Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

zakharov posted:

Stephen A Smith is a complete clueless idiot. When does the value of "people tune in to see him!" get outweighed by "he's saying reprehensible sexist horseshit?" Don't answer, I already know.

Chris Broussard is still employed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What a terrible point Stephen A. Smith made. He failed to even compare it to women who provoke their own rapes and sexual assaults by dressing slutty.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
He just went on a Twitter tirade to clear up his comments, wherein he reinforced all of them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Beadle's 100% correct but she also just kissed Floyd Mayweather's rear end at the ESPY's and Smith isn't even in his universe when it comes to being a misogynist piece of poo poo so that's not really a good look.

e: at least I think it was Beadle. Maybe I'm wrong.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

sportsgenius86 posted:

Beadle's 100% correct but she also just kissed Floyd Mayweather's rear end at the ESPY's and Smith isn't even in his universe when it comes to being a misogynist piece of poo poo so that's not really a good look.

e: at least I think it was Beadle. Maybe I'm wrong.

The "I like that you live your life" thing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's awful, but that is the entire point of First Take. It's two guys saying stupid reprehensible things to get a rise out of the internet. Stop watching it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Was Taters posted:

The "I like that you live your life" thing?

Yea that sounds right. I mean, I'm sure that's not at the forefront of her mind when she's standing there talking to Floyd Mayweather, but that's probably not the type of thing you want to say to a guy with a history like his.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I like that you have flaming gloves made of money

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Going back to what those guys on WEEI said about Erin Andrews, here's something they don't need

Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch
Fox Sports is no longer going to advertise with the parent company of WEEI (re: Erin Andrews). Story to come on http://si.com

I follow these things and their parent company is already losing lots of money on overpaying for Red Sox radio rights on that station

e: now with story

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...c4d96eee7fbf866

quote:

Fox Sports has decided to pull all of its advertising from Entercom-owned radio stations and has banned its personalities from appearing on WEEI in the wake of host Kirk Minihane’s recent controversial comments regarding reporter Erin Andrews.

Boston.com and the Globe have obtained a copy of the letter Fox Sports president Eric Shanks sent to Entercom president and chief executive officer David Field this afternoon. Entercom is WEEI’s parent company.

Here is the text of Shanks’s letter:

“By now you are no doubt aware of the incidents that occurred on-air at your Boston station WEEI on July 15 and again on July 22. I am referring to the obnoxious comments made by Kirk Minihane on the “Dennis and Callahan” show regarding one of our Fox on-air personalities, Erin Andrews.

“As we have previously stated to various media outlets, the comments made by Mr. Minihane were boorish and sexist. Further, the “apology: made by Mr. Minihane was juvenile and insincere. To make matters worse, the “apology” was posted under a banner (allegedly approved by your Boston VP and Market Manager, Phil Zachary) hailing ‘The Triumphant Return of Kirk Minihane.’

“I had hoped by this time we might hear a sincere apology from WEEI, or perhaps someone from your office might have reached out to Fox (which through our film and television businesses is a significant advertiser on Entercom stations). However, none of that has been forthcoming, and needless to say we are disappointed.

“I have discussed this issue with our senior management and our various senior marketing executives. At their recommendation, I am writing to inform you that going forward Fox’s entertainment and sports businesses will not be advertising on your stations for the foreseeable future.

“I regret that we need to take this action, but as one of our executives reminded me, “sometimes you need to vote with your feet.”

“I trust you will discuss our decision with your staff at WEEI.”

It’s uncertain how much money Fox spends on advertising at Entercom. Entercom owns more than 100 stations in 23 markets.

The back story that led to Fox Sports’ decision has become familiar, gaining notice nationally. Minihane, one of three co-hosts of the morning drive “Dennis and Callahan” program, referred to Andrews as a “gutless bitch” last Wednesday while discussing the sideline reporter’s awkward interview with Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright during the All-Star Game.

Minihane apologized for his comments in a statement posted on WEEI.com. But upon returning from vacation Wednesday – his first day on the air since the original comments – he punctuated a verbal apology by suggesting that Andrews’s success is based on looks rather than ability, saying if she “weighed 15 pounds more she would be a waitress.”

Minihane could not be reached for comment this afternoon.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 25, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
WEEI'S implosion is amazing to watch in a car crash in slow motion sort of thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Man that guy has no sense of restraint.

I think it was already announced that the show's contract won't be renewed either?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it was already announced that the show's contract won't be renewed either?

It's not going to be on NESN any more, I don't know about on the radio

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Man that guy has no sense of restraint.

He's the tamest of the three.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why don't they just can somebody who says something that stupid? The ESPN thing I get insomuch as ESPN has had a problem with disrespectful treatment of women seemingly forever.

