Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Modern anti-Semitism has its roots in ye olde anti-semitism. This comes from Jews not being Christians, basically.

Edit: I mean, there's other stuff, like Jews being used as tax collectors in Eastern Europe, or having the nerve to be successful bankers in medieval Europe, but the reasons for all that seems to have its roots in them not being Christian to me. I'm sure someone more familiar with the subject could give you a better answer.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

Modern anti-Semitism has its roots in ye olde anti-semitism. This comes from Jews not being Christians, basically.

Edit: I mean, there's other stuff, like Jews being used as tax collectors in Eastern Europe, or having the nerve to be successful bankers in medieval Europe, but the reasons for all that seems to have its roots in them not being Christian to me. I'm sure someone more familiar with the subject could give you a better answer.

Jews were bankers because of usury laws. Jews weren't allowed to charge other Jews interest, Christians couldn't charge other Christians interest, but Jews could charge Christians interest. Usury laws left the moneylender niche open in many communities, and a Jew or family of Jews moved in to fill the niche.

So yes, Jews were moneylenders because they weren't Christians, making it the same reason for the prejudice, just once removed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jews were also banned from pretty much all the guilds, so becoming bankers and merchants were one of the few paths open to them.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I have a question that I posed in GBS that you all probably have better information about :

I have barely met any Jewish people in my life. I've never grown up around Jewish communities. I dislike Israel for a variety of reasons, none of which are that they're a Jewish country. The most I know about Jewish people is that there seem to be a lot of successful Jewish people, and Jewish culture produces some of my favourite comedians and entertainers.

My question is: where does modern anti-Semitism come from? I understand the stupid reasons that racists have for hating most groups of people (they look different and talk different, durr!), but I don't know why an average uneducated moron would hate a Jewish person, other than that they're not Christian, or some crazy conspiracy theory.

I apologize if this is an overly hot-button issue, I'm just genuinely curious as a Canadian that has had most of his information about Jewish people come from American media. Hopefully this is the right thread for it.

Pretty much all of the modern stuff is rooted in rather ancient societies where the best way for rulers to maintain internal stability was to enforce a lot of conformity. Jews tended to reject efforts to get them to conform to local social and religious traditions. Judaism places a lot of emphasis on marrying within the community and things like dietary rules mean that a lot of goods and services must be bought from within the community. Leaders disliked and distrusted them for refusing to integrate, often assuming they were plotting some kind of overthrow of their rule and the common folk disliked them because they were different and a highly visible scapegoat.

Of course the amount of anti-Semitism and the form it took (anywhere from glares and angry mumbling to pogroms) varies widely across space and time. There are instances of leaders trying to protect Jewish communities from an angry populace due to sympathy or economic concerns and there are cases of leaders desperately trying to whip up angry crowds to kill Jews to distract from other internal problems.

These days there are also elements of Jew seemingly being aligned with the Western world. So a lot of people see the global Jewish community as being on the opposite end of the political spectrum, combine this with centuries or even millennia of suspicion and persecution and you get modern anti-Semitism.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Joe mentioned Errol Morris's new film Unknown Knowns. I got about halfway through before I had to pass out last night. Rumsfeld is every bit as charmingly evil as I remember. I've always loved his style, I just wish it were applied for something other than cartoon villainy, heh.

Also, I can't get through an Errol Morris flick without laughing at the points where he gets exasperated and sort of wails out in his whiny accent.

I also watched Tabloid, which I hadn't remembered being released and which was enjoyable. It's hard to top Thin Blue Line, frankly. That's just a fantastic documentary.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, having Amy Goodman and Errol Morris interview people could have hilarious consequences with her abbreviated, staccato, machine gun style and his inability to censor his irritation. She could start everything off with MR. RUMSFELD, TALK ABOUT BEING A MURDERER and 15 seconds in he could start going "ennnnhh ennNNHHH THAT'S NOT THE PPPOINT!!!"

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Modern anti-semitism is founded in the rejection of Adam Sandler movies.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I have a question that I posed in GBS that you all probably have better information about :

I have barely met any Jewish people in my life. I've never grown up around Jewish communities. I dislike Israel for a variety of reasons, none of which are that they're a Jewish country. The most I know about Jewish people is that there seem to be a lot of successful Jewish people, and Jewish culture produces some of my favourite comedians and entertainers.

My question is: where does modern anti-Semitism come from? I understand the stupid reasons that racists have for hating most groups of people (they look different and talk different, durr!), but I don't know why an average uneducated moron would hate a Jewish person, other than that they're not Christian, or some crazy conspiracy theory.

I apologize if this is an overly hot-button issue, I'm just genuinely curious as a Canadian that has had most of his information about Jewish people come from American media. Hopefully this is the right thread for it.

