Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunky
Aug 29, 2004

gently caress: quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Craptacular! posted:

How safe is the app store? I'm trying to find a nice icon set and find it weird when they want a lot of permissions for potentially shady reasons like this one.
Looks like the pack is using ads to support itself, according to the reviews. That'd explain some of them at least.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Got a question about Pocket Casts, hopefully someone else here uses it for podcasts! When I subscribe to a podcast (in this example, This American Life) it will only show me like 20 podcasts to download, and they're all random episode number, not even in any particular order. I hit the show older episode thing and it just doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm just not understanding exactly where these podcasts are being downloaded from, and the older ones aren't available?

I have no loving idea what I'm doing, please help.

Sair
May 11, 2007

You can only download the latest episode of This American Life. Try it with something else.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Got a question about Pocket Casts, hopefully someone else here uses it for podcasts! When I subscribe to a podcast (in this example, This American Life) it will only show me like 20 podcasts to download, and they're all random episode number, not even in any particular order. I hit the show older episode thing and it just doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm just not understanding exactly where these podcasts are being downloaded from, and the older ones aren't available?

Some podcasts don't provide full backlogs on their RSS feeds and such, it's more to do with individual podcasts than the app itself.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This American Life is a weekly podcast but since they don't have enough stories for a new podcast everyweek they often repeat old podcasts - that's why it seems out of order as they show the original episode number.

If you look at the date that should be in sequence.

Also they only leave a few past episodes available, they take older ones down. I think you can get them from a paid subscription.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: Disregard this found the other thread.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Specifically on the topic of This American Life, I got fed up with their lovely android app for listening to shows, and instead just created a basic HTML file with links to every episode as they become available, all the way from the first. The code is here if anybody wants it, you can just save it as an html file, or host it externally:
http://pastebin.com/HEzEGUQG

and before anyone asks, yes this is hosted by them, the download source is from their decompiled flash player.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I found an android smartphone somebody dropped on the ground at comic con today. I texted the owners mom and arranged to meet up with the owners dad. They texted me a link, and I clicked on it, and it brought up a map of the local area, and there was a little arrow marker, showing them walking to where I was at, showing an ETA and their movement, like a video game minimap. Forgot what it was called, but it was pretty cool.

What was it?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have this app that adds a second tab to the notification page with these options. I don't know the name of it, but it used to have a button to toggle wifi and is gone now. I don't think it's an app because I can't find one for it, and I'm rooted, but I have no idea what to go to check for its settings. Anyone know about this?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I have this app that adds a second tab to the notification page with these options. I don't know the name of it, but it used to have a button to toggle wifi and is gone now. I don't think it's an app because I can't find one for it, and I'm rooted, but I have no idea what to go to check for its settings. Anyone know about this?

If you click on the four squares icon in the top right. You can edit what appears on the settings panel. You must of accidently toggled it off.

JoeMB fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 28, 2014

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I found an android smartphone somebody dropped on the ground at comic con today. I texted the owners mom and arranged to meet up with the owners dad. They texted me a link, and I clicked on it, and it brought up a map of the local area, and there was a little arrow marker, showing them walking to where I was at, showing an ETA and their movement, like a video game minimap. Forgot what it was called, but it was pretty cool.

What was it?

I think Waze might be able to do this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good memo/notes app? Preferably free, and it would need a good sized widget to go along with it, capable of creating multiple memos/notes and displayable in list for or sqipe through. The default samsung app isnt bad, but id also like the widget to display whatever memo I close it on or set.

I use my phone for business and I dont need clients seeing my fantasy football draft strategy when I try to use it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Can anyone recommend a good memo/notes app? Preferably free, and it would need a good sized widget to go along with it, capable of creating multiple memos/notes and displayable in list for or sqipe through. The default samsung app isnt bad, but id also like the widget to display whatever memo I close it on or set.

I use my phone for business and I dont need clients seeing my fantasy football draft strategy when I try to use it.

Google Keep should be able to do this for you.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Seconding Google Keep.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Google Keep should be able to do this for you.

This is cool but I need a widget that will actual display the memo for me. Idc if it takes up the whole screen or not. I also dont care if I can swipe from the widget. I dont mind opening it to make changes.. ibjust need it to display text

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

This is cool but I need a widget that will actual display the memo for me. Idc if it takes up the whole screen or not. I also dont care if I can swipe from the widget. I dont mind opening it to make changes.. ibjust need it to display text
Keep has a widget which displays all your notes in the order that you have them in Keep and you can scroll through them.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Waroduce posted:

That's exactly what the Google Keep widget is like. Try it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hi Thread. Hopefully this is a quick and easy one. I use Android for my phone (HTC One) and a MacBook at home, and I've just updated the Mac's OS to OS X. With that came Maps, and I seem to have lost any way of syncing Google Maps for my phone with my Mac. Am I missing something obvious? Sorry if this has been asked before.

I really used to like researching places for trips on my computer, saving them as bookmarks and having them appear on my phone. Like magic.

I offer this picture of a duck/rabbit in payment.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Because that picture is so awesome, I'll just tell you that no, unfortunately not (also, I'm sure you had OS X before, now you probably have OS X Mavericks or something). The Maps application on OS X uses Apple Maps, which has no integration with Google--very much by design.

Your best bet is getting Pushbullet, heading over to maps.google.com in your browser, setting up a route or whatever, and pushing the link to your phone which will then open up in Maps on your device.

