Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cool assist trophy choice. Nice to see him get in somehow, considering how many rumors there have been.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RIP.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Well there goes the speculation Nintendo announced a VC localization of The Mysterious Murasame Castle because Takamaru was a playable character in Smash 4.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Glad to see Goemon in this game

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
another blue haired anime swordsman!!!!!

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
That's disappointing. Maybe he'll be the next game's Mac

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
assist trophies always look really weird in pics of the day because of their lower-quality models, they make me think it's just a 'shop for a minute.

still, cool to see him getting some exposure. Now will people stop worrying that he'll take the supposed "famicom legacy character" spot and kick out the ice climbers?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm really hoping the reasoning for not having Takamaru playable isn't because North America hasn't heard of him.

To me, that was a big part of the mystique of the character. An obscure classic, old school character that never registered on the typical American Nintendo fanboy's radar.

Waluigi, Takamaru, Saki, and Oshawott :(

(Still hoping for Sami and Mach Rider...)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was hoping he'd be playable not because I had any attachment to the character but because I was hoping Sakurai would direct an amazing 3DS game starring them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm really hoping the reasoning for not having Takamaru playable isn't because North America hasn't heard of him.
That's bad news for the Earthbound characters!!

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please have a animated face. His eyes look like decals, like he's just staring at the floor or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's summer, 2012. Sakurai studies the pinboard where he considers and arranges all potential characters. After a long pause, he unpins Takamaru's card from the "new fighters" section of the board. He muses to himself "I just don't think Takamaru fans are wishing hard enough", and moves the card under "assist trophies" instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please have a animated face. His eyes look like decals, like he's just staring at the floor or something.
He's just an Assist Trophy, you aren't really gonna notice.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Calling it right now, he'll be playable in Smash 5

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I Don't Think So.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Nah, Tingle is the next AT-to-Fighter in line. Maybe Smash 7.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Quoting for 2020

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Guess that makes him eligible for Project M, whoever he is.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I barely know who this guy is, but I'd be A-okay with Sakurai giving him the Kid Icarus treatment.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think Sma5h needs four slots for Goemon, Ebisumaru, Yae and Sasuke, personally. Cut the dating sim nerds and let some real characters join the battle.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reiley posted:

I think Sma5h needs four slots for Goemon, Ebisumaru, Yae and Sasuke, personally. Cut the dating sim nerds and let some real characters join the battle.

You're a man of great taste. :tipshat:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I barely know who this guy is, but I'd be A-okay with Sakurai giving him the Kid Icarus treatment.

Same. I don't really know much about the series, but from what I hear it's basically Zelda In Japan.
Okami turned out pretty fuckin' neat-o, so.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Reiley posted:

Hey, Fire Emblem: Awakening was a remarkably good dating sim.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Same. I don't really know much about the series, but from what I hear it's basically Zelda In Japan.

Nah, it's a straight-up action game. Kamiya wants to make a new one.

EDIT: and it's not a series, just the one game from ~30 years ago and a cameo here and there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's a one-off top-down action game for the FDS with a similar engine to Zelda 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltYxC0qE-k

It came out on the European 3DS Virtual Console a couple of months ago, with a US release scheduled for August 7. It's not bad!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Reiley posted:

Cut out Ice Climbers and put in Goemon and Ebisumaru as a paired character using their SNES Legend of the Mystical Ninjas models. Also let them do that piggyback move.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Man it's going to be weird when they have to put in two samurai newcomer fighters in the next Smash game after this one.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man it's going to be weird when they have to put in two samurai newcomer fighters in the next Smash game after this one.

It'll make for a really awesome reveal trailer though

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They need to start teasing DLC right after the WiiU game launch. I don't have the stomach to endure another six year wait just for the chance of a Takawaluigimaru new challenger video.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But this poorly translated Sakurai tweet says DLC is for faggots.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Okay, real question a page or two late:

Why use the jump button when you can just use the stick?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cause its too easy to jump when you want to do an up tilt, or sometimes when you were just pressing right or left but I guess your angle was just high enough it made it up.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Szmitten posted:

Okay, real question a page or two late:

Why use the jump button when you can just use the stick?

Because jumping with a button lets you use the control stick to maintain greater control of your momentum. It's a similar reason as to why people favour using the C-stick for aerial moves-- it would otherwise be impossible to do a back air while maintaining forward momentum, for example.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

You are one up on me. I've been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and I still have no drat clue who that is.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Let's be honest, Kid Icarus Uprising was so drat good that we all just want Sakurai to make an Uprising sequel for every old character he revives. Takamaru Uprising... Ice Climbers Uprising...

Hell, maybe even some more recent characters that haven't gotten as much work recently. Mega Man Uprising, anyone? Pac-Man Uprising?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wild Knight posted:

Hell, maybe even some more recent characters that haven't gotten as much work recently. Mega Man Uprising, anyone? Pac-Man Uprising?

Pac-Man Uprising would use all the classic Namco games as Greek Pantheons/worlds to munch around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

How Rude posted:

The gamecube controller in general is very very ergonomic for poo poo like combined or sequential button presses. I would say it's the best controller for any fighter game since it kind of emulates the stick + button combinations that arcade fighters employ. I wish more controllers were shaped like the Gamecube controller, it's just simply comfortable.

As someone who played cvs2 on the gamecube, I can tell you that the gamecube controller is actually pretty bad for actual fighting games. It is pretty comfy but I'm not sure how much of that is just being used to it.

• Locked thread