Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Have you looked at the Surface Pro 3? You can try out both at Best Buy before you pull the trigger on either.
The surface pro 3 is really cool and I'd like one but I think in the end I'd be happier with a real laptop. I already have a nice and light iPad Air for leisure use.

Yip Yips posted:

I once heard that the screens on them have burn in issues and then later heard they had color issues. Did they fix them?
Never heard anything about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't suppose there's any chance Microsoft would ever make a Surface laptop proper?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How's the performance in gif heavy threads on SA?
So the worst in my experience is the smiles page just due to the sheer number of animated gifs on it. Performance is pretty much on par with the Haswell. Scrolling is just fine, but if you scroll really quickly you'll get checkerboards for a quarter of a second while it repaints 50 or so smiles. I think that's the only time I've ever seen it checkerboard too.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How's the performance when playing some music through Google Play Music's site while browsing in other tabs? Does music pop, buzz, or stutter while doing so?
Not sure about Google music, I don't use that service. But I do regularly play mp3 and aac files on the device media player and they don't skip, even when scrolling the smiles page. Playing YouTube videos in the background is fine too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So the worst in my experience is the smiles page just due to the sheer number of animated gifs on it. Performance is pretty much on par with the Haswell. Scrolling is just fine, but if you scroll really quickly you'll get checkerboards for a quarter of a second while it repaints 50 or so smiles. I think that's the only time I've ever seen it checkerboard too.

Not sure about Google music, I don't use that service. But I do regularly play mp3 and aac files on the device media player and they don't skip, even when scrolling the smiles page. Playing YouTube videos in the background is fine too.

Well, sounds like I'll be picking this up. Thanks for the feedback!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance Microsoft would ever make a Surface laptop proper?

It's supposed to be their flagship demonstrator for Windows OS tablet touch features; possible, but not probable.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
If get the Thinkpad Yoga would I be a sad panda if I got the i5 with 4gb ram over the i7 with 8gb?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Hadlock posted:

That's about par for the course; they're probably in the middle of a production run for Model X, and when they ink a deal for a couple hundred T440S, yours will be added to the production run.

Well that sucks. So their estimated ship date is basically a lie? If I'd known this, I probably would've just walked into an Apple store and walked out with a computer.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

If get the Thinkpad Yoga would I be a sad panda if I got the i5 with 4gb ram over the i7 with 8gb?

4 GB is pretty insufficient, but an i5 is a great processor. Can you customize it with 8 GB RAM?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I got the Thinkpad Yoga with the i5, 8 gig of RAM and the digitizer. This is a fantastic little machine.

As far as the display goes, I think they fixed the color issue shortly after launch. There is some very minor ghosting going on though, only noticed that the other day on a specific dark blue background at a certain viewing angle. Nothing noticeable, basically.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So what's the breakdown with Dell's naming of Latitudes? The 3000 series seems kind of suspiciously cheap to be a genuinely durable series of laptops so I assume to get actual quality machines I need to be looking at the 5000 series and up?

And what's up with the Es or no Es in front of the model number?

Also, are Latitudes as friendly to user upgrades as Thinkpads with respect to RAM and HDs?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

4 GB is pretty insufficient, but an i5 is a great processor. Can you customize it with 8 GB RAM?

Yes. It's options are the the base i3(which I don't want)
So we got the i5 4200u, then the i5 4300u for $70 extra, then the i7 4500u for $40 ontop of that(so +$110). Then the i7 4600u for $130 above the others (so +$240).

Rhaka posted:

I got the Thinkpad Yoga with the i5, 8 gig of RAM and the digitizer. This is a fantastic little machine.
Which i5? I'm just tempted for the i7 because it's only $40 ontop of the better i5.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Yes. It's options are the the base i3(which I don't want)
So we got the i5 4200u, then the i5 4300u for $70 extra, then the i7 4500u for $40 ontop of that(so +$110). Then the i7 4600u for $130 above the others (so +$240).
Which i5? I'm just tempted for the i7 because it's only $40 ontop of the better i5.

The better i5 doesn't seem $70 better to me, but I'm a bit of a stickler.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4300U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200U

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Bum the Sad posted:

The i5-4200u. There was no 4300 when I ordered it, and the i7 would have been about 120 euros more expensive, which didn't seem the best bang for my buck.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Mirconium posted:

So what's the breakdown with Dell's naming of Latitudes? The 3000 series seems kind of suspiciously cheap to be a genuinely durable series of laptops so I assume to get actual quality machines I need to be looking at the 5000 series and up?

