Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I've been playing lots of Diablo 2/3 and Marvel Heroes lately, any of that sort of ARPG out for the 3DS? DS games would work too, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DiHK posted:

Me and a buddy will often play Risk:Factions on his xbox 360, and I'd like to get something along the same lines, but more complex, for us to play together. I would look for this myself but I don't have an xbox/don't know where to look.

Do you mean something you can both play at the same time?

LordHippoman posted:

I've been playing lots of Diablo 2/3 and Marvel Heroes lately, any of that sort of ARPG out for the 3DS? DS games would work too, of course.

There's a 3DS game called Heroes of Ruin that is exactly that type of game. If that's really the type of game you're set on then go for it, but to me it lacked that little bit of charm that goes a long way with those games. There might be more by now, I'm not sure. You can also probably get it cheap. Personally I love those games too but I had more fun with the hits like Fire Emblem and Bravely Default which are still RPGs.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 24, 2014

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Royal Scrub posted:

Do you mean something you can both play at the same time?

Yes, hot seat or 2 controllers, thought that was implicit by context.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sociopastry posted:

So I play a lot of Starbound, UnReal World, FTL and I'm not terribly fond of terraria, Don't Starve or Minecraft. I want something where I kind of have to manage either crew members (FTL), materials (Starbound, URW) or a mixture of the two. I like being able to make things pretty, too, but that's just a bonus option. I only have a PC atm, any suggestions?

Edit: the reason why I don't like Terraria, Don't Stare and Minecraft is that they're a bit too... I dunno. Like, as soon as you've got a base going, it's all just super easy. Whereas with Starbound, URW and FTL, there's always the looming threat of death and you always need to be careful or things can go sour right quick. (FTL expecially, since I've got Advanced Edition with the Captain's Edition mod on it.)

Why not Cataclysm? http://en.cataclysmdda.com

It's a survival roguelike that's a little bit cyber punk, a little bit TWD, and a little bit rock and roll.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DiHK posted:

Me and a buddy will often play Risk:Factions on his xbox 360, and I'd like to get something along the same lines, but more complex, for us to play together. I would look for this myself but I don't have an xbox/don't know where to look.

Edit: hotseat or 2 controllers. no linked xboxes.

Does it have to be for Xbox? Hot seat console games are practically non-existent.

On PC there's lots. I love Heroes of Might and Magic (Particularly 3 and 5) and Age of Wonders 3, both have good turn-based hotseat action.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

Does it have to be for Xbox? Hot seat console games are practically non-existent.

On PC there's lots. I love Heroes of Might and Magic (Particularly 3 and 5) and Age of Wonders 3, both have good turn-based hotseat action.

Yeah it needs to be xbox, and yeah I know I am looking for a unicorn. He is PC-illiterate, and though his machine could handle older games he is obstinate about it. Either way, hot seating a PC is not nearly as social as chillin' on a couch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DiHK posted:

Yeah it needs to be xbox, and yeah I know I am looking for a unicorn. He is PC-illiterate, and though his machine could handle older games he is obstinate about it. Either way, hot seating a PC is not nearly as social as chillin' on a couch.

I just realized you said two controllers was okay, that opens things up dramatically. What then are you looking for, besides a good co-op game for xbox (360?). Are you looking for more strategy? (Not much on console, but some) or just anything really solid for co-op?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

I just realized you said two controllers was okay, that opens things up dramatically. What then are you looking for, besides a good co-op game for xbox (360?). Are you looking for more strategy? (Not much on console, but some) or just anything really solid for co-op?

PvP Grand Strategy preferably, tactical stuff is ok too. Something along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic or Axis and Allies would be pretty spot on. He is really into tower defense stuff but co-op tower defense strikes me as dull.

Risk:Factions is a good match for us because you can randomize territory assignment and you can load in 3 mostly predictable AI opponents. This effectively cocks-up a game that we've individually mastered since age 12, providing some freshness and challenge. However, it's still Risk ffs. And we've been at it once a week or so for a few months now.