Also, I've noticed that Google Maps has been getting a lot better about saving pins you've previously visited. Most of the bars I've been to while I've had my phone on me (lol) now show up on Maps even at a pretty high zoom level.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As an OS X and Android user, I can tell you that Google Maps in the browser (obviously not Maps the application) and Maps on the phone sync fine just as they always have. I can see why you prefer Maps the application though since the scrolling isn't all kinds of hosed up the way Google Maps is in the browser.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
The other day I looked up public transport times using google maps on my computer. As I was walking to the bus stop I pulled out my phone and the Maps app already had the trip I was taking loaded on my phone. Pretty handy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

the scrolling isn't all kinds of hosed up the way Google Maps is in the browser.

Could you elaborate on this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Could you elaborate on this?
In OS X you expect two fingers on the trackpad to be like moving a piece of paper on a desk. Two fingers moving down should move the view on the map north, moving them left should move the view west, etc.

In Google Maps in the browser, that action scrolls which is interpreted as zoom so the first thing that I do every time I open it is this zoom out/zoom in thing like a tripping scene in a 60s movie. Grab (click and hold) to move the view is an incredibly awkward move on the trackpad.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

In OS X you expect two fingers on the trackpad to be like moving a piece of paper on a desk. Two fingers moving down should move the view on the map north, moving them left should move the view west, etc.

In Google Maps in the browser, that action scrolls which is interpreted as zoom so the first thing that I do every time I open it is this zoom out/zoom in thing like a tripping scene in a 60s movie. Grab (click and hold) to move the view is an incredibly awkward move on the trackpad.

Ah, I didn't realize you were talking about trackpad use.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Isn't that more of an argument that trackpads suck? They're a mouse replacement and that's how Maps works with a mouse - click drag to pan, mousewheel scroll to zoom in and out

Can't you just double tap to click and hold?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Isn't that more of an argument that trackpads suck? They're a mouse replacement and that's how Maps works with a mouse - click drag to pan, mousewheel scroll to zoom in and out

Can't you just double tap to click and hold?
Except Mac trackpads actually work and as such don't encourage people to use mice like animals. They work so well they encourage trackpads for use with their desktops. I'd say the thing that most OS X users value about it is the consistent user experience throughout rather than Windows' competing UI design among every application and in that regard Google Maps stands in stark relief compared to how everything else in the OS works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Except Mac trackpads actually work and as such don't encourage people to use mice like animals. They work so well they encourage trackpads for use with their desktops. I'd say the thing that most OS X users value about it is the consistent user experience throughout rather than Windows' competing UI design among every application and in that regard Google Maps stands in stark relief compared to how everything else in the OS works.

Nah, mac trackpads are terrible and you wouldn't have trouble moving around the map if they didn't do the bullshit "no physical buttons" thing. It's a good thing Google Maps isn't coded to only work well when a fraction of the small amount of people who even have a mac (i.e the laptop owners) are using it.

So of course it stands in stark relief to how os x stuff works, in order to work well with what you have it'd have to work lovely for the other 96% of the world.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

But it's a universal web app? Where does Windows come into this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't say I didn't understand why Google Maps works the way it does, I said I understand why an OS X user would prefer not to use it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, mac trackpads are terrible and you wouldn't have trouble moving around the map if they didn't do the bullshit "no physical buttons" thing. It's a good thing Google Maps isn't coded to only work well when a fraction of the small amount of people who even have a mac (i.e the laptop owners) are using it.

So of course it stands in stark relief to how os x stuff works, in order to work well with what you have it'd have to work lovely for the other 96% of the world.

Clearly you've never actually used a mac trackpad since mac trackpads are way better than a traditional mouse in just about every way. I seriously hate using mice now whenever I have to.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dik-dik posted:

Clearly you've never actually used a mac trackpad since mac trackpads are way better than a traditional mouse in just about every way. I seriously hate using mice now whenever I have to.

Opinion and fact are actually not the same thing, believe it or not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dik-dik posted:

I have, they're not good. I do own a Macbook Air.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Same. A Mac trackpad is preferable to a mouse in every way. The way trackpads are integrated into the OS through gestures is just so perfect it's easy to forget that a significant portion of computer users don't ever know a good trackpad experience.

My favorite thing about trackpads on Windows is the way two finger scroll is interpreted as three line "clicks" of the mouse wheel because using one-to-one motion would break quarter-century old mice so it will never happen ever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Tried to escape the stupid derail in the device thread. WELP THAT SURE SHOWED ME.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Is there any way to disable the "location accuracy tips: turn on wifi" message in the latest version of Google Maps? They took away the check box from previous versions, and it's annoying to deal with every single time I use the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Is there any way to disable the "location accuracy tips: turn on wifi" message in the latest version of Google Maps? They took away the check box from previous versions, and it's annoying to deal with every single time I use the app.
Yes, keep your wifi on like you should.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

f#a# posted:

Because that picture is so awesome, I'll just tell you that no, unfortunately not (also, I'm sure you had OS X before, now you probably have OS X Mavericks or something). The Maps application on OS X uses Apple Maps, which has no integration with Google--very much by design.

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate it. You're right - it was the Maverick update. I hadn't thought of using Google Maps in a browser - that does just what I want, thank you.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
Does anyone know of an alarm app that will show up over WidgetLocker? Right now when the alarm goes off I have to swipe and then enter my PIN in order to dismiss the stupid alarm, kind of a pain in the arse.

Right now I'm using AlarmDroid and that has no options I can see that will allow this kind of behaviour and googling this specific problem is doing my head in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Coleridge49 posted:

Does anyone know of an alarm app that will show up over WidgetLocker? Right now when the alarm goes off I have to swipe and then enter my PIN in order to dismiss the stupid alarm, kind of a pain in the arse.

Right now I'm using AlarmDroid and that has no options I can see that will allow this kind of behaviour and googling this specific problem is doing my head in.

Timely will do this I think

• Locked thread