with straight cuts, but I needed to trim a circle out of the closed end of the grip since my bike has bar ends.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gave Al at American Sport Bike some dollars today. Ordered all new control cables to replace my 60,000 mile originals, and new intake seals. I hear the OEM seals are better than the Genuine James ones, so I got OEM.

Need the Ugly to be in shape for a 2500 mile trip in September.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

This motherfucker right here cost me three hours of my life. Spent way too loving long trying to break the bead and get the tyre off so I could get the old leaky tube out and get rid of this loving piece of wood that crumbled into dust as soon as I so much as looked at it. After picking pieces out of the tyre as best I could I was well and truly pissed off and managed to pinch the new tube while spooning the loving tyre back on.

I'm taking the wheel down to the local dealer tomorrow, they can deal with the loving thing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Changing dirt tires sucks until you've done enough of them to get the hang of it. In the time I owned a dirtbike I never really got the hang of it because I mostly rode DOONZ. Watching an experienced mechanic do it makes them look so easy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can do rear tires, still haven't gotten the hang of front tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put the new Beadrider on today.