Modern Anti-Semitism comes from the assassination of Tsar Alexander II in 1881. He was a reformist and when he was killed by non-Jewish anarchists his successor, a reactionary, blamed the Jews and launched the biggest pogrom Russia had seen to cover rolling back many of the reforms. This lead to large numbers of Jews in the Russian Empire emigrating west. Their aim was to get to America but many didn't get that far with Germany being seen as first safe haven.

At that time Anti-Semitism was fairly weak in Western Europe to the extent Benjamin Disraeli (as far as I can tell) had faced little criticism for his Jewish heritage and there are other examples. The small number of Jews in the west were well enough assimilated that Orthodox Jews created the concept of Zionism to save Judaism from disappearing completely. Then you get a huge number of peasants flooding into the Western Europe who were willing to work for cheap, dressed differently and due to diet even smelled funny.

The elite were happy to stoke old prejudices about Jews alongside the standard "they're stealing your jobs" excuse for low wages. At the same time Social Darwinism and other 'scientific' forms of racism were emerging and the Ostjuden (as they were called) were clearly ethnically different from Western Europeans. So due to very bad timing Jewish people became the perfect out group combining old prejudices and modern forms of racial discrimination.

This bubbled under the surface (or on the surface) until fascists started very openly using this perfect out group for society's ills which lead to the holocaust.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, having Amy Goodman and Errol Morris interview people could have hilarious consequences with her abbreviated, staccato, machine gun style and his inability to censor his irritation. She could start everything off with MR. RUMSFELD, TALK ABOUT BEING A MURDERER and 15 seconds in he could start going "ennnnhh ennNNHHH THAT'S NOT THE PPPOINT!!!"

She did interview Morris for the Unknown Known. Her first question was, "Why Donald Rumsfeld?"

Ooooooh, yes, great question! What a mystery! :allears:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Modern Anti-Semitism comes from the assassination of Tsar Alexander II in 1881. He was a reformist and when he was killed by non-Jewish anarchists his successor, a reactionary, blamed the Jews and launched the biggest pogrom Russia had seen to cover rolling back many of the reforms. This lead to large numbers of Jews in the Russian Empire emigrating west. Their aim was to get to America but many didn't get that far with Germany being seen as first safe haven.

At that time Anti-Semitism was fairly weak in Western Europe to the extent Benjamin Disraeli (as far as I can tell) had faced little criticism for his Jewish heritage and there are other examples. The small number of Jews in the west were well enough assimilated that Orthodox Jews created the concept of Zionism to save Judaism from disappearing completely. Then you get a huge number of peasants flooding into the Western Europe who were willing to work for cheap, dressed differently and due to diet even smelled funny.

The elite were happy to stoke old prejudices about Jews alongside the standard "they're stealing your jobs" excuse for low wages. At the same time Social Darwinism and other 'scientific' forms of racism were emerging and the Ostjuden (as they were called) were clearly ethnically different from Western Europeans. So due to very bad timing Jewish people became the perfect out group combining old prejudices and modern forms of racial discrimination.

This bubbled under the surface (or on the surface) until fascists started very openly using this perfect out group for society's ills which lead to the holocaust.
So, essentially, Russia is to blame for Hitler, Holocaust and WW2.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Could someone give me a rundown concerning Japan's poor economy? I've heard a lot of different complaints (Usually Keynsian Economics from conservatives) but my impression is that the Japanese seem to be really conservative with their money. I remember watching a video in high school about how Japanese women typically are the ones who manage all of the finances/budgeting whereas that tends to fall to men in the United States. So I could imagine the Japanese collectively saving a lot of their income and spending less. Then there's also the work culture over there that probably inhibits people from spending money due to the lack of free time to enjoy the things people like to spend money on.

I really have no clue how they're doing on exports.

Any information would be appreciated.

Surprise no one addressed this. Without looking it up, and therefore probably being woefully wrong, my understanding is that Japan relied on a corporatism model (sort of similar to the chaebol system in South Korea), where huge corporations are propped up by the government for decades. Smaller companies being nearly non-existent, this led to a vicious circle of lowering demand that eventually led to the economic crisis of the 90s. Prices and assets skyrocketing as people couldn't afford them, and corporations and banks essentially being "zombified", around only at the increasingly frantic efforts of the Japanese govt.

Its not so much cultural, but due to the wrong decisions by economic and political elites. I've read that its getting better lately due to a number of robust classical Keynesian like political and economic moves by the Abe govt (at least GDP wise, but what does that mean, really), but the gaggle of posters in the Japan thread would know way more than me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think I'm going to try (again) to take a break from the I/P thread and from even talking about this on Facebook. I'm spent, and it's interfering with my research. I hope that doesn't make me a wimp. it does :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm disengaging from I/P news/talk for my own good. I can't do anything about it and it's such a damaged unsolvable situation that it's just better for me to not think about it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think I'm going to try (again) to take a break from the I/P thread and from even talking about this on Facebook. I'm spent, and it's interfering with my research. I hope that doesn't make me a wimp. it does :smith:

Who cares if you're a wimp? Your own life and priorities come first and you should disengage from any situation that distracts or hurts you enough that it makes you unable to pursue what you want to pursue.

