Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

LibbyM posted:

To what extent is crypt of the necrodancer really a rythm game? Like how exactly do the game mechanics interact with the music playing?
Also when you upload your own music into the game, how well does it handle slow music?

In order: the default character (Cadence) makes the game one HELL of a rhythm game. You need to take all your actions to the beat to continue a combo which gives you a gold multiplier. When the song ends (signified by the beat meter turning red in the last... 30 seconds?), you're dropped to the next floor and the combo ends, a la the game forcing you on in some roguelikes. However, while the different characters (only 4 are in currently) are going to have different modes and skills, from the start you have Cadence, and The Bard, who turns the game into a standard "you move, then they move" roguelike, no beat required.

I need to test the custom OST feature, I've been in the alpha for a while, but only just as they opened it up to Early Access did the feature go in in a way that wasn't, ah... taxing. (You needed to edit a list of songs outside the game, open it, sync them, make sure everything ran properly... it was a hassle.)

I should also mention that while most enemies will follow the beat or thereabouts, each floor has a boss on it who plays by their own rules, so you need to get used to the fact that you need to think ahead of them.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kanfy posted:

Skyrim's a good timewaster but it doesn't really have any one feature that really stands out. The combat's alright, the quests are alright, the environment is alright with some highs and some lows. It's a good game because it's of stable quality but not a great game because it doesn't really do anything extremely well.

This is all my personal opinion, of course.

Skyrim's best feature is that it is truly open from the word go. No border checkpoints or broken bridges requiring plot progression (outside of one tiny area that has little besides plot in it anyway). No big beef gates forcing you to do lovely lowbie quests for hours on end before you can actually explore. You're no safer in Whiterun hold than you are in Riften or the Reach. Each area has its easy enemies and its hard ones, and the fluctuations in difficulty between the areas are small enough that you aren't level gated. It offers a sense of freedom that games like Amalur, Morrowind, or even the modern Fallouts do not provide, and does so in a way that is far more interesting both in terms of visuals and enemy variety and balance than its predecessor Oblivion.

The other thing that Skyrim does really well is its level up system. yes, there are some flaws that can come to light especially if you grind up one skill like Speech or Pickpocket to ludicrosity, but for the most part character progression feels very natural, and more importantly it allows the player to explore what they can do with their character extensively before forcing the player to make a commitment. This is something I've never even seen any other WRPG attempt to this degree, let alone actually pull off.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Skyrim offers a sense of freedom that modern Fallouts do not provide.

Whoa, gonna stop you there. Fallout has a much deeper sandbox- the roleplaying potential in New Vegas is especially crazy. There's mechanics for hunger, thirst, drug addiction, radiation poisoning, sleep deprivation, you can craft things outside of standard weapons... Most people I've seen play Skyrim might pick a combat role and tend toward certain armors to make a look. In Fallout I've been a junkie who sleeps with his/her dealer for free fixes so he/she can constantly adventure while high, or a cyber ninja, or a professional baseball pitcher who throws people to death. The possible varieties in your average Fallout game put Skyrim to shame. Now Morrowind could maybe compete.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

revdrkevind posted:

Whoa, gonna stop you there. Fallout has a much deeper sandbox- the roleplaying potential in New Vegas is especially crazy. There's mechanics for hunger, thirst, drug addiction, radiation poisoning, sleep deprivation, you can craft things outside of standard weapons... Most people I've seen play Skyrim might pick a combat role and tend toward certain armors to make a look. In Fallout I've been a junkie who sleeps with his/her dealer for free fixes so he/she can constantly adventure while high, or a cyber ninja, or a professional baseball pitcher who throws people to death. The possible varieties in your average Fallout game put Skyrim to shame. Now Morrowind could maybe compete.

I'm talking about freedom of exploration, not freedom of roleplaying.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Skyrim's best feature is...big beef gates

agreed.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Skyrim's best feature is... big beef cakes

agreed. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have to wonder if Oblivion had not been a pile of poo poo that people would be more receptive of Skyrim's flaws.

revdrkevind posted:

...the roleplaying potential in New Vegas is especially crazy.

Get the gently caress out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ovaries posted:

I was skimming through an Ys FAQ and now I'm pretty certain I don't want to play this game

\/\/\/ I'm well aware. That doesn't make it any less awful.
You must absolutely hate Cave Story for that furry cutscene.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I refuse to play Crusader Kings 2 cause I can optionally gently caress my 16 year old sister.

