Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

daspope posted:

Just a friendly reminder. If you are buying flocking material from FPI Prostar, plan on waiting a while.

That's odd, mine arrived pretty quickly after ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

---_0172 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Is the color on this off, or is it just me?

You should enter this in the July contest thread. That was your intent, right??

Also, this is amazing.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Stormy Beach, St Andrews by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

After living there for a couple of years, I went swimming once at that beach, middle of summer and still loving freezing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Go Slow VII by alkanphel, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I got a new light meter for my GW690! :derp:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Put your cat next to it for comparison :catbert:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Helicity posted:

This fuckin' guy.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Has anybody here shot with a Brownie No. 2? I picked one up the other day and was just wondering if anybody had any tips. I'm not expecting much from it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helicity posted:

I always use an Olympus XA as a meter, personally. It's cheaper and no bigger or heavier than most meters, and it even comes with a conveniently built-in lens and rangefinder!

For some reason my XA also reads just about exactly one stop fast, so mine even goes up to ISO 1600 which is loving rad. I hear you can get a repair guy to do that, and I've always wondered if mine was modified at some point in the past or whether it's just a happy error. :confuoot:

ZippySLC posted:

Has anybody here shot with a Brownie No. 2? I picked one up the other day and was just wondering if anybody had any tips. I'm not expecting much from it.

The intended use of these was basically contact prints so yeah, don't expect to max out a 3200 dpi scanner on it.

Even really lovely lenses will do surprisingly well if you stop them way down, it'll probably be OK at f/22 or whatever the smallest aperture is. Throw some Portra 400 or something in it, shoot sunny 16 with a bias towards stopping down and it could be a fun way to spend an afternoon.

The king of box cameras is really the Zeiss Box Tengor though. They don't even cost much more than I usually see people asking for Brownies. Pro tip antique stores, Brownies are one of the most mass-manufactured cameras on the planet and they're terrible, the value is $5 for the ones that take 120 and $0 otherwise :argh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2014

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ZippySLC posted:

I haven't shot with a Brownie Box, but a Zeiss Box Tengor, the fixed focus version with the "Goerz Frontar" allows apertures of f11/ f/16 and f/22 respectively.
The shutter mechanism is the same as the Brownie Box. It is energized by the downward motion of the shutter; a spring makes it flip back. The shutter speed is 1/25 or thereabouts.

Pro tip: When depressing the shutter don't remove that finger, but keep it depressed. Will reduce shake. Shutter will close anyway.

Sharpness wise, well... it's a single meniscus lens (cemented doublet), so don't expect any miracles, like Paul said these shoot 6x9 (actually closer to 6x10 for me) for contact prints.
Here's some samples, maybe black and white would have fared better. I'm not providing any larger size, because there's no point - it would just be blurrier. So yeah about one megapixel is what you can expect. I shot Ektar 100 in it by the way.

Edit: Some other fun facts: The aperture is really just a circle of sheet metal with various size holes stamped in it. The focus mechanism works similarly, but has various diopter-strength lenses in it. The actual lens is never moved at all.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2014

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I like those shots. The soft focus is actually pretty charming.

The shutter on mine opens when i press the lever down, and then opens back up when i slide it back up. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not. I know it's kind of a moot point but how far away from things do you have to be to be in "focus? "

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VomitOnLino posted:

Here's some samples, maybe black and white would have fared better. I'm not providing any larger size, because there's no point - it would just be blurrier. So yeah about one megapixel is what you can expect. I shot Ektar 100 in it by the way.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. One thing about early lenses is they were designed to work with orthochromatic B+W film that only was sensitive to blue and green light. Therefore there was no need to correct for red light, which let the lenses be even simpler.

Nowadays ortho film is a specialty product at best, but you can use a cyan filter to cut out red light which will improve the sharpness of the image on panchro film. This works on quite a few turn-of-the-century lenses, not just box cameras. If you've got an old lens that's kind of soft it's worth a shot. Stopping down tends to improve this too.

Just shooting on modern panchro B+W films won't help though, it sees the full visible spectrum just like color film.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 26, 2014

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ZippySLC posted:

I like those shots. The soft focus is actually pretty charming.

