Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why didn't The Hulk just beat Loki to death? Why stop beating on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

razorrozar posted:

Return of the Jedi had a lot of problems, tbh.

I am irritated by Ewoks. Is that irrational?

Ewoks are like the most criticized part of the original trilogy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inzombiac posted:

Hawkeye is the comedic relief, right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

oldpainless posted:

Because then it wouldn't have been funny. Leaving him wheezing was hilarious.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Kingdom posted:

Because then it wouldn't have been funny. Leaving him wheezing was hilarious.

"Puny god" is one of the best moments of that movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

And that reminds me of the scene in Jedi where Han gets Lando to promise to bring the Falcon back without a scratch. You half expected the Falcon to be destroyed, but it comes back without its radar dish and Han says nothing.

The Falcon was actually supposed to be destroyed (caught in the Death Star's explosion), hence the foreshadowing lines like "Got this funny feeling, like I'm not gonna see her again".

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Plus I imagine Thor would have been a little pissed, adopted brother or not. I think they also might have wanted that drat illegal alien :bahgawd: shipped back to his own country dimensional plane to be dealt with under their local laws.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Jul 27, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

oldpainless posted:

Because it would be really out of tone with the rest of the movie if Hulk just wailed on Loki until he was red paste. Also superheroes aren't supposed to kill people.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Away all Goats posted:

Because it would be really out of tone with the rest of the movie if Hulk just wailed on Loki until he was red paste. Also superheroes aren't supposed to kill people.

All right, it was mostly the aliens, but the principle holds. Superheroes cause vast amounts of collateral damage that you're not supposed to think about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that always bugs me about thrillers where the main character is framed and on the run are how violent they are to cops who are just doing their jobs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

razorrozar posted:

All right, it was mostly the aliens, but the principle holds. Superheroes cause vast amounts of collateral damage that you're not supposed to think about.

You'll notice not a single civilian dies on screen either. That's what I meant by tone

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

(Man of steel finale)

Yea, heroes tend to blow up a lot of poo poo, but hey, no one would give a gently caress if someone invaded Ohio and the vast battle of "Yonder Creek". I'd loving buy a ticket in a heartbeat if they had the Hulk wailing on some dude with a cow though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

(Man of steel finale)

Yea, heroes tend to blow up a lot of poo poo, but hey, no one would give a gently caress if someone invaded Ohio and the vast battle of "Yonder Creek".

Which is why Marvel's United States is pretty much just New York City. DC even has three New Yorks so they never have to leave.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that they basically never show the dog and/or other animals dying because it'd be ~too sad~. Whenever there is carnage everywhere, if there is an animal on screen, the safest place for any human to be is within a three foot radius of the drat thing.

edit: In fact, in Man of Steel, not showing the dog dying is a critical(ly stupid) plot point. :allears:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, even those annoying little yipping dogs don't get killed. Punted maybe, but never killed.

I was amazed when, in Mars Attacks, they not only vaporized a dog, but it was the President's dog!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

muscles like this? posted:

Something that always bugs me about thrillers where the main character is framed and on the run are how violent they are to cops who are just doing their jobs.

A lot of movies skirt this by having the cop act like an rear end in a top hat first.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, even those annoying little yipping dogs don't get killed. Punted maybe, but never killed.

I was amazed when, in Mars Attacks, they not only vaporized a dog, but it was the President's dog!
Snakes on a Plane. :colbert:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have said "never." Rarely.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

A lot of movies skirt this by having the cop act like an rear end in a top hat first.

Are there any movies were the hero proves their innocence, but gets promptly arrested anyway for assaulting officers and resisting arrest?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Fugitive had that, I think. Kimball gets arrested at the end before they do the whole "gonna drop charges" thing.

Pretty sure anyway, it's been a long time since I saw that movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Canemacar posted:

Are there any movies were the hero proves their innocence, but gets promptly arrested anyway for assaulting officers and resisting arrest?

Technically happens in Max Payne (the video game, not the movie). Max has secured JUST enough evidence of the baddies' wrongdoings to preserve his innocence along with the help of the corrupt dude on the inside, but he gets arrested at the end of the game anyway because, despite being a cop, he did kinda go on a big gunslinging mobster-killing rampage through new york that ended with the murder of the CEO of one of the nation's biggest pharmaceutical companies.

By Max Payne 2 he's back on the force as a detective so obviously it didn't stick v:v:v

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Fugitive had that, I think. Kimball gets arrested at the end before they do the whole "gonna drop charges" thing.

Pretty sure anyway, it's been a long time since I saw that movie.

Yeah, the arrest was for show and Tommy Lee Jones (who was a dick for most of the film) uncuffs Ford in the back of the police car.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Canemacar posted:

The A-Team movie did that. Pretty sure Liam Neeson gets a line like "Even if you were wrongly imprisoned, it's still a crime to break out of jail".

