Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
All props to Fix for supplying the plasma ball. I was looking across the table that battle and thinking about how many goons donated models, ideas, and bitz to make it all possible. You guys rule. Chirurgeon was even incredibly generous enough to donate a completely NIB Hive Tyrant kit so I can convert a Malanthrope.

Sulecist and SRM, I'll be mailing you guys your bitz this week to keep the Goon karma good.

In the meantime, just used some commission Paypal money to purchase my next project... Catachan Treehouse Clubhouse! No Xenos, Mutants, Heretics or Girls Allowed!!! Gonna deck it out with communications antenna, camo netting, ammo crates, emplaced weapons, creeping jungle creatures, skulls, and more. Should be loads of fun to make.

Got it for a steal, and it's going to supply enough trees to complete my jungle board. The trees look like this when painted (ignore the goopy waterfall, still need to fix it and make it look good):

If anybody hasn't raided yard sales and ebay for old toys to make into terrain, I highly recommend it. Some of my favorite terrain pieces were old toys I found in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tequila Ranger posted:

Mount it to the top of a Land Raider Redeemer in a flamer-theme Salamanders army, play the following on a loop in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EfnYwpmOE

Hollismason posted:

If I ever make terrain I will be stealing this idea.

It's to bad that you didn't go with the obviously superior choice

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mirror-madness.html

Why disco inferno when you can melt loyalist scum, literally:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I always thought a cool conversion would be to put one of those Green Light lasers in a vehicle or something, the ones that you can actually see. Probably not the greatest idea though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
A short question: does the powerfist a helbrute starts with come with a built in storm bolter or flamer? I'm waiting on a current Chaos codex yet because the one I ordered showed up misaligned from the printer, and in my first game of 7th, the other (chaos) player showing me the rules said that it didn't, it was part of an upgrade for a second fist. Didn't matter then because Punchules the Helbrute still multi-melta'd a forgefiend and rhino to death, then plastered the marines inside.

Bigger Question: There's a tourney coming up, but I've got a pair of rhinos, a big pile of plague marines (2 meltas and two plasmas), a powerfist/combi flamer champion, demon weapon/combi flamer foot lord, 5 khorne terminators, 3 bikes, a sorceror, 20 cultists, the five awkward chosen from DV and a Helbrute. Anything I should look into including? I definitely don't have anything for all these planes people have now and the other Chaos player participating has an rear end in a top hat "put a marine killing flamer template wherever you want" dragon so I should probably get on that. I do have a retro auto/lascannon predator still in the box, but that won't work by itself.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think I am probably in a minority but I think LED lights in miniatures usually looks pretty stupid but it comes down to personal taste though.

Orks are probably the only exception

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What kit would I need to look for if I wanted a left handed plasma pistol?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think the assault marine kit has one but I could be wrong. Haven't looked at that kit in years.

Having said that, just chop off the bolt pistol and chuck a plasma pistol on it. Every marine player should have about 1000 spare plasma pistols.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A short question: does the powerfist a helbrute starts with come with a built in storm bolter or flamer? I'm waiting on a current Chaos codex yet because the one I ordered showed up misaligned from the printer, and in my first game of 7th, the other (chaos) player showing me the rules said that it didn't, it was part of an upgrade for a second fist. Didn't matter then because Punchules the Helbrute still multi-melta'd a forgefiend and rhino to death, then plastered the marines inside.

Bigger Question: There's a tourney coming up, but I've got a pair of rhinos, a big pile of plague marines (2 meltas and two plasmas), a powerfist/combi flamer champion, demon weapon/combi flamer foot lord, 5 khorne terminators, 3 bikes, a sorceror, 20 cultists, the five awkward chosen from DV and a Helbrute. Anything I should look into including? I definitely don't have anything for all these planes people have now and the other Chaos player participating has an rear end in a top hat "put a marine killing flamer template wherever you want" dragon so I should probably get on that. I do have a retro auto/lascannon predator still in the box, but that won't work by itself.

It doesn't it's an upgrade for the powerfist that you pay 5 points for.

Consider taking the formation of Chaos cultists and a Helbrute.

With out making a purchase, I'd say turn those Chosen into a Havoc squad if you have the models for Missile Launchers, otherwise I'd say go with the Predator w/ Autocannon maybe?

It's kind of meh.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

If I ever make terrain I will be stealing this idea.

It's to bad that you didn't go with the obviously superior choice

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mirror-madness.html

That goes on top of a Slaneshi Pleasure Bastion.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Swapping a plasma pistol onto a Marine hand is relatively easy and clean. Do it.

