Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MGN001 posted:

Are there any games like MGR, DMC, or Bayonetta that you guys recommend?

Honestly if you've played all of those and want more of the same, your best bet at the moment is to get a Wii U for The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

I think Platinum's Korra game is coming to PC? But that's a licensed property game with what seems to have been a short development time so who knows if it'll be up to their usual standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Honestly if you've played all of those and want more of the same, your best bet at the moment is to get a Wii U for The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

I think Platinum's Korra game is coming to PC? But that's a licensed property game with what seems to have been a short development time so who knows if it'll be up to their usual standards.

Licensed by Activision of all companies.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Welp, I guess I'd better finish Divinity 2 and Dragon Commander before getting DOS.
Nope, other than taking place in the same setting, they're separate. There's even a subtle ad for Dragon Commander in one of the NPC conversations.

idgi

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 28, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Terrible pseudo-anime games for everyone :shepspends:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

lordfrikk posted:

Terrible pseudo-anime games for everyone :shepspends:

Yo Paaaalpek.... you reviewing this right?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hypha posted:

Yo Paaaalpek.... you reviewing this right?
I searched for it on Steam but it's not coming up, maybe it's region locked in Germany due to high amount of violent and/or Htiler content in anime games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Winter%20Wolves

Shows 13 games for me. Lucky!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

I searched for it on Steam but it's not coming up, maybe it's region locked in Germany due to high amount of violent and/or Htiler content in anime games.

I can gift you a copy

Orv
May 4, 2011

duckfarts posted:

I can gift you a copy

Don't encourage him! :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The joke is that I searched for "Terrible pseudo-anime games for everyone" but whatever.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
The real crime is that they're doing the DLC thing with bad VNs that are really short to begin with.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Please don't buy anything from Winter Wolves. Their games are terrible, cliched, and just plain goddamn clunky.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've had Skyrim on my library for a while now and I want to really give it the attention it deserves. Is it worth running through the game unmodded or is there like a generally accepted as good mod out there?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's fine without mods. Just play the game naturally and don't grind easily grindable skills like blacksmithing because you'll gently caress your character up.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've had Skyrim on my library for a while now and I want to really give it the attention it deserves. Is it worth running through the game unmodded or is there like a generally accepted as good mod out there?

GASP. Generally accepted skyrim practices.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

If youre playing with mouse and keyboard skyui is a nicer interface than the default but otherwise skyrim doesn't have anything essential. Might want the unofficial patches to fix a few quest bugs too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Get SkyUI to make the UI not terrible, that's the most important one.

There's also the unofficial patches for the main game and the DLCs that fix a lot of smaller issues and bugs in them.

E: Welp

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finally carved my way through the Witcher, which did actually get better! Still, it has to be one of the most lopsided games in terms of quality I've ever played - those first few chapters are painful.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You can also live without those. It's not like Oblivion. For the sake of not stalling anymore I'd just launch the game and start playing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

You can also live without those. It's not like Oblivion. For the sake of not stalling anymore I'd just launch the game and start playing.

You can live without a lot of things, but you use your inventory all the time in Skyrim so I can't really think of a reason why you'd purposefully suffer the lovely default one when there's no need to.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Finally carved my way through the Witcher, which did actually get better! Still, it has to be one of the most lopsided games in terms of quality I've ever played - those first few chapters are painful.

2 is a considerably better game in nearly every aspect, if you enjoyed the first one enough to pursue it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kanfy posted:

You can live without a lot of things, but you use your inventory all the time in Skyrim so I can't really think of a reason why you'd purposefully suffer the lovely default one when there's no need to.
Well, considering the guy hasn't launched Skyrim yet despite owning it for a while I'd rather encourage him to just click play instead of browsing the internet for various mods no matter how small. At least that's my point.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orv posted:

2 is a considerably better game in nearly every aspect, if you enjoyed the first one enough to pursue it.

I will. Just been poking around in the Witcher folder and the Enhanced Edition has some weird stuff tucked away inside it. A pervy motion comic where you have to undo a girl's dress, a grainy Polish making of an.. an album of experimental music 'inspired' by the Witcher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsXritC4DI

???

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Well, considering the guy hasn't launched Skyrim yet despite owning it for a while I'd rather encourage him to just click play instead of browsing the internet for various mods no matter how small. At least that's my point.

I don't think the guy would've asked about mods in the first place if he wasn't willing to go through installing them. Besides, SkyUI is only one mod and the download page is literally the first hit on google.

