Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm still not sure that any/all of the bonuses actually work or work the way their tool tip says they're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Epic thread of hate. If anybody wants to actually play, I'm usually hanging out in the War Thunder channel on camping the stairs mumble.

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 27, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Eatpants posted:

I'm usually hanging out in the War Thunder channel on camping the stairs.

What is this?

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
I have a pretty good low-end spec high performance user.cfg but I can't figure out how to post it without a giant wall of text.

My bad PC:
Phenom II X4 B45 (3ghz)
4gb ddr2
geforce 560ti

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eatpants posted:

Edit: mumble info

Hey bozo, don't post that poo poo here. Right in the OP of the CTS thread it says...

quote:

You may give this out to members of your groups that you play games with, just don't post it publicly.

This thread is public, that's why the info is hidden away in the private games section.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Fixed; Thank you

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Eatpants posted:

Epic thread of hate. If anybody wants to actually play, I'm usually hanging out in the War Thunder channel on camping the stairs mumble.

I know that being an elitist dick is pretty much a prerequisite for playing MWO, but asking people to play with you and then repeatedly ignoring them in Mumble/in-game is just rude. You're playing MWO, you don't get to be selective.

For content's sake, this game still sucks. Someone make good use of this thread and recommend me a good, fun game that has a slightly more tolerable robots:lies ratio.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Vorenus posted:

I know that being an elitist dick is pretty much a prerequisite for playing MWO, but asking people to play with you and then repeatedly ignoring them in Mumble/in-game is just rude. You're playing MWO, you don't get to be selective.

For content's sake, this game still sucks. Someone make good use of this thread and recommend me a good, fun game that has a slightly more tolerable robots:lies ratio.

Well then I guess maybe try Robocraft. It's a F2P game that lets you build machines in weird ways and then you go fight other robocrafts? There was a game similar to it on kickstarter and I think it had a thread here but this robocraft is a different game. You customize robot machines with weapons and armor and then go kill stuff. What got me hooked was the guy saying he saw a penis as a turret on a tank and that got me hooked.

I am kinda drunk tho so YMMV TIA.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hawken is pretty fun, but like everything else out there it's a lot faster paced than MWO. Really, if you want something with the same pace and weight you have to go back to the other Mechwarrior games.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Fil5000 posted:

Hawken is pretty fun, but like everything else out there it's a lot faster paced than MWO. Really, if you want something with the same pace and weight you have to go back to the other Mechwarrior games.

All of which have way more interesting things to do in them than MWO which is still team death match basically.

Most of them have terrible multiplayer balances but there is fun and interesting missions.

Also I got Starsiege boxed for like 5 bucks a couple weeks back. I ought to see it it works in Windows 7 or my Windows 98 SE rig.

Plus you know, Heavy Gear 1-2. ( and maybe get that Dreamcast Gundam game)

I want to love MWO. But I don't. Nothing to do and the Word is gone so there is nobody to shoot the poo poo with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've been playing this since the clans dropped, and yes, I spent money on a bad game. It can be fun, but man, some of the design decisions are frustrating. I want to just pilot a nova prime all day and wreck poo poo all day long, but apparently I have to pilot 2 crappy nova configurations just to be good at the only nova that matters.

Not only that, but for some reason getting in a mech's rear arc with a nova isn't instant death for that mech????? Also thanks pgi for making it so that firing all of my guns = instant death. Yeah I know it's supposed to be a heat boat, but it was never that bad in any previous incarnation of the mech. Good job with that, I guess?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A.o.D. posted:

I've been playing this since the clans dropped, and yes, I spent money on a bad game. It can be fun, but man, some of the design decisions are frustrating. I want to just pilot a nova prime all day and wreck poo poo all day long, but apparently I have to pilot 2 crappy nova configurations just to be good at the only nova that matters.

Not only that, but for some reason getting in a mech's rear arc with a nova isn't instant death for that mech????? Also thanks pgi for making it so that firing all of my guns = instant death. Yeah I know it's supposed to be a heat boat, but it was never that bad in any previous incarnation of the mech. Good job with that, I guess?

Why are you telling the incredibly disenchanted community that you are supporting the company that almost unanimously feel have killed their favorite IP? What are you expecting the response is going to be?

Admitting to buying clan mechs with real money should be a punishable offence.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vorenus posted:

I jumped ship for Warthunder. WWII Planes & Tanks admittedly aren't robots and Warthunder sadly doesn't let us build custom hilarious comedy wagons, although some actual WWII designs come pretty close to most of the crazy poo poo we'd do. Also goons are just as ridiculously dominant at Warthunder as we were at MWO back in the day due to our mastery of such skills as "Watching each other's backs" and "Attempting to accomplish the objectives."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Why are you telling the incredibly disenchanted community that you are supporting the company that almost unanimously feel have killed their favorite IP? What are you expecting the response is going to be?

Admitting to buying clan mechs with real money should be a punishable offence.

