Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
So the only Power Rangers series I watched in full is Power Rangers RPM. I watched couple episodes of each series from Turbo to Wild Force when they appeared on TV. I loved RPM and was glad to find other fans liking them as well. I haven't watched any Power Rangers after that, but I have one question.

From trawling through a Ranger Wiki, I found that apparently RPM happened in an alternate universe?

Also I never realized the actor and actress that played Ziggy and Dr. K are married to each other. The shippers must have gone insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

toanoradian posted:

From trawling through a Ranger Wiki, I found that apparently RPM happened in an alternate universe?

It was supposed to be the finale of the franchise, until Haim Saban resurrected the series. It works well as an after-the-end type scenario, but not so much as a scenario that continues on to the next year.

Also that's neat about the two of them.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

toanoradian posted:

So the only Power Rangers series I watched in full is Power Rangers RPM. I watched couple episodes of each series from Turbo to Wild Force when they appeared on TV. I loved RPM and was glad to find other fans liking them as well. I haven't watched any Power Rangers after that, but I have one question.

Also I never realized the actor and actress that played Ziggy and Dr. K are married to each other. The shippers must have gone insane.

Yeah, alternate universe with vague trappings of a future scenario. Its a bit like with how Lost Galaxy had to be retconned into something else timeline wise once other franchise elements came into play. There were theories though for a while on how it might slot in, including that it was basically the distant backstory to Time Force's future (where in the crossover episode we see Ransik wandering a somewhat desolate Earth).

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
So I started up a blog where I'm talking about the Power Rangers, episode by episode, and wanted to show you folks in here. I'm just getting started and wanted to see what folks had to say. Also, Mr. Ticklesneezer is the worst monster in all of Season 1. There's no debate to be found.

http://mmprr.blogspot.com/

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

So I started up a blog where I'm talking about the Power Rangers, episode by episode, and wanted to show you folks in here. I'm just getting started and wanted to see what folks had to say. Also, Mr. Ticklesneezer is the worst monster in all of Season 1. There's no debate to be found.

You've counted how many episodes you're gonna have to go through, right? Hope you have a lot of spare time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Three awful, *AWFUL* neckbeards might have already beat you to it.

http://www.wadejobkar.com/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Just 1.5 of them are awful, really.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Just 1.5 of them are awful, really.

My beard easily counts for .5 of that score.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm gonna assume I'm part of the good score.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ninjasaurus posted:

I loved Zyuranger, and am disappointed that it is underrated within the fandom. Then again, I love dinosaurs, fairy tales and hammy villains (especially of the evil witch persuasion) so I'm pretty biased.

Zyuranger is fun but I can see how it would be a bit lackluster compared to other Sentai, considering that most of the time it revolves around the Zyurangers helping elementary school children with all their problems. From the episodes I've seen anyway.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Damnit! I'm gonna have to get my beard growing like crazy to catch up to you guys.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Burkion posted:

"Cool! I'll read one of these real quick."

"Goddammit, it's been an hour!"

Thanks for not being lovely like Linkara and acknowledging the sentai.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

WOAH WOAH WOAH, dissing of Superhuman Syber Squad is frowned upon! Show had the best villian ever how could you hate it? I never caught it on TV but I rented the 3 tapes all the time back in the day. I got both DVDs for my kid awhile ago and its still decent.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Zyuranger is fun but I can see how it would be a bit lackluster compared to other Sentai, considering that most of the time it revolves around the Zyurangers helping elementary school children with all their problems. From the episodes I've seen anyway.

Well it was a Sentai aimed specifically at kids but I thought it was surreal and imaginative enough to appeal to my inner child as well. I can't take Sentai seriously anyway and the wacky antics of the villains entertained me greatly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Bandora and her gang are the true stars of that show as far as I'm concerned. I personally found the rangers themselves to be pretty bland for the most part.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can understand finding Mai or Dan boring and flat, but how can you say the same for Goushi? You're a monster.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can understand finding Mai or Dan boring and flat, but how can you say the same for Goushi? You're a monster.