There's a wealth of FPS co-op we could play but we're both armchair generals and I'm not fond of split screen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Children of Mana on DS and Shining Soul 2 on GBA are alright but the genre is kind of sparse on handhelds.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DiHK posted:

PvP Grand Strategy preferably, tactical stuff is ok too. Something along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic or Axis and Allies would be pretty spot on. He is really into tower defense stuff but co-op tower defense strikes me as dull.

Risk:Factions is a good match for us because you can randomize territory assignment and you can load in 3 mostly predictable AI opponents. This effectively cocks-up a game that we've individually mastered since age 12, providing some freshness and challenge. However, it's still Risk ffs. And we've been at it once a week or so for a few months now.

There's a wealth of FPS co-op we could play but we're both armchair generals and I'm not fond of split screen.

A lot of stuff won't work in local multiplayer because you're both sitting there staring at each other's moves on the screen. So while you think there'd be a lot there just isn't. Carcassonne is another board game that has what your'e looking for, sort of. I'm just not sure it has the AI during versus, which could be a big deal. Like I said it only really works because you don't hide cards or units or anything from your opponents, which precludes a lot of board/strategy games from doing local multi even if they're turn based.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DiHK posted:

You might want to look into traditional board gaming/tabletop gaming. This sort of experience is pretty limited outside of stuff for smartphones/android/iOS/etc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

You might want to look into traditional board gaming/tabletop gaming. This sort of experience is pretty limited outside of stuff for smartphones/android/iOS/etc.

This is good advice I think. If you're two players looking for a solid strategy experience you'd probably love a board game called Twilight Struggle

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
We do play boardgames! but we tend not to break stuff out unless there's 3 or more. One of the other guys has Twilight Struggle, so I've not played it b/c me and that guy don't get together on our own, but it sounds cool.

I haven't been totally honest here, when it's just me and the the original guy we like to sit on the couch, get stoned and defeat each other without all the little pieces. Seeing each others card and what not is just price of that convenience. So there's a Carcassarone for Xbox? hmmm.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Why not Cataclysm? http://en.cataclysmdda.com

It's a survival roguelike that's a little bit cyber punk, a little bit TWD, and a little bit rock and roll.

This is amazing. Between this and ToME, I'm set!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
+1 for Heroes of might and magic: clash of heroes. It's one of the few games my wife actually likes to play, and we play against each other sometimes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Most platformers these days use a continuous movement style (as pioneered by Mario I think), but I always find myself just getting frustrated at being terrible at the reflexes and precision involved in them. Are there any platformers that use a more discretized movement style (like Lode Runner, or more to the point: Jill of the Jungle) released in the last few years?

VVV I said released in the last few years. :v:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 26, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jehde posted:

Most platformers these days use a continuous movement style (as pioneered by Mario I think), but I always find myself just getting frustrated at being terrible at the reflexes involved in them. Are there any platformers that use a more discretized movement style (like Lode Runner, or more to the point: Jill of the Jungle) released in the last few years?

Chaganitzu:v:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Need a recommendation for card-based PC games. Are there any games in the "Living Card Game" style that are both playable on PC and also worth buying?

A bit of background: I grew up playing Magic: The Gathering and loved the deck building and strategy, but I have no desire now to purchase anything that involves random chances at cards I want (so Magic Online is straight out, as is anything in the Collectible Card Game line). I'm fine with expansions and predictable purchases, but I don't want to spend more than $10-20 per month tops.

I got the Lord of the Rings card game when it first came out, and really loved the idea of purchasing an expansion for a reasonable price and getting a set list of cards, but none of my friends are much interested in either it or anything else in the same style. So I'm looking for something I can either play online or play single player on my computer, both would be nice but I'd be happy with one or the other.

I played Hearthstone during the closed beta and while it was fun, I didn't get the variety of deck building or deep strategy that I felt was present in Magic. Perhaps that's just rose-colored glasses, but while the game was fun for a bit, it quickly felt very repetitive, and I didn't feel like there was much deck-building depth. Granted, this was 2-3 months before the official launch (I think, it was late beta anyways), so maybe things have improved, but the reviews I have read don't seem to suggest that.