The shutter on mine opens when i press the lever down, and then opens back up when i slide it back up. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not. I know it's kind of a moot point but how far away from things do you have to be to be in "focus? "

The shutter should close itself and the lever should also return by itself, maybe the spring is tired or broken? Or maybe it has slipped, if you aren't afraid - open her up. These are very very simple cameras and you can't gently caress it up, I also cleaned mine inside out before shooting. Improved the "finder" visibility by a lot.

Focus wise I was standing about a meter (3 feet) away from both the man and the girl, as you see they're still out of focus. So I'd say 3 meters (10 feet) minimum.
That said it's not like it will get drastically sharper anyway. ;)

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Yeah I'll try opening it up and seeing what the situation is. The finders (lol) are definitely dirty as hell. The aperture and shutter speed levers are also hard to raise and lower.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

Some box cameras and other simple cameras have both an "I" ("instantaneous", typically around 1/25) and a T ("time"/"bulb") mode. Might want to double check that you've got it in the "I" mode.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

MrBlandAverage posted:

idk this is also a 20x24 and this guy seems pretty happy

Photographer Luther Gerlach

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Shellman posted:

That's odd, mine arrived pretty quickly after ordering.

I sent them an email last Monday and have not heard back. I tried calling today, but no one picked up and it kept ringing. Hopefully they answer the phone later today or it just shows up in the mail soon.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I ordered on 7/4 and received an email from them about 15 minutes ago. Long flocking lead time :zoid:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Well poo poo, if I'd known it was gonna be an issue I would have just sent some of my extra along. They send a big ol' sheet.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I ordered a few days after you so I should hopefully get an email in the next few days. I did manage to get a flash cable and a lens hood so it will be fun whenever it arrives.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I've got a roll of 120 aerochrome and I FINALLY got some colour filters.

I heard using a green filter will turn vegetation pink, can anyone confirm or deny?

I'll x-post this in the film thread too.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
One end of my 120 rolls keeps coming back like this. Does this guy just suck at developing? Or is this understandable.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

One end of my 120 rolls keeps coming back like this. Does this guy just suck at developing? Or is this understandable.

Unless the end tape is right next to it (e.g. first shot of the roll, maybe not wound to the arrow completely), your lab guy is a hack. Never happened to me.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Spent 121 days on this steaming heap of piss and am not fond of the memory of it or the idea of dusting the negs so EAD

I got my Nikkor 360mm f.6.5 yesterday. Thing is loving enormous. It's almost comical.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 31, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Meena Sundry Shop by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

3/5 of a 6x6 frame

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

3/5 of a 6x6 frame

A compromise.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
There's a joke about not posting mean things when you get home late on a friday night in there somewhere :/

deaders fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 2, 2014

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

deaders posted:

There's a joke about a 6x6 frame within that 6x6 frame somewhere

GBS has hella fat girl threads ATM, try posting it in one of those.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Beo Crescent by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

There's a joke about a 6x6 frame within that 6x6 frame somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sn_g7aWGoU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Working on some pictures from vacation. Been going to the same place since before I was born and I'm trying to do a better job of documenting it.

Long Pond, Mt. Desert Island ME by spikemccue, on Flickr

Mt. Desert, 2014 by spikemccue, on Flickr

Diana by spikemccue, on Flickr

Family Meeting by spikemccue, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Awkward Davies posted:

Working on some pictures from vacation. Been going to the same place since before I was born and I'm trying to do a better job of documenting it.

Long Pond, Mt. Desert Island ME by spikemccue, on Flickr

Mt. Desert, 2014 by spikemccue, on Flickr

Diana by spikemccue, on Flickr

Family Meeting by spikemccue, on Flickr

I'm digging these

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I like your style awkward davies, they feel quite intimate. Just not digging the third one, it is awkward but not in a good way.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
2nd and last are best

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
2nd is my favorite. God I love the look of film.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

I'm digging these

Genderfluid posted:

2nd and last are best

ZippySLC posted:

2nd is my favorite. God I love the look of film.

Thanks!

deaders posted:

I like your style awkward davies, they feel quite intimate. Just not digging the third one, it is awkward but not in a good way.

Hm, why is the third awkward to you? Does it feel posed? (It's not) It's a crop, would it be better with someone else in it?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Double exposure with the RB is a little awkward.

Morey Place by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Question: Is this photo salvageable? I hosed up the horizon and I'm not sure the tighter crop that results from my attempt to straighten it in post really work:

Original:

img488.jpg by spikemccue, on Flickr

Straightened:

img488.jpg by spikemccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 3, 2014

• Locked thread