Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I never really got a full story on what happened to the official forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone know when the box will be out?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

Scenario Missions
Looks awesome, if you can get the exact mission rules (like the bonus boxes/TAG tuning you mentioned) that would help greatly.

Fix posted:

So I never really got a full story on what happened to the official forums.
No one did. It was all part of Operation: Shitstorm.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Holy poo poo. I just finished my first 2 games with my Aleph stuff. It felt like cheating. I basically tabled my opponents both games. That MSV2 + shooting through your own smoke gag is not fair.

Also Myrmidons are ridiculous for their points.

Is it common for this game to be really one sided?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

First couple games yeah. Its really easy to get your rear end handed to you before you learn what youre doing. Similarly, tricks like MSV+Smoke or AD work really well until opponents learn to expect those too

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Some factions also have more problems against MSV+Smoke than others. I always feel like my Ariadna and Nomads opponents have the biggest issues, with the former having by far the most problems.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Whats the advantages in playing vanilla over sectorial? Link teams seem like they are amazingly powerful. Specifically, im asking about vanilla PanO and NeoTerra.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pierzak posted:

No one did. It was all part of Operation: Shitstorm.

Let me rephrase. I didn't catch even the basic version. The forums are going away or something?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Fix posted:

Let me rephrase. I didn't catch even the basic version. The forums are going away or something?

CB decided to shut them down. We don't know why.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the advantages in playing vanilla over sectorial? Link teams seem like they are amazingly powerful. Specifically, im asking about vanilla PanO and NeoTerra.
Short version, Cutter. Long version, you can mix and match awesome units from various sectorials as well as those that do not have sectorials.

Fix posted:

Yes, the official forums (both English and Spanish) will be read-only from August 1, and will be taken down entirely on October 1.

Acceptableloss posted:

Holy poo poo. I just finished my first 2 games with my Aleph stuff. It felt like cheating. I basically tabled my opponents both games. That MSV2 + shooting through your own smoke gag is not fair.

Everything is broken and OP in Infinity until you discover its hilariously broken counter :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Acceptableloss posted:

We usually give ALEPH the moniker of being the noob power gaming faction ala Space Marines, their powerful stuff is REALLY obvious to newer players when some of the power stuff of other factions like Ariadna can be a bit harder to appreciate. All the factions are busted as gently caress though.

DJ Dizzy posted:

NeoTerra are even slower than vanilla PanO at forward deploying and it's a pretty huge downside when you start playing in tournaments and heavy scenario play. Also you miss out on the Cutter and great units like the Nisse and Commando Akal.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

PANOCEANIA
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 9 0 0

CUTTER MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 117)
COMMANDO AKAL Combi Rifle / Pistol, CCW. (23)
FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
DE FERSEN Hacker (Hacking Device) Spitfire / Pistol, Templar CCW (AP + Shock). (2 | 65)
NISSE MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 41)
FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
FUSILIER (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (14)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 4

Would this work? I'm building off the starter set and the new fusi sculpts. (Also, I dont know which kind of thing that bad-rear end knight from operation icestorm is)

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Flipswitch posted:

We usually give ALEPH the moniker of being the noob power gaming faction ala Space Marines, their powerful stuff is REALLY obvious to newer players when some of the power stuff of other factions like Ariadna can be a bit harder to appreciate. All the factions are busted as gently caress though.

Oops. I guess I'm the noob power gamer then. I didn't buy the starter box and started with Myrmidons, devas and netrods instead.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Acceptableloss posted:

Oops. I guess I'm the noob power gamer then. I didn't buy the starter box and started with Myrmidons, devas and netrods instead.
ye u scrub

But yeah, over here we only use it to wind up our two ALEPH players. :) They're just as balanced as other factions, it's just harder to appreciate if you're not looking for it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The chainrifle myrm likely could jump a point or two upwards. But Pretas and the chasseurs split the "too many goodies for the points" award, in my book.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, a lot of the more fearsome units in Infinity just pay for all the cool skills - they're not actually too much better an equivalent weight of cheap units, they just lend themselves to aggressive play or certain gambits (like TO HI or the cutter, or intruders, or any other model with some of the really good special rules). The units which are closest to being broken good are the super cheap ones IMO.

Anyway I played in my first ITS tournament. Ineptmule, shame you missed it. I came 14th (of 24) and our Morat buddy came 7th. We both won 2 hard fought games and got pounded once. Is it me or does the ITS system swing heavily based on how many points you pick up? Like I got 5 objective points from each win, and the guys who won the tourney were the ones taking like 10 points from 1 big win. It seems like you really need to grab all the points to win. My first game I wiped my opponent at the end of turn 2 - so we were playing Quadrant Control, and I didn't get so many points as you earn them turn by turn. It might have actually been a stronger win for me if I had held off a bit.