I've also seen Magic 2015 on Steam, but the overall tenor of the reviews gives me pause. It seems to have everything I'm looking for, but nearly every review compares it unfavorably to previous iterations in the series (which I haven't played) and suggest that you really need to buy $30 worth of cards in addition to the base game for $10 (which I don't have a problem doing, so long as that unlocks everything and there's no more transactions). The lack of deck building was what kept me away from the Duels of the Planeswalkers up to this point, and it's inclusion is the only reason I'm not immediately disqualifying Magic 2015.

Any thoughts on what games I should try?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Try playing Netrunner in OCTGN. It's free and has all the expansion cards older than six months and the modern ones with blurred text (so you can use them if you have the physical card or look it up online). It includes deck building and there is a fair amount of players.

The game itself is an asymmetric PvP, one player is a mega corporation that protects their agendas behind all kind of ICEs and firewalls and the other a hacker that tries to steal them. Think Shadowrun, basically.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Need a recommendation for card-based PC games. Are there any games in the "Living Card Game" style that are both playable on PC and also worth buying?

A bit of background: I grew up playing Magic: The Gathering and loved the deck building and strategy, but I have no desire now to purchase anything that involves random chances at cards I want (so Magic Online is straight out, as is anything in the Collectible Card Game line). I'm fine with expansions and predictable purchases, but I don't want to spend more than $10-20 per month tops.

I got the Lord of the Rings card game when it first came out, and really loved the idea of purchasing an expansion for a reasonable price and getting a set list of cards, but none of my friends are much interested in either it or anything else in the same style. So I'm looking for something I can either play online or play single player on my computer, both would be nice but I'd be happy with one or the other.

I played Hearthstone during the closed beta and while it was fun, I didn't get the variety of deck building or deep strategy that I felt was present in Magic. Perhaps that's just rose-colored glasses, but while the game was fun for a bit, it quickly felt very repetitive, and I didn't feel like there was much deck-building depth. Granted, this was 2-3 months before the official launch (I think, it was late beta anyways), so maybe things have improved, but the reviews I have read don't seem to suggest that.

I've also seen Magic 2015 on Steam, but the overall tenor of the reviews gives me pause. It seems to have everything I'm looking for, but nearly every review compares it unfavorably to previous iterations in the series (which I haven't played) and suggest that you really need to buy $30 worth of cards in addition to the base game for $10 (which I don't have a problem doing, so long as that unlocks everything and there's no more transactions). The lack of deck building was what kept me away from the Duels of the Planeswalkers up to this point, and it's inclusion is the only reason I'm not immediately disqualifying Magic 2015.

Magic 2015 is still fun and worth it. Bad nerds are upset because they can't make a deck for poo poo and are losing constantly. If you can make a deck it's still fun.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Azathoth posted:

With the huge caveat that it's very much a (F2P) CCG rather than an LCG, you might look at SolForge. I would also prefer a set-release scheme along LCG lines, but I find the in-game rewards in SolForge to be sufficiently good to make it possible to get a lot out of it with very little financial investment (potentially zero if you're patient and skilled). That, plus the fact that I really like the gameplay itself, makes me willing to deal with the less-than-ideal business model.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Any other instant respawn with notable soundtracks like vvvvvv, super meat boy, hotline miami, etc?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

nachos posted:

Any other instant respawn with notable soundtracks like vvvvvv, super meat boy, hotline miami, etc?

Maybe Stealth Bastard

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So has anything been said about how many viable builds there might be for each class? I mean I know you can have a strength wizard / brainiac fighter and whatever else, but about how many skills are going to be available for each class, and about how many skills out of those will one character be limited to at a time?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreatGreen posted:

So has anything been said about how many viable builds there might be for each class? I mean I know you can have a strength wizard / brainiac fighter and whatever else, but about how many skills are going to be available for each class, and about how many skills out of those will one character be limited to at a time?

In which game?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

In which game?

