Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
His stand is the manga itself. He sucks life force from his readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Araki being fueled on our collective hype is fine by me. At least my energy is going somewhere productive.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Bruno Buccellati is actually a thinly-veiled stand-in for Tetsuya Nomura.
Weather Report serves a similar role for Junji Ito. At one point, Araki toyed with the idea of having a cat with a skull pattern on its back follow him around.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Something that controls time and thereby his youth.

There's a reason he thinks that time is the strongest power.
Araki's stand is Get Back, which has the power to move its owner back in time, physically or temporally. Araki uses this for both immortality and watching every movie known to man without losing any time better spent drawing. Jojo will still be ongoing in 200 years and will never stop being creative, as Araki's time travel gives him an endless source of material for inspiration.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I wonder how many times the world will reset by Part 33.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is Doppio just an alternate personality of the boss who thinks he's one of the boss' subordinates?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
How far into Part 5 are you?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

King Crimson vs Metallica

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

King Crimson vs Metallica
Diavolo is a 21st century schizoid man

Listen to this while you read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzbniB9KI2c

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Butt Ghost posted:

Is Doppio just an alternate personality of the boss who thinks he's one of the boss' subordinates?

Presumably an alternate personality. However, the transformation is still a mystery.

Seriously this should be the what-the-gently caress-is-going-on deal rather than King Crimson.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jyrque posted:

Seriously this should be the what-the-gently caress-is-going-on deal rather than King Crimson.

Araki explained it. Apparently people with split personality can really change their demeanor so loving hard they visibly age.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. Looks like the hairstyle change could be Stand-related. A really groovy SSJ-type transformation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We've gotten weirder changes because of Araki's artsyle than Diavolo's transformation.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mainly how he draws dogs

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like that ASB lets you use, uh, initial Iggy. It's a nice touch.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

jyrque posted:

Presumably an alternate personality. However, the transformation is still a mystery.

Personally I want to know what happens to his shirt.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Butt Ghost posted:

Maybe the shirt is a pink wig on the inside?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

He takes it away, I suppose?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The only part of doppio powering up that doesn't make any sense is the hair

The rest of it is just doppio always having really closed body language and other visual tricks (he's still just as buff, as shown when he hulks out on the one guy).

There's also that dumb theory that diavolo is just king crimson taking over doppios body.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
He just uses King Crimson to skip the time between him having the purple hair and him restyling his hair to be pink with purple polka dots and we don't get to see anything in between because of the time skip.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

boredsatellite posted:

Mainly how he draws dogs

I'm pretty sure Araki has never actually seen what a dog looks like.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure Araki has never actually seen what a dog looks like.

Isn't there a cute dog that gets horribly killed near the end of part 6? I remember it looking like a real dog.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got a good laugh of them spotting a dead dog by the road in the first Enya episode after just reading about Araki's dog usage in this thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
One theory is that Doppio is a parasitic twin that got awakened by Stand Weirdness. This is also why Epitath is a thing and why it's a little face on King Crimson's forehead.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Supersonic Shine posted:

Weather Report serves a similar role for Junji Ito. At one point, Araki toyed with the idea of having a cat with a skull pattern on its back follow him around.

I always thought that Heavy Weather was a bit too similar Uzamaki. Now that I think about it, his back story does sound like something Ito would write.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggdrasilTM posted:

He takes it away, I suppose?

In the manga it's very clear that he just took the shirt off.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so in Part 5

Does King Crimson straight-up have the powers of The World too?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No, it's a bad translation.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

It's intentionally a very similar power, but it's not actually the same.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's functionally the same as The World but even better

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I just finished part 5. Maybe it's just the really bad translation, but the last two volumes were really confusing and unsatisfying. The sleeping slaves chapters seemed kind of pointless too. Polnareff being a turtle is pretty great, at least.

I guess to elaborate, the final battle was really short, and I had no earthly idea what was going on. This is even more disappointing considering how spectacular every previous conclusion was. Then once the battle is over, there isn't really a falling action. Everyone is just "alright, let's go now I guess" and then we get a shot of Giorno as the boss, and it ends. Not to mention that a whole other monster of the week is thrown in between all that for... some reason. I was really confused, because at first I thought this was more Requiem fuckery, then I thought maybe the scans were out of order, and these chapters were supposed to happen forever ago or something.

edit: Oh yeah, and Fugo just sort of getting written off over half-way through was really unsatisfying too. I was expecting him to show up again, either to save everyone's rear end, or to stop the group, forcing him to chose between his Buccellati and Diavolo. Also you only get to see his stand once.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Also, didn't Cars save a puppy in Battle Tendency?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Retcon posted:

Started reading Steel Ball Run and holy poo poo the corpse of Jesus is giving people Stand powers. How does Araki come up with this stuff?

I thought it was really clever. To become a saint you need to be responsible for a miracle, but it has to be posthumous. So Araki just straight up has corpses that causes miracles.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I just finished part 5. Maybe it's just the really bad translation, but the last two volumes were really confusing and unsatisfying. The sleeping slaves chapters seemed kind of pointless too. Polnareff being a turtle is pretty great, at least.

I guess to elaborate, the final battle was really short, and I had no earthly idea what was going on. This is even more disappointing considering how spectacular every previous conclusion was. Then once the battle is over, there isn't really a falling action. Everyone is just "alright, let's go now I guess" and then we get a shot of Giorno as the boss, and it ends. Not to mention that a whole other monster of the week is thrown in between all that for... some reason. I was really confused, because at first I thought this was more Requiem fuckery, then I thought maybe the scans were out of order, and these chapters were supposed to happen forever ago or something.

edit: Oh yeah, and Fugo just sort of getting written off over half-way through was really unsatisfying too. I was expecting him to show up again, either to save everyone's rear end, or to stop the group, forcing him to chose between his Buccellati and Diavolo. Also you only get to see his stand once.

The final battle itself is pretty short because the "real" fights against king crimson are the two times everyone is struggling for the arrow. It's not like part 3 where jotaro and dio have a dbz fight for two entire volumes, because the whole idea is whoever gets the arrow will win in one hit (and then that happens). Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but it's a neat idea imo.

Sleeping slaves is a little silly because having it before the ending would ruin the build up with diavolo, but having it after feels really wierd too so there's no real correct answer?

fugo was originally going to be a mole for diavolo but I guess since giorno already figured out how to beat his poison araki didn't want a fight scene that consists of "fugo kills narancia, then giorno muda's him into the pavement", which is the only way it can really go. I still think it would've been cool but I can see why it got changed.

for what it's worth, having a character in a punchman comic go "no, this is stupid and I like living, peace out" and leaving the story is a pretty interesting concept, and it led to the fugo novel which is p cool, so maybe it worked out for the best

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That reminds me that I still need to read Purple Haze Feedback.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
So I have hit the bad scan/translation wall in part 5. How are the Stone Ocean scans/translation?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Translation wise they're pretty solid. It's been a while but I remember some of the earlier chapters being a bit messy with the cleaning and typesetting, but nothing terrible.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
One of my chief complaints with Part 5 after rereading it in Japanese is that while the translation is accurate, it does not accommodate or change according to different character so it comes down with everyone have the same vocabulary and stilted way of speaking.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

amuayse posted:

One of my chief complaints with Part 5 after rereading it in Japanese is that while the translation is accurate, it does not accommodate or change according to different character so it comes down with everyone have the same vocabulary and stilted way of speaking.

I'm not sure what translation you read because that poo poo is barely enough to get some of the plot across. Accurate is not a word that should ever be used to describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And the mass making poo poo up. That is a major flaw imo.

• Locked thread