To be fair, Goushi and maybe Burai were alright and Boi had his moments but that was pretty much it. Geki, however, was one of the worst leaders in Sentai history, his obsession with his brother and over-emotional behavior ended up actually putting his team and everyone else in danger more then once to the point where in one episode Goushi had to literally beat some sense into him. Personally, I always felt Goushi should have been in command seeing as he was one of the few members of the team with any sense.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

To be fair, Goushi and maybe Burai were alright and Boi had his moments but that was pretty much it. Geki, however, was one of the worst leaders in Sentai history. Personally, I always felt Goushi should have been in command seeing as he was one of the few members of the team with any sense.

Goushi was significantly more entertaining to watch than Geki ever was. Geki just seemed to complain about his brother as soon as Burai was introduced. I love Burai to death but after he's introduced Geki just mopes around that his brother's gonna die for half the series.

Goushi also blew up a monster by himself with one attack from his axe. It was amazing.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Sure, the rangers didn't have much development but I liked the actors well enough. I'm not looking for multi-layered character studies in my Sentai.

It was The Bandora Show guest starring: Zyuranger and I had no problem with that. Some of the most amusing villains I've ever seen.

e: I mentioned earlier that I love fairy tales

My favorite movie is Sleeping Beauty, which features a similar final shot and an evil over the top witch as the villain so it was pretty much impossible for me not to love Zyuranger (although I admit it's definitely not flawless). The show even did an episode with the Sleeping Beauty story, as most of the plots/monsters revolved around Western mythology.

Plus I like how the finale is God vs. Satan, ending with Satan's big fat head exploding.

e2:

Mei and Dan did get that one crazy episode where they were turned bad and murdered a bunch of people in some truly bizarre, dreamlike vignettes.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 29, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toomanyninjas posted:

"Cool! I'll read one of these real quick."

"Goddammit, it's been an hour!"

Thanks for not being lovely like Linkara and acknowledging the sentai.

We're gonna be doing that for a LOT of Turbo, I have a feeling.

RBX posted:

WOAH WOAH WOAH, dissing of Superhuman Syber Squad is frowned upon! Show had the best villian ever how could you hate it? I never caught it on TV but I rented the 3 tapes all the time back in the day. I got both DVDs for my kid awhile ago and its still decent.

Hey, I had a blast with it if only for the action scenes, for what it's worth.

I actually did sit down and watch the Christmas special/finale of the show, and it's amazing, it really is.

The episode is really tense and super high stakes and the final fight is pretty awesome and the main character who died ascends as pure energy to the stars

And then, without *ANY* reason, explanation, effect, ANYTHING, everyone forgets what happened and the main character is fine again.

I mean it. It's like they got orders from on high to do tack on an it was all a dream ending, but they couldn't be assed to MAKE it a dream, so instead we have the ending of the show, and then a minute of added footage where everything is reset. It's amazingly awful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You guys should do France Force Five sometime. Some French guys made a series of fan films of sentai in the 2000s. There's only six episodes or so, it is enough of an oddity to be worth watching.

They're all named after French foods too. Like the yellow baguette ranger and the red fromage ranger and so on.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

We're gonna be doing that for a LOT of Turbo, I have a feeling.

Turbo was a really odd period for Saban where they were doing their Beetleborgs stuff, so they must not have wanted to do two overly comedic shows together, so they tried to up the stakes of what Divatox was doing. Even though all of the footage Car Ranger was giving them was completely ridiculous and silly. 90 percent of the monsters they had were just a bunch of space morons. You really can't come off footage of a monster crashing his go-kart into a road blockade and exploding to a plot of Adam needing to find a bomb before it kills a bunch of people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thing I like about Divatox is she doesn't really want to conquer the Earth. The rangers messed with her bigger plans to become a demon queen or whatever and now all she cares about is loving with them and messing with their lives as much as possible. And she's largely successful. Her campaign against them is overall very personal, and that's an interesting change.

Here's my theory on the zeo crystal BTW. Turbo powers aren't based on it, they're based off of Lerigot's magic. Zordon took the zeo crystal with him back to Eltar with the intention of making note rangers there when he left because Zordon makes bad decisions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For a comedy villain, Divatox is great-though her plans all involve blowing poo poo up for some reason.

For a SERIOUS villain, she really falls flat.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Burkion posted:

For a comedy villain, Divatox is great-though her plans all involve blowing poo poo up for some reason.