I would recommend flamer bits on Land Raiders but I'm only now reading through the 7th edition rules. In previous editions you could place that "spare" template anywhere in contact with the model's edge, pretty sure that's not the case anymore. Burnas out of Ork vehicles and combi-flamers out of Chaos vehicles were nuts before.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Big Willy Style posted:

I think I am probably in a minority but I think LED lights in miniatures usually looks pretty stupid but it comes down to personal taste though.

Orks are probably the only exception

I think it depends where you put them and how well you work the colours - using them in the exhausts or under the hull of skimmers gives a neat antigrav glow, and I've seen a bunch of different completely baller Necron conversions with LEDs inside hollow chest cavities and for eyes which clearly took a ridiculous amount of fine drilling and wiring.

I'm planning to use UV LEDs in subtle ways to make the most of my glow in the dark Eldar because I doubt anyone is ever going to play me in a dark room

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really like those moveable or remote controlled tank conversions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GZnwrmHEA

They're just the coolest.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

Chirurgeon also introduced my brother and I to a new way of playing 40k, involving bidding strategy points to determine turn sequence and purchase benefits. It was lots of fun, and my brother and I played a second game to try it out. Right now we're worried we might prefer it so much that we're tempted to abandon official 40k all together.

This sounds pretty neat and I'd like to hear more!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

If anyone else is looking for one of those plasma balls, I ordered too many and have a couple extra. Probably limited to the US though or else shipping gets dumb.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Fix posted:

If anyone else is looking for one of those plasma balls, I ordered too many and have a couple extra. Probably limited to the US though or else shipping gets dumb.

Why wasn't this in your thread :mad:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

This sounds pretty neat and I'd like to hear more!

Shoot me an email at my username @gmail and I'll hook you up with the current version of the rules. Still working on a bunch of tweaks (and there are still a lot of gaps), but the early play tests have been a lot of fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What kit would I need to look for if I wanted a left handed plasma pistol?

99% sure the space wolf box has one but it's probably wolfed up in some way.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

More bikes is always a good choice, as are Spawn. Both are fast, hit hard, and are relatively cheap points-wise. In fact, consider slapping that sorcerer on a bike for some mobile death-dealing and psyker shenanigans. For anti-air you're going to be a bit lacking natively; Autocannon havocs and Forgefiends can both do the job, if somewhat poorly due to the lack of Skyfire. A Heldrake isn't a bad choice in general, but be aware that it no longer has the 360-degree turret option as of the lastest FAQ. Now it just fires in a 45-degree arc like any fixed weapon (which is a bit stupid but whatever). Other than that, you're kinda SOL for anti-air unless you take fortifications or Forgeworld.

Flying daemon Princes got a bit of a sideways change now--you can't assault the turn you switch to gliding, but you're also harder to bring down out of the air. With that said, a flying tzeentch DP with the Burning Brand is a really solid choice, since he's gonna reroll any 1s on his saves, gets to fire his S4 AP3 torrent flamer, and still cast psychic powers. Alternately, make him Nurgle for a 2+ jink save and laugh wetly. Belakor is also a great choice if you're looking for an FMC, though a bit pricey.

Additionally, check out the Helbrute Helcult formation. It involves two units of Cultists and a Helbrute, giving the Helbrute Rage and the 2 units of cultists Fearless (and if the Helbrute bites it, they get Zealot!), as well as giving the Helbrute a 3+ cover save if its being bubble-wrapped by the cultists. There's some minor downsides to it (helbrute hits a nearby cultist if it rolls a 1 in melee, and cultists die when it makes a cover save) but you're basically running a 20-wound heavy weapon.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I want to put together some Eldar Storm Guardians which are supposed to be armed with chainswords and shuriken pistols but the only conversion set that is offered has totally the wrong ration of chainswords to power swords. Here's my question, does anyone know of a third party accessory produced that makes spare chainswords that I could use for this? I know I've seen lots of Ork style weapons floating around and I seem to remember seeing some that would work for Eldar but haven't been able to find a manufacturer for them with Google. Any thoughts on this one?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Looks like White Scars / Imperial Knight won the BAO, with Tyranids getting knocked out completely.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm not surprised there, ImpKnights are a real uphill battle for 'Nids as their main competitive army list can't deal with AV13 that well, especially when it's practically immune to the damage chart. Also, losing Spores was a huge hit to the effectiveness of Zoanthropes.

