Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I was curious about those AxeFX units that I see people here talking about. Now I am conflicted about them.

ps if you aren't keeping up with this thread you are missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Does anyone have some comfortable headphone recommendations? I have a set that do not completely cover my ears and the cord is too short constantly getting caught on the body of my guitar. I was not sure if there are headphones more tailored for guitar or any old set would work.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

RagingHematoma posted:

Does anyone have some comfortable headphone recommendations? I have a set that do not completely cover my ears and the cord is too short constantly getting caught on the body of my guitar. I was not sure if there are headphones more tailored for guitar or any old set would work.

I just bought a pair of AKG K 240 Mk II along with a Yamaha THR10C. I think it's an absolutely brilliant combination, and the AKGs are incredibly comfortable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've always enjoyed my Sennheiser HD280 Pro.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Thanks for the suggestions. Related to that, how are those plug in VOX adapters for practicing without having to lug out your amp?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30/

Those yahama desktop amps look really cool. Down the line I am definitely going to pick one up.

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 26, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RagingHematoma posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Related to that, how are those plug in VOX adapters for practicing without having to lug out your amp?

Lots of people dislike them but I think they're the absolute best headphone practicing "amp" for the money.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

RagingHematoma posted:

I have one it works pretty well for what it is. Does a decent job modeling an AC30, sounds better than those micro amps you often see. It also has an aux in so you can play along with an iphone/ipod if that is your thing. The battery life is not too bad either. I thought I would use mine more, but I find being tettered to a headphone cable on my guitar more annoying than I thought it would be. That and the thing kind of spins around in the jack of 2/3 of my guitars, which also kind of annoys me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I do have to admit there's nothing fun about having to deal with the headphone cable, the plug spinning around, and the frustration of dialing in tones when it's hard to get to the plug controls. It's an inevitable frustration.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

RagingHematoma posted:

I just splurged on some Shure SRH940s, primarily for use with amplitube. they are really good and I use them for listening to music now instead of my Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I just went and got the amPhone. http://www.voxamps.com/amphone
It's an amplug with cans, and I rather like it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Speaking of Amplitube, I've been thinking of getting the full version for a while now, but holding back waiting for a sale (and for me to have the spare cash). Now I have the money, but it doesn't look like a summer sale is forthcoming, and IK seem to have shifted focus to iPad accessories rather than serious music software.

Is it worth waiting to see if they'll do another promo, or should I just pay the $200?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dirt posted:

I was curious about those AxeFX units that I see people here talking about. Now I am conflicted about them.

ps if you aren't keeping up with this thread you are missing out.

This is always my first association with the AxeFX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnnXJSvj_KA&t=31s

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Speaking of Amplitube, I've been thinking of getting the full version for a while now, but holding back waiting for a sale (and for me to have the spare cash). Now I have the money, but it doesn't look like a summer sale is forthcoming, and IK seem to have shifted focus to iPad accessories rather than serious music software.

Is it worth waiting to see if they'll do another promo, or should I just pay the $200?

$200 is pretty expensive, Ampkit is also pretty good in my opinion for $50. I have the pack in version of Amplitube and it is okay, but I would not pay $200 for it alone.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nrr posted:

I'll go check it out, but I'm not entirely sure how to talk him down from $300 to $200 without sounding like an rear end.

Make him an offer and explain your reasoning, you're not going to sound like an rear end unless his ad says "final offer" or what have you. There's an expectation of negotiation in these sorts of things

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Wengy posted:

I just bought a pair of AKG K 240 Mk II along with a Yamaha THR10C. I think it's an absolutely brilliant combination, and the AKGs are incredibly comfortable.

I double checked my pair, I own the AKG K 240 studios. Fantastic depth, flat response headphones.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I went out and hunted down a guitar for my humbucking bridge needs. I found two, either the an Epiphone Nighthawk (seriously, I did a double-take looking at that thing) or a Fender Lonestar Stratocaster.

