Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I eat lots of offal, but I would be insanely hesitant about opening an offal food truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I eat lots of offal, but I would be insanely hesitant about opening an offal food truck.

I don't understand why it's any different from any other meat? Is it more likely to be contaminated or?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rurutia posted:

I don't understand why it's any different from any other meat? Is it more likely to be contaminated or?

My family owns a few food trucks, and you really want to pack in as many people as you possibly can, offal is "scary" unless the people that live near you are into it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

My family owns a few food trucks, and you really want to pack in as many people as you possibly can, offal is "scary" unless the people that live near you are into it.

We are a Hispanic majority city, offal is a thing here. Menudo is the number 1 breakfast behind tacos. Tongue is common place etc.

The taco trucks here sell lengua tacos and tripas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Annath posted:

I'm an adventurous eater, but even I would think carefully about buying organ meat out of the back of a truck.

Man, lengua tacos from taco trucks are the best thing.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
And two of the best sandwiches I've ever had have been a pork belly banh mi and a lamb neck dip.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We are a Hispanic majority city, offal is a thing here. Menudo is the number 1 breakfast behind tacos. Tongue is common place etc.

The taco trucks here sell lengua tacos and tripas.

In that case I'd feel more comfortable doing it. My city has a few offal restaurants and they seem to be doing okay, but people still seem weirded out by them a lot.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
General Tso's sweetbreads is an amazing dish, do it.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Turkeybone posted:

General Tso's sweetbreads is an amazing dish, do it.

Seconding this motion.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Enthusiasm at eating skeletal muscle but reluctance to eat smooth muscle is one of those Things that, when you poke it a little, begins to reveal that pretty much none of Anglo-American culture makes any loving sense at all.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The guys in Boston who used to do the General Tso's Duck Tongue Tacos sold their truck and I am forever sad.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Willie Tomg posted:

Enthusiasm at eating skeletal muscle but reluctance to eat smooth muscle is one of those Things that, when you poke it a little, begins to reveal that pretty much none of Anglo-American culture makes any loving sense at all.

True, but reluctance to eat things such as brains and glandular tissue has a very real cultural basis, as those tissues were historically great reservoirs of disease. Any doc can explain how infections, cancer, pretty much any nasty stuff, can use the lymphatic system to move around a body.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Eating brains or spinal tissue isn't edgy or adventurous, it's foolish: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/bse/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah there's definitely a jump between stuff like tongue and heart, and stuff like lungs and brains. Kidneys, liver, etc. fall somewhere in between, mainly because of their potentially strong flavor.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah never eat a brain.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Brain basically tastes like egg so im not sure why you'd want to eat it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
B-b-but my traditional delicacies!
:qqsay:

Willie Tomg posted:

When you poke it a little, a lot of it is gummy, even when cooked. I am not excited about a whole piece of meat that's the texture of the unchewable fatty chunks of a steak, or of uncooked chicken.

But then, I hate sushi and grav lax etc because of the textures so what do I know? v:v:v

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

In that case I'd feel more comfortable doing it. My city has a few offal restaurants and they seem to be doing okay, but people still seem weirded out by them a lot.

I think we live in the same city. Tell me which restaurants those are!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think we live in the same city. Tell me which restaurants those are!

If you're in Ottawa, Murray Street is probably the best place to get stuff regularly. Union613 has good offal sometimes (and the best cocktails in the city), Atelier will do a few offal courses when you get the tasting menu (which is the only option). Some of the Beckta restaurants (Beckta, Play, Gezellig) have very good offal when it's actually on the menu.

Murray Street pig head will feed 10-15 people pretty easily:

I wish there were more places that did it, but this city is pretty weird about food.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If you're in Ottawa, Murray Street is probably the best place to get stuff regularly. Union613 has good offal sometimes (and the best cocktails in the city), Atelier will do a few offal courses when you get the tasting menu (which is the only option). Some of the Beckta restaurants (Beckta, Play, Gezellig) have very good offal when it's actually on the menu.

I wish there were more places that did it, but this city is pretty weird about food.