What's the initiative of a Knight? The only time I played against one personally was when I was using my GK so the only way I could hurt them in melee was at I1 anyway so it didn't matter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think they are initiative 3 or 4.

I've never had a problem with them like others have as I play Necrons, CSM, CD. So may just be me.

Every game I've played I blew them the gently caress up each time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Believe it or not, I occasionally do things for this game other than bitch about GW. Such as these Space Wolves I just finished photographing for the Oath thread:

They're not terrible, but I'm less pleased with them than I have been with a lot of my recent work. I think part of it was that I overestimated my enthusiasm for painting an army that I have no intention of playing anytime soon. By the end of it, I just wanted to notch them off so I could stop thinking about them for a while. :effort:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
You know what's an even bigger blow to Zoanthropes? Whole units failing to cast anything because they didn't get enough 4+ rolls or got blocked by Deny The Witch.

I'm really digging the new Psychic rules but as usual, Tyranids: go get hosed. :(

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
They look drat good. Much better than the Crimson Fists I'm trying to wrap up for my oath tonight.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

You know what's an even bigger blow to Zoanthropes? Whole units failing to cast anything because they didn't get enough 4+ rolls or got blocked by Deny The Witch.

I'm really digging the new Psychic rules but as usual, Tyranids: go get hosed. :(

Don't remind me :negative:
You could always throw a bucket of dice at the power and risk forgetting Warp Blast for the whole brood, but it's a high price to pay to get a single round of anti-armour.

Hollismason posted:

I think they are initiative 3 or 4.

Oh, well that sucks. They'll be striking before most Monstrous Creatures (and with D close combat weapons, it's hard to *not* kill them).
ImpKnights are cool models but they do not feel balanced at all from what I've seen, especially if you get that one sperglord who fields nothing but Knights in 1850pts, usually meaning most of your army is literally incapable of damaging them. While Land Raiders used to be intimidating as hell, at least a lucky meltagun could drop one in a single shot. Knights are a Superheavy with all the benefits (shoot multiple targets, can't be one-shot from a lucky penetration roll, fast movement) without the drawback of giving the enemy bonus victory points for damaging/destroying it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least a unit of zoanthropes doesn't have to pass three psychic tests to shoot anymore. :unsmith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Buffchix and Chirurgeon, I'm jealous that you guys live close enough to each other to actually play with each other. You guys are doing 40k the right way. And thanks again for sending me the Librarian! You'll see him painted up once he gets here.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

At least a unit of zoanthropes doesn't have to pass three psychic tests to shoot anymore. :unsmith:

They weren't drawing from a limited dice pool though. On the plus side, if you fail one test the other two have a chance to do stuff too.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

ImpKnights are cool models but they do not feel balanced at all from what I've seen, especially if you get that one sperglord who fields nothing but Knights in 1850pts, usually meaning most of your army is literally incapable of damaging them. While Land Raiders used to be intimidating as hell, at least a lucky meltagun could drop one in a single shot. Knights are a Superheavy with all the benefits (shoot multiple targets, can't be one-shot from a lucky penetration roll, fast movement) without the drawback of giving the enemy bonus victory points for damaging/destroying it.
The standard response is that you just beat them by playing to objectives. A full Knight army at 1850 can only claim five objectives, and if you're Battle-Forged, you can claim over them. They're also slowed a respectable amount going through difficult terrain, and they have a very wide footprint - properly designed boards cause them to stumble onwards. On top of that, they can be dragged into combats that last forever, even through stomps, as long as you have a way to keep morale in check and keep feeding in bodies. Plus, their shooting isn't too strong - Battlecannons are mean, but hang in some trees and you'll be alright. If they're just a single Knight, give it a wide space and killing the other stuff first can work as well. Pretty much the best way to handle them if you're stuck against them.

However, they're still dick to play against for a ton of armies, simply because they are a pain in the rear end to kill, can't go down in one go, are mean as hell in CC, and can take out their attackers when they go down. D is just vicious, since some armies really rely on MCs to flip tanks over, and if you fail to pummel down AV 13 in one go, it can carve you up. (Goodnight, sweet Prince. RIP Be'Lakor.) Hot dice on the Stomp can remove a lot of the units that can pit it as well, and gives extra chances to finish off other units with a lucky D Hit. (Goodnight, second Prince that tried to handle that goddamn Knight.)

I've taken to asking my friends to leave it at home in casual games, or at least give me an advance warning if they plan on bring it. I just don't have the models to really handle them - a Daemon Prince might butcher Leman Russes and Land Raiders, but the Knight is a different thing. If you know you are facing one, a couple mobile AT units with whatever you normally pack works alright - either they shield Lascannons to the front, or Meltas to the side. They'll still take awhile to kill - and sometimes it works best to just ignore them, as noted about - but they can be dropped. They're still loving dick, though.