I think he's talking about the Pillars of Eternity, the upcoming RPG from Obsidian, and doesn't realize he posted it in the wrong thread.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think he's talking about the Pillars of Eternity, the upcoming RPG from Obsidian, and doesn't realize he posted it in the wrong thread.

Whoops, bingo.

Sorry guys. :saddowns:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

nachos posted:

I didn't play much of it since I'm not really into that style of game but Electronic Super Joy has some sick beats.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

nachos posted:

Shatter is a breakout game with a ripping soundtrack and a tight gameplay loop.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Im looking for a rpg that has base building as a huge component.

Something sort of like suikoden, one of my favorite parts of that game was upgrading your castle as you played.

I've heard skies of arcadia has a similar thing with your ship and crew in the later chapters, any other reccomendations?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a cat youtube posted:

Something sort of like suikoden, one of my favorite parts of that game was upgrading your castle as you played.

I've heard skies of arcadia has a similar thing with your ship and crew in the later chapters, any other reccomendations?

You get a base at around the midpoint IIRC of Divinity II. It felt kind of rushed in some places but it was there.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Azathoth posted:

Etherlords 2 from GOG for $6.
http://www.gog.com/game/etherlords_2

It plays very similar to M:TG, but you also roam around RPG style and find or loot cards from opponents you beat. It's a fun game, I even beat it twice.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

a cat youtube posted:

It is much more SRPG than RPG, but have you played any of the XCOM games? All of them except the non-strategy spinoffs have basebuilding and economic management as significant factors in gameplay, and the possibility of your base being invaded, with the map layout directly corresponding to how you've built the base, which has big tactical concerns (except in the 2012 reboot where it is static).

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»

Azathoth posted:

Check out Might & Magic: Duel of Champions on Steam. It's a free-to-play tactical CCG that just got revamped (rewards tweaks, new expansion, ranking reset) and is quite a bit of fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

a cat youtube posted:

On the traditional RPG side Breath of Fire 2 and 3, Atelier Meruru and Xenoblade Chronicles have build/recruit town portions. Azure Dreams is a Mystery Dungeon style game where you can build up your town in between dungeon runs that opens up new quests. To a lesser extent there's Bravely Default where the town building is basically just a few menu options.

On the more action side is Actraiser, a classic example. Dark Cloud is built entirely around recreating destroyed towns. Dark Cloud 2 has a simpler town building mechanic but it's a far better game than the original. The spiritual successors White Knight Chronicles and its sequel feature a detailed town creation system. Little King's Story is best described as Pikmin mixed with a town builder. Depths of Peril and Hinterland are Diablo-esque games based around town building and adventuring.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as King is a straight city building simulator but it plays similar to Majesty in that you set bounties for adventurers to go out and fight monsters to bring back materials to build your town with.

Legend of Mana is about placing world components on a big map, no actual recruiting or anything, but it's one of the most user-input friendly RPGs I've played. You can forge weapons, create magic, the placement of levels effects a levels attributes, the story is non-linear, you can even program your very own robot guardian.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

pigdog posted:

Etherlords 2 from GOG for $6.
http://www.gog.com/game/etherlords_2

It plays very similar to M:TG, but you also roam around RPG style and find or loot cards from opponents you beat. It's a fun game, I even beat it twice.

I liked Etherlords 1 but couldn't get into 2, personally.

It was also a very difficult game, IIRC (but my memory is hazy).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kubla Khan posted:

I liked Etherlords 1 but couldn't get into 2, personally.

It was also a very difficult game, IIRC (but my memory is hazy).

Maybe you had them backwards... it's Etherlords 1 that was considered a mess.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Azathoth posted:

Have you checked out Infinity Wars?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257730/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Are there any good space flight/dogfight games, preferably for 360? I wanna be Han Solo, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are there any good space flight/dogfight games, preferably for 360? I wanna be Han Solo, basically.

The last decent one I can think of was Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter for the original Xbox.

If you want dogfighting and can accept modern-day setting, Ace Combat is pretty good times. There's several on 360 and they're all pretty great really.

If you want real good space dogfighting you're just gonna have to get on PC. Freespace, X3, Elite: Dangerous, etc.