If there were a better option for me to stomp around in a comedy 8xer large laser dire wolf, I'd be all over it. There's just no worthwhile competition in the multiplayer stompy mech genre.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

chairface posted:

I jumped ship for Warthunder. WWII Planes & Tanks admittedly aren't robots and Warthunder sadly doesn't let us build custom hilarious comedy wagons, although some actual WWII designs come pretty close to most of the crazy poo poo we'd do. Also goons are just as ridiculously dominant at Warthunder as we were at MWO back in the day due to our mastery of such skills as "Watching each other's backs" and "Attempting to accomplish the objectives."

Sometimes I only accelerate for short bursts to simulate taking steps while driving my WT tanks and pretend I'm commanding one of those

:allears:

Also the lack of WW2 mech games is really frustrating, Silent Storm is nice enough, but I played through that a million times by now and it only features rather tiny exo-skeleton like mechs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fil5000 posted:

Chromehounds :sigh:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

If you like that and can handle a crappy interface, checkout MAV. It's on steam too.

I don't mean like a UI 2.0 crappy, I mean like early alpha -only meant for devs- style interface.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah man it's rough. Honestly heat, especially on any hot map, feels a little too rough. Even with 4-5 medium lasers I feel like I can't get enough heatsinks to keep the pressure on.

I do love my 4x MG Ember though. It really shreds.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah man it's rough. Honestly heat, especially on any hot map, feels a little too rough. Even with 4-5 medium lasers I feel like I can't get enough heatsinks to keep the pressure on.

I do love my 4x MG Ember though. It really shreds.

This is because, as usual, PGI has no loving idea how to competently design and balance weapon systems and never ever recovered from their hackneyed conversion of TT stats to a real time FPS game. Weapons all fire 2-many times faster than their TT iterations do, but heatsinks sink exactly the same amount of heat they do in TT timescales. In addition to that, they refuse to use all the balancing tools at their disposal in terms of adjusting weights and sizes of weapons, because they would then have to adjust stock mech builds.

They also don't get such bedrock fundamentals of FPS design concerning the difference between sniper rifles vs machine guns. The pinpoint burst damage from a sniper rifle is inherently much better than a spray and pray weapon like an MG, because it exposes you to return fire far less, is more accurate to enable headshotting, etc. Thus, to be balanced, the sniper weapon must have much lower actual DPS than a rapid fire weapon.
Additionally, short range weapons must have higher DPS than long range weapons, such that if you look at closure times, someone armed with short range kit has a chance to deal equivalent damage to someone running a long range load that can open fire from much further away. The other factor is that weapon damage was amped up far more than armor was, with health pools low enough to additionally favor sniper weapons, and let them effectively focus fire to give brawlers no chance to close. Map design was yet another factor here. It's a whole systemic problem, and it was never ever grasped or adequately addressed.

MWO, Unlike MW:LL, never understood either of those points, hence the overwhelming preponderance of long range sniper mechs ruling the roost for aaaaages, until hamfisted changes that didn't directly address the problem were bolted on top of the poorly designed system to try and nudge it in a different direction. They knew there was a problem, but they had no idea how to fix it, despite it being such an old and long since solved problem in FPS games since the dawn of time.

TLDR gently caress paul.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
But my table top values!

*is lead designer, ruins game*

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
You forgot to mention in your OP that if you play at any time (even if you just log in for 1 minute) they count you as a player retained for the next 30 days (or more).

Chomp8645 posted:

But my table top values!

*is lead designer, ruins game*

*heavy breathing*

Shala fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 28, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shala posted:

You forgot to mention in your OP that if you play at any time (even if you just log in for 1 minute) they count you as a player retained for the next 30 days (or more).

I wonder if the website counts for this. I logged in there to prove I hadn't spent any money, and I now a retained MechWarrior Online player?

Because that would be funny.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 80% certain back when I gave a poo poo we confirmed that they did indeed count those logins.

I might be wrong though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

This is because, as usual, PGI has no loving idea how to competently design and balance weapon systems and never ever recovered from their hackneyed conversion of TT stats to a real time FPS game. Weapons all fire 2-many times faster than their TT iterations do, but heatsinks sink exactly the same amount of heat they do in TT timescales. In addition to that, they refuse to use all the balancing tools at their disposal in terms of adjusting weights and sizes of weapons, because they would then have to adjust stock mech builds.

They also don't get such bedrock fundamentals of FPS design concerning the difference between sniper rifles vs machine guns. The pinpoint burst damage from a sniper rifle is inherently much better than a spray and pray weapon like an MG, because it exposes you to return fire far less, is more accurate to enable headshotting, etc. Thus, to be balanced, the sniper weapon must have much lower actual DPS than a rapid fire weapon.
Additionally, short range weapons must have higher DPS than long range weapons, such that if you look at closure times, someone armed with short range kit has a chance to deal equivalent damage to someone running a long range load that can open fire from much further away. The other factor is that weapon damage was amped up far more than armor was, with health pools low enough to additionally favor sniper weapons, and let them effectively focus fire to give brawlers no chance to close. Map design was yet another factor here. It's a whole systemic problem, and it was never ever grasped or adequately addressed.