The loss I took was horrible though. 3 models - a Dao Fei and 2 Tiger Soldiers just walked through my entire force. I killed 1 of the tigers and 1 ninja sniper.

Tables were a bit too open, obviously it is really hard for any club/store to assemble enough solid terrain for 12 infinity tables. Some of what they had was lent by various MDF terrain companies and was a very cool showcase of the competing options. Warmill stuff is amazing, though obviously quite expensive. Bandua is probably the cheapest practical-simple option. System A makes the best walkways. Don't actually care for the Micro Art Studio of Plastcraft stuff too much. Personally I am waiting on Antenociti to bring out his long-awaited terrain kickstarter.

Steel Phalanx were very prevalent at the tourney and did really well. My friend's Morats got steam rolled by 3x3 links plus achilles!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

obviously it is really hard for any club/store to assemble enough solid terrain for 12 infinity tables

:getin:

Those are 2 separate rooms for the same tournament. Did I mention we have an active Infinity meta? :v:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
To be honest mate the tables in the foregrounds of those pictures look pretty much like the better tables at the event I just went to. Still maybe a bit too open - eg the top one you show has good buildings but not enough scatter terrain. Some of the tables I went too were much poorer. I just think even when the event organisers make an effort and understand the needs of the game, inevitably terrain is stretched thinner than it would be if setting up 1 'ideal' infinity table.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm also pretty amped about this:

Which will probably be a link box of these guys.

edit: hadn't seen these before:

Autocannon maybe, on a Yu Jing HI? :getin:.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 27, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Man, the new HI designs are just sick across the board. I like the Yu Jing ones immensely, would love to play against a proper HI-heavy army. (not just cause I have hackers, I swear) The new mobile brigada is outstanding as well and I cannot wait for them to release a box set of 4. I will run a 5-brigada link very happily. The new ORC troop, on the other hand, is a bit too wasp-waisted, the model just looks strangely proportioned. But that will be less evident on the tabletop than in face-on close-ups.

I saw in the Icestorm video that Brigadas and ORCs are both listed as MOV 4-4, which is a big change. Pure speculation, but I would like it if all infantry were 4-4. It's a rather arbitrary distinction at the moment. Frankly it is almost a trap that so many elite models are 4-2, and I think it is a big part of why so many 'good' ITS lists and players seldom use them, except when they bring an irreplaceable skill or piece of kit to the army.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it's an autocannon. I posted up the whole of that spoiler set a long time ago in this thread.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's supposed to be a Hyper-Rapid Magnetic Cannon :getin:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It has both doesn't it? I dunno I can barely read the rules for it and it's Yu Jing, so they'll only complain that it's bad anyway.

That's why the forums are bad, Yu Jing players are terrible.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

It has both doesn't it? I dunno I can barely read the rules for it and it's Yu Jing, so they'll only complain that it's bad anyway.

That's why the forums are bad, Yu Jing players are terrible.

t:mad: At least not bottom of the barrel like PanO :v:

(It's supposed to have the HRMC or dual MLs)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey I'm not the one making threads in my faction subforum complaining my HI suck compared to other factions.

I'm too busy lamenting lack of TAG releases instead. :smith:

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
One day we might have a model to go along with the rules for Ariadna TAG in the rule book :gbsmith:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Genghis Cohen posted:

they just lend themselves to aggressive play or certain gambits (like TO HI or the cutter,

Can you expand on how the cutter works well?

I just rescued one off eBay without knowing much about them (besides that it is a cool model)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This might have been covered but I didn't see it: do we have a price for the new starter set?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

S.J. posted:

This might have been covered but I didn't see it: do we have a price for the new starter set?

89,95€. http://www.infinitythegame.com/store/articulo.php?f=1&o=3&id=2344

The Warstore is selling it for $100. http://www.thewarstore.com/product93647.html

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

drat, that's not a bad price at all.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Tentacle Party posted:

Can you expand on how the cutter works well?

I just rescued one off eBay without knowing much about them (besides that it is a cool model)

TO Camo is very powerful on a TAG, allowing it to deploy hidden and giving everyone shooting at him when revealed a -6 modifier to their roll. That combined with ARM 8 and BTS -6 make it very hard to kill, and BS 15 makes it dangerous to try.