The Strat is $500 locally, and the Nighthawk $280. The local selection is kinda crappy, and the used market somehow worse, so if I want to put my hands on a guitar before buying it this is my best bet. The Nighthawk is coil-tapped, so after trying it I know it doesn't sound exactly like a single-coil, but I can a decent sound from it that'd probably fill my needs, but I'd have to give it another run before knowing the score.

Does anyone have these? I'd like some trip reports...

As for some others, I tried the Yamaha Pacifica and didn't really like it. The neck wasn't my thing. I didn't like the size or the finish. The finish, oh my god. Same with the Ibanez Gio with the same configuration. I don't know what that finish is but it is just not a thing I got along with.

EDIT: I cannot get over how weird that Epiphone is. I don't even know what it's trying to do and it's so silly.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 27, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I went out and hunted down a guitar for my humbucking bridge needs. I found two, either the an Epiphone Nighthawk (seriously, I did a double-take looking at that thing) or a Fender Lonestar Stratocaster.

The Strat is $500 locally, and the Nighthawk $280. The local selection is kinda crappy, and the used market somehow worse, so if I want to put my hands on a guitar before buying it this is my best bet. The Nighthawk is coil-tapped, so after trying it I know it doesn't sound exactly like a single-coil, but I can a decent sound from it that'd probably fill my needs, but I'd have to give it another run before knowing the score.

As for some others, I tried the Yamaha Pacifica and didn't really like it. The neck wasn't my thing. I didn't like the size or the finish. The finish, oh my god. Same with the Ibanez Gio with the same configuration. I don't know what that finish is but it is just not a thing I got along with.

EDIT: I cannot get over how weird that Epiphone is. I don't even know what it's trying to do and it's so silly.

Comedy Squier Tele Option. Joke is that it was $89 a few days ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...c8318fd49&nce=1

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'd go for the Nighthawk personally, price is a bonus, because just look at that drat thing! Honestly though whichever was more comfortable to play is the better choice, but that thing is awesome.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Anyone have any experience buying a guitar from rakuten global? I know shipping is going to be outrageous but is customs and taxes in the US going to be a lot? Is shipping + customs going to take prohibitively long?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

unlawfulsoup posted:

Comedy Squier Tele Option. Joke is that it was $89 a few days ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...c8318fd49&nce=1
I did pick one up (tried it, not bought it) because, hey, it was there.

Dead frets! Woo!

Dewgy posted:

I'd go for the Nighthawk personally, price is a bonus, because just look at that drat thing! Honestly though whichever was more comfortable to play is the better choice, but that thing is awesome.
Biggest problem is that the guitars are available at different stores so I can't do a side-by-side comparison so while I can pick up the Nighthawk and say "yes, this is a super guitar," I can then go pick up the Strat across town and say "yes, this is a super guitar," but I can't compare them properly.

There is something to be said about getting the guitar that makes you wonder what the gently caress was going on in the Gibson offices when they designed such a strange beast.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 27, 2014

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

The Nighthawk was what I was gonna recommend you, but it had a mini-hum in the neck! I think it's meant to be something like the Recording LP, except with a Fender scale length. If nothing else it'll make more of an impression than the strat!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

I did pick one up because, hey, it was there.

Dead frets! Woo!

Biggest problem is that the guitars are available at different stores so I can't do a side-by-side comparison so while I can pick up the Nighthawk and say "yes, this is a super guitar," I can then go pick up the Strat across town and say "yes, this is a super guitar," but I can't compare them properly.

There is something to be said about getting the guitar that makes you wonder what the gently caress was going on in the Gibson offices when they designed such a strange beast.

It's to compete with the strat. The original Gibson version had a Fender scale, Fedner bridge, was cheaper and lighter than a LP, and had splittable humbuckers.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

The Nighthawk was what I was gonna recommend you, but it had a mini-hum in the neck! I think it's meant to be something like the Recording LP, except with a Fender scale length. If nothing else it'll make more of an impression than the strat!

It's not like the LPR at all, it's super way different

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I did pick one up because, hey, it was there.