But in the other case, is it common with that company? Help me out here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sports radio seems like a falling up industry, no matter how many times you gently caress up, if you get fired there'll be another radio station that will take you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sports radio seems like a falling up industry, no matter how many times you gently caress up, if you get fired there'll be another radio station that will take you.

That makes sense...I mean Howard Stern got fired how many times? Not sports radio, but a similar thought process I'm sure.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Howard Stern has talent

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sports radio is old media and they still probably believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity and they'll take the risk on a guy who is controversial because it moves the needle. Don Imus was not out of a job for THAT long.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sports radio is old media and they still probably believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity and they'll take the risk on a guy who is controversial because it moves the needle. Don Imus was not out of a job for THAT long.

On o e hand, everyone is disgusted with the guy.

On the other hand, someone is thinking EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT MINIHANE, SOMEONE PUT HIM ON A BILLBOARD.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Why don't they just can somebody who says something that stupid? The ESPN thing I get insomuch as ESPN has had a problem with disrespectful treatment of women seemingly forever.

But in the other case, is it common with that company? Help me out here.

WEEI has been in an utter tailspin. Within the past two or three years they've:
1. Broke up a popular midday show to give Ordway a new co-host. (Michael Holly)
2. Fired Ordway
3. Brought in Mike Salk to co-host with Holly.
4. Watch Mike Salk say gently caress it and leave Boston fifty one weeks into his tenure.
5. Listen to Pete Sheppard excoriate the station's higher management during a weekend shift as he announced he was getting off the ship.
6. Tried to promote Kirk Minihane on the afternoon drive show as a possible host, eventually putting him on the morning show.
7. Keep two racist white dudes who are ardent John McCain and Mitt Romney supporters on the morning show
8. Kept Mikey Adams employed.
9. Reform popular midday show during afternoon drive to save some face after the Salk debacle
10. Discontinued the Whiner Line.
11. Broke up another midday show because their Red Sox anchor left.
12. Lost the radio rights to the Boston Celtics.
13. Watch audiences and advertising revenues continually shrink.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ayn rand hand job posted:

WEEI'S implosion is amazing to watch in a car crash in slow motion sort of thing.

I think that's pretty good description of the decade-long decline of Boston sports media.

When you make NYC and Philly sports media culture look sane/good that's a problem.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Howard Stern has talent

He can be funny but he also had a gift for pissing off sponsors in his earlier years.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Raleigh's local afternoon show, Adam Gold and Joe Ovies, is actually pretty good compared to pretty much any other local sports radio I have heard. I used to listen to radio streams from random cities a lot and I really do think this local show is a lot better than what most other cities have.

Howard Stern is the greatest of all time

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

baba booie

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mark Madden is the worst because he doesn't know how to mute his mic and you hear his fat rear end wheezing to death while his guest or whatever is talking.

Also refers to himself as a supergenius, which automatically means he is not.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kevin slaten in stl has had about a million radio jobs, all of which he's been fired from for fighting, being an rear end in a top hat, slandering dudes, and so on.

Yet he keeps getting jobs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sash! posted:

Also refers to himself as a supergenius, which automatically means he is not.

This and pretty much everything else he does is a put-on and should not be taken seriously

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Didn't Mark Madden once get the poo poo beat out of him by Awesome Kong because he said we shouldn't have done poo poo to help Haiti?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Madden is a blowhard jackass professionally but he's always at this good breakfast joint in Pittsburgh on weekend mornings when I visit my sister and he's been pretty pleasant to everyone when I've seen him.

He's still a fat slob, but he's there to watch soccer and he treats the staff really well and was nice to anyone who approached him.

E: ^^^ I think that was Bubba The Love Sponge

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

E: ^^^ I think that was Bubba The Love Sponge

Ah, that's right.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

This and pretty much everything else he does is a put-on and should not be taken seriously

I just hate him so much. I'll be driving back into Western PA and as soon as I emerge from the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the Turnpike, I can pick up Pittsburgh radio stations, so I flip it over to the X and BAM Mark Madden and then I run someone off the road in a fit of rage as a result.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I kind of like Mark Madden's act but I don't like how much time he gets on air on stations where I expect to find music.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

How was Mike Salk during his Boston year? He came back with a promotion, his old show at a new time 7-10 (p much dead air before) and complaining he missed the superbowl run.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mornacale posted:

I kind of like Mark Madden's act but I don't like how much time he gets on air on stations where I expect to find music.

This is pretty much 100% of my beef

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I assume Sash! only listens to Charlie and His Orchestra.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Madden should never be forgiven for his support of the dastardly Hollywood Hulk Hogan

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
How do this many people actually listen to sports radio?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

I have a 40 minute drive to work and switch between that, NPR, and my own music.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I usually catch a few minutes of it in the gym before I get situated with my headphones on.

Usually they're complaining about Clay Buckholz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

morestuff posted:

i can't sleep unless there's some kind of white noise going on. sports radio is the only radio i'm guaranteed not to get distracted by