Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'm at the scene where they're on the rhibs(spelling?) headed up the river and noticed how they have none of the seal guys after the co's "i need our best guys" comment to the xo :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
This episode was so dumb and predictable :/ I want to like this show, but episodes like this one make it hard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm getting real tired of this America #1 rah rah rah thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was the first episode that I genuinely didn't like. What's dumber than the captain leaving the ship for every mission? Bringing the XO along. And no seals. And the master chief. I was relieved to see head engineer didn't go along too at the very least, she's probably on light duty or something though. If you're going to go all hoo rah on the evil dude, couldn't you at least go back to the ship and get some loving guns?

Tex was a pleasant surprise. I had written him off as literally another Pope (from Falling Skies, not Rome). An rear end in a top hat who can't play by the rules but is charismatic and gets poo poo done so you tolerate him kind of guy, but nope, he manages to be kinda awesome and not an rear end in a top hat, which is a rare combo on these shows.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm getting real tired of this America #1 rah rah rah thing.

I decided that Gitmo didn't count, and Russians were their free pass but now just....ugh. Yeah. Ugh.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
At least they killed the bad guys in the episode instead of just knocking them out or some other lame cop out. Because they came to hunt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Didn't they have a helicopter that could've served as a radio relay, or was that just offered up to the gods of 'no one will remember that?'

Same goes for a ScanEagle to look for IR signatures before, I dunno, setting foot blindly into unknown territory...or waiting until nightfall and looking into the jungle with FLIR, since it stands to reason that others won't have NVG or anything. vOv

The only good thing about this episode is that it gave the Chief Engineer and Tex some much needed 'people should like me because I'm not dumb' time.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
...I forgot all about the helicopter.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I didn't see it on the ship this episode (or the last few for that matter).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Iowa Snow King posted:

...I forgot all about the helicopter.

Probably not used to save money. Operating a helicopter is expensive if you can't CGI it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Didn't they have a helicopter that could've served as a radio relay, or was that just offered up to the gods of 'no one will remember that?'

Same goes for a ScanEagle to look for IR signatures before, I dunno, setting foot blindly into unknown territory...or waiting until nightfall and looking into the jungle with FLIR, since it stands to reason that others won't have NVG or anything. vOv

The only good thing about this episode is that it gave the Chief Engineer and Tex some much needed 'people should like me because I'm not dumb' time.

First off we have to acknowledge that they weren't expecting to run into a bunch of armed thugs in the jungle. They were going to a place they thought was a reserve for scientific research. Don't pick it apart based on hindsight.

They figured they *might* possibly be cut off from radio communication and brought the flares. They certainly didn't think they'd run into plague victims and would need to travel even farther inland where radios would be impossible. Still flares would be sufficient.

Wasting fuel on a helicopter to loiter for a comms patch on a monkey hunt would have been overkill. Not to mention they might not have parts to fix it if it breaks (and they do all the time) so its best to conserve.

Using scan eagle to scout a dense tropical jungle is just silly. You won't see poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Still, turning the boat around with 3 men and one that was wounded and bleeding, without guns or weapons of any sorts, to fight off an encampment of what did they say 15+ people with guns, is pretty stupid. Especially when two of those men going in are the first and second in command of as far as they know the last abled vessel in the world outside of the Russian ship.

But hey, they're Americans and Americans are big and strong and inhuman and 1 American is equal to like 5 South American drug traders right.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Boris Galerkin posted:

Still, turning the boat around with 3 men and one that was wounded and bleeding, without guns or weapons of any sorts, to fight off an encampment of what did they say 15+ people with guns, is pretty stupid. Especially when two of those men going in are the first and second in command of as far as they know the last abled vessel in the world outside of the Russian ship.

Yeah, this. I really thought they would go back to the boat, pick up more guns and more dudes, and come back, not do some Die Hard bullshit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not sure how blowing one hole in a cruiser keeps it from shooting our heroes

I'm not a navy guy but my guess is that if your ship is damaged and cannot move, attacking another ship is a really bad idea; same reason the US ship didn't want to fight while docked.

Blackchamber posted:

Wasting fuel on a helicopter to loiter for a comms patch on a monkey hunt would have been overkill. Not to mention they might not have parts to fix it if it breaks (and they do all the time) so its best to conserve.

A close friend is a helicopter mechanic for both the National Guard and State Police, helicopters apparently break something almost every time they fly. Usually not anything major, but they are extremely maintenance intensive and use a crapload of fuel so I can understand them not wanting to use a helicopter except in emergency situations.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 21, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

counterfeitsaint posted:

I decided that Gitmo didn't count, and Russians were their free pass but now just....ugh. Yeah. Ugh.
On the upside: that slomo-boats-on-the-beach scene with the cheesy song was utterly hillarious :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This show is literally every bad plot device* from every planet-of-the-week Trek episode, played by people on their first acting gig, put together by a screenwriter that must have been out off the set when it was put together (seriously, how did they miss "put the girl on the beach with the infected at the end, that's how you make people sad"?).

Is anyone getting a really weird "video game" vibe from the whole thing? There was the generic islamic terrorists popping up from behind barrels in the warehouse episode, and this had some serious stealth-em-up tropes going on. I almost expected to see "Hit LT to dodge!" pop up when Lt. Green was having the machete swung at him.