Maybe I had a bad experience with pig head but I had it once and once you got past the skin it was just a massive amount of super greasy, unseasoned pulled pork. The grease got everywhere on the plate which ruined both the celery and pepper salad and the 4 buns (???) they served with the entire half-head. I ended up having what I can only say would be a "meat hangover" in the morning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did Cobra Ottawa about a year ago and it was organ meat everywhere, including from Murray Street. The best thing I ate at that event though was a century egg + beef heart item served by the chef from Zen Kitchen. I'm not sure why that guy limits himself to a vegan menu, because before that night I considered century egg to be the most disgusting food I had ever tried...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I forgot about union's very good duck hearts. Also good to know about the Beckta Trifeckta's occasional offal.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I didn't get very good answers in the main thread, and let's face it, I trust you guys more. "destination" restaurants in san francisco / 2-3 hr drive radius? should I just go to yountville?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Went on our local FOX affiliate this morning to do a short cooking segment with the news anchor. Went better than I expected. Never in a million years saw myself doing something like that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

GigaFool posted:

Went on our local FOX affiliate this morning to do a short cooking segment with the news anchor. Went better than I expected. Never in a million years saw myself doing something like that.

GigaFool posted:

Fox has been killing it with the AM lifestyle segments. Nice job.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I didn't get very good answers in the main thread, and let's face it, I trust you guys more. "destination" restaurants in san francisco / 2-3 hr drive radius? should I just go to yountville?

Need more info on what you're looking for/willing to spend/how long you have to make a Res. PM me if you don't want it all up in the thread.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
I came in to open today to find all of the refrigeration on the line broken, with the drawers and coolers blowing hot air making them ~80 degrees inside. We'd had a pretty slow Saturday, so the place was stocked to the gills. We lost so much product and with nobody delivering on Sundays we had to go to cash & carry plus the grocery store. We were killing it on food cost, but now we are going to be WAY over.

we still made it open on time, with nothing 86'd.

Turns out that one of our condensers for the line (walk-ins are on a separate system thank god) shat itself and took the whole system down. Had to ice about half our rails, but the backups got the fridges working.

Not sure whether to be proud of the team for pulling it out, or to cry when I look at the numbers...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Could be worse, you could be icing down an old steam line because the management won't approve your request for proper refrigeration, even though we can afford it, and it would pay for itself in about 4 years. No I'm not angry about it or anything.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
At least you didn't lose the walk in... That would have been complete disaster instead of a giant disaster.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

At least you didn't lose the walk in... That would have been complete disaster instead of a giant disaster.

Generally when walk-ins go down you can save almost all of it, they stay cold for a day or two at least because they're so well insulated. Either way though, lovely luck man.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
At my last job we were closed the first week of every July due to no volume. The first day of which our protein cooler went down.

Imagine a walk-in full of meat that's been at 80 F for a week.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Need more info on what you're looking for/willing to spend/how long you have to make a Res. PM me if you don't want it all up in the thread.

no budget limit, I have never been to california and am willing to spend whatever it takes to make wine country live up to the expectations I have for it. I've been putting off this trip for 4-5 years because I wanted to make sure I'd have money to blow on it.

reservations would be pretty soon, which is my major hurdle. Aug 17-22nd basically.

in to super interesting food. experimental fermentations, foraged poo poo, etc. Also super in to well executed neo-classical french food. demi-glaces, truffles, stinky cheese, correctly cooked fish in delicate sauces. asian influences a plus. also love more interactive elements. my b-day meal at minibar last year was one of my top three favorite dining experiences ever probably. the guy cooking your food was the one handing it to you, and you could just ask whatever questions you wanted about the technique, etc. and you were dining with 6-7 other random strangers.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 28, 2014

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
The two restaurants in San Francisco that would be on the top of my list are:

Saison by Joshua Skenes
Coi by Daniel Patterson
Benu by Corey Lee
The Restaurant at the Meadowood by Christopher Kostow

*disclaimer: I haven't actually been to any of these, and reservations may be tough, but check out some food blogs. Coi and Saison might not be as interactive as you've described, but are at least worth reading about.

In Yountville there are obviously several restaurants. If you're in Napa Valley, at least go to Bouchon Bakery either for breakfast (incredible pastries) or a light lunch (they had some pretty fantastic sandwiches). The gardens across from the French Laundry are also worth a look (The French Laundry, Bouchon, Bouchon Bakery, and Ad Hoc are all along the same street). Also if you're visiting wineries, just ask them for recommendations. If you demonstrate even a bit of knowledge (basically anything but drunken tourist) they should be able to steer you to something great.