For a SERIOUS villain, she really falls flat.

There are serious villains on these shows?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Very seldom. Mostly in the era after Turbo, the In Space through Time Force years.

But this is something we go into in the reviews of the first few Turbo episodes. I'll basically sum it up like this.

The threat level has been so lowered that Elgar, Divatox's main henchman and the only one to really do anything, gets beaten up by a 12 year old kid who isn't morphed or enhanced at all.

Meaning he's officially as competent as Late Season Putties. For as bad as Rito and Goldar got, they were never beaten up by actual children.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Turbo a lot of people stopped watching not necessarily because it was bad, but because they started watching as kids and five years later they were pre teens or full blown teenagers, and it wasn't cool to watch a kids show like Power Rangers. Also Divatox's boobs were a reminder that "Hey, boobs exist, I need to toss aside childish things and go find some more boobs. Just as soon as this scene is over"

But a lot of turbo is bad. Mainly Question Lady and Alpha 6. Alpha 6 was so bad they made it a plot point to change the voice and personality.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yo yo yo, Rangers! What the motherfuck is up, niggas?! drat, there some whack-rear end monster tearing bitches new assholes! Y'all gotsa go cap that sumbitch!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And we had just gotten through Unfortunate Racism The Season (Zeo) too...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Alpha's a robot, robots can't be racist. Just because he uses a particular Edonoian dialect, you guys.

On the plus side Turbo has the first black man to be leader of the power rangers. How many have their been... 2? Him and the SPD guy?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

greatn posted:

Alpha's a robot, robots can't be racist. Just because he uses a particular Edonoian dialect, you guys.

On the plus side Turbo has the first black man to be leader of the power rangers. How many have their been... 2? Him and the SPD guy?

3 Tj (Red Turbo), Jack (Red SPD) and Scott (Red RPM)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Burkion posted:

And we had just gotten through Unfortunate Racism The Season (Zeo) too...

Wait, what? I kinda really want to know more on this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, what? I kinda really want to know more on this.

Long story short

Tommy is revealed to be Native American in the same season he becomes... The Red Ranger.

And Native Americans are mystical people who can become hawks and poo poo and have magical crystals that don't amount to anything really.

There's some other stuff that comes up here and there, but yeah.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh right, the native american part, yeah that's pretty bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

3 Tj (Red Turbo), Jack (Red SPD) and Scott (Red RPM)

If we want to count any non-white Red ranger, Ninja Storm Red is Samoan, if I recall correctly.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

If we want to count any non-white Red ranger, Ninja Storm Red is Samoan, if I recall correctly.

Nick from Mystic Force was also played by a Lebanese Australian. The show's still got some pace to pick up in terms of possible representation, but its gotten better about it over time at least (overall).

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Long story short

Tommy is revealed to be Native American in the same season he becomes... The Red Ranger.

And Native Americans are mystical people who can become hawks and poo poo and have magical crystals that don't amount to anything really.

There's some other stuff that comes up here and there, but yeah.

The 90's is so good at giving you inaccurate history for cultures and then pretending like it's being inclusive for it. It's like they learned all their Native American lore from Peter Pan.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Tommy's indian background was hosed up, because it's not like he was just part Cherokee or something, no, his brother lives on a reservation. How Tommy could have been totally unaware of his heritage with that in mind, I have no idea.

And that brother was played by JDF's actual brother! Who is dead. Following JDF on Facebook can be sad sometimes, because he'll just get into a mood and post a memorial video about Erik Frank. I feel like JDF must be a really intense guy, because he's always emotional about something.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Tommy's indian background was hosed up, because it's not like he was just part Cherokee or something, no, his brother lives on a reservation. How Tommy could have been totally unaware of his heritage with that in mind, I have no idea.

And that brother was played by JDF's actual brother! Who is dead. Following JDF on Facebook can be sad sometimes, because he'll just get into a mood and post a memorial video about Erik Frank. I feel like JDF must be a really intense guy, because he's always emotional about something.

What happened to his brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ninjasaurus posted:

What happened to his brother?

I don't think it's ever been publicly stated according to the last time he posted about his brother.