Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
The way he replies reminds me of shitposts from 4chan. He's probably just angry that putting > before each sentence doesn't make it greentext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Google tells me a lemon is a sexually explicit piece of fanfiction. I think you dodged a bullet there.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

anilEhilated posted:

Google tells me a lemon is a sexually explicit piece of fanfiction. I think you dodged a bullet there.

Hey, have you ever been to a lemonparty?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Mr DJB posted:

Hey, have you ever been to a lemonparty?

How dare you make fun of ASMR, by the by.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Choice video title pun in the latest RP beef (betus? I don't know who is in control of the RP account). :h:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Choice video title pun in the latest RP beef (betus? I don't know who is in control of the RP account). :h:

Thank you. I got angry Touhou fans on one account, angry ASMR people on the other. A man can't win!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I thought that it was just the one guy, I swear!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

slowbeef posted:

Thank you. I got angry Touhou fans on one account, angry ASMR people on the other. A man can't win!

"How loving dare you make fun of my relaxation videos, you cocksucker!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slowbeef posted:

angry ASMR people on the other.

I can't even finish watching that Retsupurae you did - the source material is THAT loving boring and stupid to me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

My favorite part is that in both this and the Touhou video Slowbeef explicitly says he can see how people people can enjoy this but it's just not his cuppa tea, and that just makes them even madder at the crime of not liking a thing they like.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Roman Reigns posted:

I'd like to think they're saying these things in a whisper, as well. Apparently they could use something to relax!

I just don't get why you would do this for an LP. I may be assuming here, but I think people click on your LP for entertainment, not to be put to sleep. I've seen a few that did this (some involving action games, no less), and I just get annoyed because the game audio is muted.

BMS posted:

(you fucker, I still haven't forgiven you for this)

Yeah? I think you paid your dues when you sent me this piece of poo poo. (:nws: Explicit Dark Souls fanfiction that's really bad)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know why they'd start you off on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil though. I would've started with Perfect Cherry Blossom or maybe Subterranean Animism, both of which are a lot more fun. Also, the games get a lot more interesting in the later levels - the first few are generally very easy and are meant to just ease you into the game, but the difficulty curve spikes sharply around level 4 in most Touhou games.

Also, oh god slowbeef focusing is important look up the controls or something. :psyduck:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

I just don't get why you would do this for an LP. I may be assuming here, but I think people click on your LP for entertainment, not to be put to sleep. I've seen a few that did this (some involving action games, no less), and I just get annoyed because the game audio is muted.

Well, there are folks out there that play LPs videos while they sleep, so maybe that's the angle the whispering lper was going for all along.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RSCNyx posted:

Yeah? I think you paid your dues when you sent me this piece of poo poo. (:nws: Explicit Dark Souls fanfiction that's really bad)

What the gently caress

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Next Retsu video please ASMR (is that how you say it? You ASMR somthing?) a passage of that fanfic and all will be forgiven please and thank you slowbeef.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

Well, there are folks out there that play LPs videos while they sleep, so maybe that's the angle the whispering lper was going for all along.

I've been guilty of that from time to time! If there's nothing on TV, I just instead watch an LP on a playlist and look at that until I sleep.

I can see that being a thing! I mean...there's much better ways to relax at night than an hour of someone fumbling around in Civ 5, I think, but if it works for you, it works!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

Why would you do this to us

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Somebody do a game whisperer megathread. Brutal Doom and Aeons of Death would be perfect choices.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd actually be fine convincing PewDiePie to do ASMR videos just to calm him down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RSCNyx posted:

What in the unholy gently caress

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I can't even finish watching that Retsupurae you did - the source material is THAT loving boring and stupid to me.

Like, I get the gist of having something low-energy in the background as you try to chill out. AND I get the idea of chilling out to an LP of something like Civ, which is a pretty relaxing game. But trying to whisper your strategy and decision making in a 4X isn't going to blend those, it's going make people who want to hear the thought process mad AND the people who just want the soothing part mad.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
"Staring back at me on the screen was an image I recognized: a face-my face. Grainy and pixelated, it was still me. I watched with detached curiosity as my expression twisted and contorted beyond human limits until finally, an alien embryo burst from my skull. A voice behind me said, "You wanna see it again?"- Michael Dawson, Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner.

