Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given some of the discussion in the main 40k thread, I wonder how much of that is just people buying the boxed sets so they can flip the mini rulebooks and sprues on eBay.

I know a guy who made five or six hundred a week flipping Black Reach contents on eBay. When Blood Island came out he started doing those and made about the same amount.

People be crazy for those bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Len posted:

I know a guy who made five or six hundred a week flipping Black Reach contents on eBay. When Blood Island came out he started doing those and made about the same amount.

People be crazy for those bits.

They're fantastic for padding armies out. Two or so of those marine squads and you were good to go for a basic force, and the ork models were cheap and cheerful while retaining detail and poses.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lord Twisted posted:

They're fantastic for padding armies out. Two or so of those marine squads and you were good to go for a basic force, and the ork models were cheap and cheerful while retaining detail and poses.

You could also slap on the extra burna arms and heads from your lootas box to get the maximum use out of those double-duty box sets.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Chairmans-Preamble-2014.pdf

quote:

Games Workshop has had a really good year.

If your measure of 'good' is the current financial year's numbers, you may not agree.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kirby has been pushed to non executive chairman.

This makes me very happy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That letter sounds like a livejournal blog. Is that normal? If so I want to read comparable ones from, say, apple and Microsoft which should be a hoot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

" All this has significantly de-risked the business. We have far fewer key personnel to replace if need be, and a much lower cost base."

Doesn't having fewer key personnel increase the risk? A stool with fewer legs, as it were?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moths posted:

" All this has significantly de-risked the business. We have far fewer key personnel to replace if need be, and a much lower cost base."

Doesn't having fewer key personnel increase the risk? A stool with fewer legs, as it were?

Works both ways. Less people that have to be 'managed' to maintain performance.

Looks like the report is about to show up. I expect it tomorrow morning since it normally hits on a tuesday.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, sounds like he straight up go ousted and is like " You're getting rid of t
he Steve Jobs of Miniature Wargaming business running".

I think he missed the part where Steve Jobs also had incredible talent at very specific things.

Saying "Hire attitude, not talent" is the dumbest loving thing someone can say. Pretty sure Steve Jobs made sure to hire people who were talented.

edit:

Also, how do you spend 6 million dollars on a website like that?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So GW has fired its CEO ahead of that earning report? Who's going to run the show now, and how bad does this suggest the earnings report really is?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He's stepping down in January.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Hahaha £4m on the website what the gently caress. The largest site I've worked on was far more complex in structure than GW's current site and ran about £150k before image licensing and re-branding. That included a custom CMS system to boot which I assume was also done for GW. I mean even higher-end pricing for the product photography would only add £50k maximum!?

Sure he could be including the backend stock management & picking system in that figure, but that still would only tack on at most £100k-200k.

Four million pounds. Oh how I'd love to see the complete set of itemisation invoices for that website.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's probably how their hiding losses. Probably, I know someone mentioned it.

I can't believe it would cost 4 million pounds either, now I am not up to date on website design but still that seems rather high.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Creepy Goat posted:

Hahaha £4m on the website what the gently caress. The largest site I've worked on was far more complex in structure than GW's current site and ran about £150k before image licensing and re-branding. That included a custom CMS system to boot which I assume was also done for GW. I mean even higher-end pricing for the product photography would only add £50k maximum!?

Sure he could be including the backend stock management & picking system in that figure, but that still would only tack on at most £100k-200k.

Four million pounds. Oh how I'd love to see the complete set of itemisation invoices for that website.

Are you factoring in purchase of servers and the leased line for that? They put the website in house, nothing external.

Still rather high though.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I understand and encourage weighing a person's personality in the hiring process, but not even looking at the CV is incredibly irresponsible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

But hey, at least someone is worried about 3D printing six years after everybody realized it wasn't a threat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, you seem legit. No I don't need to see a CV.

Games Workshop hires charismatic child murderer as CEO

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Are you factoring in purchase of servers and the leased line for that? They put the website in house, nothing external.

Still rather high though.

That's a good point, didn't realise it was hosted in-house. In that case it's also very likely they would have employed extra personel for maintenance etc. Perhaps the 4mil factors in minimum contract terms for the employees running the site and maintaining the servers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm writing up a kick rear end letter to Games Workshop to be hired as their new CEO, since they don't need a CV, don't do any kind of reference and it's based off an interview.

I will nail that poo poo to the wall.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

All this has significantly de- risked the business. We have far fewer key personnel to replace if need be, and a much lower cost base (£2 million p.a. less). It has cost, in total, around £4.5 million to accomplish. The new web store allows us to sell online more efficiently. It cost around £4 million

Translation: we've spent £8.5 million to make what is by our estimates £2 million of savings per year. It will be more than four years before we've got any return on our investment. And that not counting the fact we've cut our advertising, our outreach, and peoples' ability to engage with us.

quote:

What is really remarkable, however, is that it was all accomplished in five months. The levels of complexity handled by our 'back-office' staff-personnel, IT and accounts–are beyond my descriptive abilities.