One other thing we've done locally is just count Knights as Lords of War when taken as a single model. The extra VP for mangling it is nice (normally balancing out First Blood, in my experience,) and it keeps people from plopping down a Baneblade variant and a Knight, which is like 14 HP before the shield or cover soaks shots, and is completely dick to play against unless you are tooled to handle it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Would anyone happen to have one of the old Mordian Lieutenants lying around? This guy:

I need a senior officer for my 2nd ed Cadians and they unfortunately never made a suitable model for a senior Cadian officer. I've got the fat dude with a shotgun, but he's a platoon commander at best.

For history's sake, there was a Cadian Lieutenant model that was sculpted, but they never produced it:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah, I felt how stupid stomps were when I played against 4 in 2500pts. Second turn he scored a 6 and RFP'd my GK Librarian along with 4 other GKTs.

Tarpitting them just doesn't work either when they can challenge (wounds spill out into the rest combat now which makes it even more stupid, since the Knight is now in a 1v1 while the rest of the squad can do nothing but stand there cheering), and then they can still stomp the rest of the squad afterwards. Also, don't they ignore difficult terrain?

In that game I did not feel bad in the slightest for taking a Thunderhawk. At least he got a free VP out of it when it flew too close to his Mortis Contemptor, since T-Hawks actually follow all the superheavy rules, not just the ones that benefit them :v:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Tarpitting them just doesn't work either when they can challenge (wounds spill out into the rest combat now which makes it even more stupid, since the Knight is now in a 1v1 while the rest of the squad can do nothing but stand there cheering), and then they can still stomp the rest of the squad afterwards. Also, don't they ignore difficult terrain?
Challenges in 7th now let the other models in a squad attack a challenged model IF it is the only target at their step to attack, which is cool. Means that you can no longer lock a single character into a challenge while everyone else twirls their dicks. Knights also have Move through Cover, which, RAW, is only 2D6 pick the highest to try and waddle over that barricade when moving. 3D6, picking the two highest, is the most popular interpretation, though. Move through Cover also ignores some of the penalties for charging into cover, though I can't remember which ones and my book isn't handy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Conan the Librarian posted:

I want to put together some Eldar Storm Guardians which are supposed to be armed with chainswords and shuriken pistols but the only conversion set that is offered has totally the wrong ration of chainswords to power swords. Here's my question, does anyone know of a third party accessory produced that makes spare chainswords that I could use for this? I know I've seen lots of Ork style weapons floating around and I seem to remember seeing some that would work for Eldar but haven't been able to find a manufacturer for them with Google. Any thoughts on this one?

Seconding this rather than helping, I have a guardian squad I want to convert too but the GW kit is costly and I didn't even know about the weapon imbalance in it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

Challenges in 7th now let the other models in a squad attack a challenged model IF it is the only target at their step to attack, which is cool. Means that you can no longer lock a single character into a challenge while everyone else twirls their dicks. Knights also have Move through Cover, which, RAW, is only 2D6 pick the highest to try and waddle over that barricade when moving. 3D6, picking the two highest, is the most popular interpretation, though. Move through Cover also ignores some of the penalties for charging into cover, though I can't remember which ones and my book isn't handy.

Wasn't it 2d6 double the highest for models that move 12" like how it used to be for Beasts back in 4th-5th?
The other two hammers in the squad being able to smack the ImpKnight is good to know though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can anybody think of any large flag bits kind of like the one with the cadian command squad that are both plastic and flowing?

I'm looking for something longer, probably, more banner-like. Could be from any range, really, unless it's sculpted to be obviously representing something not Guard.

Failing that, anybody happen to have a cadian flag just lying around?

e: Oh, snap this one is even better:

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 28, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Posting my Bullgryn from the painting thread

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Bretonnian peasant kits have a decent flowing banner that could suit, as does the Empire State Troops set although that one's a bit more detailed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fix posted:

Can anybody think of any large flag bits kind of like the one with the cadian command squad that are both plastic and flowing?

I'm looking for something longer, probably, more banner-like. Could be from any range, really, unless it's sculpted to be obviously representing something not Guard.

I've got both of those left over and I'd be willing to mail them over but I've got no idea about the international shipping costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Fix posted:

The flag from the Ravenwing command squad is the biggest one I can think of:

• Locked thread