I'd also check out the farmers' market and the Ferry Building if you have time, and maybe find some place in China Town -which is worth checking out in it's own right just for the food markets (some with live animals to be sold).

And I'm sure you already know this, but the the wine tours you'll see advertise stop at some pretty touristy spots (about 50/50 from what I remember). But otherwise you'll need a DD because you will get drunk no matter how carefully you thinking you're regulating.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright guys a few questions for you awesome chefs out there.

I have a few dishes I'm working on finishing and I need to get a few opinions.

One of the the menu items is a lamb breast rolled with garlic and parsley, braised in bourbon and lamb broth and served french dip style. I'm feeling it's lacking and I am debating adding cheese. My first thought was an aged Monterrey jack since it's flavorful but not overpowering and melts well. Any other thoughts? Gruyere is another possibility. Can you all think of any other way to bring out the flavor and add to this kind of sandwich?

Second is a pork belly banh mi. When selling to the masses I can make a pretty drat good simple one with traditional flavors, but I'm curious as to if anyone has experimented with non traditional flavor profiles and how successful they were.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Second is a pork belly banh mi. When selling to the masses I can make a pretty drat good simple one with traditional flavors, but I'm curious as to if anyone has experimented with non traditional flavor profiles and how successful they were.

Pretty sure a "nontraditional" banh mi is just a sandwich?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tender Child Loins posted:

Pretty sure a "nontraditional" banh mi is just a sandwich?

Depends on how far you veer from what a traditional banh mi is, or what you even consider traditional. Calling it a banh mi, as long as the menu lists what makes it different, sets expectations in terms of presentation (some combination of baguette, cucumber, carrot, jalapeno, pork, cilantro, pate, mayo, etc.) There are a ton of varieties of banh mi already out there, I don't see why there can't be one more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You should do a banh mi "double down". Slice of pork belly at the bottom. Next comes a layer of cilantro and shredded carrot. In the middle of the sandwich is a slice of baguette with a thick smear of pate spread on the bottom and a light spread of mayo on the top. On top of that is cucumber and jalapeno slices. Topped by another slice of pork belly.

I'm only half kidding.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

One of the the menu items is a lamb breast rolled with garlic and parsley, braised in bourbon and lamb broth and served french dip style. I'm feeling it's lacking and I am debating adding cheese. My first thought was an aged Monterrey jack since it's flavorful but not overpowering and melts well. Any other thoughts? Gruyere is another possibility. Can you all think of any other way to bring out the flavor and add to this kind of sandwich?

Try a good Havarti or similar-textured cheese. Cooper Sharp American would probably be fantastic. I know I know, American cheese, but Cooper Sharp is actually pretty great.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What's your procedure for the lamb and how much bourbon is in the broth? Are you searing the lamb with the garlic and parsley on it? Is it fresh parsley? Breast is a lean cut for braising. Off the top of my head maybe add some "darker" spices to your rub for a little more depth of flavor. Cheese just sounds like a band-aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wroughtirony posted:

What's your procedure for the lamb and how much bourbon is in the broth? Are you searing the lamb with the garlic and parsley on it? Is it fresh parsley? Breast is a lean cut for braising. Off the top of my head maybe add some "darker" spices to your rub for a little more depth of flavor. Cheese just sounds like a band-aid.

Im using lamb breast, so I debone it, trim away most of the fat, salt and pepper it, spread on chopped garlic and parsley with olive oil, roll it up and tie it. Sear it, deglaze that pan with 1/2 cup of bourbon, then braise in the oven with carrots and onions the bourbon liquid and lamb stock from the previous bones pulled out of other breasts. Once it is done braising for a few hours I pull it out, let it rest and strain the juices,deglaze that pan with 1/2 cup of whiskey, pour everything I to a bag and get rid of the fat. That sauce is combined with the stock we just made during the braise and that's the au jus. Then I wrap the lamb in plastic tightly and refrigerate. As soon as it firms up I portion it by slicing it into thin disks.

To serve we quickly sear the portioned lamb, add a bit of the jus to bring it to life, stuff on the baguette and spoon the jus on the bread to give it a good soaking, the serve with a side of au jus.

And the breasts I get are stupid fatty. Like I can trim away 1 pound of fat from a 3 pound breast and it's still fatty as hell.

Here is one after trimming but before tying.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread