Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Korak posted:

What happened for those of us watching just the Modern stream?

Omniscience, Enter the Infinite (leaving Emrakul on top), Cunning Wish for Release the Ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

The Leylines deck got a deck tech, if anyone was interested. Looks like a hoot to play.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ugh Alex on to the semi finals.

The Leylines deck is incredibly fun to play. I think someone is in the top 64 with it this weekend at the Worcester event?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qbert posted:

Has Emrakul ever lost to a Draco in a Release the Ants clash? Because that would be the best moment ever.

I doubt it's ever happened, but there may have been an Emrakul tie at some point.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Night Danger Moose posted:

The Leylines deck got a deck tech, if anyone was interested. Looks like a hoot to play.

Oh god that's hilarious. It could conceivably win on turn 1 with a perfect draw.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"Why did you bring this to the table today?"
"I did not want to play long games of legacy."

:allears:

EDIT:
"People say dredge doesn't play Magic. I believe this deck plays less Magic."

God, I love legacy.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 27, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I heard Bertoncini is under investigation again or something, is that true? I can't find a source.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I just started watching the GP; has it looked like someone dipped the cameras in vaseline this whole time? Also, apparently WotC finally got the memo and stole SCG's tarmogoyf dice, but they're not using them for some reason.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I will say this for the Blue Moon player: he knows how to play his deck. Held off a Thrun equipped with Batterskull and Sword for like 10 turns.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've wanted to put that Leyline deck together for a while but I can't bring myself to spend the money on 2-3 more Serra Sanctums. It is tempting, though...

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

qbert posted:

I will say this for the Blue Moon player: he knows how to play his deck. Held off a Thrun equipped with Batterskull and Sword for like 10 turns.
I think more than that. That was pretty incredible.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

qbert posted:

Korak posted:

I think more than that. That was pretty incredible.

Anyone have a link or info on the match so I can find a vid?

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 27, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

DoctorOozy posted:

Do you have a link or info on the match so I can find a vid?
The current /Magic/ stream from Worcester, Quarter Finals Jund vs Blue Moon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've wanted to put that Leyline deck together for a while but I can't bring myself to spend the money on 2-3 more Serra Sanctums. It is tempting, though...

My store does proxy Modern on Mondays but takes one Monday a month to do proxy Legacy, if this month's Legacy wasn't tomorrow I'd definitely slap it together and take it.

E: Just realized Helm with Leyline of the Void in play mills their entire library :shepface:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 27, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My store does proxy Modern on Mondays but takes one Monday a month to do proxy Legacy, if this month's Legacy wasn't tomorrow I'd definitely slap it together and take it.

E: Just realized Helm with Leyline of the Void in play mills their entire library :shepface:

Even better, it mills to exile. Singleton Emrakuls won't save them and Dredge/Breakfast Burrito don't get any benefit from it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm a bit sad that the commentary crew didn't catch the Explosives line as soon as he dropped Hierarch. I was losing my poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Woop woop, gently caress Alex.

And thank god Hagon isn't commentating the finals.

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Korak posted:

The current /Magic/ stream from Worcester, Quarter Finals Jund vs Blue Moon.

I'm going to join in the pile-on about the crap camera quality. ATT hates Twitch, but the stream from SCG at Medium is prettier than WotC at High.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

GonSmithe posted:

Woop woop, gently caress Alex.

And thank god Hagon isn't commentating the finals.
What happened to Alex? Did he get blown the gently caress out or DQ'd?
e: vvv Did it happen on stream?

neetengie fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 28, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neetengie posted:

He got Jund'ed.

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

neetengie posted:

e: vvv Did it happen on stream?

Nope.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Yep, and Wafo-Tapa didn't even violate an NDA. He never signed one. His friend got access to the God Book and showed it to him. He wasn't even the one who leaked it.

The biggest strike against him for that whole incident was really about getting some extra testing time before the set was announced. The only reason he got suspended by Wizards, though, was because the incident cost them money.

I heard that too and that makes his suspension even more BS to me. When you sign up to the dci you agree to abide by certain rules. If what he did has no relation to what's written down in those rules, what basis do they have for penalizing him?

e : That's not to say it wasn't bad for magic in general though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Playing against Joe Lossett's miracles seems like misery. It's this bizarre combination of fair and unfair things that also virtually unsures your match goes to time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ashiok on SCG legacy stream! :woop:

(One turn 3 of extra turns. :v:)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Meanwhile, Counterbalance fails to get the win by a turn. Heartbreaking.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
That was a cool finals in Boston. I have to admit I hate Jund less, even though I still have Bob/Goyf envy.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I just had a thought. Some asked MaRo

quote:

thatgingerdreadman said: I had always thought that morph was on the high end of the storm scale due to judges complaining about being called to make sure it was actually a morph creature so often. What made the design team decide to try it again?