Found this book in the library.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Roman Reigns posted:

Oh ASMR isn't just for relaxation, it's straight up pseudoscience, and there is no one on this earth more angrily defensive than people who believe in pseudosciences.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

dijon du jour posted:

Oh ASMR isn't just for relaxation, it's straight up pseudoscience, and there is no one on this earth more angrily defensive than people who believe in pseudosciences.

I'm reminded of that great Futurama bit where Bender says the world must learn of his peaceful ways by force. That was parody however. This kind of thing in real life is pretty sad.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RSCNyx posted:

The real Dark Souls starts here.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
I dunno if you guys care at all about Japanese LPs, but I watch them from time to time, and on Youtube (which has a pretty large Japanese community), weirdly enough you pretty much find the same sort of stuff that's popular in English: face cams, day one playthroughs, even that weird dressing up for face cams thing and putting faces on thumbnails:

But, on Nico Nico Douga (which is another video hosting site that is pretty much only used by people in Japan), LPs seem to be a lot more chill and creative for the most part. I haven't really tried specifically to look for face cams on there since I don't know what the term is in Japanese, but I don't think they're a thing either.

I think the reason might be that you don't have to do the same thing as everyone else on Nico Nico to get a decent viewership. By default when searching for videos Nico Nico sorts by what video was most recently commented on and relevancy, which is kinda weird, but it seems to work.

I'm sorry if this comes across as "glorious nippon has better lps than you" or something, because that's not what I mean, but I just thought it was interesting how the trends from Youtube's English LPs have kinda seeped into Japanese LPs.

Patch90
May 2, 2013

I can't really picture this working over here. Well, perhaps for Markiplier.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Patch90 posted:

Team Four Star would do it. Would it work? Probably not but people would still go "ZOMG LOOK AT HOW FUNNY THEY ARE!"

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Patch90 posted:

No way, Goku makes the best LPs. Frieza is just leeching off his success.

Patch90
May 2, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

No way, Goku makes the best LPs. Frieza is just leeching off his success.

I think the closest we'd get is pewdiepie dressing as a parrot and playing flappy bird with this monstrosity.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing

Patch90 posted:

Well, they have over a million subscribers, so who knows?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

soapydishwater posted:

But, on Nico Nico Douga (which is another video hosting site that is pretty much only used by people in Japan), LPs seem to be a lot more chill and creative for the most part. I haven't really tried specifically to look for face cams on there since I don't know what the term is in Japanese, but I don't think they're a thing either.

Yeah, I've never seen them on there. There's the occasional DDR controller footcam or blindfold cam but people don't do facecams just for the sake of it. Possibly related to people covering up their faces even in situations where they 'have to' show them (eg playing an instrument), seems like a lot of people just aren't keen on having their faces publically seen anyway.

Though there's no shortage of people screaming over the Blue Demon game, they just don't have a camera pointing at them while they're doing it.

e: 顔出し 実況プレイ but yeah, it's not particularly popular

Polsy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 28, 2014

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Not entirely sure in which thread I should post that, but to whoever is thinking of streaming to Hitbox, make sure you save a local copy of your stream on your harddrive if you do so. Otherwise, your stream will be stuck on there forever since the download function is broken and Push to Youtube doesn't work neither. Stream downloading programs and such doesn't recognize Hitbox streams neither, so that won't work either.

It's a known glitch and will probably be fixed eventually, but I discovered all of this the hard way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This seems like a good place to repost that message.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
See if you can get the video URL with URL Snooper.

e: v Not to mention you have a local backup if Twitch/HItbox/whatever fucks up and doesn't properly record. That option should really be checked by default.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Not entirely sure in which thread I should post that, but to whoever is thinking of streaming to Hitbox, make sure you save a local copy of your stream on your harddrive if you do so. Otherwise, your stream will be stuck on there forever since the download function is broken and Push to Youtube doesn't work neither. Stream downloading programs and such doesn't recognize Hitbox streams neither, so that won't work either.

It's a known glitch and will probably be fixed eventually, but I discovered all of this the hard way.

Even if you're using Twitch, I think it's a good idea to set OBS to record locally - the video's compressed so it doesn't take that much hard drive space and I like to edit out portions of streams that get too boring or whatever. I mean that never happens with my streams, uh...

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I don't think you can upload zero length videos to YouTube, slowbeef.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Patch90 posted:

I think the closest we'd get is pewdiepie dressing as a parrot and playing flappy bird with this monstrosity.
So kinda like this monstrosity, but with more Occulus Rift?