Good on you for being ABLE to cut yourself off, I say.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I/P threads: not even once.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

She did interview Morris for the Unknown Known. Her first question was, "Why Donald Rumsfeld?"

Ooooooh, yes, great question! What a mystery! :allears:

That's a perfectly good opening question.

Also,

zoux posted:

I'm disengaging from I/P news/talk for my own good. I can't do anything about it and it's such a damaged unsolvable situation that it's just better for me to not think about it.

zoux posted:

I'm disengaging from voting for my own good. I can't do anything about it and it's such a damaged unsolvable situation that it's just better for me to not think about it.

Sound plan, consistent too.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
happy world war one, everybody. lets have a nice round of It's a Long Way to Tipperary and then maybe get exploded by heavy ordinance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

razorrozar posted:

Who cares if you're a wimp? Your own life and priorities come first and you should disengage from any situation that distracts or hurts you enough that it makes you unable to pursue what you want to pursue.

Good on you for being ABLE to cut yourself off, I say.

:unsmith: Thanks. Although I'm saying this and I could easily find myself back in there if Israel/one of my Facebook friends of friends does something horrible/says something horrible/does something stupid/says something stupid.

paranoid randroid posted:

happy world war one, everybody. lets have a nice round of It's a Long Way to Tipperary and then maybe get exploded by heavy ordinance.

All we need now is a bad case of influenza! :haw:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:unsmith: Thanks. Although I'm saying this and I could easily find myself back in there if Israel/one of my Facebook friends of friends does something horrible/says something horrible/does something stupid/says something stupid.

All we need now is a bad case of influenza! :haw:

Erm well there's that ebola poo poo going on in Africa...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Erm well there's that ebola poo poo going on in Africa...

Psh, it's not WWI until we get started on the Trench Foot.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How about some Ebola? Got to stay up with the times.
E;FB.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I was 12 I would be freaking the gently caress out about this Ebola outbreak.

Not because Ebola kills 12 y.o.'s disproportionally, I was just scared of a bunch of poo poo as a kid.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

If I was 12 I would be freaking the gently caress out about this Ebola outbreak.

Not because Ebola kills 12 y.o.'s disproportionally, I was just scared of a bunch of poo poo as a kid.

I was scared of anthrax as a kid because of Osmosis Jones :saddowns:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was 10 when the USSR collapsed and after a couple of days my mom banned me from watching the news because I was sure some rogue general was going to shoot nukes at us.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The United States is the ebola of foreign policy:

BuzzFeed posted:

The United States government has delivered almost three quarters of a million weapons to Afghanistan’s army and police since 2004 but can’t track where those arms went, according to a new report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, known as SIGAR.

“U.S. and Coalition–provided weapons are at risk of theft, loss, or misuse,” the report said. “We’re very concerned,” added John Sopko, the inspector general, “that weapons paid for by U.S. taxpayers could wind up in the hands of insurgents and be used to kill Americans and Afghan troops and civilians.”

Training and equipping the Afghan National Police and Afghan National Army has been central to President Obama’s Afghanistan policy. But arming the police and army has been plagued by a lack of accountability, the report says.

The weapons distributed to Afghan forces include 465,000 small arms, the report says. But that number might not be accurate, an official with SIGAR said in an interview, because the data from the Department of Defense “is not very reliable.”

On top of the problems in accounting for the guns, the auditors found that Afghan forces have been sent far more rifles, machine guns, and grenade launchers than they need in the first place. For example, Afghanistan received 83,000 excess AK-47 assault rifles.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

razorrozar posted:

I was scared of anthrax as a kid because of Osmosis Jones :saddowns:

I think the only time I got really freaked out as a kid was when the U.S. launched air strikes on Iraq in 1998. It was the first time I remember seeing poo poo blowing up For Real on TV and I was convinced for at least a day that this was like total war, do not pass go. It was inconceivable to me that I would see war in my lifetime.

So, you know, the joke was kind of on me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuzDtsZKDQw&t=1191s

This scared me shitless. (The lady can stop time by saying "shut up".)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Warszawa posted:

I think the only time I got really freaked out as a kid was when the U.S. launched air strikes on Iraq in 1998. It was the first time I remember seeing poo poo blowing up For Real on TV and I was convinced for at least a day that this was like total war, do not pass go. It was inconceivable to me that I would see war in my lifetime.

So, you know, the joke was kind of on me.

At least that's a reasonable thing to be scared of.