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

By Max Payne 2 he's back on the force as a detective so obviously it didn't stick v:v:v

Well, he did have the Illuminati promising him that the charges wouldn't stick right before he attacks Aesir. That's a pretty good ace up your sleeve :v:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I like that they basically never show the dog and/or other animals dying because it'd be ~too sad~. Whenever there is carnage everywhere, if there is an animal on screen, the safest place for any human to be is within a three foot radius of the drat thing.

This was the most bitched about scene in The Toxic Avenger by the way. Not the kid's head getting popped under a car wheel. When they shoot the seeing eye dog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite one is the infamous scene where DC gets blown the gently caress up in Independence Day and they show a dog leaping away from the massive fireball to safety after literally hundreds of humans are vaporized on-camera in the preceding 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydpulKkJ-Q&t=200s

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ewok were awesome when I was a kid and they are awesome now. How can you not love fuzzy little people eating bears?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jedi has best space battle, best land battle, best lightsaber fight. It is the best of the ot. Also lolling at nerds bitching about ewoks. Oh god, this entire galaxy full of weird poo poo wait what the gently caress is that teddy bear my immersssssioon nooooo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I thought Ewoks were alright in theory. The whole "Soulful nature vs. Heartless Technology" angle is very star wars-y.

It might have gone over better if they kept the original idea for ewoks to be wookies.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
re: Audiences reacting to violence against animals/humans:

I saw Roger and Me in a high school class, and I remember the whole class busting out laughing when the police gun down that mentally-ill guy, but when that crazy lady kills a rabbit they were horrified and complained to the teacher about it. Really bothered me even as a clueless teen.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Well, he did have the Illuminati promising him that the charges wouldn't stick right before he attacks Aesir. That's a pretty good ace up your sleeve :v:

The same Illuminati that, minutes after meeting them, are wiped out by Aesir's goons, with only Woden surviving.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mister Kingdom posted:

And that reminds me of the scene in Jedi where Han gets Lando to promise to bring the Falcon back without a scratch. You half expected the Falcon to be destroyed, but it comes back without its radar dish and Han says nothing.

This gets a great reference in one of the EU books (wait poo poo, it's "Legends" now isn't it?), The Last Command. The characters go to a planet and Han has some trouble setting the ship down, and comes really close to crash-landing. Lando says something to the effect of "Nice landing there, real smooth," and Han replies "At least I haven't lost the radar dish :smug:"

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

re: Audiences reacting to violence against animals/humans:

I saw Roger and Me in a high school class, and I remember the whole class busting out laughing when the police gun down that mentally-ill guy, but when that crazy lady kills a rabbit they were horrified and complained to the teacher about it. Really bothered me even as a clueless teen.
I watched Blackfish in grade 12 and the thing that horrified my classmates (they had their hands to their mouths and looked like they were about to cry) the most was when a group of orcas ate a seal. They also cooed over how cute Tillikum is, which was kind of weird, considering that he's killed 3 people so far and the film really goes into detail about it.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Celery Face posted:

I watched Blackfish in grade 12 and the thing that horrified my classmates (they had their hands to their mouths and looked like they were about to cry) the most was when a group of orcas ate a seal. They also cooed over how cute Tillikum is, which was kind of weird, considering that he's killed 3 people so far and the film really goes into detail about it.

It was tough watching nature documentaries with my mother because she has a real soft spot for animals and doesn't bare watching them getting killed on screen. Especially since orcas and crocodiles were and are my favorite animals, so i just had to tell her verbally how fascinating i found it the way orca pods hunt down seals and stuff while she avoided the nasty parts. Although one thing that even i have trouble watching in nature flicks is when orcas hunt and kill grey whale calfs.

Anyone seen War Horse? I haven't, but from the looks of it i think i'll would have trouble rooting much for a horse in the middle of WWI where actual people are fed into a metaphorical grinder in droves. Really puts me off from seeing the movie, but i could be wrong, as i haven't seen it.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
For all your dog dieing needs.

http://doesthedogdie.com/

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In every Star Trek TNG movie/show, why does Data not have the capability not to shake around when the ship gets shot.

He has a million servos and can do a trillion calculations per nanosecond or whatever. Why does he wobble like the rest of em? Quit trying so hard, robot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

For all your dog dieing needs.

http://doesthedogdie.com/
Disappointed Cannibal Holocaust isn't on that list.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trillian takes Arthur to the kitchen and shows him a neat little gizmo that makes whatever you're craving. Why didn't Arthur just get a cup of tea out of the damned thing?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Razorwired posted:

So in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trillian takes Arthur to the kitchen and shows him a neat little gizmo that makes whatever you're craving. Why didn't Arthur just get a cup of tea out of the damned thing?

It straight up didn't understand tea. "He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mind you, it was perfectly capable of making a truly exquisite cup of tea, it's just that it needed the calculating power of the entire ship's computer to do it and left it incapacitated during a nuclear missile attack.