I think 6000 and up, really. But it depends on what your standard of quality is.

quote:

Also, are Latitudes as friendly to user upgrades as Thinkpads with respect to RAM and HDs?

Yes. Well, with respect to HD, yes. With respect to RAM? Maybe there's a few more parts/screws to remove, or less, I don't know.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Breakdown videos seem to indicate that the E7440 is actually considerably easier to upgrade than the T440s for both ram and HD (you get access to both from the same 2 screw panel). But drat it's a really really plain laptop... :( I mean, I get it, all business all the time, but the T440s is just prettier.

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~
There is a huge issue with all thinkpad yoga screens and ghosting/image retention. Do not buy them.

Sapato
May 31, 2005
:)
OK so its time for me to buy a laptop, i won't be doing much gaming on it besides World of Warcraft., and a few steam games here and there. I'm NOT looking for everything to run at max settings, but medium would be nice.

I have $500 to buy one, can someone please take time out of ur day to help me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's what I've found so far...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...2&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=7

then theres the freaky touch scree / laptop hybrids

thanks for all of your help!!!

The guy at best buy said the AMDS are the ones with the best gfx cards.

Sapato fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been reading this thread a lot recently as I'll be going to the USA in October and will be looking to buy a super laptop.

I'm on the move a lot (not every day, like every few months) and want a beast of a laptop that will be able to edit 4k video and easily play all the latest games on ultra. I've never had a high spec PC/laptop and now it's my chance!

It's been a mission sorting through Amazon and XoticPC, but I really like the look of the Alienware 18. Yes it's big and heavy, and I know that for the same price you can build one hell of a micro-ATX PC, but then you have to lug around a monitor, keyboard, speakers etc. It's just a hassle.

The MSI laptops seem OK, but apparently they overheat and I don't much like the look of them. Sager seem to have better value, but man they're ugly.

I found Xotic through this thread and I know one person had a bad experience with them recently but they mostly have good reviews. So if I did order a laptop through them, how worthless are their upgrades? I see you can add a Samsung SSD 250Gb for $180, but it's only $140 on Amazon, so that's a massive rip off to install a HDD. Is their cooling paste worth it? I'm assuming I can easily overclock myself so that's also a waste of money.

Basically any advice would be great, maybe recommendations for a 17" laptop with better specs? This might all be moot in October anyway. Thanks!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shrughes posted:

I think 6000 and up, really. But it depends on what your standard of quality is.

Dunno, we recently bought a stack of Latitude 3340, and they have nice rubberised edges, a water sealed keyboard, and a hinge that goes past 180°. They seem like they wouldn't fall apart.

Sapato
May 31, 2005
:)
I have about 750$ and want a laptop that I can play WoW on it, and do something photo editing, movie editing. What do i need?

EDITL So I read the first post have come across this laptop:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-...2&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=4

please respond within 30 min or ill be on my to buy it

Sapato fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 28, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thinkpad T440s graphics card says "Without Docking connector". What does that mean exactly?

I have two DVI monitors that I'd like to plug into the laptop at the same time. Is that possible? Do I just need to find a docking station thingy that has two DVI ports?

e: Lenovo support guy just said there's no way to plug in an external monitor if I get the T440s w/Nvidia Graphics :(

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 28, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

Thinkpad T440s graphics card says "Without Docking connector". What does that mean exactly?

I have two DVI monitors that I'd like to plug into the laptop at the same time. Is that possible? Do I just need to find a docking station thingy that has two DVI ports?

e: Lenovo support guy just said there's no way to plug in an external monitor if I get the T440s w/Nvidia Graphics :(

If you don't get the docking station you'll have to use something like a USB video adapter or Matrox DualHead2Go

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Bob Morales posted:

If you don't get the docking station you'll have to use something like a USB video adapter or Matrox DualHead2Go

Support guy said it wouldn't connect to a docking station anyway so yeah I'd have to try one of those other things.

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol
Looking for a lightweight and long battery life laptop/ultrabook with medium video game ability.

I'm travel for work and want to play Crusader Kings II and Civ 5 when I'm going back and forth over the Atlantic. A few of the Zenbooks have an Nvidia 840M in them, but I've heard Asus has iffy workmanship. Any suggestions?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Well bit the bullet and ordered a Core i7 4500u, 8gb Ram, w/ FHD digitizer screen and 256gb SSD from the Microsoft Store for $1399 +tax. Was like $200 cheaper then the Barnes and Noble Gold link. And if something is wrong with it I think the Microsoft Store is gonna be a better bet for returns and replacements as I can just drive to the one 25 minutes away.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 28, 2014

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gonna get a lot of flak for this because of the OP, but here we go.

