Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Moola posted:

Oh, so this is just a closed beta where you get to test the tools they're using to make another game?

Also sometimes if they like something you made it might get used in the other game?

What?

This is a separate game entirely. Landmark is not Everquest Next. But yes, they may use some of the buildings built in Landmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
It's sort of like Minecraft or something. But you'll be able to make quests/dungeons and that sort of thing to sort of make a player-driven RPG world with Landmark, whereas the next Everquest will have developers using those tools to make their own game.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Moola posted:

Oh, so this is just a closed beta where you get to test the tools they're using to make another game?

Also sometimes if they like something you made it might get used in the other game?

What?

More or less, yes. That's correct.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

This is essentially Minecraft in the EverQuest Next engine with a veiled attempt to get free art/art direction via crowd-sourcing and an open build world before release.

Moola posted:

What I don't get is, EQN is gonna be a fantasy game right? With fantasy graphics and fantasy castles and poo poo?

So why are people making space ships and stuff when there's no chance they're ever going to be used in the game?

Is anything people are making going to be used in the 'real game'?

I'm very confused. But I am enjoying mining for things!

Moola posted:

What?
If only there was a thread OP that would take maybe five minutes to read and made these posts totally worthless.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Whoa, this is what it feels like. To be owned....

:negative:

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Got into the beta, spent the first many hours upgrading my tools and equipment. I like the refining units, they help out a lot. If only you could open them for other people.

I started building a mountain side retreat, but its just floors right now. So far I like the game, the controls could be a little more responsive but its over all got a nice feel.

plus I can't complain about getting to be spider man, swinging from tree to tree.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

r00tn00b posted:

plus I can't complain about getting to be spider man, swinging from tree to tree.

It's a shame more games don't have that; it's Champions Online's sole redeeming quality at this point.

I finally logged back in after spending a while checking out shiny new other games with my new laptop, and was wondering, with regards to caves, are the minerals supposed to be visible on the cave walls or no? I didn't see any surface minerals as I went looking for a cave, and I'm wondering if there was something I overlooked while trying to get myself caught up.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

It's a shame more games don't have that; it's Champions Online's sole redeeming quality at this point.

I finally logged back in after spending a while checking out shiny new other games with my new laptop, and was wondering, with regards to caves, are the minerals supposed to be visible on the cave walls or no? I didn't see any surface minerals as I went looking for a cave, and I'm wondering if there was something I overlooked while trying to get myself caught up.

Yes it should show up on the save wall. Some times the caves are sparse, and some times they are littered with stuff. You just have to keep looking. There may be some underground stuff, But I don't have one of the sensor things yet to tell.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It's hard to imagine any EQ:L assets are going to be copied and pasted into EQ:N. Even the really good stuff looks like it was sculpted out of play-do by someone with Parkinson's. The tools just can't make non-boxy models look any good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
All I can say is getting an ore locator was the best thing ever and you should try to do this as like, step 3 in your adventures (step 1 probably being getting a new pick and 2 a grappling hook)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I played this when the alpha first became available and enjoyed it a lot but stopped playing so as to not burn out because of wipes and bugs etc. I noticed you can buy stuff on from the cash shop now so does that mean there are no more wipes?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rasmussen posted:

I played this when the alpha first became available and enjoyed it a lot but stopped playing so as to not burn out because of wipes and bugs etc. I noticed you can buy stuff on from the cash shop now so does that mean there are no more wipes?

No, you just get a copy of whatever you buy. They are wiping all progress for launch.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, it'll remember that you bought it so you can just reclaim it post-wipe or something to that effect.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Steam is having a sale on the Founder's packs. You can get in for less than $7.00 now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Rasmussen posted:

So you can buy structures in a game where the only point is to make structures?

Do people really do this :suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

MrTheDevious posted:

The cash stuff shop last I saw was like, clothes and materials and stuff. Are there bigger-scale things in now? I've been distracted by Wildstar lately.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

The 12 people who still play Landmark sell each other off-center arch templates in a spite circle-jerk.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Saw the steam sale on this today. Picked it up, because I remember how much fun it was to just grappling hook around other people's stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations for awesome, tall structures for me to climb?

Edit: What regions are fellow goons even inhabiting these days?

inkmoth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 27, 2014

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

inkmoth posted:

Saw the steam sale on this today. Picked it up, because I remember how much fun it was to just grappling hook around other people's stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations for awesome, tall structures for me to climb?

Edit: What regions are fellow goons even inhabiting these days?

I did the same. So yeah if anyone is still playing (I know there isn't) and has any good suggestions I'm all ears!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

You are the goons right now I think. My claims expired months ago.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Annexed posted:

I did the same. So yeah if anyone is still playing (I know there isn't) and has any good suggestions I'm all ears!

I have public stations on Adventure - Bay right next to the portal, if you don't feel like rushing to get yours up and running. It's also halfway decent to look at.

I don't actually play anymore, I just keep the claim funded in case the game suddenly becomes fun.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I feel like the whole Steam sale on founder pack thing is really lovely. I understand a MMO is out to make money but on founder's packs? Seriously? I could have saved $66.00 by waiting several months and I would have gotten a better experience out of it.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I feel like the whole Steam sale on founder pack thing is really lovely. I understand a MMO is out to make money but on founder's packs? Seriously? I could have saved $66.00 by waiting several months and I would have gotten a better experience out of it.