9/11 terrified me, but I was 10 at the time so I think that's a reasonable reaction. Also it terrified pretty much everyone at the time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the only thing that terrifies me is the thought of the Ignoble Boche walking the streets of Paris

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched John Oliver at lunch and now I'm scared of nuclear war again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bad news, whiskey drinkers.

quote:

Read the promotional materials for the Rancho de Los Luceros Destilaría and you form an image of a supremely artisanal effort. The distillery creates “small batch heirloom spirits handcrafted in New Mexico.” Each batch of their rye whiskies, vodka, and gin is “individual and unique,” and “each bottle is hand bottled and hand marked with batch and bottle number.”

These are the standard selling points of the craft-distilling movement, with its locavore lingo, terroir talk, and handmade hype. But, in the new crowd of micro-distillers, it is now standard for the alcohol being sold to come not from their own distinctive stills, but from a hulking factory in Indiana.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana (not to be confused with bourbon-locale Lawrenceburg, Kentucky) is home to a massive brick complex that cranks out mega-industrial quantities of beverage-grade alcohol. The factory, once a Seagram distillery, has changed hands over the decades and was most recently acquired by food-ingredient corporation MGP. It is now a one-stop shop for marketers who want to bottle their own brands of spirits without having to distill the product themselves. MGP sells them bulk vodka and gin, as well as a large selection of whiskies, including bourbons of varying recipes, wheat whiskey, corn whiskey, and rye. (They also make “food grade industrial alcohol” used in everything from solvents and antiseptics to fungicides.) Their products are well-made, but hardly what one thinks of as artisanal. And yet, much of the whiskey now being sold as the hand-crafted product of micro-distilleries actually comes from this one Indiana factory.

Upstart spirits companies selling juice they didn’t distill rarely advertise the fact. But there are ways to tell: whiskey aged longer than a distillery has been in business is one of the telltale signs that the “distiller” is actually just bottling someone else’s product. KGB Spirits, the company behind the New Mexico “destilaría,” was founded in 2009; but its flagship Ceran St. Vrain straight rye whiskey comes with an age statement of 15 years in the barrel. Or take Breaker bourbon, the “first bourbon produced in Southern California since Prohibition.” The Buellton, California company behind the brand, Ascendant Spirits, wasn’t started until 2013. Yet, they brag their “ultra small batch bourbon” is aged 5 years. So how do you open a distillery one year and have 5- or 15-year-old whiskey to sell the next? Not by making it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Me too but more of gently caress geckos in space.

Also kale is the loving best.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Follow it up with Doctor Strangelove and The Fog of War.

McNamara will talk relatively dispassionately about planning the firebombing of Tokyo, but is clearly scared shitless of nuclear weapons.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Thanatosian posted:

McNamara will talk relatively dispassionately about planning the firebombing of Tokyo, but is clearly scared shitless of nuclear weapons.

I mean, to someone like McNamara, nukes are a massive world changer and the omnipresent prelude to real Game Over that shaped his entire adult life. For him, the Cuban Missile Crisis was the moment he pressed his face to the glass and saw oblivion.

For the rest of us, it's the setup to a Bob Menendez dick joke.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Thanatosian posted:

And Threads of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol that the top story on CNN right now is the Ebola thing, but only because 2 white people got it. 660 Africans have died from the current outbreak.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Makes me wonder what the situation is like in America's foreign bases. People have been up in arms about the nukes in Kleine Brogel here on and off again since they were put there in '61. If I go out in a blaze of nuclear fire, I'd much prefer it be because we royally pissed someone off rather than it being due to Americans being lazy, cheap and incompetent.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Lol that the top story on CNN right now is the Ebola thing, but only because 2 white people got it. 660 Africans have died from the current outbreak.

I thought we all realized long ago that American media is p much irrevocably hosed.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

R. Mute posted:

Makes me wonder what the situation is like in America's foreign bases. People have been up in arms about the nukes in Kleine Brogel here on and off again since they were put there in '61. If I go out in a blaze of nuclear fire, I'd much prefer it be because we royally pissed someone off rather than it being due to Americans being lazy, cheap and incompetent.

There are way more capital letters in this post than I've come to expect from an R. Mute post. :confuoot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

I can't believe that we even have nukes in Europe any more. I'd be surprised if the Russians even have 10 functional missiles since upkeep on nuclear arsenals is expensive, difficult and constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

razorrozar posted:

There are way more capital letters in this post than I've come to expect from an R. Mute post. :confuoot:
i Can post However i goddamN want.!?

zoux posted:

I can't believe that we even have nukes in Europe any more. I'd be surprised if the Russians even have 10 functional missiles since upkeep on nuclear arsenals is expensive, difficult and constant.
Pretty much every country around here has at least a batch.

• Locked thread