But I'll make it easy, all one needs beforehand is the script extender from here. The actual mod is here.

And if one wants them, the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is here and the same thing for the three DLCs are here, here and here. They're not as critical but fewer bugs is always a good thing in my book, especially in a game as big as Skyrim.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Kanfy posted:

Also the inventory is fine if you play using a controller right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I will. Just been poking around in the Witcher folder and the Enhanced Edition has some weird stuff tucked away inside it. A pervy motion comic where you have to undo a girl's dress, a grainy Polish making of an.. an album of experimental music 'inspired' by the Witcher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsXritC4DI

???

If nothing else that's a pretty great artist name.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Also the inventory is fine if you play using a controller right?

Functional, certainly not enjoyable.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Orv posted:

Functional, certainly not enjoyable.

Pretty much sums up Skyrim, imo. It's like incredibly well orchestrated, insanely well produced lift music.

e: or designer beige trousers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Pretty much sums up Skyrim, imo. It's like incredibly well orchestrated, insanely well produced lift music.

e: or designer beige trousers.

Actually it's one of the best videogames ever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Actually it's one of the best videogames ever.

Or a fairly mediocre one that needs a shitload of mods to be remotely enjoyable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or a fairly mediocre one that needs a shitload of mods to be remotely enjoyable.

How many hours have you put into it according to Steam? I bet it's somewhere around 100. Probably more right?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

all the people posted:

Skyrim mods

The point about making a test run is a good one, make sure the base game works with latest patches.

Just in case because people ask because related- What DLC do I need?
-All of them, although do get them on sale. Each mod adds some little things like extra items or features to the base game. I think it's Dragonborn that allows you to craft arrows? So even if you don't want that DLC, you probably do want the stuff it adds to the game (or the extra content that you unlock by finding mods that incorporate those DLCs).

Most important mods, IMHO:
-SkyUI for m+kb. The menu was optimized for and is playable with a controller, but there are some dumb problems for mouse+keyboard, SkyUI makes enough improvements that you can now stomach the bad parts. It's also nice even if you have a controller, but less necessary.
-Unofficial patches. Want quests to not bork? (Best with all DLC, as there are mega-fixes that rely on them)
-Immersive armor/weapons. Adds a ton of new stuff, puts them on people in the game world, and all the new stuff has extra crafting options (if you hate all the new items, take them to a forge or smelter and de-forge them to gain materials).
-High-res texture packs if your rig can handle it. There is an official texture pack that looks great, and plenty of unofficial ones, as well as mesh improvements- which translated means the game will use more processing so you see less polygons. If you're going to spend 200 hours here it might as well look its best.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How many hours have you put into it according to Steam? I bet it's somewhere around 100. Probably more right?
But you don't understand, if it's not the best game of all time then it's absolute garbage.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
You should use SkyUI even if you're playing with a controller. The Vanilla UI is rear end regardless of your input device and as someone who's played Skyrim extensively with both inputs I feel like the controller benefits from SkyUI just as much, if not more, than M&K do.

There's also no reason to skip the unofficial patches.

Don't install anything else for your first playthrough. Not right away anyway. If you find there's something you want to mod partway through, almost any mod short of alternate starts and perk overhauls can be added mid playthrough (and even then some perk overhauls are worked well enough to be addable midgame). Just don't remove any mods mid playthrough because that can royally gently caress your savefile.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

48, actually.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Skyrim's a good timewaster but it doesn't really have any one feature that really stands out. The combat's alright, the quests are alright, the environment is alright with some highs and some lows. It's a good game because it's of stable quality but not a great game because it doesn't really do anything extremely well.

This is all my personal opinion, of course.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Whoops my bad, only two days of your life given over to mediocrity then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think it actually has really great environment design that still hasn't been challenged by an open world RPG.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, guys. I had actually played like an hour of Skyrim just to get past the intro and do one dungeon, but I kind of forgot to come back to it. I think I will just continue unmodded for now

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If amount of time played is the only criterion for a game being good then solitaire is indisputably the greatest game of all time. There are lots and lots of games that are really good time wasters that nobody would call great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Joshlemagne posted:

If amount of time played is the only criterion for a game being good then solitaire is indisputably the greatest game of all time. There are lots and lots of games that are really good time wasters that nobody would call great.

I think his point was more "why did you play a 'mediocre' game for that long then huh :smaug:", which is actually a terrible point because 40+ hours is basically a full playthrough anyway.

• Locked thread