MWO, Unlike MW:LL, never understood either of those points, hence the overwhelming preponderance of long range sniper mechs ruling the roost for aaaaages, until hamfisted changes that didn't directly address the problem were bolted on top of the poorly designed system to try and nudge it in a different direction. They knew there was a problem, but they had no idea how to fix it, despite it being such an old and long since solved problem in FPS games since the dawn of time.

TLDR gently caress paul.

The really should have taken a bigger cue from Solaris 7. 1 medium laser basically has the same DPS as a PPC, but a PPC can hit you from anywhere and does all of its damage in one spot. Of course, that brings up the problem of how damage is too focused in MWO, negating the drawback of weapons arrays.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chomp8645 posted:

I wonder if the website counts for this. I logged in there to prove I hadn't spent any money, and I now a retained MechWarrior Online player?

Because that would be funny.

One of the fun new UI 2.0 features was claiming people were actually playing if they had logged into the forums recently.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

One of the fun new UI 2.0 features was claiming people were actually playing if they had logged into the forums recently.

Ahaha, classic lovely developer tactic. Artificially inflate your player count to make it seem like more people play your lovely game than really are.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Ahaha, classic lovely developer tactic. Artificially inflate your player count to make it seem like more people play your lovely game than really are.

What's funny is that you can infer how many total accounts there are from looking at how many user accounts there are on the forums, and you can even go back in time and see how many accounts there were at any given times. I was incredibly bored at one point and am a huge loser so I was tracking how many new accounts they were getting for a while. Back in August-September of last year they were getting ~450 new accounts per day, and that number was trending downwards, as was the average number of posts per day.

You can also do more fun fake math by doing stuff like assuming the average amount of money they were making per account. The internet told me that World of Tanks was an average of something like $15 per account, so during the period I was tracking it it seemed like they were making about $7 million in revenue per year. Based on incredibly shaky information. I still don't know if that's a lot.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Whatever conclusion you come to, the fact remains that Microsoft is happy enough with what they are doing to give them the license until the end of time.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

pixelbaron posted:

Whatever conclusion you come to, the fact remains that Microsoft is happy enough with what they are doing to give them the license until the end of time.

Some revenue is better than nothing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

Are you dying of cancer? Because that's the only way they have it until the "end of time". They have provisional exclusivity until 2016 at which point Microsoft can decide to extend it if they're still happy.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Are you dying of cancer? Because that's the only way they have it until the "end of time". They have provisional exclusivity until 2016 at which point Microsoft can decide to extend it if they're still happy.

Which is quite possible. After 2.5 years of broken promises, horrible design decisions, and a clear disregard for any content that was not cash-only, they still had a bunch of success with the Clan sale. Granted, that also generated the biggest wave of backlash they've ever received, but it still sold. Microsoft will keep licensing them as long as it's profitable, and the playerbase is clearly in a constant state of starvation for lovely things to spend money on. I can't wait to check the forums before the end of the year and see people complaining about the new *insert Clan chassis here* hero that opens up some new style of play for that chassis and makes the others not quite obsolete but not as good, all while furiously digging through their wallets to put in their CC info.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, but the issue here is exclusivity. I don't think anyone expect Microsoft to actually revoke the Mechwarrior license from PGI (although they would in a just and caring world), but that doesn't mean they have to grant them exclusivity. When 2016 comes around Microsoft can easily decide to start selling license access to other game makers as well.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Chomp8645 posted:

THE END OF TIME

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

THE END OF TIME

Woe is me.

And you. And everyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was able to get a refund out of them.

It went from Niko to Reppu to Ian (Director of Live Operations).

They refunded my unspent MC.

For a game that is so unequivocally bad, they do at least do some customer service. It just took me 10 emails over the course of a week+.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey guys, c'mon, let's stop with the hate, let's remember the GOOD TIMES. :unsmith:

Remember the excitement?

The time those synch drops put us on opposite sides?

What about Goon THUNDERDOME?

All the angry pubbies?

And all the sweet fanart and propaganda we made?

Those were the days. :gbsmith:

:smithicide:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The greatest MWO vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-K1HhvaNNo

"Honestly, those guys are the scum of humanity."
"Yeah, but they beat us."
-Blackburn's Rangers

:smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

still so relevant

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I was able to get a refund out of them.

It went from Niko to Reppu to Ian (Director of Live Operations).

They refunded my unspent MC.

For a game that is so unequivocally bad, they do at least do some customer service. It just took me 10 emails over the course of a week+.

Wow they are at least more professional than the lovely Hawken team then. They sure as hell wouldn't refund a red cent of my game cash after their big dev hissyfit of "Hey lets change everything!" to "Oh gently caress this was all a bad idea, we better revert everything back to 6 months ago." Wonder what it is about these FTP mech games that makes the people running them so desperate and incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
I only ever got my Project Penix refunded. I got enough fun outta my founders pack I felt, back when it was actually drat fun by accident.

I didn't have much trouble, but I think that was because I did it during the landslide of Op Penix refunds and they were tired of dealing with people.

• Locked thread