Translation: Gavin Thorpe's a better writer than I am.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The new servers cost so much because Kirby's nearly completed his plan to become a dreadnaught, and just needs to upload his brain. And yeah, 8.5m to save 2m a year sure is something. :downs:

I'd love to know what people in charge make of the one-man (are there any run by women?) store idea - it just seems so obviously an awful idea, there must be some benefit I'm not seeing. Staying profitable in the short-term, I guess, no matter the cost. If only they could 3D-print more Kirbynaughts to run them...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It looks like someone screwed the pooch or whatever and posted then took down the Annual report instead of putting up the Pre Amble.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Oh wow, that thing reads... and what it says... just wow.

Place your bets now!
Who thinks that the stock will drop more than 25%?

My money is on it dropping 33% +/- 2% in 3 days, with a 20% drop on day 1.

Also, his analysis of 3D printers is pretty good (as long as you don't factor in common since).

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll go with a 25% drop in stock price even as high as 30%.

27% that's my prediction 3 day based on pulling a number out of my rear end.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Call it a 35% lowest, with a bit of a dead-cat bounce.

e: Yeah, that's overkill, but it was the first number came into my head, so I'll stand by it. :colbert:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Fine I retract my statement, I say a 50% drop in stock, and GW stores across the country get hit by "lightning" and we never hear from Kirby again.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

neonchameleon posted:

Translation: Gavin Thorpe's a better writer than I am.

:thurman: fuuuuuuuck

e: I'm putting my money on 15% plus or minus another 3 percent.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

petrol blue posted:

The new servers cost so much because Kirby's nearly completed his plan to become a dreadnaught, and just needs to upload his brain.

If that were the case they could have just used a PS2 memory stick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm calling 33% loss, dead-cat-bounce not withstanding.

Because jesus christ.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
That... seems incredibly unprofessional. Is it?

Do you think he even realises that GW/40k is operating on a bubble, just like LOTR did and it seems to be bursting?

Edit: going for 25%.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Fuckinell. I'm in for 23%

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Calling 29% here

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I think it drops 100% by the end of the year.

This is the first snowflake in a disaster that is going to snowball into a Enron-Type scandal were we are going to find out about hilarious accounting fraud and embezzlement schemes. stockholders sell everything and several people end up in prison.

I'm getting some popcorn.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Didn't it drop like nearly 25% when they announced their loss of profit earlier this year?

Probably looking at around that figure, likely a bit less followed by a gradual decline

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
An older article from last year.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/games-workshop-abandons-fantasy-plain-140858936.html

quote:

However, he says the biggest threat to the company is internal its own staff . This is why Mr Kirby will only hire employees who understand that Games Workshop’s business ethic is modelled on inventor Thomas Edison’s methodology.

Mr Kirby explains the modus operandi: “After 10,000 attempts to make an incandescent lightbulb, [Edison (Milan: EDNR.MI - news) ] was asked about the 9,999 failures. ‘They weren’t failures, he said. I now know 9,999 ways it won’t work’.”

Well now we know he was talking about himself.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 28, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Hollismason posted:

The hits just keep on coming from Kirby

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/games-workshop-abandons-fantasy-plain-140858936.html

What the gently caress man. Also, it said it released preliminary figures for it but it has not come out yet.

That was 2013 :P

Didn't he also say to ignore the numbers last year and that 13/14 would be better, or did I imagine that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Daedleh posted:

That was 2013 :P

Didn't he also say to ignore the numbers last year and that 13/14 would be better, or did I imagine that?

Yes, I forgot and got my dates confused, I just thought it was funny that exactly last year he was like " Yeah this coming year it's gonna be good".

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

An older article from last year.

Well now we know he was talking about himself.

What the gently caress is an understatement. Edison was making something never before seen in human history. GW is making the exact same loving thing they have been making for the past 30+ years but with a little more detail. And they still manage to mess it up every time. They aren't even consistent about what the screw-up is, too. It's something new every time. Talk about a massive superiority complex.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Creepy Goat posted:

If that were the case they could have just used a PS2 memory stick.

Nah, not enough skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well tommorow is supposedly the big day, we won't hear anything out of GW till probably the end of the day so like 11 to 12 in the US? I think their 6 hours ahead.

I doubt they'd post it in the morning.

Sticking by my 35% drop in stock over 3 days. 15% overall decline in sales.

• Locked thread