The Multi HMG also shoots explosive bullets :black101: and has crazy good range modifiers. +3 out to 32" is almost as good as a sniper rifle.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Not sure if this is kosher, but I'm selling my infinity miniatures on SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653800

If the pricing looks off on items because they're outdated or whatever, just let me know since I don't actually play Infinity

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So I, uh, accidentally* dropped $170 on terrain yesterday :suicide: at least I should have 2 tables in case I want to run demos or something?

* they were cheap and a last-minute order doesn't leave much time for second thoughts

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Pierzak posted:

So I, uh, accidentally* dropped $170 on terrain yesterday :suicide: at least I should have 2 tables in case I want to run demos or something?

At least you probably have people to play with on your masses of terrain :( Mine are glorified diorama pieces at this point.

Anyways, Beasts of War had a simple beginners batrep with the new starter, and there were a few new rules drops. Nothing extensive, but for those that can't be arsed watching they were basically:

1.Measurements are now done from edge to edge of bases in opposed to the center.
2.Can't quite remember this one, but climbing on a wall without ladders etc. is no longer a physical roll, it's just a full action to get up there (within movement distance of course).
3.Dodging in ARO always moves 2 inches instead of half the models movement value. Seems to be a new skill called Kinematics which increase that dodge range, which seemed to have been implemented for more chances to get into melee range.

Nothing mind blowing right now, though it would be interesting to see if they make melee more viable. I think there's a more advanced batrep later in the week which they promise will show off more stuff.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm glad they are making climbing a little more feasible. I assume climbing plus will retain the ability to let people move normally up the vertical, and to fire from climbing positions. Overall the rules for jumping, eg through windows, climbing over barricades, etc, could be simplified and made clearer.

Biggest change so far, probably the combat camo rules? I also think the move to silhouettes will make LoF much, much easier to achieve. There are a lot of situations where a model is just hidden by some scatter terrain, and a silhouette would probably be visible.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Let's summarize the changes we know (not all from the BoW videos):

1) Loss of Lt. changes your force to irregular for a turn, but you get to elect a new Lt. for free at the end of it.
2) Climbing is a Long Skill, but does not involve a die roll. Ladders officially allow you to move up and down them as normal movement.
3) Distance is edge-to-edge instead of center-to-center.
4) There are universal silhouette templates to resolve line of sight disputes.
5) ARO dodge is simplified to universal 2".
6) The Lt. Order is it's own type of order instead of being a regular order with a bunch of special rules attached.
7) Combat camo surprise attacks add an additional modifier instead of forcing normal rolls.

Anything else? I imagine they'll have tweaked stuff like jumping, but we haven't had it confirmed yet. And there are new unit abilities to go along with new stats in N3. Presumably Religious will change, since now all armies effectively get the old Religious benefit.

All of these changes look good to me. The climbing change is huge in a great way, as are the new Lt. and Loss of Lt. rules. And combat camo changing. gently caress, it's all great.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, I am super optimistic about all of those things, and the following which I have also heard:

Weapons are being rebalanced: snipers have a lower max range (which was far longer than any infnity table) and a greater +3 range than before. Shotguns are rumoured (not confirmed) to be +6 at close range - certainly the designers mentioned 'rebalancing shotguns' so I have high hopes for weapon rebalancing overall.

Morale and Hacking are both confirmed to be greatly expanded/completely rewritten. Morale changes are obvious from what we know about LoL. There are rumoured to be both more hacking and more EVO functions.

Again, a big curiousity of mine is how they will update rules and profiles not originally contained in the core rulebook. Weapons and the value of skills will change dramatically and so it is only natural to expect lots of profiles to at least be adjusted in points values. Apart from profile balance, it remains to be seen how they deal with equipment+weapons+skills introduced in HS and Paradiso. Beyond those profile-centric changes I think the only major rules in the subsequent books are campaigns (don't really need changing) and link team rules - will these bolt smoothly onto the new N3 stuff? Will link team rules be updated in time? Who knows.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I love the Loss of Lieutnant change. I also heard that the visors will not be an all-or-nothing proposition: MSV1 will knock down ODD and TO penalties to -3 instead of doing nothing. This seems a bit too powerful to me, assome models are pricedhigh because their high MSV is such a boon and because TO camo is so hard to counter, but it'll likely be alright if tru.

I sort of hope for a general point-cost revision.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Carlos mentioned in the first BoW video that the Reverend Healer would (probably) be able to link with regular Moiras. I assume that link teams aren't changing at all in N3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The changes to LoL give me high hopes that the Morat rule will have its effects and cost revised, along with hopefully doing something about the cool, flavorful ability that Daturazi have (Coma) that is utterly wasted points in a Morat Sectorial. :v:

All of those changes (even the visor one) make me pretty drat happy, since MSV1 was kind of garbage before.

• Locked thread