Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
As far as I know, it's standard practice for reports to be produced at the start of business hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
All business practices in England are done backwards.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm so excited for tomorrow.

Did anybody here predict July as the beginning of GWs demise?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BULBASAUR posted:

I just looked at the OP and we took bets on when they'd be done for good, not the beginning of the end.

I still have 4/20/2015 :toot:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd like to remind everyone all bets are final. :getin:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The news of kirbys departure, if pushed by the shareholders will probably give the stock a bit of a boost.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm guessing if and when GW burns out, 40k will be bought up, but have there been any indications or thoughts as to what might happen to Fantasy? I know it's a smaller, less popular line.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

That letter sounds like a livejournal blog. Is that normal? If so I want to read comparable ones from, say, apple and Microsoft which should be a hoot.

It is completely insane by any measure. Say what you will about the emptiness of corporate speak, but one of the base reasons it exists is to reassure stakeholders that non insane people are in charge. Something this fails badly.

The word crony should at no point appear

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Night10194 posted:

I'm guessing if and when GW burns out, 40k will be bought up, but have there been any indications or thoughts as to what might happen to Fantasy? I know it's a smaller, less popular line.

The only reason its less popular is because its way more of an investment and more technical. As much as I wouldn't like it, someone could streamline the rules for fantasy and make less of an entrance barrier by encouraging smaller games and it'd be a much more popular game.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Two Feet From Bread posted:

June 2, 2014, GW will announce abysmal annual results and that GW or parts of GW are up for sale and that LotR/Hobbit will be dropped as a product line.

BULBASAUR posted:

I have the month off but my intent was that this FY earning result is what ends up causing GW die.

Thundercracker posted:

It is completely insane by any measure. Say what you will about the emptiness of corporate speak, but one of the base reasons it exists is to reassure stakeholders that non insane people are in charge. Something this fails badly.

The word crony should at no point appear

Or should it? (It shouldn't)

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm going to go with... hrm... 32% drop

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Gonna stake my claim on approximately 31.4%!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

40%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwLPBdIXlk

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I feel like you guys missed an opportunity to name the thread "Games Workshop 2014: Deathwatch"

I'll toss my hat in at 25% post bounce.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Business Gorillas posted:

As much as I wouldn't like it, someone could streamline the rules for fantasy and make less of an entrance barrier by encouraging smaller games and it'd be a much more popular game.

So Kings of War? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Edit: ^^ :argh:

Business Gorillas posted:

The only reason its less popular is because its way more of an investment and more technical. As much as I wouldn't like it, someone could streamline the rules for fantasy and make less of an entrance barrier by encouraging smaller games and it'd be a much more popular game.

Someone already did that, it's called Kings of War :v:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
http://www.oandp.com/resources/projects/stocker/Corporate_Deathspiral.pdf

This seems quite relevant. It's not as long as it first appears - the interesting stuff starts on page 18.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

BabelFish posted:

"Games Workshop 2014: Deathwatch"

:golfclap:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BabelFish posted:

I feel like you guys missed an opportunity to name the thread "Games Workshop 2014: Deathwatch"

Only works if our kill team gets to drop pod into one of their board meetings and hose down the room with heavy flamers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well. That letter and report have been removed from the website. Seems they were put up early. Either that or someone with some brains realised how silly that preamble was.

As an aside, Kirby has been talking of retirement for a few years now. The people I've been talking to said that his leaving this early is a surprise, but it was kind of expected sooner rather than later.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

Well. That letter and report have been removed from the website. Seems they were put up early. Either that or someone with some brains realised how silly that preamble was.

As an aside, Kirby has been talking of retirement for a few years now. The people I've been talking to said that his leaving this early is a surprise, but it was kind of expected sooner rather than later.

I was able to load (and save) the preamble again just now. If you're talking about things besides the preamble, I don't know about those.

I wonder what sort of person will replace him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

I was able to load (and save) the preamble again just now. If you're talking about things besides the preamble, I don't know about those.

I wonder what sort of person will replace him.

Its not linked anywhere on the site. I imagine the direct link is still working as its not been deleted, just hidden.

And I'm hoping they get someone in from one of the big retail chains. John Lewis would be best.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
One of you well connected folks should 'leak' this.

I'd be exited to read comments from people on BOLS defending GWs business practices. :allears:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

BULBASAUR posted:

One of you well connected folks should 'leak' this.

I'd be exited to read comments from people on BOLS defending GWs business practices. :allears:

I'm not sure if I'm correctly reading between the lines here or not, but please don't make up financial results for a company.

Edit: vvvv My mistake, carry on good sir

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sorry- I'm talking about the letter. Nothing to do with fake numbers.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Are you implying that white people stole table top wargaming from black people?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

LordAba posted:

Nah, they stole it from Asians. I mean, what do you think this was?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

LordAba posted:

No, that's been retconned out of existence. They're not black, it's just a reaction to radiation. Painters mistake.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going for December 29, 2014.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

29.4% on the stock price drop.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The report is up, and it's not pretty

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Games-Workshop-Group-14-combined-FINAL.pdf

£11 million loss in revenue, looks like about a 45% loss in operating profit

I can't even do my own taxes properly, so I'm gonna rely on other people to analyse it

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 29, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The lede is that the dividend per share is halved. But the damning statement is to call the idea of using focus groups, doing demographic research, or asking the market what it wants "otiose" and boasting they do not do it on page 5.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Games-Workshop-Group-14-combined-FINAL.pdf

I can't even do my own taxes properly, so I'm gonna rely on other people to analyse it

Its...well, its not good. Those are the kind of numbers that will make the big pension investment shareholders question their commitment.

They havent included the major issue facing their retail stores either, that their customer count is 30% lower than it was last year.

Seems they've used the website as a catch for all their 'streamlining'. £3million of the websites cost was redundancy payments for staff they got rid of. Its real cost was £0.9 million.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 29, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Earnings per share dropped by more than 50% in a year.

Shareholders are going to see that and they are going to RUN.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone else now getting a 404 from the link?

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Anyone else now getting a 404 from the link?

Yep. That's some 4 million pound website they got there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Apparently they uploaded it to two different locations, because it's still here http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2013-14-Press-statement-final-website.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

serious gaylord posted:

Its...well, its not good. Those are the kind of numbers that will make the big pension investment shareholders question their commitment.

They havent included the major issue facing their retail stores either, that their customer count is 30% lower than it was last year.

Seems they've used the website as a catch for all their 'streamlining'. £3million of the websites cost was redundancy payments for staff they got rid of. Its real cost was £0.9 million.

:stare: God drat. There is no way anyone can spin that as other than bad (unless they are just delusional or a pathological liar).

• Locked thread