Dead frets! Woo!

On TDPRI people seem to like low end Teles, I think with a little work you can probably get something out of it. :)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

muike posted:

It's not like the LPR at all, it's super way different

Haven't seen either in the wild where I live, so I took a wild guess :shrug: They both have more switching and options than a standard LP, at least.

For content, has anyone here installed new slide switches in a pickguard? Putting some into a strat copy and wondering whether to cut out the holes with a drill, rotary tool, etc., and advice would be nice...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Haven't seen either in the wild where I live, so I took a wild guess :shrug: They both have more switching and options than a standard LP, at least.

For content, has anyone here installed new slide switches in a pickguard? Putting some into a strat copy and wondering whether to cut out the holes with a drill, rotary tool, etc., and advice would be nice...

To be honest, the best luck I've had is drilling a few smaller diameter holes in a row, light dremel work to open it up, and then file to shape.

The dremel can accidentally remove a lot of material really quick if you're not careful, so hand filing to finish works better.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dewgy posted:

Oooh, you have the option of a Nighthawk? Go for that! If it feels good, of course. Man, that was a wacky awesome thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Nighthawk
Check out the pickup combos. This is pure awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nOgNCI4wtQ - Warning: Chappers. On the other hand, Chappers really wears it out. Two amps, multiple tunings, and severe investigation of the tonal combinations of the 5 way and coil tap.

Seymour Duncan made a bridge pickup especially for it, by the way, the Slant. Very nice.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/new-product/seymour-duncan-launches-nighthawk-slant-replacement-pickup/

Excepting the looks - which I feel are unique rather than ugly, I have never heard a bad thing about the Nighthawk.
... though, hum, they're even cheaper on Ebay. I'm tempted. But I have too many already.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 27, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

If that nighthawk thing looks cool to you then you and that guitar were meant for each other. I almost barfed all over my screen at how ugly that thing is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how it has a bunch of random angles for no reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aside from the pickups is just looks like an off brand LP. I don't get what's so weird or bad about it.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

A side note to Ghost of Reagan Past, since Maton guitars came up in the GBS thread: most Maton electrics come with humbuckers and coil split/tap switches, stock. Might be worth it to see if there's one in your neck of the woods - Josh Homme plays some Maton guitars, if that's meaningful to you.

Sockington posted:

To be honest, the best luck I've had is drilling a few smaller diameter holes in a row, light dremel work to open it up, and then file to shape.

The dremel can accidentally remove a lot of material really quick if you're not careful, so hand filing to finish works better.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a (cautious) run at it tomorrow.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Maybe you should get some cheap pickguards to practice on first.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dye job is done... Now Ron is gonna sand it once more, add a couple of coats of clear lacquer, then it'll cure for a couple of weeks... Then it's assembly time :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That is a sweet fireburst.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aside from the pickups is just looks like an off brand LP. I don't get what's so weird or bad about it.
Off brand LPs almost always look like shite TBF.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xabi posted:

Off brand LPs almost always look like shite TBF.

True except for

It's so wrong yet soooooo right

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

True except for

Does... does the headstock say Melon Ace?

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

Does... does the headstock say Melon Ace?

Duh! It says Molarflex

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

A side note to Ghost of Reagan Past, since Maton guitars came up in the GBS thread: most Maton electrics come with humbuckers and coil split/tap switches, stock. Might be worth it to see if there's one in your neck of the woods - Josh Homme plays some Maton guitars, if that's meaningful to you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a (cautious) run at it tomorrow.

Maton are really expensive.

I'll just leave this here. Stopped by my friend at Hogchain Custom Drums and he has updated his jam room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Kilometers Davis posted:

True except for

That really reminds me of something...

One of the many guitars custom made for Matt Bellamy of Muse by legendary luthier Hugh Manson.

I can never tell if these guitars look absolutely horrible or loving amazing. I think it depends on my mood.

Edit: Image doesn't seem to be working. Oh well.

Edit2: Fixed.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2014