Octy posted:

Yeah, I didn't see it on the ship this episode (or the last few for that matter).
The helicopter only spawns when a main character needs it for some reason. It has seriously just appeared and disappeared since the pilot.

* Captain! Commander! We're on an away mission for loose reasons, and instead of security personnel marines, we, being a collection of senior officers, will need to join you in an ill-equipped venture where Ionic plasma storms trees are blocking communications. Hopefully nothing bad happens to our shuttle craft rib on the way.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Nektu posted:

On the upside: that slomo-boats-on-the-beach scene with the cheesy song was utterly hillarious :)

You just called Dire Straits cheesy. Not cool, man. I loaded that album up on Spotify after the episode. :smith:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

SpaceAceJase posted:

You just called Dire Straits cheesy. Not cool, man. I loaded that album up on Spotify after the episode. :smith:
I'm sorry, in that context it was. Mostly because they stopped the scene before the more ambivalent parts of the song's text came up.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Khablam posted:

Is anyone getting a really weird "video game" vibe from the whole thing? There was the generic islamic terrorists popping up from behind barrels in the warehouse episode, and this had some serious stealth-em-up tropes going on. I almost expected to see "Hit LT to dodge!" pop up when Lt. Green was having the machete swung at him.

AV Club mentioned this. It totally is a video game, and I'm alright with that.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
quoting my own post b/c this poo poo was loving awful

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm at the scene where they're on the rhibs(spelling?) headed up the river and noticed how they have none of the seal guys after the co's "i need our best guys" comment to the xo :downs:

each boat leaving the destroyer had 4 dudes & after they fled from the sick/dying people there were 9 total

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

If you haven't figured it out by now, in TV land, "our best guys" means "our main cast".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

quoting my own post b/c this poo poo was loving awful

each boat leaving the destroyer had 4 dudes & after they fled from the sick/dying people there were 9 total

Pretty sure one of them just switched boats. It was 4 and 4, then the boat that came back had 3 while the one that went on had 5.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I love the show because its so obvious the makers of it wanted to make a ST:TOS like show, couldn't get it picked up, and just reskinned it as a military show...and it worked.

If you look at it as that show, the technical and protocol issues are easy to dismiss because they're aren't supposed to be using real word tech and rules :p

-----------------------

As for why Die Hard the situation and not go all the way back and get supplies first, probably because they wouldn't save the mayor's daughter in time if they did. Not smart reasoning, but Baldwin did bring up their own daughters so that was what was driving them.

At least the Master Chief realize it was a stupid stupid plan and spoke up. Also, until the very end they seemed willing to let it all pass to get the mission done, so they were willing to put aside their morals...up to a point.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hate everything about this show. The machismo bullshit, the paint by numbers characters, the stupid plot, the stupid guest bad guys, the AMERICA gently caress YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bullshit

But I cannot stop watching what the gently caress is wrong with me.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
My excuse is that summer programming is rather desolate.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I just unapologeticly love it. But then again, I do have questionable taste soo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BlindSite posted:

I hate everything about this show. The machismo bullshit, the paint by numbers characters, the stupid plot, the stupid guest bad guys, the AMERICA gently caress YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bullshit

But I cannot stop watching what the gently caress is wrong with me.

adam baldwin too

Also terrorists getting destroyed by a destroyer main gun

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

etalian posted:

adam baldwin too

Adam Baldwin is the greatest thing to ever happen in any show, ever though. I've seen just about every TV show he's ever been in and he always kills it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Boris Galerkin posted:

But hey, they're Americans and Americans are big and strong and inhuman and 1 American is equal to like 5 South American drug traders right.

It is par for the course on this stupid show. In the same way that they were going to send their invaluable irreplaceable doctor. Because no one else can look at a photograph to identify a freaking monkey.

Yeah, this show was never realistic but this episode reached a level of stupidity even I cannot abide.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

etalian posted:

adam baldwin too

Yeah Adam Baldwin is awesome.

Also if you're going to complain that the main cast is always the most involved in the mission of the week despite the dangers etc. you should probably consider doing something else with your time rather than watching a basic cable military themed show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Adam Baldwin is the greatest thing to ever happen in any show, ever though. I've seen just about every TV show he's ever been in and he always kills it.

he's typecast but always great

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

etalian posted:

he's typecast but always great

Tex is the Jayne of this show though :confused:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As much as i like Adam Baldwin in shows, he's a card carrying redneck

http://www.back2stonewall.com/2011/03/wow-adam-baldwin-of-chuck-and-firefly.html

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

http://www.back2stonewall.com/2011/03/wow-adam-baldwin-of-chuck-and-firefly.html
Well that's a drat shame.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
this is the stupidest goddamn show i've ever seen but i can't stop watching it.
edit: nooooo adam noooooo

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Good for him. People and actors can have other opinions about things.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Wow. Never knew that about Adam. Makes me like him even more.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I loved the "what the gently caress is this?" look on her face when they opened the door to the lab during the speech.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Holy gently caress, this episode is even worse than the last one. I mean, I knew going into this that this wasn't going to be the book, but Christ, these characters, their motivations and their development arcs are pretty much entirely nonsensical.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
"Sir, we've got a suspicious SOS."

"Sounds like a job for the Captain" :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
why is this show so bad

• Locked thread