I need a gaming laptop!

My brother is a train conductor and spends a lot of time at bunk houses around the country between shifts. He basically drives a train somewhere, stays a day or two, then drives back. So he needs something mobile that he can kill a lot of time on, but weight isn't an issue since he isn't carrying it around much. It would be in his nightly luggage bag.

He has an old Dell laptop he games on but its starting to die, so he needs a replacement. He wants something for under $1000, though cheaper is better, that will play current gen games and whatever comes out for the next few years. It doesn't have to be some monster rig that plays everything on Ultra, just needs to be reasonable and hassle free.

I've tried looking around at local deals and its clear the 4xxx are the way to go, but I just dunno what brands are good these days or what to look for in a mobile GPU.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

fuf posted:

You can get a T440s that has a graphics card or a T440s that has a docking connector on the bottom, but not both at the same time.

fuf posted:

It is if you have a docking connector (and it's hooked up to a dock), and (therefore) no NVIDIA graphics chip. If you do have an NVIDIA graphics chip, then you'll need some USB 3.0 display adapter, which generally works OK (on Windows) but you know it's icky. (One USB 3.0 display adapter and one mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, preferably.)

fuf posted:

False: The mini-DisplayPort port, the VGA port, and a USB 3.0 display adapter. I know I'd be quite happy with VGA output at 1920x1200 from the T440s, though it is slightly distinguishable from a digital signal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bam thwok posted:

Well that sucks. So their estimated ship date is basically a lie? If I'd known this, I probably would've just walked into an Apple store and walked out with a computer.

I would call them every day and get a status update, and demand a 10% discount for not meeting the original ship date, see if you can get it out the door faster, let them know you're ready to cancel your order if it doesn't ship in say, 4 days... otherwise yes perhaps you should look at an Apple if you absolutely need it. They may be able to expedite but yes it's not at all uncommon to see extended delays up to 30 days. If you can work your way through their labyrinth of phone people you might be able to get it faster. It's worked for others before but we won't guarantee anything. Lenovo is sort of famous for taking forever to build and ship bespoke world class laptops.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Gonna get a lot of flak for this because of the OP, but here we go.

I need a gaming laptop!

My brother is a train conductor and spends a lot of time at bunk houses around the country between shifts. He basically drives a train somewhere, stays a day or two, then drives back. So he needs something mobile that he can kill a lot of time on, but weight isn't an issue since he isn't carrying it around much. It would be in his nightly luggage bag.

He has an old Dell laptop he games on but its starting to die, so he needs a replacement. He wants something for under $1000, though cheaper is better, that will play current gen games and whatever comes out for the next few years. It doesn't have to be some monster rig that plays everything on Ultra, just needs to be reasonable and hassle free.

I've tried looking around at local deals and its clear the 4xxx are the way to go, but I just dunno what brands are good these days or what to look for in a mobile GPU.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/ The Lenovo Y40 and Y50 laptops have good mobile GPUs are not too big, can run pretty much anything, and are fairly priced for what you are getting.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7338-clevo-w230ss-eta-may-22nd-p-6992.html A bit more pricier, The Sager np7338 skirts around the 1000 mark has a bit more powerful GPU, better build quality, and is easier to upgrade certain parts such as the hard drive and memory. I am currently looking into getting one of these. (Standard price does not include OS)

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 29, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

GF860M (Maxwell version) or better if you want to keep it snappy for more than a year or so.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
Hey guys, I bought too many computers. I have 2 ThinkPad T440s machines with 1080p IPS displays for sale on SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653977

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I have somewhat of a dilemma on my hands.
I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos Ultrabook that I love, it's a pretty sweet deal. However, the semester is fast approaching and I've been in the market for a tablet for book-reading, note-taking, and general portability for when I don't want to bust out my laptop. Problem is I haven't found a product on the market that fits my needs exactly. The Surface Pro 3 does a bit too much but I LOVE the feel of the pen. The Samsung Note Pro 12.2 has design issues and has a slightly worse pen situation going for it, without being all that much cheaper than a Surface Pro. I played with an iPad mini the other day, and it was OK but had the shittiest stylus interaction of them all.

I know this isn't really a tablet thread. So my question is, has anyone used their Ultrabook touch-screen for note taking and/or doodling/drawing? If so, what stylus should I pick up for that?