A wonderful question which I will address during a preview week article.

What if they decided to use double faced card tech to give morph cards a creature back? No reason why they couldn't right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

jassi007 posted:

What if they decided to use double faced card tech to give morph cards a creature back? No reason why they couldn't right?

Still gonna be quite annoying as everyone plays with sleeved cards, and you would have to pull the card out each time to prove it's a morph card.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

jassi007 posted:

MaRo said they didn't like how double faced cards turned out. I don't think they're doing that again unless there's some new piece of tech about it.

edit: I guess I'm wrong, from MaRo's AMA 2 years ago "Double-faced Cards: A giant swath of design space. In fact, there's a giant untapped area I already have tagged for the next time we use it (yeah, I said next - it's not soon though)."

Korak fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

qbert posted:

Still gonna be quite annoying as everyone plays with sleeved cards, and you would have to pull the card out each time to prove it's a morph card.

And if you used the checklist cards instead, you'd have to call a judge anyhow to have them verify that the card you were setting aside really was a checklist card and that the card you were putting into play in its place really was the correct card checked on the checklist.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Korak posted:

MaRo said they didn't like how double faced cards turned out. I don't think they're doing that again unless there's some new piece of tech about it.

No he didn't. He's said the opposite, repeatedly - DFCs have a lot of design space and they'll appear in numerous future blocks.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/70439110628/where-do-you-think-were-more-likely-to-see-dfcs

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I usully make it a point to watch legacy opens or modern/legacy GP streams, but I've been entranced all weekend with the shotgun lotus Vintage Rotisserie Draft replay from Sunday: http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus/b/551471062

It's really great, recommended if you like any/all of legacy/cube/vintage and want a pretty well done stream.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

No he didn't. He's said the opposite, repeatedly - DFCs have a lot of design space and they'll appear in numerous future blocks.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/70439110628/where-do-you-think-were-more-likely-to-see-dfcs

Yeah, the issue with DFCs is more a printing concern than a design one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zorak posted:

Yeah, the issue with DFCs is more a printing concern than a design one.

I thought I heard that the new card face brought along a change to the printing process that made it easier for cards and relevant extra materials to appear in the same pack though? At the very least, the one M15 pack I've opened had both a Triplicate Spirits and a Spirit token. That could be one of the reasons they pushed Tarkir block back a year, waiting for the new face and printing capabilities to be fully fleshed out.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I thought I heard that the new card face brought along a change to the printing process that made it easier for cards and relevant extra materials to appear in the same pack though? At the very least, the one M15 pack I've opened had both a Triplicate Spirits and a Spirit token. That could be one of the reasons they pushed Tarkir block back a year, waiting for the new face and printing capabilities to be fully fleshed out.

Theoretically yes but they've not said whether that means it'll make DFCs easier or not.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

What if they decided to use double faced card tech to give morph cards a creature back? No reason why they ouldn't right?
It doesn't solve anything. You'd still need a replacement card of sorts since if you're not playing with sleeves, you can see them coming off top-deck (or in hands), and with sleeves it doesn't solve the issue of 'prove it's a morph card'.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

C-Euro posted:

I remember seeing that the changes to Tarkir's draft structure was the reason behind the delay.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

2 Pre-releases. Plenty of Token making cards. No matching Tokens in packs.

We have the technology... but we're not using it. :v:

Mikujin posted:

It doesn't solve anything. You'd still need a replacement card of sorts since if you're not playing with sleeves, you can see them coming off top-deck (or in hands), and with sleeves it doesn't solve the issue of 'prove it's a morph card'.

There's a rule in place for this. End of game, un-revealed Morph creatures are flipped face up to prove it.
If you cheat with Morphing a non-Morph card the game is a loss for you and you'll get DQed from an official event or (maybe) kicked out of your LGS for it.

That said I can't wait for Bertoncini to try and cheat with Morph.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 28, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

"Well, I'd like to think that this deck plays a lot less Magic than even Dredge does."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BrokenKnees posted:

I remember seeing that the changes to Tarkir's draft structure was the reason behind the delay.

Can someone explain this fully. It'll be Khans, Khans, Khans until the next set and then how will it go?

• Locked thread