Yeah I feel the same way. I have been feeling like this game sucks for a while now, but hey at least I have the e cred of being a founder, the money wasn't a total waste(I realize it was still a total waste)!

They should have just sold access at the cheaper rate without the founder stuff.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I was tempted by the big sale but reading this thread it seems the game has a similar problem as Minecraft et al; eventually you get bored of creating stuff and then there's just nothing to do. Is that about right?

edit; Sorry I missed a line in the op. Players can make quests and stuff but still basically how much you'll enjoy the game is how much you like to build poo poo?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

This game would be a 1000x improvement if it had Minecraft's problem.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Pierson posted:

I was tempted by the big sale but reading this thread it seems the game has a similar problem as Minecraft et al; eventually you get bored of creating stuff and then there's just nothing to do. Is that about right?

edit; Sorry I missed a line in the op. Players can make quests and stuff but still basically how much you'll enjoy the game is how much you like to build poo poo?

It's important to note that the quests and stuff aren't in yet and by the time they are it will be free to play

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

:shrug:

Most of the price of the packs were for the early access to help test/make the game (of which ~5 months has elapsed), they even offered a full refund if you weren't satisfied within ~week of playing (surprising and generous, all things considered). It's been known all along it'd be F2P at release and you'd be a fool to think $20/60/100 wouldn't get you far more come (closer to) release; same goes for "better experience" since, in theory, it should continue improving through release (or not be good until sometime after release, like most :soe: titles).

If you honestly valued the pretty princess trinkets at $100 and the early access/influence on the final product at nothing, then you should've taken a step back before laying your 10x:10bux: down because I'd argue you clearly didn't think it through.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is it worth it to try and stake a claim near the water? I just started playing and I'm trying to figure out where to settle down.

Also the game runs so so on my high end system. I can run everything on high but I still get dips down into the 20's.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Annexed posted:

Is it worth it to try and stake a claim near the water? I just started playing and I'm trying to figure out where to settle down.

Also the game runs so so on my high end system. I can run everything on high but I still get dips down into the 20's.

trying turning shadows down, on my beast of a rig it bumped me into the 50-60fps on ultra settings

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

trying turning shadows down, on my beast of a rig it bumped me into the 50-60fps on ultra settings

Yeah that seemed to help quite a bit actually.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to reform the lovely plot I ended up with.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Logged in, 15 fps, logged out.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's pretty much no reason to build in any specific spot except maybe wanting to be close to a portal. The most common spots taken were along the claim borders of the portal or atop tall mountains, and briefly along the shores when oceans were added. Since then a bunch of them have been freed up, with the exception of some tier 4 zones.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I got this on the steam sale and have had fun doing minecrafty things, but I have yet to find a single drat cave!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Porkchop Express posted:

I got this on the steam sale and have had fun doing minecrafty things, but I have yet to find a single drat cave!

I found 3 along the coasts

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harettazetta posted:

Logged in, 15 fps, logged out.

gaming on a phone sucks imo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Annexed posted:

Yeah that seemed to help quite a bit actually.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to reform the lovely plot I ended up with.

Honestly the tools are really intuitive.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Last night I must have got lucky, I wandered one valley over from the teleport stone and there was a while valley with ore littered all over the surface of the ground, tons of iron, tin, marble, aquamarine, and whatever the purple level 1 ore is.

Then I wandered around a bit more and found a shitload of caves, and enough palm trees to get the palm hearts needed to make the iron pickaxe.

I have seen people mention there is some sort of ore finder you can build, but I don't see it listed on any of the crafting stations. Does it only appear after you have crafted certain tier items, or can you only build it from one of the crafting stations you build and place on your claim?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Porkchop Express posted:

Last night I must have got lucky, I wandered one valley over from the teleport stone and there was a while valley with ore littered all over the surface of the ground, tons of iron, tin, marble, aquamarine, and whatever the purple level 1 ore is.

Then I wandered around a bit more and found a shitload of caves, and enough palm trees to get the palm hearts needed to make the iron pickaxe.

I have seen people mention there is some sort of ore finder you can build, but I don't see it listed on any of the crafting stations. Does it only appear after you have crafted certain tier items, or can you only build it from one of the crafting stations you build and place on your claim?

There is a locator for ore and one for gems

Also there are hidden chests in caves and underground as well

I was able to find silver in a tier 1 chest

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Porkchop Express posted:

Since no one has said it and a quick look on the forums answered it, caves are fairly easy to find. Look on your map and select "show claimable land". From there, the perfect squares with a permissions flag in the middle are claims. Those little round and kind of rectangular blobs on the map? Those are the cave entrances. Get to it. It should be noted that some caves don't have entrances and are basically called pocket caves. I assume a pulverizer is the preferred method at getting to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't usually toot my own horn but I logged in recently to see my claim has over 50 likes :smug:

Also some twitch streamer wants to interview me about my virtual house, should I do it?

• Locked thread