Bonus questions for anyone who happens to know:

I'm a bit ignorant of the technology behind touchscreens and their relationship with stylus'-- is the smoother/better interaction with stylus in the NotePro and Surface primarily due to technology in the screen itself, in the stylus, or a combination of both?

And, if anyone happens to have advice about tablets, I'd love to hear it. The closest one to getting my money right now is the either the Surface Pro 3 i5 (goodbye money) or the Nexus 7 (prefer a bigger screen for note taking, but it may be good enough value?)

edit: Just realized Inspect Your Gadget exists. Please focus on the laptop-related questions, but if anyone *does* happen to have stylus technology/tablet advice, PM me or whatever.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 29, 2014

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Is there any consensus on ultrabooks on non-Yoga ultrabooks? The Asus Zenbook, Acer Aspire S7, Samsung ATIV 9 Plus, and Dell XPS 13 are all within $100 of each other and have the same internals (i5 4200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD). So it seems to come down to screen and build quality. Any thoughts on these, or should I just say gently caress it and get the Yoga?

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~
Samsung is hands down winner out of those you mentioned. Series 9s are probably the best build quality ultrabooks I can think of. Zenbooks have really nice screens, and compete fairly well with the samsung except the QC might not be as good. XPS 13 i've heard is pretty good except for some sort of wierd whining sound and lots of heat under load. Acer has the worst keyboard of the bunch but other than that their s7 is nice. The yoga is no good, because of a lovely screen that has huge ghosting issues. If the thinkpad yoga screen wasnt a piece of poo poo i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's the thing about the Samsung Ativa Plus Waffle Cut Edition. It comes with a nasty little program that will make your colors look terrible and desaturated on battery. Oh but Duck and Cover that's just an easy energy saving fix the options right here see? WRONG while there are options that you may think will turn it off they do not. You'll need to find LCDmodechecker and delete it I think it's in the settings program folder. Stupid piece of poo poo company can't just give honest battery life numbers so they add lovely software that makes your display look terrible just to inflate the numbers. Also trying to get rid of the settings program messes up your sound controls.

To long didn't read? Fine. Samsung Ativa Plus is good hardware poo poo software.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2014

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.
My aunt just had a work laptop die on her and needs a replacement tomorrow. Any thoughts/recommendations on brick-and-mortar stores to avoid/look for (we're in the northeast USA if that matters)?

We're looking for a smaller laptop mostly for text editing (has to be windows, she has specific dedicated software for her job), and probably not looking to spend too much.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question.

logicow
Jun 29, 2012

eelmonger posted:

Is there any consensus on ultrabooks on non-Yoga ultrabooks? The Asus Zenbook, Acer Aspire S7, Samsung ATIV 9 Plus, and Dell XPS 13 are all within $100 of each other and have the same internals (i5 4200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD). So it seems to come down to screen and build quality. Any thoughts on these, or should I just say gently caress it and get the Yoga?

There's a zenbook with a GeForce 840M if gaming is your thing. (3200x1800 display same as ATIV 9 and Yoga 2 Pro)
I would've went for it but I'm scared of mustard yellows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AntimatterSpork posted:

My aunt just had a work laptop die on her and needs a replacement tomorrow. Any thoughts/recommendations on brick-and-mortar stores to avoid/look for (we're in the northeast USA if that matters)?

We're looking for a smaller laptop mostly for text editing (has to be windows, she has specific dedicated software for her job), and probably not looking to spend too much.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question.

Best Buy has the Dell XPS 12 and XPS 13 on occasion. Both have really good 1080p screens but they're pricey.

You're going to find mostly junk at big box stores, good luck...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

shrughes posted:

You can get a T440s that has a graphics card or a T440s that has a docking connector on the bottom, but not both at the same time.

It is if you have a docking connector (and it's hooked up to a dock), and (therefore) no NVIDIA graphics chip. If you do have an NVIDIA graphics chip, then you'll need some USB 3.0 display adapter, which generally works OK (on Windows) but you know it's icky. (One USB 3.0 display adapter and one mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, preferably.)

False: The mini-DisplayPort port, the VGA port, and a USB 3.0 display adapter. I know I'd be quite happy with VGA output at 1920x1200 from the T440s, though it is slightly distinguishable from a digital signal.

Thanks for this comprehensive reply. :)
I ended up just getting the non-Nvidia version so I can use the dock. I shouldn't be playing games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I managed to snag a Yoga 13 refurb off the outlet today after many attempts at it or the thinkpad yoga with the better display. Finally beat those loving bots.