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Sometimes things inspire me to make dumb joke videos. The ASMR RP was one of them. I thought it would be funny to do one over a game people tend to have loud freak-out commentary over, which led to this. It was pretty fun to make, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment - Day Unknown

I had gotten sick with a respiratory illness for an extended period of time, during which, I felt that watching Phil's videos shouldn't be a priority. I would resume watching them once I felt better. At least, that was the plan. As the days passed, though, I just... didn't miss watching them. Which shouldn't come as a shock, really. The more I watched, there more I confirmed to myself there was little-to-no entertainment to be gotten on my behalf through continued viewing. I felt like I could walk away from this now with an answer and be done with it. I didn't want to continue.

Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was giving up. Sure, I had gotten an answer, but was it the answer? Had I delved deep enough into DarkSydePhil's content to truly ascertain what makes that content good or bad? There was so much left to explore, I knew I wasn't done. So do I give up, or keep going?

I kept going.

I picked up where I left off with Dragon Age: Origins. If nothing else, I would at least see this playthrough to the end. Just 190 more parts to go!

Phil is in Redcliffe, readying the townsfolk for an assault by the undead expected to come that night. He does well in getting everything prepared and getting extra men to join the militia, which gives an advantage for the battle, but that advantage does him no good. Every member of the militia is killed in the battle, and half his party is wiped out as well. Phil spends most of the fight freezing his own men with Cone of Cold, and running around in circles until his character's (Dykslong, in case you forgot) mana regenerates.

Phil's inventory fills up ransacking the corpses of everyone after the battle, and he looks around for a place to sell goods at, completely forgetting about the blacksmith's store right in front of him, and also not realizing he can now leave town to return to camp and sell items there. He settles for throwing a bunch of things away with little regard for what they are, and storms Redcliffe castle for the next part of the story.

Within the castle was a locked room requiring a key, which upset Phil and he kept dwelling on it and wondering how to get in that room. I believe towards the end of the castle, he received the key from an enemy, but Phil simply left the castle to go on to the next objective, which was the Mage's Tower. He either did not notice the key, forgot about the locked door, or stopped caring.

Around this time, Phil finally notices he unlocked specializations for Dykslong (he has been holding onto an unspent specialization point for a long, long time), and gives him the Arcane Warrior ability. The Arcane Warrior is a specialized mage class that is basically a mage/warrior hybrid. While I did spend a lot of time with the game, it's been a long time since I played DA:O, and I could still tell Phil was doing something very wrong when he puts the heaviest armor he can on Dykslong and charges into enemies and gets killed. Either Phil is doing something wrong by not using the class correctly, or the class sucks, and Phil is STILL doing something wrong by continuing to use a broken class. As I understand it though, the Arcane Warrior is intended to be a, well, warrior, who uses their mage abilities for buffs so they can smash poo poo up with weapons and take damage. Phil threw armor on and continues to cast Cone of Cold and use a staff.

Eventually, he finds himself facing off against a powerful Revenant and small handful of smaller foes, and dying repeatedly. After multiple attempts that result in swift deaths, Phil takes a moment and... devises a strategy. And it works. I genuinely can't tell if he was told to do it by the stream chat, or if he just stopped to think, but it was nice to see him do something and explain what he was doing and have it make sense and also have it work. The thing is, moments like these are extremely rare, and you'd think after he does it once, it would cross his mind to do it again, but it doesn't. Not even when he is ambushed on his way to the Mage's Tower and dies a half-dozen times.

He still manages to progress, somehow, and we are now in the Mage's Tower with a fresh combination of party members. Except, Phil didn't plan ahead and ensure he had a member with a high enough lockpicking skill, so he can't open most of the locked chests. He simply assumed the assassin character would be able to open all the chests, and is mad at the game's logic telling him otherwise.

Phil picked up a sidequest or two in the tower, but those require you to 1) know you have the sidequests and 2) read the notes you're picking up for the sidequests. Since Phil does neither of these things, he keeps checking out statues and circles and wondering why he's being electrocuted by them.

But now we're up to everyone's favorite part of Dragon Age: Origins - The Fade! And now I only have... 167 parts to go!

So, I really don't know what causes Phil's to be so unobservant and unfocused and forgetful. In the comments, I saw an interesting conversation about this between a couple of his fans in one of the videos.

• Locked thread