But Human Sacrifice is A-OK!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Orv posted:

I have to wonder if Oblivion had not been a pile of poo poo that people would be more receptive of Skyrim's flaws.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are the two most disappointing games I've ever played, and I think Skyrim is a super awesome/great game with some minor flaws that goons can't shut up about because it's popular.

So who knows!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orv posted:

I mostly avoided Oblivion and Skyrim is just fine for what it is, which is spending dozens if not hundreds of hours killing dudes in fantasy Norway.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

I refuse to play Crusader Kings 2 cause I can optionally gently caress my 16 year old sister.

But Human Sacrifice is A-OK!

Nah man, you stab the sister and marry the sacrifice and then go conquer anything touching the Baltic.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I haven't played Cave Story so I don't know which cutscene you're talking about but I'm much more OK with the idea of furries existing than games making light of rape. Feel free to use that as my epitaph or whatever.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I will never actually play crypt of the necrodancer but I have watched the trailer maybe a dozen times. It's weird but I love the narrator's voice and the way his lines and synced to the music.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How many hours have you put into it according to Steam? I bet it's somewhere around 100. Probably more right?

I played through the whole mage quest line and dicked around for a few hours other than that, and that was plenty. The combat is just as mind-numbing and easily broken as all of their other games, and obviously you're crazy if you're playing those games for the writing, so basically it turns into a gussied up environment explorer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Papercut posted:

I played through the whole mage quest line and dicked around for a few hours other than that, and that was plenty. The combat is just as mind-numbing and easily broken as all of their other games, and obviously you're crazy if you're playing those games for the writing, so basically it turns into a gussied up environment explorer.

Yeah and I don't really consider that a bad thing. It's the kind of game that never gets old for me because there's such a calm pleasure in smoking a little after a day of work and just wandering around the wilds. Maybe you'll pull out a bow and hunt some deer, maybe stumble across a group of vampires, whatever. It's pretty and open and that's worth a hell of a lot for me.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Skyrim is my favorite knife manufacturing simulator.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Steam Weeklong Deals

Binary Domain - $3.74
Bardbarian - $1.99
Jack Orlando (YES, THAT GAME) - $0.74
Worms Clan Wars - $12.49
Pool Nation - $1.49
Kung Fu Strike - $1.99
Spellforce games 75% off

As well as a lot of junk

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

Indiegala Weekly:

$1.69
The Samaritan Paradox
The Howler
Rogue's Tale
99 Levels to Hell
Quest Run
Shadows on the Vatican Act I
Chester

https://www.indiegala.com/weekly

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you were to make an actual 'survive in the woods or somewhere else' simulator without any random bear-punching or other-survivor-clubbing-to-death what would fun gameplay actually look like?

Would you just repeatedly mouse-click on a tree to get wood and on the ground to find a rock or would you have other actually interesting interactive processes to get poo poo? Would you use Zen Bound technology to tie your rags and flint onto branches to make torches or spears and stuff?

I'm just completely fuckin' bored by normal survival games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drifter posted:

If you were to make an actual 'survive in the woods or somewhere else' simulator without any random bear-punching or other-survivor-clubbing-to-death what would fun gameplay actually look like?

Would you just repeatedly mouse-click on a tree to get wood and on the ground to find a rock or would you have other actually interesting interactive processes to get poo poo? Would you use Zen Bound technology to tie your rags and flint onto branches to make torches or spears and stuff?

I'm just completely fuckin' bored by normal survival games.

Don't Starve v:shobon:v

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

Steam Weeklong Deals

Binary Domain - $3.74
Bardbarian - $1.99
Jack Orlando (YES, THAT GAME) - $0.74
Worms Clan Wars - $12.49
Pool Nation - $1.49
Kung Fu Strike - $1.99
Spellforce games 75% off

As well as a lot of junk

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

Indiegala Weekly:

$1.69
The Samaritan Paradox
The Howler
Rogue's Tale
99 Levels to Hell
Quest Run
Shadows on the Vatican Act I
Chester

https://www.indiegala.com/weekly

Is Stranded worth getting for $4?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It would be Robinson's Requiem but without the later alien stuff? That game managed to be pretty simulationy while being fun. It's loving old though so who knows how it would actually translate into modern gameplay.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A few people in this thread complained that it's a half hour long point and click adventure game with few puzzles and several repeating screens.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God no. It's a walking simulator (like Gone Home) without any interesting bits, presented like an adventure game, which means clicking and backtracking a lot, and your dude walks super-slow.

