Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That bike needs more wings, swords, and winged swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Megaspam posted:

The flag from the Ravenwing command squad is the biggest one I can think of:

Is that flag depicting an angel (Dark Angels) stabbing a viking longboat (Space Wolves)?

Because if so, that's pretty rad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My buddy painted this back in 93 or
It's his librarian.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Moola posted:

Is that flag depicting an angel (Dark Angels) stabbing a viking longboat (Space Wolves)?

Because if so, that's pretty rad.

It looks like a serpent.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks like a serpent.

Yeah it's a snake with a skull/demon skull head.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

LingcodKilla posted:

It's his librarian.

Can't decide if that's awesome or terrible.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

SRM posted:

Would anyone happen to have one of the old Mordian Lieutenants lying around? This guy:

I might have him, minus his chainsword? I'll take a look in the ol'bitz box after work. I'm in the UK mind, might be better looking closer to home but if no one else got one, I can part with mine.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Posting my Bullgryn from the painting thread

I like 'em! It looks like a trio of angry Sid Haigs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tom Kirby is stepping down and posted his Chairman Pre Amble, it's kind of insane.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Chairmans-Preamble-2014.pdf

quote:

Games Workshop has had a really good year.
If your measure of 'good' is the current financial year's numbers, you may not agree. But if your measure is the long term survivability of a great cash generating business that still has a lot of potential growth, then you will agree

It's kind of a really weird letter. Also he kind of comes off as a rear end in a top hat.

quote:

We have, this last year,spent an indecent amount of your money trying to stop someone stealing our ideas and images. It is a very difficult thing to do
when it is done through a legal system designed to prevent people stealing hogs from one another. Our experience has probably been typical of most far too much money spent on far too little gain. The argument is that we have to do this or we will, bit by bit,lose everything that we hold dear, everything that keeps the business going. Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky. But is it true?

We spent close to a quarter million pounds and got a settlement for 20,000. Plus, we kind of poo poo the bed in losing a whole bunch of rights to specific things that we had previously had rights to.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 28, 2014

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

They're obliged to protect their IP, but some of the poo poo they've gone after is bananas.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It sounds like he straight up got ousted.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

It sounds like he straight up got ousted.

He's been pushed. There were rumblings after he sacked off entire teams that he might be getting the shove.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What does this mean then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It doesn't really mean much, Kirby though has been in charge for a long time ( I think since 1996?). So it's always not a great sign when the CEO who totally knows how to fix the company, and would do so but says "Nah, gonna sit this one out" gets ousted or leaves.

It means that the sales figures and such are going to be really low, and this is a way of saying " look this is why we are doing so poorly".

It's just one more mistep in the line to being purchased by Hasbro.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm waiting for the quarterly to see if it's true, but there could easily be a connection between investors now getting votes on how the company is run, the increased dividend and Kirby getting ousted. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm waiting for the quarterly to see if it's true, but there could easily be a connection between investors now getting votes on how the company is run, the increased dividend and Kirby getting ousted. :v:

I'm not sure what you mean.

I have no idea beyond a basic laymans terms of what all this means, I know it's not good when the CEO writes something like that and actually publishes it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Does anyone want some Necrons? Because I'm selling some Necrons:

1 Necron Lord
2 Immortals
2 Flayed ones
2 Wraithers
1 Tomb Spyder
3 Destroyers
20 Warriors
5 bases of Scarabs
1 Monolith

They're mostly all painted, albeit pretty simply. Spyder, Flayed Ones, Immortals and Lord are all metal models. Looking for $150 for the lot of em.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

LingcodKilla posted:

It's his librarian.

Is that king diamond?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

Does anyone want some Necrons? Because I'm selling some Necrons:

1 Necron Lord
2 Immortals
2 Flayed ones
2 Wraithers
1 Tomb Spyder
3 Destroyers
20 Warriors
5 bases of Scarabs
1 Monolith

They're mostly all painted, albeit pretty simply. Spyder, Flayed Ones, Immortals and Lord are all metal models. Looking for $150 for the lot of em.

I am STRONGLY considering this. I'm so close, it's like I can't afford not to!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

I am STRONGLY considering this. I'm so close, it's like I can't afford not to!
Saves on shipping costs and everything!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Tom Kirby is stepping down and posted his Chairman Pre Amble, it's kind of insane.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Chairmans-Preamble-2014.pdf

Good catch - thanks for sharing.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

quote:

Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky.

I didn't know GW made all announcements in-character. Must have been hard not to shout 'For the Emperor!' while giving that speech.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I didn't know GW made all announcements in-character. Must have been hard not to shout 'For the Emperor!' while giving that speech.

At this point he probably thinks he is the emperor.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait to buy Citadel 3-D Printers.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
It looks like a CEO message from a high schooler in a Business Skills for Life class. Who publishes investor letters written like that?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
CEO level drunk posting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is my favorite part

quote:

The argument is that we have to do this or we will, bit by bit,lose everything that we hold dear, everything that keeps the business going. Our crops will wither, our children will die piteousdeaths and the sun will be swept from the sky. But is it true?

Is it true you should defend your IP or wait are you saying you shouldn't have went after CHS, or are you saying that it is in fact true that this will occur if you do not do this.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Someone made the joke of them being bought by Hasbro. Would that even be so bad? Everything I've seen come from Wizards (honestly, just magic and DnD) has been of high quality since being purchased, even if I don't agree with stuff that has nothing to do with Hasbro (such as rules.) It's not like GW isn't already gouging us constantly with questionable business practices.

I really love Warhammer (it's crazy exciting to be getting into it for the first serious time - pretty soon you guys will get to see my newbie foray into painting my first models) but I hate that I feel like if I'm not buying my models and paints third-party, then I'm grossly overpaying. Honestly, a lot of their sculpts are amazing and so I don't mind buying them, and the games' scale seems unmatched in the market, but I still hate loving it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It'd be awesome if they were bought by Hasbro, because Hasbro would go " Oh wait we have this awesome IP that no one has made any films about in 30 years". Here Michael Bay, produce Warhammer 40k movie like you did for our Transformers.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Warhammer 40k: Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Warhammer 40k: Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky.

New thread title please.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
A lot of people WANT them to be bought out by Hasbro, but does Hasbro even see any potential profit in it? Is it even attractive to them? Is it attractive to anyone?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

New thread title please.

It really sums up every aspect of the hobby.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Slimnoid posted:

A lot of people WANT them to be bought out by Hasbro, but does Hasbro even see any potential profit in it? Is it even attractive to them? Is it attractive to anyone?

But is this true?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Hasbro has expressed interest in the past of purchasing Games Workshop.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Because no one seems able to grasp the essential simplicity of what we do there has always been the search for the Achilles heel,
the one thing that Kirby and his cronies have overlooked. These are legion.

Someone's a little butthurt.

quote:

We know quite a lot about 3-D printers, having been at the forefront of the technology for many years. We know of what we speak.
One day 3-D printers will be affordable (agreed), they are now, they will be able to produce fantastic detail (the affordable ones
won't) and they will do it faster than one miniature per day (no, they won't, look it up). So we may get to the time when someone
can make a poorly detailed miniature at home and have enough for an army in less than a year. That pre-supposes that 3-D
scanning technology will be affordable and good enough (don't bet the mortgage on that one) and that everyone will be happy to
have nothing but copies of old miniatures.

Because technology never improves.

quote:

The board has prepared a job specification for CEO, and the consequential advertisement. The ad. will be published the day after
our AGM (September 18th). If you apply, we require that you write a letter saying why you want the job. No letter, no interview.
The interviews will take place on November 7th and will be at Nottingham. An announcement will be made the following week.

We here at GW are so confident in our CEO courting capabilities, we'll nail the right one from a pile of "why do you want to work here" letters and get a contract nailed down inside of 7 days from the interview. (Also, we've never done this before.)

quote:

Let me dilate about this letter. Last year I wrote here about our recruitment process, and shortly afterwards we recruited a new
non-executive director (NXD) using the method described. We got a great (not good, great) new board member. She is still
surprised that I did not read her CV
(exasperated would be a more accurate word) but there was no need. Her letter told us what
kind of person she was: sincere, open-minded, a learner, excited at the opportunity. The interview told us she had all the qualities
needed. It mattered not one jot what her CV said.

CVs don't matter, kissing up in your "why I want to work here" letter is the truest mark of a professional.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm sending them a loving letter.

edit:

Oh winning list for BAO

Kor'sarro Khan [125]
+ Moondrakkan [25]
= 150
• Command Squad [100]
+ Company Standard [15]
+ 3× storm shield [30]
+ power fist [25]
+ Space Marine bikes [35]
+ Apothecary [15]
= 220
Chapter Master [130]
+ Space Marine bike [20]
+ The Shield Eternal [50]
+ digital weapons [10]
+ artificer armour [20]
+ thunder hammer [30]
= 260

4 Space Marine Bikers [84]
+ 2× grav-gun [30]
+ Biker Sergeant
+ combi-grav [10]
+ melta bombs [5]
+ Attack Bike [45]
+ multi-melta [10]
= 184
+ 2× meltagun [20]
+ Biker Sergeant
+ combi-melta [10]
+ melta bombs [5]
+ Attack Bike [45]
+ multi-melta [10]
= 174
+ 2× meltagun [20]
+ Biker Sergeant
+ combi-melta [10]
+ melta bombs [5]
+ Attack Bike [45]
+ multi-melta [10]
= 174
+ 2× plasma gun [30]
+ Biker Sergeant
+ plasma pistol [15]
+ melta bombs [5]
+ Attack Bike [45]
+ multi-melta [10]
= 189

Stormtalon Gunship [110]
+ Skyhammer missile launcher [15]
= 125

Knight Errant
= 370

1,846 points

That's kind of gross.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 28, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Meanwhile.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
/\/\/\

Oh god the Venerable Dread has a tiny head that is looks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Murderfang uses his Murderclaws to sate his Murderlust.

But that Venerable Dread axe looks pretty nice.

• Locked thread