It also has no way to adjust any settings at all, and only runs windowed at what looks like 480x480 (yes, square). The cards sell for a ton (average value for the 3 you get is like $1.80), but SAM doesn't recognize it, so you have to *actually* idle the game to get them, and there's no way to mute the sound (no settings menu, remember).

There's also no text anywhere, nor any spoken dialog, so you're supposed to get this ~*oooh soo deep*~ game's 'point' off of walking around, seeing some rock titans and then dying.

Whole thing takes about an hour, which I couldn't even get through. WGOTY

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Everblight posted:

Don't Starve v:shobon:v

*click click clickclickclickclickclick*

*runawayrunawayrunaway*

*click click click clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick*

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'd totally play some kind no supernatural wilderness survival thing, but only if it was technically well done. By which I mean no clicking tree to get wood, but actually getting to chop that poo poo down with proper physics. Also, skinning animals and cooking. And getting your arm mauled by a bear and then fixing it with shoddy medical skills, I guess. Probably some kind of crossover with those deer hunting games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

I'd totally play some kind no supernatural wilderness survival thing, but only if it was technically well done. By which I mean no clicking tree to get wood, but actually getting to chop that poo poo down with proper physics. Also, skinning animals and cooking. And getting your arm mauled by a bear and then fixing it with shoddy medical skills, I guess. Probably some kind of crossover with those deer hunting games.
Why we've never gotten Cabela's Hunting: Isla Nublar I'll never know.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Everblight posted:

Why we've never gotten Cabela's Hunting: Isla Nublar I'll never know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd forgotten all about that drat game :allears:. Good luck bagging a live T-Rex with the crossbow tho-FUCKRAPTORRAPTORRAPTOR :gibs:.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There was also Carnivores 2. And C: Ice Age, with giant birds instead of raptors, and a Ski Free-fast Yeti instead of the T-Rex.

Then the devs were supposed to make Duke Nukem: Endangered Species Hunter, but made Vivisector instead.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Having not played Skyrim since 2011 and kept up with the modding scene, has it ever gotten something like Morrowind's "Nerevar Say Nerevar" (I think?) where they strip out the main plot and just let you do your own thing?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes it's called live another life. I think you can still activate the main quest by going to Helgen though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Foulbrood posted:

Having not played Skyrim since 2011 and kept up with the modding scene, has it ever gotten something like Morrowind's "Nerevar Say Nerevar" (I think?) where they strip out the main plot and just let you do your own thing?

Well, there are alternate start mods that skip the opening of the game. From there it's pretty easy to ignore the main quest.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Foulbrood posted:

Skyrim Unbound will let you turn off the main quest entirely.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Whole lotta tallships and draculas in this week's deals. Good times.

Wanna throw out a special mention of The Chaos Engine at $2 for anyone who doesn't have it. Pretty great top-down shooter from the Amiga era (known as Soldiers of Fortune back then) with 2-player co-op. Features distinct classes and character progression! It's old-school, weird, and gets hard as hell by the end, though. Pick it up if you didn't have the foresight to keep your SNES cart, you poor thing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

I think it actually has really great environment design that still hasn't been challenged by an open world RPG.

I actually found Skyrim's environments to be bland as hell, which is odd considering I should be all over the Norse influence in that game. I liked exploring the world, but aside from one or two interesting spots it was kinda meh.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

lordfrikk posted:

The Long Dark might interest you, although I am not sure how the actual mechanics of wood-cutting etc. are.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Space Rangers HD is one of the weekly deals - isn't that the crazy weird janky Russian space sim that the occasional goon raves about how drat weird and deep it is?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

Space Rangers HD is one of the weekly deals - isn't that the crazy weird janky Russian space sim that the occasional goon raves about how drat weird and deep it is?

It's not janky. It's fine. And it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sweezy Gunner's not bad for two bucks if you're looking for a shooter.

• Locked thread